Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE INEXORABLE NOTES  (Read 34826 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE INEXORABLE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »

Good evening!!  Enjoying my last night here.  It's kind of crazy around the hotel.  Obama will be staying here so the security has already started being beefed up. one of the staff members told me about it, quite interesting.  I am concerned about the airport tomorrow.  They started tightening security today and I heard that it's taking a couple hours to get in and through security.  Tomorrow all the bbq people will be leaving and I imagine it will be worse.  Oh great

When do you fly out tomorrow? I hope it's a safe and easy trip.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

Cranberries!
!!!!! Page 5 Dance !!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »

I went to the hospitality room tonight and heard stories about people out drinking until 3:30 in the morning.   I was very glad I wasn't with them last night.  I went to the restaurant in the hotel, got a nice steak and came up to the room.  I am most content to just relax

I had meant to ask, who's watching the cats?

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »

Wish I could stay home tomorrow and continue my clean-up of the Mom Cave, but I have to go to Lima with Fr. Richard.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »

DR Cillaliz - when I was a very young librarian, my boss Mrs. Brown and I both went to San Francisco for ALA, but not together.  I was very diligent about attending sessions and combing the exhibit hall.  Mrs. Brown and I had lunch together on the second or third day of the conference and she ordered me to take the afternoon off and enjoy the city!

LOL Ginny.  Since I'm still learning immigration law and had some specific questions about current cases, I really wanted to attend all the classes and since I got the answers I was looking for, I'm glad I did.  when I go to the criminal defense meetings I take more time off to tour because I know the law much better.   I'm sure I'll do that at these meetings in the future, but for now, I want to keep learning.

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »

Good evening!!  Enjoying my last night here.  It's kind of crazy around the hotel.  Obama will be staying here so the security has already started being beefed up. one of the staff members told me about it, quite interesting.  I am concerned about the airport tomorrow.  They started tightening security today and I heard that it's taking a couple hours to get in and through security.  Tomorrow all the bbq people will be leaving and I imagine it will be worse.  Oh great

When do you fly out tomorrow? I hope it's a safe and easy trip.

a little before 2:00 pm.  It's just an hour and a half flight.  Thanks for the travel vibes. I'm sure it will be fine.  Then it's another 1 1/2 hour drive and I"ll be home.  I'm ready to go home.  I do have time to have breakfast and take my time to find a cab before heading out. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »

I will say that I have had a ton of fun during this trip.  I didn't do the typical tourist things, but the time at the Barbeque fest last night, the dinner the night before and just spending time with the wonderful people I met at the conference was excatly what I needed right now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »

The cats are being cared for by Sharon, my cat/housesitter.  She's been doing that for me since 2002.  Her business is called Critter Sitters.   The cats know her well and she has no problem giving Callie her meds.  I called her today and other than someone spitting up (Boo, no doubt) all is well.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »

Well after sleeping all the hours I was not at work I seemed to have finally gotten past this rotten cold  - thank goodness!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

Yeah Vixmom!!

vixmom

« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

today the Vixter registered for college - as an incoming Freshman she met with a counselor who informed her that due to her high school average, her SAT scores, and her grades in the 4 college courses she took this year , not only did she not need to take a placement exam but she is being invited to interview for the honors program... not sure when the interview will be yet  - but please keep them vibes a coming!!

Laura

« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

Glad you are feeling better, Vixmom.

vixmom

« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »

Sorry I have been so E & T -  I kept signing on  but dozing off as I tried to catch up

vixmom

« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »

Also tonight the Vixter , a friend of hers and I went to see a local production of "Little Shop of Horrors"  - it was quite good and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely!

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »

HealingVibes for Jane

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

Travel Vibes for Cilla

vixmom

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »

HUGS for Elmore

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »

HUGS for TCB

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »

I have to be at church extra early tomorrow to set up for the Ministry Fair - so laters!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »

today the Vixter registered for college - as an incoming Freshman she met with a counselor who informed her that due to her high school average, her SAT scores, and her grades in the 4 college courses she took this year , not only did she not need to take a placement exam but she is being invited to interview for the honors program... not sure when the interview will be yet  - but please keep them vibes a coming!!

Congrats to The Vixter!!

and

~~~Vibes for a Very Successful Interview!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »

Glad you are feeling better, Vixmom.

Ditto!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »

Congrats to The Vixter!!

and

~~~Vibes for a Very Successful Interview!!~~~

Likewise.  Hooray for the Vixter and vibes as needed.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »

Hooray for the Vixter.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »

Good Evening!

Tonight's concert at Carnegie Hall was good, but also quite interesting for a number of reasons. This was the last concert in the "Spring For Music" series. Any orchestra that was interested in being invited to Carnegie Hall for this series was asked to submit a program, and the orchestras were selected based on the programming. The programs over the past two weeks had a theme: dance rhythms, mythology, poetry, etc. Tonight's theme was "symphony" - or at least the evolution of the symphony. However, Maestro Nagano went back to the root of the word symphony, and he presented a program of various ways notes sound - either in unison or in "reaction" to each other. Well...

The first half of the program consisted of orchestral works by Gabrieli, Webern and Stravinsky, interspersed with solo keyboard works of J.S. Bach. The whole "symphony" theme seemed a bit stretched, but the playing of the orchestra was quite good. Alas, the piano soloist's approach to Bach was a bit too improvisatory for my taste. There were places where it almost sounded like she had take all sense of rhythm and beat out of the pieces.

The second half consisted of one work: Beethoven's Symphony No. 5. It's a true chestnut of the repertoire, but the Maestro seemed to be on a mission to un-cliché it. There were some interesting tempo choices, and change of tempo choices. And just when you thought the piece couldn't go any faster in a section, well... A thrilling if somewhat puzzling interpretation.

Thankfully, they ended up playing two encores. The first was Fauré's "Sicilienne" from "Pelleas et Melissande" - which was taken at a nice clip too. The second was a bit of Berlioz, "Le Corsair", and that was truly some of the best playing of the evening. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra made a name for themselves playing Berlioz under their previous Musical Director, Charles Dutoit, and it was nice to hear some of that "old school" sound and mentality to close out the evening.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »

After the concert, we went out for a late dinner with two of the violinists in the orchestra who happened to know my friend, Eric - who was also there tonight - and my friend, Brendan, who was also in attendance and happens to be a violinist... AND happens to be playing Beethoven 5 on a concert tomorrow afternoon. The food was great, the wine flowing and the conversation verged on scandalous at times. In other words, a perfect close to a wonderful evening. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »

DR Cillaliz - It really does sound like you had a wonderful time in Memphis. Next time: Graceland!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2011, 11:59:03 PM »

!!!!!CONGRATS TO DR THE VIXTER ON HER ADVANCED COLLEGE PLACEMENTS!!!!!

-Or something like that. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »

DR vixmom - Where is the vixter going to college?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »

bk - I hope all went well for you and Jason at The Colony earlier tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2011, 12:13:39 AM »

And...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up