Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SMELL OF HONEYSUCKLE  (Read 14511 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SMELL OF HONEYSUCKLE
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes smelled of honeysuckle, and now it is time for you to post until the honeysuckle cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SMELL OF HONEYSUCKLE
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: KEGLER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »

As promised, here are the two new Kritzerland releases, the last two of 2011.  Order the usual way if you want 'em in advance (and I wouldn't wait on The Raven) - it's 19.98 EACH, plus 3.75 shipping (covers both if you're getting both) - so 23.73 for one title, or 43.71 for two.

Kritzerland presents its final two new limited edition CD soundtracks for 2011:

THE RAVEN/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE
Music Composed and Conducted by Les Baxter

and

THE TRIAL
Music and Arrangements by Jean Ledrut

In 1960, Roger Corman made House of Usher, the first of his inspired-by Edgar Allan Poe films, and it was an exploitation sensation, playing to packed houses and packed cars at drive-ins.   Knowing a good thing when he saw it, he followed with more inspired-by Poe films, including The Pit and the Pendulum, The Premature Burial, Tales Of Terror, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Tomb of Ligeia.   These were all stylish horror films, but only one of them was an out-and-out comedy and that was The Raven.

With a screenplay by Richard Matheson and delectable performances by the likes of Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff (along with a young Jack Nicholson and a fetching Hazel Court), audiences expecting a horror film instead got a horror comedy, with an emphasis on the latter.   It didn’t matter that the emphasis was on the latter, because audiences still flocked to see it. 

Adding to the fun of The Raven is the delightful score of Les Baxter, who did several of the Corman/Poe films.   Baxter uses electronics as well as conventional orchestra, and the result is a really fun and interesting score that just propels the film along its merry way.  His eerie electronica for the opening narration of the Poe poem is really effective, and his music for the battle of the sorcerers is classic Baxter, as his exhilarating music for the wild ride to Scarabus’ castle. 

In 1970, AIP produced a low-budget hour-long TV show called An Evening Of Edgar Allan Poe, starring Vincent Price doing solo recitations of four Poe stories: “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Sphinx,” “The Cask Of Amontillado,” and “The Pit and the Pendulum.”  Naturally, AIP turned to their favorite composer, Les Baxter, and he provided his usual excellent work and some of his most adventurous scoring – a little more atonal than he usually did, but some seriously great music.  The show has a brief main and end title theme, and then four complete scores.

For this release, the first ever for this music, only one tape could be found, the second of two reels.  However, it was a full reel and contained music from not only the second part of the film but several cues from the first part.  Taking our cue from the popularity of the La La Land release of Baxter’s score from X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes, which was the same situation – one tape, partial score – we decided that some Raven was better than no Raven, especially as we actually had a lot of music from the film and unlike the partial score to X, none of it was source music.  So, with close to twenty-five minutes of original score, it’s actually a pretty good sampling of the film’s music.  We also include several of the electronica cues as a bonus.   The mono tape was in excellent shape.  This music for An Evening Of Edgar Allan Poe was released on CD by Citadel – that release had shrill and unpleasant sound and was in some sort of phony stereo – for this release we present the score from its original mono tapes and in proper order, and include for the first time the main and end title, taken from the DVD release. 

THE TRIAL

In 1962, Orson Welles brought The Trial to the screen in what he himself called “the best film I ever made.”  Whether one agrees with that assessment or not, The Trial is Welles at his Wellesiest, with brilliant imagery and atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife.  Filmed in gorgeous black-and-white, featuring a screenplay by Welles, and incredible performances by Anthony Perkins as the persecuted Joseph K., Romy Schneider, Welles, Jeanne Moreau, Akim Tamiroff, and Elsa Martinelli, The Trial truly captures the Kafka spirit while also being uniquely Wellesian.  The film is a nightmare of paranoia and persecution, along with unexpected moments of Wellesian humor.  It is an astonishing film, where every component comes together to create a world that is bleak, desolate, and ultimately futile.

One of the elements that contributes heavily to the atmosphere and feeling of the film is the score by Jean Ledrut, using both original music and adaptations of Tomaso Albinoni’s stunning and iconic “Adagio in G minor.”  Ledrut only scored a handful of films, including Abel Gance’s 1960 film The Battle of Austerlitz.   Ledrut’s score relies heavily on variations of the Albinoni “Adagio,” as well as some wonderfully atmospheric original cues.  There are several jazz-flavored pieces, as well (played by the great jazz pianist and composer Martial Solal, he of Breathless fame), and it all works splendidly, especially as a listening experience. 

The Trial was originally released on both an EP and LP.  The latter is one of the rarest of all soundtrack LPs.  The CD is mastered from a ¼ inch tape source in excellent condition.     

Each release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it. 

