Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAD AND FOOT  (Read 15616 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:HEAD AND FOOT
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2004, 09:12:53 AM »

Hello, all!  I've been doing laundry as well, and I'm back to this Men's Chorus ordeal, which should have been a pleasurable experience but several things went bad:
1,  The Chorus was so  late with contracts that the arranger had other deadlines to meet and hasn't finished the accompaniments for me to score.  They've been trickling in at the rate of one/day for about a week now, even though he knew my deadline because of Goodspeed was June1!
2.  I accepted the job and gave them a good rate last October, thinking I'd be scoring at liesure from March to June 1.  I got my contract the 2nd week of March because the Chorus' business manager is incompetent.
3.  Because of the deadlines, I've been forced to farm out four charts, which will cost me around $2,000!

The good news is that I've heard from DRPanni, and she's arrived in NYC in good shape.  I am so looking forward to our Joe Allen event on Tuesday.

I will be E&T most of today and tomorrow, but I'll try to jump in on Chat.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2004, 09:23:21 AM »

The CBS Sunday Morning item on understudies was excellent. They interviewed various understudies of present Broadway hits. Let me tell you -- Hugh Jackman's understudy is zowie gorgeous! Poor guy. They talked to Lainie Kazan about what it was like being BS's understudy in FUNNY GIRL. She told the story of getting ready to go on one night - finally- when Babs had strep throat. She invited the press, friends, etc. Was in make-up ready to go on at 7:50 - when - you guessed it. She said she went to the coffee shop next door and cried. And because the press was there, it made the papers the next day that she DIDN'T go on. BUT she did get to go on the next night and the press came back.
One understudy for AVENUE Q said the audience booed when it was announced that she was going on. She said "Hey! Screw you! Give me a chance!" In the final moment of the piece they asked Kazan about bad audience reaction on hearing about understudies going on. She looked into the camera and said, "Be careful. You may see magic happen." Great item. And it was followed by an ad for the Tonys. One week. I'm excited.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:29:28 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2004, 09:26:23 AM »

The good news is that I've heard from DRPanni, and she's arrived in NYC in good shape.  I am so looking forward to our Joe Allen event on Tuesday.

I've been known to be absentminded - but surely I'd remember if I were in NY. ;)

I believe it's DR Penny who has arrived.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

Spoo!   DR PennyO is in town, not DRPanni!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2004, 09:51:31 AM »

I believe it's DR Penny who has arrived.

Well, dear, I expect you to work miracles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2004, 09:58:04 AM »

Strange dreams last night, although they're too hazy to remember anymore.  

I am quite a noid right now, dear readers.  This annoyance has to do with something I picked up at the book fair yesterday - a nice gesture for a former dear reader because I thought it would be something they needed.  I wrote a nice two line e-mail last night asking if they needed it, and this morning I got back the rudest repsonse I have ever received via e-mail.  Now, there is a story behind all this, and if I don't receive an apology, I'm afraid I shall write a novelette about the whole sorry situation right here at haineshisway.com.  It's a fascinating story anyway.  It will make for fine reading.

Panni

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »

Last night I dreamed I went to Manderlay again...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2004, 10:15:45 AM »

Dear reader Panni ought to search the archives, since that was a much-used line around these here parts for about six months - it's Manderley, though.

New Juliana entry will be up in ten minutes.  Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Michael

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2004, 10:17:17 AM »

The CBS Sunday Morning item on understudies was excellent. They interviewed various understudies of present Broadway hits. Let me tell you -- Hugh Jackman's understudy is zowie gorgeous! Poor guy. They talked to Lainie Kazan about what it was like being BS's understudy in FUNNY GIRL. She told the story of getting ready to go on one night - finally- when Babs had strep throat. She invited the press, friends, etc. Was in make-up ready to go on at 7:50 - when - you guessed it. She said she went to the coffee shop next door and cried. And because the press was there, it made the papers the next day that she DIDN'T go on. BUT she did get to go on the next night and the press came back.
One understudy for AVENUE Q said the audience booed when it was announced that she was going on. She said "Hey! Screw you! Give me a chance!" In the final moment of the piece they asked Kazan about bad audience reaction on hearing about understudies going on. She looked into the camera and said, "Be careful. You may see magic happen." Great item. And it was followed by an ad for the Tonys. One week. I'm excited.

And I believe Lannie Kazan was fired shortly afterwards the night she went on for La Streisand
Never stop dreaming.

HollyLynn

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2004, 10:32:58 AM »

Sunday Morning is one of my favorite programs.  My friends know not to even think about calling me when it is on.

