Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOLD OF GOLDSMITH  (Read 33199 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE GOLD OF GOLDSMITH
« Reply #630 on: June 12, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »

And finally, there is a GREAT disparity between the cheering, wooing applause and ovations we're HEARING and between the mild applause that we're SEEING at the same time - which means the reaction is not only enhanced, it's positively canned - I don't remember exactly when they began the practice of adding shouting, applause, and laughs from the can, but it's very prevalent this evening.

From what I understand - and I alluded to this earlier - some of the numbers were pre-taped at the rehearsals earlier. The reason: lack of camera room in The Beacon once the audience was seated. They would have had to lose a lot more - and it was already tight(!) after the "downgrade" from RCMH. -And they've been keeping an emergency back-up tape of the numbers for a while just in case something happens during the transmission.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #631 on: June 12, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

LOL! One of my favorite lines.

I just got an email from Simon Jones telling me that if Roundabout papers DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY again, he'll let me know.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #632 on: June 12, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »

That may not be "right", but having been at The Beacon while they taped a show, I can tell you I would have been mighty pissed to have a camera man's ass in front of my face... -Which is what happens at The Met now during their HD Broadcasts.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #633 on: June 12, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

I think I must have gained like 10 lbs while I was sick. I was afraid to weigh myself to check. But with no exercise for like a month. ANd having 3 chocolates and 3-4 candies a day for my throat. Well I knew that could not be good.

So tomorrow I am going to go swimming and start biking every day i can. I was trying not to push myself at all. But i think i need to even if i'm not 100%. And a lot less carbs for me! 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #634 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »

That may not be "right", but having been at The Beacon while they taped a show, I can tell you I would have been mighty pissed to have a camera man's ass in front of my face... -Which is what happens at The Met now during their HD Broadcasts.

It didn't bother me as a viewer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #635 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »

DR Jennifer - Alas, chocolate is not good for your throat. Sadly, it can cause acid reflux.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #636 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »

It didn't bother me as a viewer.

I thought it was well-handled too.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #637 on: June 12, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »

Weird...they just cut the sound from Norbert Leo Butz's performance.  I wonder what he said...or if it was a mistake.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #638 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »

I thought the show was long, but it sure had some great numbers.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #639 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »

That's the second time the sound has cut out.

Michael

« Reply #640 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »

Okay, I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I did not like the opening number - the entire number, including the audience stuff.  Too winky-winky for me and the choreography was Ashford-like - don't know if it's him or not.

Then Ellen Barkin's really annoying and endless preaching - say thank you get the HELL off.

Then Brotherhood of Man, yet more proof that Rob Ashford is as bad as it gets in terms of actually understanding the POINT of a number.  His choreography always reminds me of the 11th grade gym class exercises.  Awful. 

And finally, there is a GREAT disparity between the cheering, wooing applause and ovations we're HEARING and between the mild applause that we're SEEING at the same time - which means the reaction is not only enhanced, it's positively canned - I don't remember exactly when they began the practice of adding shouting, applause, and laughs from the can, but it's very prevalent this evening.

Don't the cheering etc belong to the fans in the balcony? One of the reasons I hate the Tony shows ever since they moved to the Radio City when Rosie O'Donnell took over. I liked it when they were at one of the regular Broadway theaters.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #641 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

Aaaahhhh, the cooler temps and lower humidity are finally here and we've opened the windows!  It won't last forever, I know, but it's nice for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #642 on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »

I loved the number with Neil Patrick Harris and Hugh Jackman!

I had no problem with Spiderman getting to perform. I think all the shows on broadway that opened this year should get to perform. That is what the Tony awards is about - letting people not in NYC get to see what is on broadway now.

What we did not need was a performance from Memphis. To me that was not fair.

And the John Leguizamo (sp?) bit was not needed.

