Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HURRIED AND CURRIED NOTES  (Read 22203 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE HURRIED AND CURRIED NOTES
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2004, 11:16:25 AM »

Yes DRPANNI & STUART - that's the way it is today.  It is sad how such a change can happen in one generation.   I had to stop watching C-Span...and DRSTUART is right...it's just another tourist attraction.

OH a CD!  Thanks MB!  I certainly would have been surprised if I was expecting a picture on my screen!  Thunderbirds are GO!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2004, 11:23:40 AM »

There is NO - I repeat NO - such thing as Dress Jeans!!!  If I hear one more person in Indiana talk about wearing his dress jeans to a funeral, wedding, or graduation...I SHALL SCREAM (a Lionel Bart reference)!  :o

If you have Real Player - here a link to what I am talking about....I am appalled (as Agnes Moorehead once said)!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/nation/061004-6v.htm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »

Page Three Salute!   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2004, 11:27:13 AM »

Amusement parks. Haven't been to that many. I guess I'd choose Disneyland on a rainy day when it's not crowded. Can't stand the crowds. Favorite ride - don't laugh at me - the Peter Pan Ride - it's magical.
But of COURSE it's magical!  And one of the best rides conceived.

I think they've taken down the Alice in Wonderland ride.  A pity, I always liked it, particularly the ride down the leaves at the end.  Don't know what they've replaced it with.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2004, 11:27:51 AM »

I loved "Iris" with Kate Winslett and Dame Judi Dench.  "Life with Judy Garland: Me & My Shadows" was wonderful, also.  And also with Judy Davis, "Serving in Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story."  A couple of weeks ago, I went with my niece to the Seattle Storm women's basketball game and Gretta (sp?) herself was at the game and did a little contest to win money for an AIDS charity in the area.  She won!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 11:29:15 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2004, 11:29:13 AM »

Time for THE HUNGARIAN OF THE DAY!
[DRUM ROLL]
MICHAEL CURTIZ - (b. Manó Kertész Kaminer, 12/24,1898 Budapest, d. 4/10/1962, Hollywood)
Began acting in and then directing in Hungary in 1912. He shot 38 productions there and was one of the most productive artists at the beginning of the era of the silent film.
After WWI he continued his filmmaking career in Austria and Germany and other countries in Europe. Moving to the US in 1926, he started making films for Warner Bros. and became thoroughly entrenched in the studio system. His films during the 30's and 40's encompassed nearly every genre imaginable and many are considered to be classics. Credits include: 1935's Captain Blood, 1936's The Charge of the Light Brigade, 1938's Angels With Dirty Faces, 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood,  1938's Four Daughters, 1940's The Sea Hawk, 1942's Yankee Doodle Dandy AND Casablanca, 1943's This Is the Army, 1945'S Mildred Pierce, 1946's Night and Day and 1954's White Christmas. He even directed one of Elvis Presley's best films, King Creole in 1958. He died of cancer in 1962.
Trivia: Member of the Hungarian fencing team at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2004, 11:30:38 AM »

And of course, GYPSY!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2004, 11:34:27 AM »

Very favourite bio pic:  LUST FOR LIFE

Other favourite bio pics:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA; THE JOLSON STORY & JOLSON SINGS AGAIN: SERGEANT YORK; WILDE (with Stephen Fry); IRIS; PRICK UP YOUR EARS (about Joe Orton); a wonderful Fredric March movie called ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN about a midwest preacher named William Spence, INHERIT THE WIND; THREE LITTLE WORDS about Kalmar & Ruby...I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting...

Though they're not always the best films, I find them interesting history...ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS; CROMWELL; KHARTOUM, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS...

Probably more considered historical than biographical, but it is a true story:  ZULU and its follow-up, ZULU DAWN.