I acatually met Martha Teichner (a Sunday Morning reporter) a couple of weeks ago.  She couldn't have been nicer.  I'm a particular fan of Bill Giest's stories as well.

Off to make something for a Memorial Day Picnic!

HollyLynn 8)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2004, 11:04:41 AM »

The CBS Sunday Morning item on understudies was excellent. They interviewed various understudies of present Broadway hits.

I just caught this too!  I woke up, turned on the TV in my bedroom and was flipping channels.  They had just finished a segment on something and announce that coming up next was this story on understudies!  I jumped out of bed, put some clothes on, ran into the living room, turned on the TV and VCR, opened up a brand new blank tape and was able to start recording before the segment started!  Whew! ;D

Also, did anyone notice that Barrett Foa (who is John Tartaglia's understudy in Avenue Q) played Jesus in the production of Godspell for which BK produced the cast recording??  If I were religious, I'd be worried about me finding Jesus very attractive! (well, only a little worried. ;) )
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 11:05:20 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »

And I believe Lannie Kazan was fired shortly afterwards the night she went on for La Streisand

Why??  Was she that good?  Or did she leave "under a cloud?" (a The Boy Friend reference)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2004, 11:15:59 AM »

Yes, DRMATTH - I agree....I enjoyed DOWN WITH LOVE, but Renee and Ewan were NOT Rock and Doris.   ::)

As for taking them for granted as you and another DR pointed out yesterday, seeing someone imitate them only points up how truly special and unique they were.

We are so lucky to have their performances on DVD!  ;D

So, Jrand, it has come to that has it?  I have been downgraded to the title of "another DR"?  I feel so nameless, so unimportant!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2004, 11:17:49 AM »

Greetings, Dear Readers.  I slept past nine this morning, which really annoys me.  I know most people enjoy sleeping in, but not I.  I much prefer to be done with breakfast and reading the newspaper with a full day yet in front of me!

Miss Christine Andreas' performance last night was quite enjoyable.  The show was comprised of a nice mix of Broadway, cabaret, and "jazz."  I use the quotation marks because Miss Andreas herself described the "jazz" numbers as being more "jazz-inflected" than anything else.  Truth be told, the jazz was more in the instrumental arrangements (Miss Andreas was backed by a piano and bass) than in the vocal styling.

Highlight numbers from the set include "They Say It's Wonderful," "Fly Me to the Moon," a big waltzy number from The Scarlet Pimpernel, and two back to back ballads about breaking up that left the audience looking for the closest bridge off of which to jump.

There wasn't a whole lot patter, and though Miss Andreas is not the chilliest cabaret performer I've seen, she's not the warmest one, either.  Still, she did connect with the audience.  She has a marvelously clear instrument, and she excels in telling stories by way of song.

The venue--Catalina Bar & Grill--is a little odd.  This is a new location for a venerable jazz institution in Hollywood.  The room is "L"-shaped, with the shorter leg perhaps half again as wide as the longer leg.  The stage is set at the juncture of the two legs, facing the tables in the short leg.  Last night's show was maybe 40% sold, so everyone there was fairly close to the stage.  Some patrons at sold out shows would be rather far from the stage though.  Though I prefer the new Cinegrill's concentric rings, there is far more elbow room at the new Catalina than at the new Cinegrill.  The new Catalina suffers one of the problems of the old Cinegrill, however, in the form of columns that might obstruct some patrons' views.

And a word on my usual bugaboo:  amplification.  Though it seemed to improve as the show went on, and though she was maybe 25 feet away from me, at first it sounded as if Miss Andreas was singing in a tunnel.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 11:28:29 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2004, 11:29:31 AM »

NO NO NO DRTCB....I was just too lazy to go searching in yesterday's posts for the author of the post.

I apologize for not crediting you.  

The BK-BOOK-Former DR story is intriguing.  Hmmmmmmmm....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2004, 11:55:05 AM »

The weather is doing crazy things, so the sun's out and the pool party is back on. I'll be out the door in five minutes.

