Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE  (Read 28442 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« on: June 08, 2004, 12:04:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have not been elusive like the butterfly of love, and therefore you are ready to post until the elusive cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 12:01:31 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 12:07:24 AM »

So where is Bob Lind these days?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

Elusive?

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 12:10:44 AM »

"Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" is absolute cringe material for me. I also loathe Seasons In The Sun.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 12:14:24 AM »

Some of my favorite terrible songs:

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree, Danke Schoen, Honey, and so many others.  I've always been fond of the delightfully awful title song to Scent of Mystery in Smell-o-Vision:

A strange excitement in the air
The smell of perfume lingers there
Could it be love or could it be
The Scent of Mystery?

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 12:20:05 AM »

Almost any lyric written by the Bee Gees (they wrote some lovely melodies) - especially those written by Robin. Hard to Find a word with more than one syllable - "I Started A Joke" is my least favourite!
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 12:23:27 AM »

I hate "Feelings" and "The Shadow of Your Smile," as well as "Michele" and "Yesterday" by the Beatles.  When I was in high school, we had to sing the two Beatles songs and it was sheer torture...for me, at least.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 12:24:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 12:31:18 AM »

A collection To die for:

Buddy Knox - I Think I'm Gonna Kill Myself
Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
Johnny Preston - Running Bear
The Shangri-lahs - Leader Of The Pack
Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve
Dicky Lee - Patches
Everly Brothers - Ebony Eyes
Johnny Burnette - I Go Down To the River
Patti Page - One Of Us Will Weep Tonight
Barry Mann - Johnny Surfboard
Pat Boone - Moody River
Bobby Darin - Artificial Flowers
Bobby Goldboro - Honey
John D Loudermilk - Darling Jane
Jody Reynolds - Endles Sleep
Burl Ives - Mary Ann Regrets
Paul Evans - Hello This Is Joanie
Bobbie Gentry -Ode To Billie Jo
Roger White - The Mystery Of Tallahatchie Bridge
Twinkle - Terry
Terry Tyler - A Thousand Feet Below
Austin Roberts - Rocky
Frank J Wilson - Last Kiss
The Detergents - Leader Of the Laundromat

James Thurber 1957

babyfatso

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 02:17:43 AM »

I certainly agree with "Honey".  And that awful song about the horse and the woman and the winter storm - "Wildfire".  And Elvis' "Softly".  Go boo-hoo on your own time.
There's not much to see, really, we're inside a Chinese dragon.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:13 AM »

My least favorite song is Home on the Range as *performed* by my grandfather. I also kinda like it, the same way I like leopard spots and the plastic lawn flamingo I keep in my room.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 05:04:23 AM »

MacArthur Park, no question, wins hands down in my book. I either have to leave the room or change the station when that song appears.

Stairway to Heaven is also very, very high on my list of awful songs and I even grew up during that time.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 05:18:19 AM »

Obnoxiously cutesy songs in musicals, like Christine's "I Am a Little Sparrow," make me woof. The hit-you-over-the-head-clever song is another genre that really irritates me. High on this list is "Lights! Camera! Platitude!" from What Makes Sammy Run.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 05:21:38 AM »

TomovOz,

Thanks loads for mentioning "Seasons in the Sun." Now I can't stop hearing it. Yuck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 05:47:31 AM »

DR Charles Pogue...
Not sure I can explain Avenue Q in a way that does it justice.  It's kind of like explaining why there are all those doors in the set of a farce.

Ave. Q poses the musical question "What if there was a Sesame Street for young adults?" and so it has to resemble the PBS show that every adult under 45 grew up with.  Instead of explaining concepts like "sharing" and "the silent e" Avenue Q explains existential struggles and odd body parts you can touch during sex.

So, Avenue Q is a place where, like Sesame Street, humans co-exist with puppets and no body seems to notice the difference.  I saw the show at an early workshop and was fascinated by the faces of the puppeteers.  They revealed a full range of expressions while the puppets, of course, have a somewhat more limited range of expressions.  This was an early reading, but, my fondest hope, at the time, was that the puppeteers would not be hidden.  In many forms of theatre using puppets, the manipulators are unhidden and everyone accepts them as part of the show.