I'm not a big aficianado of Amusement Parks.  Hate Roller Coasters and fast-moving rides in high places.  When I worked for Universal and Disney at different times,I could always get free passes to take the family or visiting friends to the Universal Studios Tour and Disneyland...And they're as good as it gets.  I always enjoyed Pirates of the Carribean.  About my speed.  And the Country Bear Jamboree with Big Al singing Blood on the Saddle. Now gone, I believe.  Everything's all gotten a little slicker and bigger and emptier...just like the movies.

Jason, Kings Island wasn't in Cincy until after I had pretty much left.  I remember Coney Island fondly...though I expect it was pretty tame compared to most things today.  It remember THE LOST RIVER which was a Tunnel of Love ride, with a high incline at the end and then swooped down and you got splashed with water.  About as adventurous as I ever got.  I also still have a bunch of movie star cards I bought for a penny apiece in some slot machine in their arcade.  The most memorable thing about Coney to me was: living on the Kentucky side, we used to park on the river bank and take a water ferry across to the park on the other side.

Panni, I remember Marty Short's hilarious Brock Linehan.  Was Brian Linehan really like that?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2004, 11:36:03 AM »

And speaking of biography, did anyone see Bette Midler on A&E last night?  Interesting clips and Bette looked great in her recent interview, but I really didn't learn anything new.  I feel the same about Bette as I do about Babs... she still has the talent but has lost the knack of picking the best material.  I don't mind "Wind Beneath My Wings" or "From A Distance", but not whole CDs of their type.  I long for the variety that was on her first albums.
You must have missed Bathhouse Baby, released in 1998.  She definately sang the gamut on that one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »

I wonder if MRBK is ready for his closeup?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2004, 11:36:12 AM »

If the mere mention of the title of that Irving Berlin ditty does it to you, stay MILES away from THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS which does the song in an unending series of variations using almost every conceivable accent except Swahili

Actually, DRMattH, the movie "There's No Business Like Show Business" offers the variations on the song "Alexander's Ragtime Band," not the title song.  First up are Merman and Daily with a German kitsch variation, then comes Donald O'Connor with a Scots-in-kilts-with-pipes-blaring variation, followed by Mitzi Gaynor's French take on it; Johnny Ray does a piano/torch variation and it ends with chorus and a bandleader and band marching on stage as the all-star cast belts out the final verse.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 11:43:55 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2004, 11:42:58 AM »

Not ONE vote for the Jolson biopics - THE JOLSON STORY and JOLSON SINGS AGAIN?? Dear Larry Parks and Evelyn Keyes (who was taught some "interesting" things by another famous Hungarian, Charles Vidor), Barbara Hale, ETC..
These are swell films, kids!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2004, 11:44:16 AM »

Dollywood's another fun amusement park. I never actually got to see La Parton at the park at any time, but you could just feel her...um...presence. There's a great environmental movie cinema there that shows a film about Dolly's rise to stardom. It's fun...when they talked about her growing up in the Tennessee mountains, flowers actually bloomed in the greenery and butterfly puppets flittered around the theater. It was really cool.

And then there's the roller coaster that's shaped like Dolly...two big humps and that's about it. Of course, I'm kidding...or am I?
Can't say about Dollywood itself, but what has happened to the countryside around Dollywood is heinous!  Yes, we are returning to that grand HHW word, because it is appropriate.  The blight on the countryside around Dollywood is HEINOUS!

Other country stars have plowed down acres of trees to build themselves giant palaces for their own stages.  The highway is lined with motels and hotels, each a worse blight on the environment than the last.  Cheap entertainment venues spoil the vistas, delighting in their ugliness.

Well, that last may be a stretch, but the impact because of traffic and sewage and everything else is deplorable.

Bleh, I say, and say again, bleh.

Panni

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2004, 11:44:33 AM »

Oh - I take back my rant (and my mink) - I just saw FS Pogue's post.
I must now stop posting for a couple of hours or I just won't get my work done.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »

Panni, I remember Marty Short's hilarious Brock Linehan.  Was Brian Linehan really like that?

