Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE INEXORABLE NOTES  (Read 34816 times)

Laura

Re: THE INEXORABLE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »

Today I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Mating pipevine swallowtails

Broadbilled hummingbird

A lucky ornate tree lizard

Lowland leopard frog

Greater earless lizard

Side-blotched lizard

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO DR EDISAURUS AND HER EVER LOVIN' GREG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

Great pictures, Laura!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

And...

Now I need to get ready to head back to Carnegie Hall for tonight's concert by the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. It's quite an interesting program - they've interspersed solo piano works by Back between the orchestral selections.

*If you want to listen to it, they will be streaming it live - and in 3D! - HERE

BACK TO BACH

George

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »

Wow! :o Either something blew up very close to my place or I just heard the loudest thunder that I've heard in years!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »

JMK, I have tried to respond to your e-mails and they keep bouncing back, so I'm at a loss...

I emailed you--they're not actually bouncing.  AOL and MSN like to make you *think* your emails aren't getting through.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

Just had 24 hours of frustration with Amazon, an unusual event.  I attempted to use two $25 giftcards to get the new Citizen Kane BD set free.  The first gift card worked fine, the second gave me a string of different error codes culminating in one saying it had already been redeemed.  I knew this wasn't the case and got a totally brain dead CS person who didn't even know about the Amazon Rewards Visa and the gift certificates they send.  So after 24 hours and several phone calls/emails, I get this perfunctory answer saying it had already been redeemed, and they gave me the email address that had redeemed it.  Not my email address.  Just called and raised holy hell with them and they credited the order $25.  I am now researching the "phantom" email address.  It is an interesting email address--it is the plural surname of a famous mystery writer with the AOL domain. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:11:38 PM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

Everything ok, George?

JMK

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »

I believe I rhymed "clearer" with "mirror" in "Judy's Solution" from "Starcrossed."  It bothered me not one whit.  :)

George

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »

Everything ok, George?

There hasn't been any other noise since that first big bang.  I haven't seen anything, so I don't think that it was an explosion...but boy, was it loud!

George

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »

It's raining now, but not a lot.

FJL

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

I believe I rhymed "clearer" with "mirror" in "Judy's Solution" from "Starcrossed."  It bothered me not one whit.  :)

And Michael Jackson rhymed it in The Man in the Mirror. Just surprised that it was a close enough rhyme for cole Porter

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »

"Love With All the Trimmings" from ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

Thanks, George

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »

Happy anniversary to DR Edi and Greg.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »

No COPS tonight.....Major League Baseball instead.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DR MBARNUM is in OZ today, I think.

The prison?
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Cough-cough-wheeze-cough-cough  :P

I've spent most of the evening cleaning off my bookshelves and trying to straighten and rearrange and I've kicked up a lot of dust.  I am trying to cull some books, but they sure are hard to part with.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »

We just had a loud crash of thunder, George - only three hours later!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »

I'm on a LOVE FOR LYDIA break. These last two episodes are heartbreaking. There's a secondary character, Bert aka Blackie, whose loyalty and inability to express himself are pathetic, and the actor is so wonderful in his shyness. These episodes are interesting in the development of the leading lady from a selfish self-indulgent flapper to a sadder-but-wiser woman. I think I will read the novel soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:57:21 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

DE elmore, do you recommend it?

What? LOVE FOR LYDIA or GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT?

Yes to both! LOVE FOR LYDIA is a wonderful adaptation of a biographical novel. It's long, but the payoff so far is amazing.

lydia.  i'll put it on our netflix queue so please let me know if you change your opinion.

George

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

That's weird.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »

Jane

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »

interesting. :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »

Good evening!!  Enjoying my last night here.  It's kind of crazy around the hotel.  Obama will be staying here so the security has already started being beefed up. one of the staff members told me about it, quite interesting.  I am concerned about the airport tomorrow.  They started tightening security today and I heard that it's taking a couple hours to get in and through security.  Tomorrow all the bbq people will be leaving and I imagine it will be worse.  Oh great

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »

When I came in my room tonight everything had been straightened and moved around.  It's a little unnerving since it hasn't really happened the last two nights

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »

I went to the hospitality room tonight and heard stories about people out drinking until 3:30 in the morning.   I was very glad I wasn't with them last night.  I went to the restaurant in the hotel, got a nice steak and came up to the room.  I am most content to just relax

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »

I went to almost all the classes today.  I have really learned a lot from this conference.  When I come back next year, I'll do more sight seeing

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

DR Cillaliz - when I was a very young librarian, my boss Mrs. Brown and I both went to San Francisco for ALA, but not together.  I was very diligent about attending sessions and combing the exhibit hall.  Mrs. Brown and I had lunch together on the second or third day of the conference and she ordered me to take the afternoon off and enjoy the city!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »

DE elmore, do you recommend it?

What? LOVE FOR LYDIA or GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT?

Yes to both! LOVE FOR LYDIA is a wonderful adaptation of a biographical novel. It's long, but the payoff so far is amazing.

lydia.  i'll put it on our netflix queue so please let me know if you change your opinion.

I just finished watching it, with a FANTASTICKS ending in a snowfall and Lydia sharing her shawl to keep them warm. It's a great 13-part trip, about 12 hours, I'd guess, and the cast is wonderful. The last scene of the spinster aunt is heartbreaking as she comes and goes in dementia, and Mel Martin's young orphan Lydia, who grows up too fast in the jazz age, is wonderful. The leading man is hard to like since he's a fool until he grows up and it's really his story, very British, class-conscious, nostalgic, clearly the work of a writer looking back 30 years to when he was young, callow, and priggish. t's extremely well done. I disliked most of the characters for the first four episodes and then I couldn't stop watching to see what would happen.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:56:07 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up