CD will ship the third week of January – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:25:57 AM »

And the new episode of Outside The Box is live.  In the end I went with my first choice - Alet and Andy. 

http://youtu.be/Fkr3QAc2JDE
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:32:23 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR PennyO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:33:45 AM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to DR Dan (the Man)!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:35 AM »

From yesterday:

Congrats to DR GEORGE on 33,000 posts!

Thanks, Jack!  And congrats to YOU on your 50,002 posts! :D

George

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »

Also from yesterday:

I was browsing eBay last night and was shocked to see how much some of our stuff is going for - signed Chitty went for seventy or eighty bucks last week.

And HERE is one that's listed at $99.99...to start! :o

It's ending this afternoon, but I don't think that it'll get any bids.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »

Go watch Outside The Box!

George

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:50 AM »

As promised, here are the two new Kritzerland releases, the last two of 2011.  Order the usual way if you want 'em in advance (and I wouldn't wait on The Raven) - it's 19.98 EACH, plus 3.75 shipping (covers both if you're getting both) - so 23.73 for one title, or 43.71 for two.

Kritzerland presents its final two new limited edition CD soundtracks for 2011:

THE RAVEN/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE
Music Composed and Conducted by Les Baxter

and

THE TRIAL
Music and Arrangements by Jean Ledrut

CDs ordered!

George

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:47:49 AM »

Go watch Outside The Box!

I wanted to make sure that I ordered the CDs and then I had a little hiccup with my Internet access. :P

All is well and I'm watching it now. :)

George

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »

That was funny, BK! ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:31 AM »

Spread the word, baby.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 04:04:45 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAKE DAY TO DEAR READER PENNYO!!!

HAPPY BIRHTDAY CAKE DAY #2 TO DEAR READER DAN (THE MAN)!!!
Never stop dreaming.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:44 AM »

just watched Outside the Box

my jaw dropped
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:19 AM »

oh my goodness

vixmom

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:12:36 AM »

sorry I dropped off soearly last night   all that physical work wore me out and I actually fell asleep over my laptop as I wasattempting to carch up

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »

John G wonderful news about your Dad!

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:13:34 AM »

I hope the police catch the door breakers

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:10 AM »

JMK I think it is lovely that you adopt a family

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:17 AM »

Yesterday while putting up the tree we showed the Vixter the Robin Williams film  Moscow on the HUdson - she was born post USSR of course so some explanations was needed -

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 04:21:07 AM »

then we watched our traditional putting up the tree show - Into The Woods

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »

followed that by Monty Python's "Not The Messiah" which we never heard before

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »

oh!  I didn't read the notes!

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to Dear Dan the Man!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »

Happy HAPPY  Birthday to Dear Penney O!!!

Michael

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:05 AM »

The reason why I've been absent lately excuse......

I've been having laptop problems. I have 9 bad sectors (according to the guy at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store).

I went to back up my hard drive and found out that my backup  disc drive somehow got damage and now longer worked.

So I went out a bought a Dream Machine by Apple (which is not exactly cheap and the money I spent would have gone towards Christmas Gifts for family and friends) and spent three and half days backing up my hardrive. (My laptop would shutdown after three hours if I didn't use it. Finally figured that out and disabled it.)

I didn't go on line during the backup process for fear of losing anything else or screwing up the backup

One of the bad sectors holds almost all my music from my ITunes. That was almost 20,000 tracks. Most upsetting for me was the over 300 songs (many of them rare and very difficult to find) that I collected for my Academy Award winning song collection these past two years. I got really really upset over that. I really didn't care about the other music.

I had planned to give a CD of my Christmas Mix as gift this year, but that's not going to happen.

Luckily #1:
Finally I remembered I had all the songs on my IPod and had upload  them to my IPod.
The good news is that any song I downloaded from ITunes is recoverable. I also found some other songs in folders that were somehow not save in the ITunes music folder. These included songs I had downloaded from Amazon.

That leaves over 19,000 songs I am going to upload again.

Luckily #2 I still had all my Cd's. I had been cataloging them as I was planning to sell off my collection of Cast Albums, Broadway/Film related and vocal albums as one package on Ebay. I will be holding off on that.

Luckily #3 I had backed up all my documents and photos on "thumb drives" as I was trying to free up my hard drive because I thought it would make things going faster; not knowing I had bad sectors that was causing my problems.

After the New Year I will take it into Best Buy and see if my extended warranty will cover the replacement of the hard drive. I'm will to pay any difference to get a larger drive. (If they will do that).

So that's my sad story. :-)

Never stop dreaming.

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:31 AM »

Well boys and girls I have to get ready for church!

Ben

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 04:41:46 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 04:42:11 AM »

Happy Day to DtM (AKA Dan-the-Man)!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up