Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NUDIE REBORN  (Read 8353 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: NUDIE REBORN
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »

TOD:

I have no idea when I first did most of those things.

The first play I ever saw was HARVEY w/Joe E. Brown.  I was 5 and still remember moments from it.

I can't tell you what was the first movie I saw. 

My mother used to tell me that there was a film in which, in the opening scene, Margaret O'Brien threw a rock and killed a squirrel....and I went running up the theater aisle crying. 

Years later, I came across that movie (OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES).  Since it was released in 1945, I must've been 4 when I saw it.

Whenever I run into Margaret O'Brien at an autograph show, I tell her that she scarred me for life.
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »

That's funny, Ginny. I'm glad they discovered this before the wedding.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »

I remember seeing "Cinderella" and "Shane." Well, we had to sit through "Shane" to see Cinderella. I remember being bored. Very bored.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »

Stars?  STARS?  STARS?!!!

Not on THAT list.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »

Stars?  STARS?  STARS?!!!

Not on THAT list.

Not in the general sense, but some decent "celebrities, lawse yes.

Go Ricki Lake.

Go David Arquette!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »

It will be "fun" to see the lady with whom they pair Chaz Bono!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:09:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »

BK:  As to the visual qualities of "The First Nudie Musical" on Blu-ray, I'm betting that there's too much color.

Just take some out....and then it will be perfect.

;D

(Riffing on "Amadeus", dontchaknow).

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »

TOD - I think my first movie memory has to be a re-release of "Fantasia" in the 70's... both me and my mom fell asleep,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »

TOD:   I guess I'll have to ask my mom which motor skill came first and at what age.

I do have a memory of being told to shut up once too often.  I had curiousity and was always asking questions.  I guess my dad got fed up. I wasn't idly curious.  I probably wanted to know where we were going and what we would be doing when we got there.

I was told to shut up and I'd find out when it happened.

This order was made with such rage (it made me feel worthless) at the time, that I made a conscious decision at that point (I was 8 or 9) to hold all my thoughts to myself.  And I've stuck to it my whole life.  My folks began wondering, when I was 17 and 18, why I wasn't as forthcoming about my hopes and dreams and desires like other parents said their kids were (at the same age).  I couldn't very well become the confidant they suddenly wanted.

I think the lesson is clear:  If you want your child to grow up to be not only a son or daughter but a friend you must be tolerant of them through all the formative years or you'll lose that part of them.

Just thought I'd share that with y'all, since the TOD stirred up the memory for me.

First movie:  There's not just one.  I have strong memories of three films seen in 1956-57.  The first of these may have been "War and Peace" (based on having the earliest release date).  The other two were "The Ten Commandments" and "Anastasia".

I remember parts of these films vividly, especially "War and Peace".   All three films were released in the latter part of 1956..."War and Peace" in August, "The Ten Commandments" in October and "Anastasia" in December.   

I know there were other films, including serials, that I saw on Saturday afternoons at the Johnston SC movie theater...and in 1955 and 1956.  But I just can't recall any of them.   I remember seeing a "Coming Soon" poster for "The Opposite Sex" that I wanted to go see, but we moved before it opened (this was in August 1957).   After that, movies weren't as frequent a treat.  We had moved from a small town to a city.  Both my parents worked...and worked long hours.  We would, on occasion, go to drive-ins, and it was there that I saw such things as "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Sayonara".  I know there were others..."A Bell for Adano" in re-release, for instance.   As for trips to theaters, my mom took me to see "Old Yeller" one night in 1959.  HUGE treat!  And I was also allowed to see "Sleeping Beauty" when it opened in Greenville SC's Fox Theater (Because I was only 10, I was to meet up with an older boy who was the son of one of my mom's co-workers.  He was meant to be a chaperone, of sorts.  He said he looked for me when he arrived after the film started.  I was sitting in the theater.  He never went there, and he left.  My mom was okay about it, but I didn't go to movies alone until I was 14).  That's where I saw all the Disney films back in the 1960s.

Once I was old enough to go to movies alone, the sky was the limit. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:46:26 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Laura

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »

That's a very sad story, Ron.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »

I, on the other hand, am up after a good night's sleep - not quite long enough, but eight hours anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »

I'll do the jog in about forty minutes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

Hmmm....didn't mean it to be sad.  It's part of who I am now.  I can express myself in print in ways that I can't in person, but that's probably true of a lot of people.