I can't believe they let them go over by 10 minutes!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #643 on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »

Didn't like the Catch Me If You Can Number - the song is boring, the choreography just busy and pointless (and I've enjoyed Jerry Mitchell's work in other shows like Hairspray), it just goes on and on - rather like Leguizamo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #644 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »

Another long speech for The Normal Heart.  Nice that Joel Grey becomes a Broadway director at eighty years of age.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #645 on: June 12, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

And here's the transcript of the final number/rap: PROPS TO LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #646 on: June 12, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

Okay, I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I did not like the opening number - the entire number, including the audience stuff.  Too winky-winky for me and the choreography was Ashford-like - don't know if it's him or not.

Then Ellen Barkin's really annoying and endless preaching - say thank you get the HELL off.

Then Brotherhood of Man, yet more proof that Rob Ashford is as bad as it gets in terms of actually understanding the POINT of a number.  His choreography always reminds me of the 11th grade gym class exercises.  Awful. 

Don't the cheering etc belong to the fans in the balcony? One of the reasons I hate the Tony shows ever since they moved to the Radio City when Rosie O'Donnell took over. I liked it when they were at one of the regular Broadway theaters.

They are not at Radio City; they're at the Beacon on 74th and Broadway. There was very little of that idiotic claque astuff, if there were even any of it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #647 on: June 12, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »

The funny thing about seeing Bobby Morse prior to Radcliffe is just how unique Morse was and is.  Radcliffe is just like a million other fellows, but one who lucked out into the movie role of a lifetime.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #648 on: June 12, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »

DR Michael S - Since the show moved to The Beacon, there were no tickets offered for public sale this year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #649 on: June 12, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »

And here - for anyone who wants it - is the complete list of tonight's Tony Award Winners.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #650 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »

I have to say I hate when they have so much filler and then they have to rush the good stuff.

I'm glad that Chris Rock was able to just say his jokes and that they didn't cut off Best Musical or NPH's funny end speech.

I was afraid they would have to stop at 11pm.

Cillaliz

« Reply #651 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »

DR Jennifer - Alas, chocolate is not good for your throat. Sadly, it can cause acid reflux.

Spoilsport!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #652 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

The funny thing about seeing Bobby Morse prior to Radcliffe is just how unique Morse was and is.  Radcliffe is just like a million other fellows, but one who lucked out into the movie role of a lifetime.

Was Robert Morse even not unique?
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #653 on: June 12, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

DR Michael S - Since the show moved to The Beacon, there were no tickets offered for public sale this year.

I thought they were doing it. Isn't the Beacon larger than a normal Broadway house?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #654 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »

I have to say I hate when they have so much filler and then they have to rush the good stuff.

I'm glad that Chris Rock was able to just say his jokes and that they didn't cut off Best Musical or NPH's funny end speech.

I was afraid they would have to stop at 11pm.

I think the Oscars are far guiltier of lousy production numbers, lousy and endless banter and excessive length.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #655 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »

I generally enjoyed the broadcast.  Happy for Mark Rylance, WAR HORSE, and BOOK OF MORMON.  I was enjoying the numbers until the SPIDERMAN number...the difference between Frank Loesser and Bono.  Harris was a terrific host.

BK, love Jerry Goldsmith.  Met him a couple of times before his death once on the Universal lot and again at the Rozsa memorial.  He had desparately wanted to do the score to DRAGONHEART and I desparately wanted him too.  Alas...His score for LEGEND was brilliant and never should have been replaced by Pink Floyd.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:54:38 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »

Even hot chocolate?  It felt good at the time. I needed to constantly have hot drinks. And i'm not a big coffee or tea drinker.

Ginny

« Reply #657 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »

Well, I'd love to stay and relive the Tonys through BK and others on the west coast, but I've been up since 5am.  My little nap in the car on the way home allowed me to stay awake through the broadcast here, but I'm fadin' fast.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #658 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

Which numbers were shown from rehearsal? It wasn't noticeable to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #659 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »

DR Michael S - The seating capacity of The Beacon hovers around 2800 depending upon seating configurations.

The seating capacity at The Gershwin - the largest Broadway house - is around 1900, but is only 1809 for Wicked.

The seating capacity at Radio City: around 6000.

The Beacon is larger than a Broadway theatre, but MUCH smaller than Radio City Music Hall.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:01:17 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Up