Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FOOD FOR THOUGHT  (Read 44874 times)

Cillaliz

Re: FOOD FOR THOUGHT
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »

DR Ginny, these tornadoes are really scary business.  Glad you are safe

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »

The donations started arriving in the mail today.  Just a few so far, but I am really pleased and thankful that people want to help Joe.  I contacted my brother in law who is going to help coordinate on their end to make sure we have good records and have things set up in Joplin for Joe.  It's turning into a real family project and I love that they are a part of it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

I am not going to the Guy Fieri Road Show tonight.   I don't mind watching him on TV from time to time, but I just can't get interested in seeing him live

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »

The donations started arriving in the mail today.  Just a few so far, but I am really pleased and thankful that people want to help Joe.  I contacted my brother in law who is going to help coordinate on their end to make sure we have good records and have things set up in Joplin for Joe.  It's turning into a real family project and I love that they are a part of it.

Cillaliz, I keep forgetting to tell you...I mentioned Joe's situation to a co-worker and she suggested setting up a PayPal account for him so that people can just donate that way.  No checks lost in the mail and all that and Joe and the givers get an instant record of the transactions.  Just a suggestion. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »

Cillaliz, I keep forgetting to tell you...I mentioned Joe's situation to a co-worker and she suggested setting up a PayPal account for him so that people can just donate that way.  No checks lost in the mail and all that and Joe and the givers get an instant record of the transactions.  Just a suggestion. :)

I thought of that even started the process, there are several problems with it not the least of which is that Joe has no internet access. My sister thinks they may have internet restored at their house next week, not sure.

I was going to set a paypal account  up for him, but if it's in my name or I can access the funds, it could be considered income to me for tax purposes and I really don't want to pay tax on money that isn't going to me.  If you use credit cards, they also charge fees, even on the fundraising money. 

I just decided having checks or money orders made out to Joe, so I can't cash them (then they can't be my income), and having them sent to my office so that no one's home address is floating around on the web was the best way to go.  It may mean there are some people who won't donate, but so be it, I hope they will donate to the Red Cross or some other organization.   I don't think it will stop people who know us.   If you aren't comfortable sending a check, you could always send a gift card.  That wouldn't have any personal information on it. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:16:05 PM by Cillaliz »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

i'm still chilled from our morning walk & sherlock is still wet.  i had to put a plastic poop bag oner my splint to keep it dry, better silly looking then suffering the consequences later.

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

One other thing, this isn't a donation through a qualified charity so it isn't tax deductible as a donation.  I put that in the email I sent out.  So while it's nice to have an instant record of the transactoin, a cancelled check also shows the same thing.   I'm also trying to coordinate with the folks in Joplin to get an acknowledgement or thank you of some sort sent as soon as they can.

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »

But, thanks for the suggestion ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »

i'm still chilled from our morning walk & sherlock is still wet.  i had to put a plastic poop bag oner my splint to keep it dry, better silly looking then suffering the consequences later.

Hmmm have you ever thought about a treadmill?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:17:45 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »

It is cold an wet here today

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »

Yet I still have windows open....I have been trained by the cats. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »

Ok, windows closed..much better

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »

SO, page 4.....Page 4 ?? Where is everyone?

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »

You'd think it's the start of a holiday weekend or something.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »

I'm staying home this weekend.   I will putter around at the office a little, clean the house a little, get together with friends a little and maybe scrub the wall paper off the new den.   It's really wet outside, so my outdoor painting projects are out of the question.  Gee, I may have to mostly relax....imagine that

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »

Back from a jog.  I finally buckled down Winsocki and wrote four pages on the Wechter/Kimmel project.  As it turns out, David hasn't even begun his - I was feeling pressure to get this done because he was really strong about finishing this while he's off work, especially as I've been so busy I haven't had time to do anything.  But that only works one way, I'm afraid, and he had some job offers he had to meet on so our project sat.  That's fine, but then I can't be chastised when my work precludes me from doing stuff, which is sometimes the case.

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

OH!!! I am going to a pot luck tomorrow night.  I'm taking beans.  I usually do baked beans with bacon and brown sugar to doctor them up a bit.   However, there are several vegetarians who will be there and most of the fare has meat of one sort or another in it, so I wanted a vegetarian friendly dish.  Does anyone have a good vegetarian bean recipe that would go well with burgers or brats?

