Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRID SANDWICH  (Read 23856 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HORRID SANDWICH
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2004, 05:23:59 PM »

I do sell things on eBay from time to time, and I do purchase from time to time.  But not like in the old days back in 1997, when I discovered it.  I was so hooked back then that I would buy ANYTHING.  I bought a Tiffany teapot for reasons which I can't fathom, but which I still have.  In those days you could really get some bargains.  There was a two year period where there were no bargains to be had, especially art-wise and book-wise, because the dealers took over the room.  Horrible.  Dealers are still there in droves preventing things from going too low.  I really despise them, actually, and have written more than a few of them to let them know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2004, 05:28:34 PM »

Whoa, I say whoa, I say whoa - what just happened to everybody?  Everyone disappeared at once whilst I was posting.  How unseemly.  Did everyone take a bathroom break at exactly the same time?

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, I had a rather strange reaction to the death of Kennedy.  And, if you have the book, just look and you'll find the day that it happened.

As to Kennedy, Jr. I had no idea who he even was, other than the President's son.  I don't really see why his death is any sadder than anyone else who died at a similar age.  Just because he had celebrity?  I never really understand this sort of thing.  

Jed

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »

Jed, but I didn't even find JFK,Jr.'s death that momentus that it would even stick in my head.  It's what I hate about 24 hour news stations.  Now to pad out the time when there just isn't anything earth-shattering, they blow up small events into big news.

I remember a few years back some golfer died in a plane crash or something and they covered his funeral and everything...you would have thought JFK had been shot all over again.  Same with that race car driver's death.  Suddenly all things have the same weight because the news channels have time to fill.  And lightweight, small stories are sensationalized long past their legitimate newsworthiness.

Walter Cronkite used to be able to give me all the important news in a half hour.  I liked it that way.  I could fill in any details with a newspaper.

Well said, CP, and I agree.  I was simply saying that I truly don't believe anybody around here is really saying that Jr.'s death was as big an event as Sr.'s, it's just that (mostly due to the excessive media coverage) many of us do happen to recall hearing about it.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

Have I mentioned that the new Juliana Journal entry is up?  Check eet out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2004, 06:01:19 PM »

Five dear readers just sitting there like so much fish for fifteen minutes.  How unseemly.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2004, 06:08:07 PM »

Five dear readers just sitting there like so much fish for fifteen minutes.  How unseemly.

Ya want fish?  How's this for fish:

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2004, 06:12:12 PM »

I was in junior high, Louis Pasteur, ninth grade pin and camera day.

Palms Jr. High and Louis Pasteur apparently had the same Camera Day on the same date.  I was in the gym class office talking to my favorite teacher, Ms Gardner, when a student returned from a dentist appointment with the news Kennedy and been shot.  The teacher & I laughed saying she must be mistaken, at which point the principle came on the loud speaker.  At the time I wished the school had cancelled our 9th grade camera day.  In retrospect I realize it gave us the opportunity to be in shock as a group.

I went to a friend’s house to watch the funeral.  When I arrived she noted I was dressed all in black.  Up until that moment I had not realized what I had put on that day.

Penny & Keith were at Louis Pasteur together so I just asked Keith where he was that day.  He said he was walking down the stairwell, in 10th grade, no it must have at Pasteur-he is still thinking about it.  Now he is doing the math to figure it out.  He says it must have been at Pasteur walking down the stairway.  I am finding his lack of memory very funny.  :D I guess he was late to camera day.

Me do anything wrong?  Gosh never.  I was a perfect angel. ;)  Of course Keith isn’t here to correct that statement and make fun of me, just as I did to him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2004, 06:15:25 PM »

My question for the day:  Do you keep reading literature in your bathroom? Some titles, please...
Nada.  None.  Big zero.  Zilch.  But that's more because we don't have a storage space for reading material in our bathroom.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2004, 06:17:06 PM »

I've been through the crime victim bit here on the board before.  Do a search.

And I'm not the type to try being a criminal.  Other than the sort that some ignorant pols want me listed as being.  Their loss.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2004, 06:18:40 PM »

I'm not sure who it was that ever came up with the bright idea of dinner theatre, but I don't think they liked actors.  I mean, they're asking people who's average age is death, to come, sit down, eat a big, warm meal and then sit in the same seat and watch a show in the dark for two hours, which means they're bound to nod off.  Then at the end of show, just when you think you've gotten a standing o, you realize they're just getting up to put their coats on because they're afraid the bus is going to leave without them.