Of the Tony nominees, it's the only one I wished I'd written.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jason

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 06:34:34 AM »

Hey...
If you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world...

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Others that stick in my craw:

Tomorrow
Who's That Girl?
Turn, Turn, Turn
Purple People Eater
Take My Breath Away (that Top Gun song...)
This Is All I Ask as sung by Herve Villachez

Since seeing/hearing CAROLINE, OR CHANGE, I've been hooked again on hearing Ms. Tesori's VIOLET. Such a great score. I want to be in that show someday...but not as Violet, of course.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 06:46:12 AM »

Worst song I ever heard?  Anything disco!

I just read it was the lowest rated TonyŽ Show in history.  I'm not surprised.  So my question is since they know the show is only going to attract people who are fans of the Broadway theatre why do they lower the whole tone of the show trying to attract others with movie stars and pop singers?  Mary J. Blige was asked if she ever saw A CHORUS LINE and her reply was "I think I saw the movie".   And they should return at least the first hour to PBS where you get to see the less flashy awards presented instead of just clips of them.

Last night I attended "Broadway Bound 4", a program of selections from eight musicals in various stages of developement done by Broadway stars.  Had I known about it and gone to the first in this series in 2001, I would have seen selections from AVENUE Q.  The TonyŽ winning songwritters of that show appeared as surprise guests and performed a number that they had done there four years ago and was eventually cut from the show.

As for the eight new musicals presented last night, two of them were shows that I really didn't care for.  The first was an experimental piece about da da art.  The second was a musical by Adolph Green's daughter Amanda about sex.  I really felt sorry for Norbert Leo Butz who had to sing a song called "Please Let Me Feel Your Breast".

The other six shows all showed promise.  One of them --- a show about Dorothy Gale meeting L. Frank Baum in Kansas alternating with a gay love story 100 years later --- had some really good songs but the concept seems a little strange.  Another --- an a capella musical about life in New York --- was great in a ten minute segment but might not hold up for a full evening.  The most impressive show that I have the most hope for is a musicalization of the Capra film MEET JOHN DOE.

The cast was uniformly good.  Liz Callaway hosted and also sang.  Others included Kerry Butler, Howard McGillin, Stephen Bogardus, Jim Walton and Julia Murney.  Also most impressive was a performer I was previously unfamiliar with: Richard Todd Adams who did the Gary Cooper role in MEET JOHN DOE and who I hope continues with that role in any future workshops and productions of the musical.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 06:56:03 AM »

I would agree with the Beatles' "Michelle" but I truly love "Yesterdays," probably the one song of theirs I really think it beautiful and worthy of repetition.

My least favorite Broadway song from a hit show (lots of losers from flop shows) is "Hurry Back" from APPLAUSE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »

WEL: WAS has been around for a while...in novel form, anyway. I found a reprint of it at Amazon.com, and the date on it is 1993. The author is Geoff Ryman.

Was the a capella NY musical called AVENUE X? I have a recording of an a capella NY musical by that name that's been around for quite a while, too.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 07:04:45 AM »

Good morning. Tomovoz won't like this - but I cannot stand "God Save the Queen"... Had to sing it every morning in school in Canada - and I LOATHED it. It is so boring.

God save our gracious Queen,
long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
happy and glorious,
long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

BTW - If you want to hear the catchy tune and see the WHOLE thing - every verse - go to...

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g252.html

Other tunes will follow as the day goes on. I'm going to walk now.

Jason

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 07:11:38 AM »

A.K.A. "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee..."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 07:17:43 AM »

ANyone else interested in the new show THE JURY coming on tonight. It's produced by Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana who gave us HOMICIDE and OZ. My local TV critic really liked it, but the USA TODAY TV critic really unloaded on it badly, but then he didn't like OZ either, and I loved the first three seasons.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 07:23:31 AM »

Re:  Futurama.  BK, this is Portlander Matt Groening's followup series to The Simpsons.  While not quite in that league, it does have some clever moments, and is excellently voiced by, among others, Katey Sagal (have you ever heard her CD, BTW?  It's quite good).

