Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SMOOTH OPERATOR  (Read 13369 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: SMOOTH OPERATOR
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 05:20:13 AM »

Akron vibes for DR GINNY
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »

TOD:

DVD - BluRay of Kansas City Confidential which MR BK wrote about a week or so ago.

CD:  Carnival! OLC

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »

And here is Miss Allison Hayes being made up for the "horrific" "surprise" ending of THE HYPNOTIC EYE.  ;D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 05:29:23 AM »

TOD:

Lots of stuff to choose from this weekend...

THE KING'S SPEECH
THE WAY BACK
SUNDAY IN NEW YORK
MARIE: A TRUE STORY
PAT AND MIKE
DESK SET
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
MAD MEN (4)
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (5)
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:05 AM »

Yesterday, I sent off the pdf file for my Carole Lombard play.

Since I used CreateSpace's template, I assume I got all the tech stuff correct.

Fingers crossed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:56 AM »

Tech Correct vibes for DR DRUXY.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 05:51:45 AM »

I am off to work.  Oh well.

Thanks to all for the audition vibes.....I am working on my song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »

Good morning, all! I did sleep late, but I am bathed, dressed and on my first cup of coffee.

Today, I will hopefully finish the Act Three and Appendix edits for EILEEN.

TOD: 
   DVD:  three new Netflix items and a pile of other things
   CD:  First edits of the Herbert music, The Snow Queen (NYSTI production), Guy Haines, Liz Callaway
   VCR: smut
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »

MEdia Check:

iPod:  CARNIVAL from Kritzerland -- very addicting recording -- I've been playing it over and over all week!

Tivo:  a bunch of TCM flicks

DVD:  more FRINGE!

I tried to watch FRINGE for the first time last fall.  While I was intrigued, I was thrown my the thick storyline and decided to put it off until I cought up with the previous two seasons.  I started Season one about a week ago and I am hooked!  How could I have not have been watching this show?  No, it's not on the same level as LOST, and the last two episodes I've viewed have been off a bit compared to the excellant previous ones, but I'm finding that I can't wait to watch additional episodes each night. 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 06:24:21 AM »

In 1996, the New York State Theatre Institute produced "The Snow Queen," a musical by Richard Peaslee, who wrote the score for the Royal Shakespeare Company's MARAT/SADE, and the wonderful Adrian Mitchell, lyricist for the MARAT/SADE. I had loved the MARAT/SADE score so I was happy to be asked to work with Richard.

NYSTI had done the show about 10 years earlier, when it was scored by Bruce Coughlin, and I think Richard was unhappy that I was working on this revised version. Peaslee, Coughlin, and I were credited for the orchestration, although at least  50% of the scoring was mine and the other half was revised by me to work with the 5-piece band. Richard did very little, which was frustrating, and at one point to get him motivated, since Pat Birch had asked him for weeks for a dance arrangement for the Crows' dance and he was unable to provide it, NYSTI brought Dennis Buck up from Manhattan to write an arrangement. This gave Richard a blueprint to work from and he finally produced the dance music that I scored.

I loved working with Pat and the NYSTI folk, but it was not a pleasant experience. When the script was published, I was the only person on the NYSTI production whose name was omitted from the credits. I haven't seen Richard since then, and - while I think his music is wonderful - I really have little to say about him that's kind. Adrian Mitchell, who died recently, was the opposite, a kind and generous man I liked very much.

Still, the music from the show is glorious, and I wish we'd recorded it in Troy in 1996 with the full band, rather than the synthesizers they used in London. There were also song changes made for London, but I'm not sure if the two or three new songs are better than what they replaced.

I just discovered the audiobook made of the London production is available from audible.com as a download, so I bought it yesterday. There's one cast change from the Troy production, but a lot of my NYSTI friends are in it, and it's fun to hear. The story's my favorite Hans Christian Andersen story, and the production was funny, ingenious, and extremely moving. I wept through several rehearsals and performances when Gerda left her granny's rose-covered garden to give up everything to save her friend Kai from the Snow Queen before his heart turns to ice and he loses his soul.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:39:44 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »

I got this email from Rodney Gilfry this morning:

Hi Everyone,

Our daughter Carin did have a car accident on Tuesday, April 5, but, thankfully, she is OK!
Word of her accident has been spreading like wildfire, so I am sending this huge, mass e-mailing to everyone to allay any fears and exaggerations.
On Tuesday night, she was driving her Plymouth Neon in Los Angeles, with bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch in the passenger's seat.
An elderly man driving a Chevrolet Malibu ran a red light and collided with the passenger side at about a 45 degree angle.
Airbags deployed in both cars.  Yes, they were wearing their seat belts. Carin suffered a hairline fracture of the right wrist, a dislocated right shoulder and a bruised right ankle.  Her shoulder popped back in on its own and her wrist is in a cast.  Daniel suffered a fractured cervical vertebrae, and is in a neck brace for a while.  Both were discharged from the hospital within 24 hours.  The car appears to be totaled. The man driving the other car did not appear to be injured.

