Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAINS CAME  (Read 11011 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE RAINS CAME
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »

Like Page Two.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And other DRs have already commented, it is raining in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »

I'm up, I've printed out a nice batch of orders (hopefully with more arriving during the day), and soon will be shipping.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »

And...

I was thinking of getting some more move-related work done today, but...

I'm seriously considering just being a total homebody today.

We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »

Well if you go out, you can get a free hot chocolate.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »

Well if you go out, you can get a free hot chocolate.

Yes, I can. "With" or "Without". :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »

There's an Ohio connection to the title of today's notes:  The Rains Came is a novel by

Louis Bromfield

I have toured his home, Malabar Farm, near Mansfield, OH.  Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were married there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »

"Carnival" story on Theatermania.com:

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york/news/03-2011/carnivals-original-london-cast-recording-to-be-rel_35274.html

I must say that I fnd the cover photo a hoot; the leading lady looks less naive and waiflike and more an angry punkette.

At first view, I thought it was Kaye Ballard.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEXEME!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

Hmmm...I can't seem to recall the words to the Maureen McGovern ballad in THE SWARM...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »

Hmmm...I can't seem to recall the words to the Maureen McGovern ballad in THE SWARM...

We May Never Buzz Like This Again, perhaps

FJL

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »

There's Got to Bee A Swarming After?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

From Cilla:
I have heard very good reviews of THE LINCOLN LAWYER  from criminal defense lawyers.

My brother reads the books & liked the movie. 

Jane

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »

DR TCB at 53 years young I expected the turn out to be very large. I'm glad the service was as Marcus would have liked it.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »

It is snowing.-GROAN!

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »

Weather woes here, too.  Richard and I were just gearing up to take a walk outside and now we're hearing thunder.  Guess I'll walk in the basement today...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Why can't we go to war with Mexico, or even Canada?  That would allow us to have all the day's activities take place in the same time zones, instead of getting up in the morning and finding out what already happened that day in Libya.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »

That is toooo scary to be funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »

The librarian at my library really upset me this morning.

I never really want to ask her to do anything because she usually acts like she does not like me.  But today the librarian at the front desk said I had to ask the other lady something.

A book had come in (the new Lisa Gardner book) that I had wanted since I first heard the title (I requested it at least 6 months ago). Anyhow they lost my reservation AGAIN (I keep track so i am almost positive I gave it in).

Anyhow the librarian who does not like me crossed the line. She looked at me and said, "how come this does not happen to anyone else but it keeps happening to you?" (implying I was lying).

I just couldn't believe she said that even if she thought it. I told her that whenever it has happened before and the librarian has looked really hard for it they almost always find it. Plus if I reserve 100 books a year and someone else reserves 10, isn't more likely to happen to me. Plus most people are probably too shy or not 100% sure they actually reserved the book.

She ended up ruining my swim because I was so shocked that she would say that. The other librarian told me to start photocopying my slips. I am going to do that and have the person i hand them in to sign my photocopy.

:(

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Then there were 2 extremely slow people in the fast lane. And they kept going ahead of me. So i had to wait every single time I got to the end, which was annoying.

At least there was nobody in line for the shower or changing room when i got out. And nobody walked in on my shower, although i really hurried because I wasn't in the mood for anyone to walk in. :)

Jane

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:54 AM »

I never really want to ask her to do anything because she usually acts like she does not like me.  But today the librarian at the front desk said I had to ask the other lady something.

A book had come in (the new Lisa Gardner book) that I had wanted since I first heard the title (I requested it at least 6 months ago). Anyhow they lost my reservation AGAIN (I keep track so i am almost positive I gave it in).

Anyhow the librarian who does not like me crossed the line. She looked at me and said, "how come this does not happen

The other librarian told me to start photocopying my slips. I am going to do that and have the person i hand them in to sign my photocopy.

That is a good idea.  Too bad you can't do it all on-line like I do.  I can track where the book is (library & due date) and my spot on the queue.  It isn't perfect but over-all I'm pleased.  I can also put a hold on my spot & begin it again in the same place I left off.  Of course this extra perk can also keep me at the same number in the queue longer if someone ahead of me dropped out & returned.  A couple of times I've noticed my number go up a spot instead of down but at least I know why it happened.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »

And nobody walked in on my shower, although i really hurried because I wasn't in the mood for anyone to walk in. :)

;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »

Anyhow the librarian who does not like me crossed the line. She looked at me and said, "how come this does not happen to anyone else but it keeps happening to you?" (implying I was lying).

I just couldn't believe she said that even if she thought it. I told her that whenever it has happened before and the librarian has looked really hard for it they almost always find it. Plus if I reserve 100 books a year and someone else reserves 10, isn't more likely to happen to me. Plus most people are probably too shy or not 100% sure they actually reserved the book.

She ended up ruining my swim because I was so shocked that she would say that. The other librarian told me to start photocopying my slips. I am going to do that and have the person i hand them in to sign my photocopy.

How rude! >:(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »

DR Jennifer - My advice....go into your bed room...climb under the covers...get back up and start the day again!   Or you can always eat chocolate.   

Sorry you're having such a bad day

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »

Anyhow the librarian who does not like me crossed the line. She looked at me and said, "how come this does not happen

The other librarian told me to start photocopying my slips. I am going to do that and have the person i hand them in to sign my photocopy.

That is a good idea.  Too bad you can't do it all on-line like I do.  I can track where the book is (library & due date) and my spot on the queue.  It isn't perfect but over-all I'm pleased.  I can also put a hold on my spot & begin it again in the same place I left off.  Of course this extra perk can also keep me at the same number in the queue longer if someone ahead of me dropped out & returned.  A couple of times I've noticed my number go up a spot instead of down but at least I know why it happened.

She was flat-out RUDE and UNprofessional, Jennifer.  Report her.  She has no right talking to any patron like that.  She obviously doesn't like her job since she finds it difficult to be pleasant with the patrons.

Dis the witch!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »

I expect the nasty librarian didn't apologize when you mentioned the slips were found.  It makes me wonder if she is trying to hide her personal incompetency.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »

It has stopped snowing.  I'm off to hike & do errands.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »

Like BK, I experienced rains of epic proportions over the weekend.  Friday afternoon/evening was really something.  Thought it had played itself out by Saturday afternoon, but no.  Saturday night was a monsoon.

In a lull right now, but more rain this evening.  Another storm expected to move in tomorrow e'en.  Another on Thursday.  And more on the weekend.

Lawsy....m-o-o-n, that spells rain.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »

Ricky didn't wait outside my shower today. When I'm on the computer in the evening, he sits on his roost and looks over my shoulder at the computer screen.  It seems like everytime I write about him, he stops doing whatever it was I wrote about.  I'm beginning to wonder if he can actually read. 

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »

I expect the nasty librarian didn't apologize when you mentioned the slips were found.  It makes me wonder if she is trying to hide her personal incompetency.

I would report her. But I think she is very high up in the chain of command. She is in charge of acquiring all the books. She is the head reference librarian.

I don't think she's incompetent. And I don't think she dislikes her job. The system is very flawed (handing in book requests on slips of paper). They know it's flawed. If she had just said she was sorry this kept happening to me. And that she would try to look for the slip I would have been okay.

She just doesn't like me I think because I always call her on it whenever there is an error. And I am pretty sure that nobody else does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up