In retrospect, it is kind of sad.  My dad had his demons...many emotional ones from WWII and then the "demon rum" kind that plagued him the rest of his life.  It's not easy being the only child of an alcoholic.  You have no one to confide in or commiserate with who is your own age.  It wasn't something you talked about or told friends (who didn't know first-hand).   There was a stigma attached to it that applied to children of alcoholics.   I was shocked once in high school when I learned a much-loved classmate (and a very popular student) had an alcoholic mother.  I wanted to share with her my own stories, but she had all she could cope with at that time so I kept it to myself.   

I'm much more objective about all of it now...at this remove from those years.   I could never have done anything about it then. Discussing it now is very helpful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:33:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »

Forget your troubles, come on, get happy!

:) :D ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »

I am back from all my errands and adventures today. I wanted to meet my London friend Dominic McHugh at the Lincoln Center NYPL to introduce him to my favorite music librarian Bob, but Dominic and his partner who've been stranded in NYC since the storm, needed to hit Virgin airlies about a travel date and weren't sure they'd be able to meet me. At 2:30 I decided to leave and at 3:00 I got a Facebook message from him saying he was at the library! I feel terrible I missed him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to former dear reader Hisaka.

Please send her my birthday wishes. 

Jane

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »

vibes of all kind to thos that need them

DITTO!!!!

Jane

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »

BK - great to hear that your Nudie restoration is turning out so well - Congratulations!

DITTO!!! :D

Jane

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Wedding funny for today:  Mary Linda's mother shopped in Michigan and Mary Linda's sister shopped in Colorado for dresses to wear to the rehearsal and dinner.  A thousand miles apart and they bought the same dress!

;D  Will one of them be making an exchange?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »

BK - great to hear that your Nudie restoration is turning out so well - Congratulations!

DITTO!!! :D

DITTO, TOO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to (former) DR Hisaka!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »

Hmmm....didn't mean it to be sad.  It's part of who I am now.  I can express myself in print in ways that I can't in person, but that's probably true of a lot of people.

In retrospect, it is kind of sad.  My dad had his demons...many emotional ones from WWII and then the "demon rum" kind that plagued him the rest of his life.  It's not easy being the only child of an alcoholic.  You have no one to confide in or commiserate with who is your own age.  It wasn't something you talked about or told friends (who didn't know first-hand).   There was a stigma attached to it that applied to children of alcoholics.   I was shocked once in high school when I learned a much-loved classmate (and a very popular student) had an alcoholic mother.  I wanted to share with her my own stories, but she had all she could cope with at that time so I kept it to myself.   

I'm much more objective about all of it now...at this remove from those years.   I could never have done anything about it then. Discussing it now is very helpful.

Thank you for sharing your memories. I understand about "just who you are" vs "sad" as I'm feel the same way regarding my childhood memories with my alcoholic mother.  I think the worse part was having to keep my secret which isolated me from my peers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:46:37 PM by Jane »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

DR Jane:  We are peas in a pod!

:D

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »

Yup. :)  I did have siblings though, which at time made life easier & other times more difficult.  My sister used to push my mother's buttons until they both exploded.  My father worked long hours so it was just us with my mother, until my older siblings left home giving me a bit of an idea what it was like for you as a single child.

Jane

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »

I have learned a few tips from my friend who was hit hard by Irene.  She can't get any food as ATM, etc. machines don't work.  When stocking up on supplies be sure to include cash.  I think a friend will get her food today, which she only asked for because her daughter is hungry.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »

For all you LAW & ORDER fans, here's the latest example of Hollywood greed:

Universal Home Entertainment has announced that they are releasing a 20 season/104 disc DVD box set in November, LAW & ORDER, The Complete Series.  On Amazon, the price is a little under $500.00.

This means that loyal fans of the series, who already own the previously released 9 seasons on DVD are going to have to purchase those 9 seasons all over again in order to get the 11 yet unreleased seasons.

Personally, I'm going to pass (unless Universal changes course and releases individual seasons) and continue to watch the show on cable TV.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that, within a year or two, you'll be able to buy this set for between $100-$200.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »

Of to another fun rehearsal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »

Of to another fun rehearsal.

I had to read that twice...the first time, I thought you wrote, "...fun funeral." :o

;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »

Did the four-mile jog, had a quick turkey sandwich and no fries or onion rings, picked up three packages (but not the one I'm really anxious to get) and shall now attend a rehearsal.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »

We are so close, but just haven't turned the corner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up