Re:  worst song.  I guess I must be dating myself (no mean feat), but I cannot believe people are naming "Michelle" and "The Shadow of Your Smile."  Since most of you know I love Sergio Mendes (musically speaking, of course, not that there's anything wrong with that), I will name a really hideous little song he recorded during his disco phase--"You Get Your Love From Me."  Chances are, you've never heard it.  Consider yourselves lucky.

And, finally:  da-da-da-da-da-da (ba-ba-ba-ba-ba).  Why, you may ask, am I humming the Entertainment Tonight theme?  As I emailed JR yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to get a very nice email yesterday from none other than Leonard Maltin, who is interested in my Frances Farmer research!  I am hoping Mr. Maltin will help get the word out about this much maligned actress.  Remember, you read Shedding Light on Shadowland here first (or at least had the link here first!)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 07:24:21 AM »

Add this one to my list...

http://www.treasurehiding.com/random/why.htm

(Click on it...it's fun!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 07:24:49 AM »

I believe the "new" Amanda Green musical is one I saw here about six years ago.  Not very good, I'm afraid.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 07:25:18 AM »

Welcome babyfatso, to Avenue haineshisway.com.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 07:31:36 AM »

Notes from yesterday:

For Panni (women to invite):

Abigail Adams
Mary Shelley
George Eliot
Pearl Buck
Helen Keller
Catherine de' Medici

Moura Budberg -

"Ukrainian-born baroness, Moura Budberg, She married her second husband, Baron Budberg, in Estonia; later she fled to join the Russian writer Maxim Gorky, whose mistress she became

Moving to London in the early 1930s, she quickly established an intellectual salon frequented by her latest lover, H G Wells, the filmmaker Alexander Korda, for whom she worked, and George Bernard Shaw. Her social circle extended to Duff Cooper, the War Minister, through to Anthony Eden, then Foreign Secretary"

Eleanor Robson Belmont Check Here

der Brucer (would Charlotte von Mahlsdorf count?)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 07:37:25 AM »

And a note for George who posed:

Here at work, we're having a bake sale.  Someone brought in "mystery" cookies...actually, oatmeal raisin cookies from a recipe from a mystery novel.  Anyway, there is a "mystery ingredient" in the recipe and I was told (I don't like raisins, so I didn't have any) that the mystery ingredient was/is tomato soup!  Someone else did have some of the cookies and said that she could not taste any tomato at all.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??

Answer: Yes

From Harry and David's O Chef:

Fusion Tomato Soup Cookies (We made up the name ourselves. Like it?)

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup shortening
1-1/3 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 cup condensed tomato soup
2-1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped pecans

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and ground cloves. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add in the egg and beat well. Add the tomato soup and blend. Gradually mix in the mixed dry ingredients. Then add the oats, raisins and pecans and mix well.

Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls and place them 1-1/2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten the balls slightly. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly colored. Cool on wire racks.

der Brucer

O Chef's comment: We are torn between our desire to help you and our desire to help you see the error of your ways.

Jason

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 07:38:35 AM »

And don't forget Harriet Tubman. She'd be an interesting person to go back and talk to... And, of course, Annie Sullivan would have to accompany Ms. Keller.

I'd love to go back and talk to Lizzie Borden and find out what really happened, too.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 07:42:31 AM »

TOD:

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?
Cross Over the Bridge

Watching Your Hit Parade put a different spin on these turkeys week after week was painful!

Then there is always The Duke of Earl, Duke, Duke,...

der Brucer (who is ashamed to admit to knowing by heart most of the lyrics of previously mentioned songs - the sign, some would say, of a wasted youth!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2004, 07:51:21 AM »

And don't forget Harriet Tubman. She'd be an interesting person to go back and talk to... And, of course, Annie Sullivan would have to accompany Ms. Keller.

I'd love to go back and talk to Lizzie Borden and find out what really happened, too.

Let's see, we could pair Harriet Tubman with Harriet Beecher Stowe; lets invite John Rubinstein to do the honors for Helen; and O. J. to commiserate with Lizzie.

der Brucer - hearing the defense summation at Lizzie's trial:

"It's just an ax, relax!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up