Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: DANDER UP, DANDER DOWN  (Read 9347 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: DANDER UP, DANDER DOWN
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »

so tired
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »

Vibes for DS Craig

vixmom

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »

I am sorry TCB  - but I understand your concerns

vixmom

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »

sorry falling asleep

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

Druxy - I need to know - did you send me a link on facebook  or have you been hacked?  I am afraid to click on the link after my virus episode of last week

FJL

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »

Thanks for the hacky-cough chuckles and better-health wishes.

FJL

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

Thanks for your comments, Jeanne.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »

Well, that was a long day.  After lunch at Barney's Beanery, I picked up a couple of packages and then began rehearsal with The Singer.  She ran through the entire show, very nervously - her first time through actually doing it in front of someone.  It was the best thing for her - things were rough, but clearly we have made a very good act, with great songs and fun patter.  But she does not own the patter yet, nor the songs, nor is she the driver of the show.  That is the metaphor I use - she is the driver and we're all passengers and she's taking us on a tour and is always in charge - the various places we stop and how we get there always need to be fun and surprising. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »

After we finished the run, we had a really intensive work session - several hours of it.  We began at the beginning and I basically stopped her after every line of patter and after every line of a lyric - we discussed the intention of the song, the shape of the song, and then how to bring variety and color to it.  She took lots of notes, and we ran each thing several times.  I rewrote some patter, making it sound more in her voice, but basically it was dissecting the songs and figuring out how to make them work as well as they can.  She's very talented, listens, and is able to assimilate and do.  She'll now go off on her own tomorrow and work all these notes, and then we'll get together on Friday and do the same thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »

That took about four hours total.  Now I am listening to music and catching up on the Internet and wondering why we are on page five.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »

It is most unseemly and I feel a bitch-slapping is coming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »

Jane, I haven't seen Waiting for Superman yet, but will.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »

I am so bored of the Spiderman crap.  The cynic in me believes this has been planned for weeks and that it was drawn out like this (announcing that there would be an announcement, and then endlessly leaking information) so they could get as much publicity as they could, because, let's face it, sales were dropping every week, publicity had dwindled because people were so tired of hearing about it, and this was the perfect way to jack up interest again.  Now they'll shut down and do work they should have done long ago - but the people doing the work are, how shall we say, not exactly theater magicians or theater people who have been around the boards a lot - which is really who they need.  The new director has directed exactly one Broadway show, and that wasn't especially memorable save for its leading man - The Boy from Oz.  The new book writer wrote some Spiderman comics and did a reworked book that apparently didn't solve much for It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman, which had its one and only production thus far in Dallas.  If they had true theater pros who were experts, three weeks of work would not be an impossible dream, but one has to believe that with this team and being tied to a physical production that cannot change that much (especially the flying sequences, which I can guarantee you will not change) not that much will happen.  These producers, I must say, make me nauseous.  They don't care how much money they spend or what kind of awful precedents they set.  This little 65 million dollar musical will now suddenly have a budget of 80 million dollars and, presuming they do make it palatable to critics (doubtful, but who knows) and audiences, they would still have to run at capacity and full price ticket sales for over eight years to even begin to break even - and if they're not selling out it will take twelve years.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »

Ash Wednesday two years ago was the day I got laid off.

:(
You know, I don't think so. I was liberated from something that was soul-numbing. I may be a lot poorer, but I feel more positive about things and have certainly gained a healthier perspective on life. I am not my job. And I needed to learn that.

Still, I would like a job ... though maybe not until after the first semester of college is over.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

I am so bored of the Spiderman crap.  The cynic in me believes this has been planned for weeks and that it was drawn out like this (announcing that there would be an announcement, and then endlessly leaking information) so they could get as much publicity as they could, because, let's face it, sales were dropping every week, publicity had dwindled because people were so tired of hearing about it, and this was the perfect way to jack up interest again.  Now they'll shut down and do work they should have done long ago - but the people doing the work are, how shall we say, not exactly theater magicians or theater people who have been around the boards a lot - which is really who they need.  The new director has directed exactly one Broadway show, and that wasn't especially memorable save for its leading man - The Boy from Oz.  The new book writer wrote some Spiderman comics and did a reworked book that apparently didn't solve much for It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman, which had its one and only production thus far in Dallas.  If they had true theater pros who were experts, three weeks of work would not be an impossible dream, but one has to believe that with this team and being tied to a physical production that cannot change that much (especially the flying sequences, which I can guarantee you will not change) not that much will happen.  These producers, I must say, make me nauseous.  They don't care how much money they spend or what kind of awful precedents they set.  This little 65 million dollar musical will now suddenly have a budget of 80 million dollars and, presuming they do make it palatable to critics (doubtful, but who knows) and audiences, they would still have to run at capacity and full price ticket sales for over eight years to even begin to break even - and if they're not selling out it will take twelve years.
Thank you. It is boring. What I find funny is that the twerp from the New York Post, who has been attacking the show from the beginning, is now attacking the attempts to improve it. It's all publicity -- and, hey, why not get Charlie Sheen to star in it. He's available now.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »

Mega-vibes for TCB.

Vibes that your cough-y break ends, FJL.

And vibes for anyone else needing them.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »

Thank you. It is boring. What I find funny is that the twerp from the New York Post, who has been attacking the show from the beginning, is now attacking the attempts to improve it. It's all publicity -- and, hey, why not get Charlie Sheen to star in it. He's available now.

Yes! That's what Julie Taymor needs: Tiger Blood!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

I will say that the choice of the new director - whom I've actually worked with in the past - is at least, in my eyes, an acknowledgement that the producers are truly seeing this show as more of an "Entertainment" than the "mythic creation" that Julie Taymor envisioned. -For better or worse.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »

Oh...

What's in Spock's Scanner

*You may have to view this in full screen to make it easier to "read". ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »

Wow, I get so tired right at 10:00PM everyday.  I guess that's my internal clock telling me something.

:-[
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »

My internal clock is telling me we're still on page five.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »

I'm listening to a score for maybe one of the worst films made in the 1980s and maybe one of the worst ever - but the score is a good deal of fun, so maybe I'll put the thing out.

Sam

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »

So, there's this guy.

He smokes, I have bad lungs.
He drinks, I have 20 years in AA (next month).
He's loud and noisy and uncontrollable.  I'm trying to blend in and not be noticed around here.
He's been married 4 times.  And divorced 4 times.
He's younger than me.  I'm older than him.

Is this my mid life crisis happening, the unattainable bad boy syndrome whirling around me.  Is it OK to just have a good time and hope for sanity to prevail.

I gave in.  Knew better.  Didn't matter.

Too much info.  ;D

Sam

« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »

Night.

Thank goodness for work 40+hours a week, at least there I have to be sane.

:)

Sam

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

Vibes for all of us.  Lots and lots of vibes.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »

And...

I just finished a 30-minute phone call...

And after one more phone call tomorrow, I can finally officially announce my good news. :)

Ooo...can't wait to find out what it is.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up