Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HURRIED AND CURRIED NOTES  (Read 21885 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE HURRIED AND CURRIED NOTES
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2004, 08:43:34 AM »

If the mere mention of the title of that Irving Berlin ditty does it to you, stay MILES away from THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS which does the song in an unending series of variations using almost every conceivable accent except Swahili
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2004, 08:46:10 AM »

BK, I know you make sense, but this was an announcement from Fox's publicity department.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »

Good Morning!

YES!!  I got up early enough to say, "Good Morning!"

And I have to clean my room today - I couldn't even laugh at all of it when I woke up this morning - and tried to find a clear path to my bedroom door.

Bio-Pics: The aforementioned subjects: GYPSY, THE MIRACLE WORKER, etc...  And those totally overblown Ken Russell pics have always held my interest, more or less - sometimes more, sometimes less - THE MUSIC LOVERS is the one that comes immediately to mind.

Amusement parks:  I've read about Cedar Point and I do hope to make it there someday.  Otherwise, my favorite ride has to be "The Tower of Terror" at Disney-MGM Studios.  And the fact that they update the ride on a regular basis really earns brownie points with me.  I like "Pirates of the Carribean" better at Disneyland rather than at Disneyworld - it has a bigger drop in CA.

The roller-coasters at the Universal Parks are good too, but, as I learned last fall, just because you can ride all six of them in a row in less than an hour doesn't mean you have to ride all six of them in less than an hour.  Oh, but the "Shrek 4-D" movie/ride was/is tons of fun - but I still like the Muppet one too at Disney-MGM.

Locally, Paramount Kings Dominion has some good coasters with "The Volcano" and "The Hypersonic SLC (Super Launch Coaster)" being on the top of my list.  However, there always seems to be a line, and they raise the price of admission at least $5.00 each summer it seems.  -And I always seem to go on the hottest day of the summer when park attendance is setting a new high.  *Plus, it seems like they only really clean the park - and the rides - every two or three years - ugh.  And by the end of the season, there is so much gum stuck along the entry-ways to the rides.. eeew...  Ah, well..  BUT, I do like the rides, and with the right group of people - or even just by myself (makes it very easy to get to the head of the lines, "Single rider?") it's a fun place to spend the day.

And as for AVENUE Q in Vegas... I'm not really sure how I feel about the announcement.  But I'm pretty sure it won't be cut down to 90 minutes.  Does anyone know if CHICAGO or MAMMA MIA! were/have been edited down?  *The various Cirque du Soleil shows do have intermissions in Vegas, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2004, 08:58:39 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

DR DearReaderLaura, I always love your photos, but that one made my skin crawl!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »

CHICAGO and MAMMA MIA! were not cut down for the Vegas productions. I have mixed feelings about the AVE. Q announcement, too. Apparently they've been offered a buttload of cash to take this deal, so the little show with a lot of heart is going where the cash is. Hmm. I think it's a little unfair to the rest of the country who saw what was the best represented show on the Tonys and developed interest and will now have to travel to either New York or Las Vegas to see it. According to Playbill, these will be the only two productions in the United States...at least for the next few years. Part of me feels it's a very risky move to be a small show, win the Tony for Best Musical, lose your Tony-winning momentum and let people forget about you and THEN tour the country. But...they're making a killing off the Vegas deal, so good for them, I guess. I wonder how the authors feel about it, since the producers apparently didn't ask for their input?

On the other hand, it IS an edgy show that I'm not sure that midwestern audience members would appreciate. And I'm not sure how the show would read in a 2,500-seat theatre, as most of the touring venues are that big. Perhaps they ARE doing the best thing for their show by limiting it to two productions...though I feel they would do well by themselves to a least do a tour of the major cities--Chicago, L.A., Houston, etc.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:15:45 AM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2004, 09:09:41 AM »

I'm surprised there won't be at least an LA version of the show. I think it's a mistake, but perhaps they don't want to deal with people in the hinterlands who saw puppets and assumed it was a G-rated charm show. No offense to anyone who doesn't live in either NYC or LA, but we've had people storm out of GREASE around here.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2004, 09:14:18 AM »

I love rollercoasters!

My favorite amusement park would probably have to be Disneyland cause it holds a very special meaning to me.