Now I know why the seats at our cabaret theater are so uncomfortable.  No one could fall asleep in these things.  Of course they are one of the reasons I go to a restaurant before the show instead of eating there.  They do have a special ice cream dessert we enjoy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2004, 06:19:15 PM »

Tiring day at work, but satisfying.  We had a big delivery of stuff arrive, and spent the whole day unloading/inventorying/price-tagging/shelving.  So exciting.  But at the same time good to get under the belt, this first time.

The big weekend is coming fast.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »

The tragedy in the space program for me was when the three Apollo 1 astronauts died in their space capsule during a practice launch.  That was worse to me because, first of all it was the first-time we had actually lost a crew, and secondly because two of the astronauts were already well-known to all of us: Gus Grissom, the second American in space; and Ed White, the first American to walk in space.  Of course, I may have been more familiar with the space program than most kids, because my Mom made sure that I got up and watched the launch of each and every mission starting with Alan Shepard until sometime during the Apollo program when I was in high school.
By the time of Apollo I, I was already well familiar with not just the astronauts, but the test pilots who had preceeded them (and flew concurrantly).  My father worked with the test pilots, knew them quite well.  Several of them were invited to our home for dinner.

My father tried to harden himself, to not be emotional when one of his friends died.  He never was successful at this task.  It took him a long time before he could turn to the rest of the family, at those times when he needed us.  The rest is too private.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2004, 06:43:40 PM »

Hey, I was a Republican.  I didn't think I liked Kennedy.  But... this had never happened.  This was... See, that's what it was, an ellipsis.  Something just... broke.  And I can't think of a better way to express the feeling.
I still am a Republican.  Worst day of my life was August 17th, 1990, my birthday as it happens.  Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson decided to hijack the party that night at the Republican Convention, declaring a "culture war."  

I have no intention of switching over and becoming a Democrat.  I still seriously believe and hope that my party can turn away from the bigoted extremism that has dogged it these last decades, so don't expect me to blandly accept demands that I become a leftist.  But I also know what it means to be betrayed.

Let's leave it at that, for now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2004, 06:46:45 PM »

Masada, the reading of which I attended, has cancelled its Chicago tryout....
Geez, I read that first world and thought you were going to tell us of memories of the original... :o

Kerry

« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2004, 06:51:42 PM »

Hi Boys and Girls!  

It's nice to see you all again.  I've been mighty busy, and I'll get busier.  I start a new job tomorrow and am quite anxious.  The money is much better, but I'll be back in an office.  OY!   I will be working again with a close friend, so that part will be good.  And I know one of the secretaries there, so it will nice to see her again.  But this is stuff I haven't done in 10 years, and I'm hoping it will all come back to me (like the provebial riding of a bicycle-- which DOES indeed come back to you.)

Wish me luck.

I'll keep you posted.
I like boat races.

Robin

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »

I still am a Republican.  Worst day of my life was August 17th, 1990, my birthday as it happens.

Does this mean you're only thirteen?  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »

Does this mean you're only thirteen?  
That would make der Brucer twenty-eight...and we know what HIS crime would be if that were the case!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:35 PM »

BK ---
The reason I asked the Dear Readers about the Kennedy assassination and not you was that I already knew Benjamin's experience and I figured yours was pretty much the same.  I was touched at all the replies.  Maybe there is a book in there someplace.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:37 PM »

Time to go make cookies.  Our house is cookieless.   :-\

Jane

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2004, 06:59:40 PM »

Jed, but I didn't even find JFK,Jr.'s death that momentus that it would even stick in my head.  It's what I hate about 24 hour news stations.  Now to pad out the time when there just isn't anything earth-shattering, they blow up small events into big news.

I remember a few years back some golfer died in a plane crash or something and they covered his funeral and everything...you would have thought JFK had been shot all over again.  Same with that race car driver's death.  Suddenly all things have the same weight because the news channels have time to fill.  And lightweight, small stories are sensationalized long past their legitimate newsworthiness.

Walter Cronkite used to be able to give me all the important news in a half hour.  I liked it that way.  I could fill in any details with a newspaper.

