Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE  (Read 28443 times)

Jason

Re:THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2004, 10:26:35 AM »

"Get Your Teddy Ready" sounds like a 50's sleepover party song from GREASE! I can hear Jan and Frenchy singing it now...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2004, 10:26:36 AM »

One of my distant relatives wrote THE TEDDY BEAR PICNIC. Go figure.

If you mean the lyricist, Jimmy Kennedy, you come from good Irish stock.

The Songwriters' Hall of Fame bio states:

While Jimmy Kennedy was a true son of Ireland, the appeal of his music is lasting and universal and stretches far beyond the Irish Sea and the beautiful, inspiring West country. If music indeed is international, Kennedy's many memorable songs are living proof of the fact. They began their lives in Ireland, came into flower on Denmark Street, London's Tin Pan Alley, and spread out to the world. He wrote more than 2,000 songs overall and their sales in sheet music and records reached into the millions. And each of those memorable songs had a story all its own.

He watched a small yacht sailing languidly westward into the setting sun off Portstewart, Northern Ireland and wrote the immortal "Red Sails in the Sunset." In a dense fog, his car's headlights picked out an English pub sign, "Harbor Lights," and his song of that name became an instant sensation. In a British Sunday paper, he read that the English music hall star, Gracie Fields, would be holidaying in her villa in Capri, suggestion enough for him to write, "The Isle of Capri." And when his sister wrote from Southern California that "Today we've gone to Mexico, south of the border," another song came into being, "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)."

An extraordinarily modest man, Kennedy was frequently seen as an 'unsung' hero, yet his lyrics were sung and recorded by a myriad of performing stars including, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Ella Fitzgerald Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, The Platters, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Roy Orbison: Tom Jones, Glenn Miller and countless others.

One of the biggest hits in the illustrious career of The Platters, was one of Jimmy Kennedy's finest, "My Prayer," which reached number two in the American Hit Parade, when "South of the Border," which ultimately was recorded over 300 times was number one. The feat in 1939 was not accomplished again until Lennon and McCartney did so in the sixties. The "Cokey Cokey" was one of the biggest dance sensations of the war. "April in Portugal", one of the most recorded songs of the fifties and "Red Sails in the Sunset" were among his biggest earners, while "Teddy Bears' Picnic," written in 1932, was not far behind.

Kennedy had the native ability to put a little story into a succinct lyric and match it to a tune, usually composed by a co-writer. One of these colleagues, Michael Carr, relating a conversation overheard in a train to Dublin, inspired yet another song. He heard an Irishman ask a young lady if her mother was Irish, "No," came the response, "But my father was." Kennedy soon created yet another winner in the worldwide sweepstakes, "Did Your Mother Come from Ireland?" which became an enormous hit in America. It also was a major record success for Bing Crosby, who had already recorded 14 Jimmy Kennedy songs.

Born in Omagh, County Tyrone in 1902. While fame eluded Kennedy during his lifetime, an award in his name, to mark outstanding contributions to the craft and tradition of professional songwriting, was added to the British Academy of Songwriters' annual Ivor Novello awards and he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1997.

In Portstewart, where the lyrics of "Red Sails in The Sunset" were originally penned, his genius has been recognized by the erection of a ten foot tall 'Fishing Boat' sculpture and plaque which now dominates the famous promenade. And, thanks to the enthusiasm of local admirers, the boat mentioned in the song, "Kitty of Coleraine," has been restored and put on public display in the town.

Jimmy Kennedy died in Northern Ireland in 1984.

There is a detatiled and touching tribute at Irish Culture and Customs

If the relative was J. K. Bratton, the composer, oh well...

der tireless researcher Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jason

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2004, 10:28:38 AM »

It was, indeed, J.K. Bratton. Other sources list him as J.W. Bratton. Either way, the only thing I think he's known for (that I can find) is that silly song. And so far, the only thing I'm sort of known for is POOP: THE MUSICAL...  :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:33:27 AM by Jason »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »

Re: The Puppets in Avenue Q question posted yeterday. It wouldn't let me quote :-\

Joey: to quote from a previous day's thread you can highlight the text, do a CTRL-C copy, then go to the current message you are composing and click on the "Quote" icon - (Line 2, 2nd from the right) and copy the text between the bracketed "quote" boxes.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2004, 10:38:59 AM »

It was, indeed, J.K. Bratton. Other sources list him as J.W. Bratton. Either way, the only thing I think he's known for (that I can find) is that silly song. And so far, the only thing I'm sort of known for is POOP: THE MUSICAL...  :-\

Well, don't feel bad, I looked for Bratton, too, and got nowhere; maybe when POOP gets a Tony the Bratton line will become reknown.

der Brucer (wondering what the show-cards for "POOP" will look like!)