I usually go to the amusement park here (La Ronde) every year.  There is a new ride (something splashy) which looks really fun.  I definitely need to find out when the fireworks festival is, so I can go.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2004, 09:14:47 AM »

TOD - Favorite Bio-Pic:

Fat Man and Little Boy with Paul Newman playing Gen. Leslie R. Groves

(I'm stretching bio-pic a bit, it is the biography of the first nuclear bomb.)

I have always been fascinated by The Manhattan Project, and the management techniques Groves used to do the seemingly impossible.

Q. Which Fuel to develop  - Uranium or Plutonium?
A. Both

Q. Which method of Uranium development, Magnetic separation or Gaseous Diffusion?
A. Both (Mag separation at Berkeley, Gaseous Diffusion at Oak Ridge) - Plutonium was produced in Hanford Washington

Q. We can't get enough copper for the magnets needed to do separation, and the only other electrical conducting metals are gold and silver, and gold is too soft to fabricate and there isn't enough silver out side of the Treasury Depts. stash.
A. We get FDR to authorize the transfer of 100s of tons of silver from Treasury to the Project.

Q. Which bomb type - Implosion or Gun Projection?
A.  Both  Implosion (Uranium)  - Fat Boy -Nagasaki, Gun-Projection (Plutonium) - Little Boy - Hiroshima

A third device, like Fat Boy, was used for the Trinity test. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki the US had no more nuclear devices left!!!

As ghastly as the A Bomb might seem, it is no deadlier than other forms of warfare, just more efficient.  The Fire Bombing of Germany and Japan caused far more casualties than did the A Bombs, and they all pale in comparison to the carnage reaped by gun toting Nazis in Warsaw.

If we only had the national will to set up projects like The Manhattan Project, and men like "I don't consider failure an option" Groves to lead them, perhaps we could find a cure for AIDS and Cancer, and move a long way to eliminating world hunger (A Miss America reference).

der Brucer (who opted to spare you the visuals

Fat Man and Little Boy with Paul Newman playing Gen. Leslie R. Groves

(I'm stretching bio-pic a bit, it is the biography of the first nuclear bomb.)

I have always been fascinated by The Manhattan Project, and the management techniques Groves used to do the seemingly impossible.

Q. Which Fuel to develop  - Uranium or Plutonium?
A. Both

Q. Which method of Uranium development, Magnetic separation or Gaseous Diffusion?
A. Both (Mag separation at Berkeley, Gaseous Diffusion at Oak Ridge) - Plutonium was produced in Hanford Washington

Q. We can't get enough copper for the magnets needed to do separation, and the only other electrical conducting metals are gold and silver, and gold is too soft to fabricate and there isn't enough silver out side of the Treasury Depts. stash.
A. We get FDR to authorize the transfer of 100s of tons of silver from Treasury to the Project.

Q. Which bomb type - Implosion or Gun Projection?
A.  Both  Implosion (Uranium)  - Fat Boy -Nagasaki, Gun-Projection (Plutonium) - Little Boy - Hiroshima

A third device, like Fat Boy, was used for the Trinity test. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki the US had no more nuclear devices left!!!

As ghastly as the A Bomb might seem, it is no deadlier than other forms of warfare, just more efficient.  The Fire Bombing of Germany and Japan caused far more casualties than did the A Bombs, and they all pale in comparison to the carnage reaped by gun toting Nazis in Warsaw.

If we only had the national will to set up projects like The Manhattan Project, and men like "I don't consider failure an option" Groves to lead them, perhaps we could find a cure for AIDS and Cancer, and move a long way to eliminating world hunger (A Miss America reference).

der Brucer (who opted to spare you the visuals
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2004, 09:16:09 AM »

Wow, thanks for the news about AVENUE Q, I had not heard.

There are building a $40M theatre just for the show, which will open Sept 2005.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/read/2004/jun/08/516984951.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/10/theater/10VEGA.html

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2004, 09:17:13 AM »

I forgot to list favorite bio-pics...top faves are THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, ISN’T SHE GREAT (Jacqueline Suzanne), and BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST (Edna Gladney).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2004, 09:26:10 AM »

I'm having to hurry-curry off to the dentist.

Lost a crown (a crown! a crown! my horse for a crown!).  Actually, it wasn't lost, but I must be re-coronated.

Have decided to take tomorrow off and do "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" as a treat!  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2004, 09:32:24 AM »

DR der(formermotorcycledrag) Brucer:  It was not poor DR Robin who made that comment about "chairman of the board" -- twas I.