Very true, yet having watched Jr. grow up, it was very sad.  I can’t tell you what I was doing when I heard the news.  I do recall watching when his uncle was shot.  Keith had just dropped my off at my apartment, only minutes from his house.  By the time he walked in the phone was ringing & I was giving him the sad news.

Jane

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2004, 07:09:19 PM »

LOL, I do not keep reading literature in my bathroom.

I was home watching both space shuttles on T.V.  The first one we lived in Pennsylvania and I recall calling Keith at work to tell him what happened.  I also recall hoping the children weren’t watching it at school, and they weren’t.  Having recently been present at a discussion by an astronaut which included a slide show, both boys had decided to become astronauts.  Our younger son immediately said “no way”.

911:  I was busy getting ready for my book discussion at my house so did not even have the radio on. Our younger son was taking a friend to the San Francisco airport that morning so he was up early and called us.  He reassured me my niece was okay.  Later I had to call him to say her roommate, whom he knew, was missing.  Finally my niece thought to call her friend’s mother & found she was okay but having trouble getting home.  My older son was just about to move from here to Portland.  Most of his friends had moved to NY and he spent most of the day trying to reach him.  He did find out his best friend of fine, once again thanks to a call the mother in Michigan.  It’s nice to know the first thing these kids did was to call home.  

Kerry, GOOD VIBES at your new job!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2004, 07:25:29 PM »

Oh, what a lovely partay is shaping up for next Tuesday! early evening drinks and banter among sundried Hainsies! Jane, get on a plane! BK, we will roast you in absentia. You can bet each of us will scribble, scribble, scribble our delight for the HHW denizens before nodding off to sleep. Oh, what fun this will be! Thanks, DRElmore for suggesting a get-together. Can't wait!

Now, to dye the white roots...
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2004, 07:31:22 PM »

Penny, I am tempted but busy getting ready to see my boys next month.  Maybe you can return in October. :)

Goodnight all.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2004, 07:39:13 PM »

I, too, read in the bathroom, sometimes while luxuriating in extremely hot baths.  I'd tell you the reading material in there now but it might offend the author.

The deli on 72nd Street is Fine & Shapiro's.  Venerable.

Tuesday night, we're having an early dinner with the fellow I think is about to win the Tony for best score.

And, it's all Godspell all the time from here on in for me.  Performances are Sunday at 8, Monday at 2 & 8.  No tickets, free, you just walk in to The Circle in the Square (where Frozen usually plays) and enjoy.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2004, 08:17:01 PM »

Back from a yummilicious dinner.  Caesar salad and garlic chicken pasta in cream sauce.  Now I must vomit.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »

Since Noel Coward talks about his role in PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES in his diaries, I pulled that off the shelf and watched it again today. Such a shame that a potentially witty and intriguing idea was squandered in a fairly limp way. There were bits of fun and romance, but I can certainly see why the film was a disaster at the box-office. GAMBIT was ever so much cleverer (with plots circling back on themselves), and TWO FOR THE ROAD a genuine masterpiece in non-linear storytelling.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2004, 08:27:23 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL:

eh......... :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 08:28:16 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2004, 08:30:05 PM »

Before I started watching network TV tonight, I stuck in another of the Marilyn Monroe supporting role films: WE'RE NOT MARRIED. I remember her segment well, but I couldn't for the life of me remember how the Louis Calhern/Zsa Zsa Gabor story ended.

The mastering job on that film was very sharp.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2004, 08:42:49 PM »

Good Evening!

Good show tonight.  And the A/C in the theatre is finally working at it's full potential, so to speak.  I can start bringing a sweater again like I used to!

As for reading in the bathroom... I'm not one for baths... never really have been... and when I have taken a bath, reading is usually the last thing on my mind. ;-)

As for reading "while sitting down"... Well, one of my uncles is a gastroenterologist, and he - as well as other medical experts - advise against reading in the bathroom.  For some people, spending that much time in the bathroom can cause problems.  -I'll leave it at that.

OK - I need some ice cream... back in a bit..
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2004, 08:49:19 PM »

Jennifer - Reading in the bathroom is not just a guy thing. I love to read in the bathroom. I also love to luxuriate in the tub. Alas, I do not at the moment have a tub. When I did, I used to turn off the lights, put on music, light candles, soak and think.  Ahhhhhhh....So relaxing....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up