So, we are grateful it was not more serious!  It could have been so much worse!
Thank you for your prayers and worries and warm thoughts

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »

DR Jane not sure if you will see this, but the emails i got were from your tochigans yahoo account.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 07:06:45 AM »

DR Jane, just reading your story about the freezer pack. OMG, I would have been livid. I hope you said something to them!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »

In 1996, the New York State Theatre Institute produced "The Snow Queen," a musical by Richard Peaslee, who wrote the score for the Royal Shakespeare Company's MARAT/SADE, and the wonderful Adrian Mitchell, lyricist for the MARAT/SADE. I had loved the MARAT/SADE score so I was happy to be asked to work with Richard.

NYSTI had done the show about 10 years earlier, when it was scored by Bruce Coughlin, and I think Richard was unhappy that I was working on this revised version. Peaslee, Coughlin, and I were credited for the orchestration, although at least  50% of the scoring was mine and the other half was revised by me to work with the 5-piece band. Richard did very little, which was frustrating, and at one point to get him motivated, since Pat Birch had asked him for weeks for a dance arrangement for the Crows' dance and he was unable to provide it, NYSTI brought Dennis Buck up from Manhattan to write an arrangement. This gave Richard a blueprint to work from and he finally produced the dance music that I scored.

I loved working with Pat and the NYSTI folk, but it was not a pleasant experience. When the script was published, I was the only person on the NYSTI production whose name was omitted from the credits. I haven't seen Richard since then, and - while I think his music is wonderful - I really have little to say about him that's kind. Adrian Mitchell, who died recently, was the opposite, a kind and generous man I liked very much.

Still, the music from the show is glorious, and I wish we'd recorded it in Troy in 1996 with the full band, rather than the synthesizers they used in London. There were also song changes made for London, but I'm not sure if the two or three new songs are better than what they replaced.

I just discovered the audiobook made of the London production is available from audible.com as a download, so I bought it yesterday. There's one cast change from the Troy production, but a lot of my NYSTI friends are in it, and it's fun to hear. The story's my favorite Hans Christian Andersen story, and the production was funny, ingenious, and extremely moving. I wept through several rehearsals and performances when Gerda left her granny's rose-covered garden to give up everything to save her friend Kai from the Snow Queen before his heart turns to ice and he loses his soul.
I think I reviewed that show in the olden days. I remember Peaslee also did a "Pied Piper" for them. Or at least I think he wrote that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »

DR Elmore. Wow, glad your friend's daughter is okay. That is scary.

John G.

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »

Sausage-smelling vibes to all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:45 AM »

DR Vixmom, I know what you mean about gaining weight without realizing it. I need to start exercising a lot more. Thank goodness it looks like i will be able to start biking again next week.

John G.

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »

Good news about the horrible accident, Elmore.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 07:11:12 AM »

TOD:

DVD -- The Town, The Pirates of Penzance

CD -- The musicals of 1959, probably "The Nervous Set" and "Take Me Along."

― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »

It is morning, and she is, how you say, pretty.
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »

Tech Correct vibes for DR DRUXY.

I just got word that the pdf was okay, so now I've ordered a final proof copy.  I should have it in about 10 days.

This is the front/back cover:

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 07:44:26 AM »

I think I reviewed that show in the olden days. I remember Peaslee also did a "Pied Piper" for them. Or at least I think he wrote that.

His biography lists no "Pied Piper," but it does list a "Children's Crusade."

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:51 AM »

DR Jose wrote:
And if you happen to get The Cooking Channel and watch next week's US premiere of "Eat St.", you might notice a familiar looking Filipino in one of the segments.

The first episode started here on the Food Network yesterday. It's replaying on Saturday. I will record it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

Allo, toujours, allo!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »

I'm glad Mr. Gilfy's daughter and passenger are not seriously injured.

I have to say, though, that it makes me smile that he identified her passenger as "bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch", but did not modify the driver of the other car as "...an elderly tone-deaf gentleman..."  or perhaps "...an elderly gentleman high tenor..."

I know, I know: "Sit down, Ron! Sit down, Ron!  For God's sake, Ron, sit down!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:15:18 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: ENTREPOT!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I COVER THE WATERFRONT

John G.

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »

His biography lists no "Pied Piper," but it does list a "Children's Crusade."
It might also have been the "Lion, Witch and Wardrobe" they did. They always tried to do a big children's show each year, often written for the theater. My brain's not working this morning completely.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

For those who watch Food Network, "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is featuring a San Antonio restaurant in its Monday show. It's a Neopolitan pizzeria called Dough with a pork lovers' pizza that's going to be featured. Doug Horn (get the name? Dough?) and his wife, Lori, are really nice and I feel happy for them that they're getting some national exposure .

They make a beet and bacon salad and a perfectly light panna cotta that could curl your toes.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »

"The Smell of Sausages is Driving Me CRAZY" is the title of my new book on getting back into the dating pool.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »

"The Smell of Sausages is Driving Me CRAZY" is the title of my new book on getting back into the dating pool.

Hmmm all kinds of entendre there!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up