Cillaliz

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »

Beans! Beans! Beans!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »

Thank you all for the vibes and the congrats! DJ and I have been working the computers all afternoon, sending thank you notes and "are you interested in working on this with us?" notes to people who came today. I've also found a gorgeous Scottish folksong, "Will Ye No Come Back Again?," that I think might be good for the mother to sing about the son who's left home. I think the women need a parallel scene to the one with the men, which is broad and comic, that explains a bit about their characters.

Tomorrow, I've got laundry in the morning and I've got to tidy this dump and vacuum. DR cillaliz, I've made out a check, but I cannot send it for another week until my May 31 invoice is paid.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »

I have no idea why I said I'd take beans....I never take beans to a pot luck. I think I was hungry for baked beans at the time

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »

OH!!! I am going to a pot luck tomorrow night.  I'm taking beans.  I usually do baked beans with bacon and brown sugar to doctor them up a bit.   However, there are several vegetarians who will be there and most of the fare has meat of one sort or another in it, so I wanted a vegetarian friendly dish.  Does anyone have a good vegetarian bean recipe that would go well with burgers or brats?

Greenbean casserole, with mushroom soup. I love it.  I have to say, though, baked beans can be good without ham or bacon, I would prefer them with the meat, but there must be enough spices to perk them up!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »

Thank you all for the vibes and the congrats! DJ and I have been working the computers all afternoon, sending thank you notes and "are you interested in working on this with us?" notes to people who came today. I've also found a gorgeous Scottish folksong, "Will Ye No Come Back Again?," that I think might be good for the mother to sing about the son who's left home. I think the women need a parallel scene to the one with the men, which is broad and comic, that explains a bit about their characters.

Tomorrow, I've got laundry in the morning and I've got to tidy this dump and vacuum. DR cillaliz, I've made out a check, but I cannot send it for another week until my May 31 invoice is paid.

Thanks!  . 

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »

OH!!! I am going to a pot luck tomorrow night.  I'm taking beans.  I usually do baked beans with bacon and brown sugar to doctor them up a bit.   However, there are several vegetarians who will be there and most of the fare has meat of one sort or another in it, so I wanted a vegetarian friendly dish.  Does anyone have a good vegetarian bean recipe that would go well with burgers or brats?

Greenbean casserole, with mushroom soup. I love it.  I have to say, though, baked beans can be good without ham or bacon, I would prefer them with the meat, but there must be enough spices to perk them up!

It's more of a cookout, so I'm thinking baked beans.    Oh! I have a new cookbook from the barbeque team I was with in Memphis.  I bet they have a recipe that may work

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »

Boo is crying....I must make food...I have been trained by cats, lol

George

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

I thought of that even started the process, there are several problems with it not the least of which is that Joe has no internet access. My sister thinks they may have internet restored at their house next week, not sure.

I was going to set a paypal account  up for him, but if it's in my name or I can access the funds, it could be considered income to me for tax purposes and I really don't want to pay tax on money that isn't going to me.  If you use credit cards, they also charge fees, even on the fundraising money. 

I just decided having checks or money orders made out to Joe, so I can't cash them (then they can't be my income), and having them sent to my office so that no one's home address is floating around on the web was the best way to go.  It may mean there are some people who won't donate, but so be it, I hope they will donate to the Red Cross or some other organization.   I don't think it will stop people who know us.   If you aren't comfortable sending a check, you could always send a gift card.  That wouldn't have any personal information on it. 

Ahh..you have thought this out very thoroughly. 

I get paid Tuesday, so I'll be able to send a check then. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

Hmmm have you ever thought about a treadmill?  ;D

lol-what i did on wednesday only poor sherlock didn't get out.  i have clothes that will keep me dry except the hurt my wrist to wear them over the splint.

Ben

« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2011, 05:07:53 PM »

No Doc Martin tonight. I didn't check the schedule. Channel 50 is fundraising for the next two weeks.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »

Ahh..you have thought this out very thoroughly. 

I get paid Tuesday, so I'll be able to send a check then. :D

Well, we want to do it right.  Thanks, George

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »

How very sad to read that my favorite of all times aunt, Huguette Clark, passed away.  I wonder if I will be remembered?   ;)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up