Hmmm - "Into the Woods" had a Giant foot tromping on the Marquee -  maybe for "POOP" we could have a humungous pair of bare buttocks hanging over the side.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2004, 10:39:03 AM »

My nominees for the "Worst Songs Ever" songbook:

"I Shot the Sheriff"

and

"A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall"

(The latter had to have been written by the Devil himself.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jason

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2004, 10:40:59 AM »

www.poopthemusical.com

I highly doubt that POOP: THE MUSICAL will ever go any further than it already has. The writing team have parted ways...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »

"A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall"

(The latter had to have been written by the Devil himself.)

Nah, just one of us Republicans  ;D

der Brucer

PS  A nightmare thought - what if there were a 100 days of Christmas!

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2004, 10:51:24 AM »

ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY is one of my favorite songs!

But...two songs that make me reach for the dial changer on the radio are AMERICAN PIE and COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE...both songs simply grate on my nerves like nothing else can!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2004, 10:54:21 AM »

JMK, that is wonderful about hearing from Mr. Maltin! JRand reminded me to read your information about SHADOWLAND before I started reading the book, which I am now in the midst of. I finished WILL THERE REALLY BE A MORNING (did I get that title right?) a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it, but thought it suspicious that she died before it was published! Hmmm.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo) count me as a big fan of Sergio Mendes (and Brasil 65/66).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2004, 11:01:40 AM »

Another viewpoint.

From Andrew Sullivan:

REAGAN AND AIDS: I have been upbraided for not mentioning Ronald Reagan's AIDS legacy in describing him as my hero. The basic argument from the gay left is that Reagan was single-handedly responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of people by negligence. This, however, borders on loopy. Reagan should indeed be faulted for not doing more to warn people of the dangers of infection early enough (Thatcher was far better). But the truth is that it was pretty obvious very early on that something dangerous was afoot as AIDS first surfaced. Just read Larry Kramer at the time. Many people most at risk were aware - mostly too late, alas - that unprotected sex had become fatal in the late 1970s and still was. You can read Randy Shilts' bracing "And The Band Played On," to see how some of the resistance to those warnings came from within the gay movement itself. In the polarized atmosphere of the beleaguered gay ghettoes of the 1980s, one also wonders what an instruction from Ronald Reagan to wear condoms would have accomplished. As for research, we didn't even know what HIV was until 1983. Nevertheless, the Reagan presidency spent some $5.7 billion on HIV in its two terms - not peanuts. The resources increased by 450 percent in 1983, 134 percent in 1984, 99 percent the next year and 148 percent the year after. Yes, the Congress was critical in this. But by 1986, Reagan had endorsed a large prevention and research effort and declared in his budget message that AIDS "remains the highest public health priority of the Department of Health and Human Services." In September 1985, Reagan said:

"ncluding what we have in the budget for '86, it will amount to over a half a billion dollars that we have provided for research on AIDS in addition to what I'm sure other medical groups are doing. And we have $100 million in the budget this year; it'll be 126 million next year. So, this is a top priority with us. Yes, there's no question about the seriousness of this and the need to find an answer."

But the sad truth is also that there was never going to be an easy answer to HIV in the Reagan years. Throwing even more money at research in those days would not have helped much. Anthony Fauci's NIH, goaded by heroes like Larry Kramer, was already pushing for focus and resources; FDA red tape was loosened considerably; and the painfully slow scientific process continued. The fact that we got revolutionary drugs in trials by the early 1990s was itself an heroic scientific achievement - arguably the most miraculous progress in a medical emergency since the polio vaccine. Should Reagan have done more? Yes. Were people like Bill Bennett and Gary Bauer responsible for delaying a real prevention response because only gays were dying? You bet. But was Reagan ultimately responsible for so many tragic, early deaths? No. HIV was. Viruses happen. It's a blemish on his record, but not as profound as some, with understandable grief, want to make it out to be.

