Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER  (Read 15219 times)

Laura

Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »

And men with wandering hands.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

That post was supposed to follow Cillaliz's post on the previous page.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2011, 08:37:01 PM »

Watching one of my favorites (and one of Elmore's least): The Pirates of Penzance. What fun, although I doubt England was ever this sunny on Feb. 29, regardless of the year.

It's one of my least favorite G&S operas, but a great parody of Verdi opera, especially IL TROVATORE. I don't know what version you're watching, so I have no idea whereof you speak.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »

Here's an interesting article from today's New York Times by their film critic, Manohla Dargis, about the current state of movie-going:

Out There in the Dark, All Alone
I enjoyed that. For all the movies I watch on DVD, such as the one I'm watching now, I find there is nothing to compare with the interaction that happens in a theater. I only get to the theater maybe five or six times a year now, but I treasure those visits, even when the movie is not what I expected.

I liked it too. And it basically explains why I stopped buying DVDs. I still like going to a movie theatre and watching a movie on the big screen. And if I don't happen to catch a movie while it's in the theatres, well... Another "must-see" will come along soon enough. -And I don't have as many DVDs sitting in their cases unwatched for weeks, months, years at a time.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

Every time I think about The Friends of the Library I hear "He gave River City the library building, but he left all the books to her" go through my head

He gave River City the liberry building!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »

I thought you were talking about the first time I met DR MBarnum.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

Well, the 5 and a half - or was it six and a half? - hour long MILDRED PIERCE just ended and it's truly amazing. If she isn't one of literature's stupidest characters, I don't know who is! I loved every minute of it, but her co-dependent relationship with her daughter Veda can be a trial: Mildred gets a kick out pf suffering over Veda and Veda gets a kick out of putting her mother down. Unlike the Joan Crawford version, in this one, Veda gets the last turn of the screw and it's a goodie! Those DRs waiting for the DVD are in for a treat.
Can't wait to see it. Veda may get the last word in this one, but I loved seeing Ann Blyth get hers in the Joan Crawford version.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »

I thought you were talking about the first time I met DR MBarnum.

;D

writes the one with the Russian hands and Roman fingers!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

Well, the 5 and a half - or was it six and a half? - hour long MILDRED PIERCE just ended and it's truly amazing. If she isn't one of literature's stupidest characters, I don't know who is! I loved every minute of it, but her co-dependent relationship with her daughter Veda can be a trial: Mildred gets a kick out pf suffering over Veda and Veda gets a kick out of putting her mother down. Unlike the Joan Crawford version, in this one, Veda gets the last turn of the screw and it's a goodie! Those DRs waiting for the DVD are in for a treat.
Can't wait to see it. Veda may get the last word in this one, but I loved seeing Ann Blyth get hers in the Joan Crawford version.

There's nothing as good in this version as the scene between Crawford and Blyth on the stairs with the check. And I missed Eve Arden. Of course, that film bears as much resemblance to the novel as I do to Brad Pitt, so this one has its compensations.

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »

Every time I think about The Friends of the Library I hear "He gave River City the library building, but he left all the books to her" go through my head

He gave River City the liberry building!

Yes, that's right...the voice in my head doesn't say it that way, lol

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »

I am watching a 1948 Bollywood film about a God who is on earth as a man and whose wife has been abducted by a demon. Now a human monkey is trying to rescue the woman while having his tail set of fire and burning down an entire island kingdom.

A talking bear, a talking vulture, a flesh eating demoness, and a one eyed creature all make appearences in between multiple songs and some dances.

Oh, and some of the guys are rather attractive and bare chested.

Hmmm... That sounds like the bar on the Lower East Side I was at last weekend.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

And Ann Blyth gets life for killing Monty, who stays alive and well in the novel. Guy Pierce is a very photogenic Monty. I really liked Brian O'Byrne as Mildred's husband Bert.

It's amazing in this series how many times Mildred sees Veda behaving badly - one character even tells Mildred to forget her because she's a total snake - and keeps coming back for more crap from her!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »

One Grecian Urn.