Finally got around to buying the DVD of the Cukor/Hepburn  LITTLE WOMEN and am looking forward to seeing how it looks on DVD. But I guess I won't get to it until tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2004, 12:35:04 PM »

Also, did anyone notice that Barrett Foa (who is John Tartaglia's understudy in Avenue Q) played Jesus in the production of Godspell for which BK produced the cast recording??  If I were religious, I'd be worried about me finding Jesus very attractive! (well, only a little worried. ;) )

Seth Sikes, who was the choirmaster of Our Wedding - The Musical (those with the CD will find him on the far left, under the cast list) is cute, and, today and tomorrow, you can catch him for free as Jesus in Godspell at Circle in the Square on W. 50th (the sign says Frozen) - tonight at 8 and tomorrow at 2 and 8.  Or, wait till next month and see him in Fame for $81.25.  I know which I'd choose.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2004, 12:43:01 PM »

May I just say where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Sunday on a holiday weekend, although that didn't stop us from having a rather rousing Saturday.  We iz havin' a partay here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2004, 01:07:51 PM »

Oh, yes, tales will be told, and we shall laugh and laugh and just when we think we cannot laugh more, we shall laugh again.  Have I mentioned that we shall laugh?  I abhor rudeness more than almost anything.

Panni

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2004, 01:14:49 PM »

The young man had charisma to spare. I was thinking while watching him that it would be fun to see him perform. On stage, that is. I believe my reaction to him was somewhat different from yours.  8)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2004, 01:23:54 PM »

This morning I went to church and a two-year-old stole my Cherry Coke. I have a new one now.

The end.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2004, 01:29:52 PM »

Topics of the day:
I avoided watching "Trainspotting" for years. When I eventually say it on video I was very impressed. Carlisle can be so good but seems to have made some bad choices in recent years.
Peter Sellers: "Being There" is still my favourite but "The Party" and all Pink Panther movies have great moments.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2004, 01:33:14 PM »

A shift away from the topic of "Rebecca". (Manderley)
I watched "Don't Look Now"  the other night. I think it "stands up" well after 30 years.

Last night's viewing was "Beautiful People" - a gem of an independent film from the late 1990s.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2004, 01:34:36 PM »

- it's Manderley, though.

I wasn't sure before I posted initially, so I checked on Google. As it turns out, both spellings seem to be used interchangeably these days. Although I'm sure that the "ey" version is what du Maurier used - so is therefore the correct one - but both now seem to be out there. As shown in the following excerpts:
Barnes and Noble. com: ...Maxim takes his new bride to Manderlay, a large country estate in Cornwall.
Amazon. com:  " ..."Last Night I Dreamt I Went To Manderley Again." So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 01:35:40 PM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2004, 01:34:42 PM »

Happy Sunday, to one and all.

I have a mild-ISH sinus headache.  The PC screen is glaring at me and I'm hungry.

Oh, yes!  I could nosh on something.

But it has to be the right something.

Otherwise I shall barf.

I'd rather be a noid than to barf.

Sorry your act of kindness was met with hostility, BK.

Been there...experienced that...one never knows...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, yes!  One NEVER knows....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2004, 01:38:30 PM »

This morning I went to church and a two-year-old stole my Cherry Coke. I have a new one now.

The end.

You'd think that thieving two year old would have learned a thing or two attending church!

Panni

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2004, 01:45:29 PM »

I watched "Don't Look Now"  the other night. I think it "stands up" well after 30 years.

Haven't seen it since it first came out. Found it very powerful back then. Especially as halfway through the film I suddenly knew exactly what was going to happen. Like a deja-vu feeling that didn't end after a few moments like they usually do. It was incredibly unnerving. And it wasn't until later that night it suddenly hit me that many years before I had read the du Maurier novella.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »

Well, BK, knowing the item you picked up yesterday and knowing the person for whom it was purchased, I'm now quite intrigued with what the "rudest response" was.  Got me on the edge of my seat.  But remember when you were making the purchase and doing the thoughtful act, my comment at the time was: "Why?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2004, 02:04:21 PM »

I have solved the mystery of BK and the Book....now I only wait to see if I was correct.  Hahahahaha.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »

Well, it just shows to go you that being thoughtful is a losing proposition.

The e-mail, in its entirety - "i told you never to contact me.  ever."  Now, the folly of this e-mail is that while the person and I had come to an agreement that it was best not to continue our friendship (I will go into the reasons soon), you must understand that no such dictum was ever said to me at any time.  Furthermore, the last communication I had with the person was back in January or February and that communication via IM was not instigated by me but by this person.  At that time the person asked how I was and told me a few things that were going on in their life.  Again, I did not initiate the IM session, they did.  At the end of it, I wished the person well and I have not had further communication, until my thoughtful e-mail about this book.

In my heart of hearts, I think this person was being "directed" to write me the rude response, but that's a whole other story which long-time denizens of this here site know a bit of.  It is that tale that I think I'll share for the first time because it will help explain so many things that once went on here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up