And from a gay lawyer friend in California:

"One of the Gay Left's most unfair canards against Reagan is that he did not mention the word "AIDS" during his first six years as President.

The first AIDS cases were only diagnosed in 1981 (RWR's first year in office).  These cases were not recognized as belonging to a mutually related group, or "syndrom" for several years; the CDC only recognized AIDS by name and established reporting criteria in 1984 (revised '85).  In other words, there was no such recognized thing as AIDS for Reagan to mention for the first 3 of those 6 years!  Might as well fault Lincoln for not mentioning space exploration.

While AIDS loomed large in the consciousness of the Gay community (some of whom were defensively insisting it was not a "Gay disease" while most of the rest were in total denial), by the end of '85 there had been only 7500 cases nationwide - even as counted under the revised, broader criteria adopted in that year - out of a U.S. population of 230 million.  AIDS simply was under the radar as far as the general population was concerned, except for Jerry Falwell and that ilk.  (Legionnaire's Disease, by contrast, affected dozens of people in a single week in a single place, and made headlines.  Reagan never mentioned that, either, although Congress rushed to the reporters.  Nobody seems to be upset with him over that.  Some even praised his restraint!)  

Presidents rarely talk about any disease.  Name one that Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, or Carter ever discussed (except for the ritual annual support of the polio drive under the first two, or when hailing some major advance made by an American).  Why should Reagan have mentioned one, especially one which in its worst year to date had affected only 16 Americans per 100,000, and cumulatively only 3 out of 10,000?  Might he not be excused for thinking he had more pressing things to deal with, like Tip O'Neill (who hadn't mentioned AIDS, either) and the Soviet Union?  Or even diseases which affected many more people than did AIDS (he didn't discuss them either)?

Nevertheless, in 1985, one of his and Nancy's best friends died of AIDS.  He was shaken, and he turned his attention to research by redirecting funding in the 1986 CDC budget.  Like previous Presidents, he didn't discuss the disease until he had something good to say (also, probably, because redirecting research funds from things that affected more people would have raised a ruckus if noticed).  In 1987, he first talked about AIDS when AZT was developed.  

Thus the unfairness of the charge that he didn't mention AIDS for his first six years:
        First three years - AIDS not recognized
        Next two - AIDS still minor, affecting very few Americans
        Last one - funding research and waiting for something positive.

In hindsight people ask, "How could he not have voiced concern over this epidemic?"  The answer is that it wasn't an epidemic in those six years.  Maybe it was epidemic in the Gay community by 1986, but to discuss it in those terms would have been to label it a Gay disease, which was precisely what we didn't want.  When he hailed AZT in 1987, AIDS was still not an epidemic, but he had the perfect opportunity to talk about it without calling it a Gay plague.  From that point until now AIDS research funding has been a formal part of the federal budget."

der Brucer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2004, 11:08:25 AM »

MacArthur Park, no question, wins hands down in my book. I either have to leave the room or change the station when that song appears.

Meant to comment on this when I first saw it. I'm a huge fan of this song, so I must respectfully disagree, DR Ben. In fact, I think it's a minor (here comes a misused word - but I mean it) masterpiece. That's what makes a horserace, I guess.
I've been listening again to Richard Harris' version and especially love that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2004, 11:20:31 AM »

Richard Harris' version is the ONLY version as far as I'm concerned.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2004, 11:21:43 AM »

Richard Harris' version is the ONLY version as far as I'm concerned.

This Donna Summer fan respectfully disagrees.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2004, 11:22:10 AM »

It does bring tears to one's eyes!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 11:50:43 AM by DERBRUCER »

Ben

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2004, 11:24:52 AM »

OMG (Oh, my G*d in internet lingo) I had no idea there were that many fans on MacArthur Park. What am I missing when I hear this song???