John G.

« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »

There's nothing as good in this version as the scene between Crawford and Blyth on the stairs with the check. And I missed Eve Arden. Of course, that film bears as much resemblance to the novel as I do to Brad Pitt, so this one has its compensations.
There is no one like Eve Arden. A friend of mine who had never heard of her (!?) just loved her independent nature in that movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #224 on: April 10, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »

Me too...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »

Hi. 

I miss my life.   I want it back.

I was sooooooooooooo much happier alone.   

Waiting for the boy to be here is for the birds, I want my life back.

Soon.  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

bk, sorry to be so far behind in the posts and all, but I never got Audry Rose.    ?

Sam

« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »

I feel so much better just having put that down in words.  Thanks. ;D

I truly forgot how many games there are to play, I was married for so long, I truly forgot and found myself constantly saying "I don't know what that means".   

I think I'm now in a mess.

:-[

Sam

« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »

Be back tomorrow after work, and every day from now on, I miss my life.  ;D

Sam

« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »

Boy do I have a lot to catch up on. :-[

Night and mega vibes to everyone. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »

Sam, we'll send out Audrey tomorrow - not sure what the prob has been.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »

I feel so much better just having put that down in words.  Thanks. ;D

I truly forgot how many games there are to play, I was married for so long, I truly forgot and found myself constantly saying "I don't know what that means".  

I think I'm now in a mess.

:-[

The trick always is to see it coming, learn, and do what you need to do.  While that is sometimes easier said than done, in the end you must do what you need to - it's all about what's truly important, and if games have suddenly entered the equation, they are never worth playing.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »

And now, it's time to shower and head to rehearsal.  Today will be a full run-through and possible a cue-to-cue after that.  It's going to be a long one.  After rehearsal, I'm going to my sister's to help her move her refrigerator.  We have to move her old one from her kitchen into the garage, and then she's getting a new one, but not today.  Well, I don't actually know if she's already gotten it and we have to move both, but I'll find out.  And after that, I'm off to my friend's house to feed her cats.

Have a good day, all!

My sister's boyfriend and I got my sister's old refrigerator into her garage.  And it turns out that her new fridge was already installed by the delivery people, so that's all done. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »

Tonight's rehearsal went quite well.  I just need a vest to go with my trapper outfit, and I'm all done...costume-wise.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Last night I went to a wine and cheese reception and had neither, but did have a nice chat with the president of AAUW Ohio:

and you looked lovely!

and quite svelte!

Ditto and ditto!! ;D

George

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »

But there were about FIVE guys there planning on being Mayor Shinn.....not counting who may show up tomorrow night....so we shall see.

I love the show so much, I wouldn't mind playing another part (fewer lines to learn).

But as I said to my friend Jim (another Shinn candidate) as the terrible readings and bad singing droned on:  "Do we really want to spend six weeks backstage with these people?"

I really enjoy being in Cannibal!, but I have to admit that I've never been in a show with SO many people who can't sing!  The leading actress also can't count to save her life...they've had to add a couple of other people to sing with her on her solo!  And a couple of the miners mangle the melody on one of their songs.  There's a lot of energy, but not many accurate pitches. :-X

George

« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »

I loved THE CRADLE WILL ROCK! I found the whole inquisition against the Federal Theatre and Hallie Flanagan rather similar to the inquisition against the New York State Theatre Institute: all the time in the world given for those with evidence supporting its closure and as little time as possible for its defenders. It was great to see my beloved Barney Hughes, and I thought the rest of the enormous cast was quite wonderful.

Now I want to watch Les enfants du paradis again, but I can't see it tonight: MILDRED PIERCE is on.

I will say that listening to the soundtrack of "The Cradle Will Rock" is not as pleasant as watching it incorporated into the movie. -At least for me. Some of the treatments of the songs just don't sit right on my ears. Or something like that.
I agree with you. But the Patti LuPone recording with the Acting Company is wonderful.

I agree...and I love the PBS showing of that production with John Houseman introducing the show with the story of opening night.

George

« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up