I hope it was clear why I did  not google for more info....the subject of Sinatra bores me to tears.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2004, 09:38:48 AM »

There have been a lot of good choices for the bio-pics, so far.  I love Gypsy and Funny Girl, I adore With A Song in My Heart, but, my all-time favorite has to be Three Little Words with Fred Astaire and Red Skelton (and featuring a cameo appearance by the real Harry Ruby, himself, as one of the ball players).  I only have to think about the movie and suddenly the song Nevertheless is running through my mind for the next week.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2004, 09:58:39 AM »

Re:  TOD.  I agree with JR about Frances, for probably the same reasons:  it's a load of crap from a factual standpoint, but at least it helped start my long journey toward the truth about the real Frances Farmer.

Re:  Amusement Parks.  I wasn't able to check in yesterday and probably should have.  We are actually leaving Sunday for a week in Orlando, so I would love recommendations from all you in the know people about the four Disney parks (we have Park Hopper tickets).  Please feel free to email me at:

jmkauffman@aol.com

with your various and sundried recommendations.  I'm particularly interested in where the best place to park is.  Are all the parks connected, a la Disneyland and California Adventure?

Our timeshare is only about 2 miles away (I think--that's what Mapquest says), so we will probably hit the parks in the early morning, go back to our room to escape the midday heat, then return each day until the parks close.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:59:09 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »

Another great biopic:  Love Me Or Leave Me, inexplicably Percy Faith's only Oscar nomination for scoring.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2004, 10:12:08 AM »

Last night, George asked:

Jay, do you know who wrote the score?  Here in Olympia, we have the (appropriately named) Olympia Chamber Orchestra and a former conductor was Tim Brock.  He composed new scores to several silent movies, including "Sunrise."  There was a showing of the film with the orchestra, conducted by Tim Brock, playing his score live with the movie.  It was wonderful.  I think that there was DVD released with his score.

The original 1927 score, compiled by Hugo Riesenfeld and reconstructed and adapted by Robert Israel, was played.  Apparently no sheet music exists for the score to Sunrise, so Mr. Israel transcribed the music from the recording of the score that was made by Fox Studios in 1927.  

This score was "compiled" in that Mr. Riesenfeld adapted previously written music.  For example, the film opens to Liszt's "Les Preludes."  A particularly tender moment in the film is accompanied by Wagner's "Siegfried Idyll."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 11:39:06 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2004, 10:19:30 AM »

One of my favorite bio-pics...is INTERRUPTED MELODY about Metropolitan star Marjorie Lawrence.  Also, Susan Hayward chained to a roving piano as Jane Froman in WITH A SONG IN MY HEART.

Ditto.  

(Such good taste my Dear Brother has.)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »

FUNNY GIRL was a wonderfully entertaining film but a far from accurate biography.  Nicky Arnstein was Fanny's 2nd husband, not her first and that's only the beginning.

Does anyone know if the team of Jones and Schmidt have broken up?  Jones is doing lyrics for the musical HAROLD AND MAUDE that's opening at Papermill in January (with Estelle Parsons) with a new composer, Joseph Thalken.  Is this a temporary split or have we seen the last of THE FANTASTICKS tam?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2004, 10:28:57 AM »

I forgot to list favorite bio-pics...top faves are THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA, ISN’T SHE GREAT (Jacqueline Suzanne), and BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST (Edna Gladney).

Wow.  You must be the only person, Dear Reader MBarnum, beside me who saw Isn't She Great.  The Divine One, as in Bette Midler, even joked in her recent concert/show about how poorly that movie did.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2004, 10:41:09 AM »

Does anyone know if the team of Jones and Schmidt have broken up?  Jones is doing lyrics for the musical HAROLD AND MAUDE that's opening at Papermill in January (with Estelle Parsons) with a new composer, Joseph Thalken.  Is this a temporary split or have we seen the last of THE FANTASTICKS tam?

We have a mini-Jones and Schmidt festival happening in L.A. right now.  The 99-seat Equity waiver Knightsbridge Theatre is doing The Fantasticks and the 600-seat Pasadena Playhouse is doing 110 in the Shade.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:47:27 AM by Jay »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2004, 10:42:46 AM »

I saw it....such a waste of material and performers.