Ben

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2004, 11:25:32 AM »

I think Mr. L and Ms. C have put us into Cinerama

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:07 AM »

Am I the only one who thought that Carol Channing / LL Cool J bit was funny?  It wasn't the best thing I've ever seen.  But it was amusing.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:50 AM »

This Donna Summer fan respectfully disagrees.

As does his brother.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2004, 11:32:17 AM »

Noel & Joey, thanks for the Avenue Q explanation.  Now that I understand the conceit, I get it.  My first experience with the show was that song on the Tonys, so taken out of context...it was just a bit curious.  I figured there had to be a logically explanation.  And there is, as you've explained.

BK, disagree about MASTER & COMMANDER, I love the way they created a whole world for me that I did not know within about the first ten minutes of that film.  I also enjoyed the performances of Crowe and Bettany (if you've never seen Gangster #1, Bettany gives a harrowing performance in it).  I very much enjoyed the film.  And how nice to have a film with just two action scenes and character scenes in between, instead of mindless wall-to-wall action and no character.

Worst song ever:  ALLEY CAT.  Followed by IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL, PEPE, and, thanks for reminding me, Tomovoz, SEASONS IN THE SUN.  

And, George, I agree, I've never cottoned to YESTERDAY by the Beatles.  Just don't like it.  Got no problem with MICHELLE, however.

I hate most Jerry Herman anthem songs...DOLLY, MAME, I AM WHAT I AM, DEAR WORLD...

I hate THOSE WERE THE DAYS, MY FRIEND and I've always disliked THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ & Irving Berlin's ALWAYS.

Ben, mentioned MACARTHUR PARK.  It certainly gets the prize for one of the stupidest lyrics ever:  I left the cake out in the rain and I'll never have that recipe again?...Merely one example.  Richard Harris' self-indulgent performance never helped the song.

I'm a big fan of The Teddy Bear's Picnic and have many recordings of it.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2004, 11:36:44 AM »

For those who mark their calendars:

OBC of CAROLINE OR CHANGE will be released June 29

OBC of ASSASSINS revisal will be released July 27
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2004, 11:37:08 AM »

To add to the Teddy Bears Picnic lore... Dear Daughter is one of the tykes on a Lamb Chops Play-Along Video  - "Get Your Teddy Ready" (it's in all your collections, I'm sure) in which I believe she takes part in the Teddy Bears Picnic production number.

Panni, the library where I work has two copies.  One has circulated 83 times and the other 137 times!  Your daughter is famous in the Pacific Northwest!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2004, 11:38:30 AM »

...and the plastic lawn flamingo I keep in my room.

A perfect pairing with the lovely tea service you showed us the other day!  Have you considered interior design, Sandra?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2004, 11:44:28 AM »

I don't need to mark my calendar as neither is a purchase for me.

Master and Commander: That's what makes horse racing.  I didn't feel I got to know anyone in the film.  I do like Peter Weir, though, especially Witness.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2004, 11:46:56 AM »

Re:  worst song.  I guess I must be dating myself (no mean feat), but I cannot believe people are naming "Michelle" and "The Shadow of Your Smile."  .

Don't feel bad, JMK, I have been going steady with myself for four years.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2004, 11:48:05 AM »

I thought Channing looked terrible.

She barely seemed able to support the weight of the dress (her "Jazz Baby" dress, no less); her legs looked very frail and skinny, and I thought the wig looked awful.

That she was funny, to me, made it sadder.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 11:57:19 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2004, 11:53:36 AM »

I think Mr. L and Ms. C have put us into Cinerama

I have put Ms. C on top of Mr. C - which image does boggle the mind.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2004, 11:59:58 AM »

Sadly, I am sure she thought she was DRRLP.

M/C - from the previews etc, I thought this would be a LOT more exciting than it was.  Full of battles and strategy, etc....but as BK said, lots of talk and life on the ship.

OMG Alley Cat....please...please....I will not repeat my experience!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2004, 12:00:21 PM »

Dear Daughter is one of the tykes on ... - "Get Your Teddy Ready"

Daughter doing commercials for "Victoria Secrets" new Junior Line?

Jed

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2004, 12:03:45 PM »

Don't feel bad, JMK, I have been going steady with myself for four years.

Like father, like son!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up