THE MOST POPULAR RIDE IN AMERICA TODAY:

Wear your shorts and t-shirt,  and sneakers.  No need to wear socks.  Guys wear a baseball cap, ladies put your sunglasses on top of your head and bring the kiddies in their didies....yes it's the Ronald Reagan viewing at the Rotunda.  See ya there!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2004, 10:44:21 AM »

Wow.  You must be the only person, Dear Reader MBarnum, beside me who saw Isn't She Great.  The Divine One, as in Bette Midler, even joked in her recent concert/show about how poorly that movie did.

I think you are right DR Jay! I myself just loved the movie, but I guess the subject matter just didn't appeal to today's audience...but it had such beautiful songs in it and the costumes and settings were so well done and authentic, I thought. I just thought it was a fun, sweet movie.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »

Most people do not know this about me, but I love roller coasters, especially the old-fashioned wooden kind.

My favorite is the one in the amusement park on the beach in Santa Cruz, California.  It's a great ride and as you are pulled up toward the first drop, you get a tremendous view of the beach and the ocean.  The amusement park there is smaller than the Disney and Universal and 6 Flags parks and has none of the commercialism that one finds at those other venues.  

In close second place is the Cyclone in Coney Island, Brooklyn, U.S.A.  The added bonus there is that the original Nathan's hot dog stand is close by.  (It is recommended that one ride the Cyclone first, and eat at Nathan's second, rather than vice versa.)

Jay

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2004, 10:56:35 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about a theatrical event called Alma--Widow of the 4 Arts?  

The flyer for it says "Embark on an exciting theatrical journey which is enacted as a unique piece of synchronous theatre in all the rooms and floors of [the venue.]"

The subject is Alma Mahler-Werfel and her loves and relationships with Gustav Mahler, Walter Gropius and Franz Werfel.

A dinner party occurs during the interval, attended by, in addition to the aforementioned, amongst others, Sigmund Freud, Gustav Klimt, Arnold Schonberg, Errol Flynn, Thomas Mann.

The flyer goes on to mention that this "play" has run successfully in Vienna, Venice and Lisbon.

Anybody know anything about this?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2004, 10:58:26 AM »

I am watching HAWAIIAN EYE courtesy MBARNUM.....plus there was an extra surprise DVD in the package which I will watch after the show tonight.....thanks!!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2004, 11:01:58 AM »

My favorite is the one in the amusement park on the beach in Santa Cruz, California.  

I forgot about that one!  It was great fun, and quite scenic.  I did it by myself. (DP - that's Dear Partner - hates coasters.)  In fact, it was on a trip down the coast to see you and our DM (that's Dear Mother.)

Let's not forget THE SOUND OF MUSIC is supposedly a bio-pic.  Also ....gosh, it just went out of my head......

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »

JR - I thought I was alone in the world in noticing how unseemly the attire was. Regardless of what I think of Reagan, one really should show some respect for the occasion. How times have changed! Can you imagine anyone looking that way to file past President Kennedy's coffin?

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2004, 11:07:31 AM »

I am watching HAWAIIAN EYE courtesy MBARNUM.....plus there was an extra surprise DVD in the package which I will watch after the show tonight.....thanks!!!!!

Ha! Ha! The extra surprise is a soundtrack to listen to JRand53! So just pop that baby into the nearest CD player!!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2004, 11:07:42 AM »

I saw it....such a waste of material and performers.

THE MOST POPULAR RIDE IN AMERICA TODAY:

Wear your shorts and t-shirt,  and sneakers.  No need to wear socks.  Guys wear a baseball cap, ladies put your sunglasses on top of your head and bring the kiddies in their didies....yes it's the Ronald Reagan viewing at the Rotunda.  See ya there!!!!

Can I just say that the networks should stop juxtaposing footage of people paying respect to JFK with those paying respect to RR.  If nothing else, it just goes to show how slovenly Americans have become.  Apparently, gentlemen would not have walked that sad route in less than a shirt and tie, and perhaps a jacket, and ladies would not have thought to leave the house without a dress and hat for an occasion of such import.  But the footage of yesterday's mourners in shorts and sandals, as if saying farewell to the late President -- no matter what your opinion of him -- was just another DC tourist attraction.  It's just disrespectful.  And I am no great fan of his, nor his widow's.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2004, 11:08:22 AM »

JR - I thought I was alone in the world in noticing how unseemly the attire was. Regardless of what I think of Reagan, one really should show some respect for the occasion. How times have changed! Can you imagine anyone looking that way to file past President Kennedy's coffin?

Guess we were posting at the same time, DR Panni.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up