In a word - Yes.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2004, 11:52:50 AM »

Michael Curtiz, also remembered for such epic lines as "Bring on the Empty Horses" and "You think I know F@#! nothing, but I know f@#! everything!"

One of my favourite Curtiz stories.  He was known to have a chorus girl or extra service him at lunch time on the set.  Others knew of this.  One lunch hour, Mr. Curtiz was leaning back in his chair as a pert young thing was down on her knees before him, toiling away to accomodate his urges.  He happen to glance up into the grid of the empty sound stage and found it not so empty.  Several of the cast and crew had gathered there to watch the spectacle.  Mr. Curtiz immediately started to thrust the girl away from him, going: "No! No! Bad girl!  Bad girl!"

But my favourite Curtiz is told by William Wellman.  After going to a preview of PUBLIC ENEMY (which was a smash) with Wellman, Daryl Zanuck, and Mike Curtiz, Jack Warner wanted Wellman to cut the last scene where Cagney is left on his mother's door step, dead and all trussed up. "It'll make everybody sick."  Wellman said:  "And Zanuck fought for it and I fought for it...And my fellow director [Curtiz] was smoking a cigar.  And Warner turned and said, 'Mike, don't you agree with me?'  Mike said, Yes.  Zanuck hauled off and knocked the cigar right down his throat.  I'm not kidding.  That's what made pictures in those days.  They don't do that anymore. And, by God, it scared Warner and we had no argument about it, it stayed n the picture.  He hauled off and let him have it."

Curtiz also directed a great bio-pic, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.

Panni

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2004, 12:00:40 PM »

She's back!
Great Curtiz stories, FS Pogue.

I came back because I'm feeling a little guilty in simply saying that Yes, Linehan WAS Brock Linehan. So here's a bit from one of today's obits which is more respectful and somewhat closer to the truth:

"...Stars were surprised, flattered or even horrified, for example, by Linehan's questions about obscure aspects of their careers.

"I'm starting to sweat with the amount of info he's got on me," actor Dustin Hoffman once said in an interview.

Though he asked probing questions, Linehan was rarely adversarial, believing that the secret to good interviewing was in preparation and the ability to listen.

Broadcaster and producer Jane Hawtin had worked closely with the late interviewer, and credited his success to a mix of talent and hard work conducting meticulous research.
"I think that when you had that Brian Linehan moment – where the guest would say 'How did you know that?' – I think that's what he worked very hard to achieve," Hawtin said Friday.

...With his growing reputation, Linehan was satirized by comedian and fellow Hamilton son Martin Short on the comedy series SCTV. Short's "Brock Linehan" character was a smug interviewer with inaccurate research and meandering questions.

Flattered by the send-up, the real Linehan held no grudge against Short, saying in 1997: "Marty didn't mock me. Marty satirized me."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2004, 12:02:37 PM »

While sitting in the dentist's chair, listening to the piped-in radio music, Carole King's "So Far Away" began playing.

"Tapestry" and all its songs haunt me -- carrying me instantly back to the first time I heard the songs, and many other occasions in which they were present.  There is sadness, and beauty, in this rarest of great albums.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2004, 12:05:36 PM »

In close second place is the Cyclone in Coney Island, Brooklyn, U.S.A.  The added bonus there is that the original Nathan's hot dog stand is close by.  (It is recommended that one ride the Cyclone first, and eat at Nathan's second, rather than vice versa.)
I assume because the hot dogs are known for their stomach-calming qualities.

8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2004, 12:08:59 PM »

Curtiz of course also directed MILDRED PIERCE and spent some time ranting and tearing the shoulder pads out of Joan Crawford's dresses, saying she would not wear a "movie star" wardrobe in that picture.  Crawford watched him calmly and then replied:  "I bought those dresses at Sears Roebuck."

I haven't seen the JOLSEN/SINGS AGAIN movies in years, didn't buy the DVD's....maybe I should give them another look.  

Speaking of Hungarian Charles Vidor...I think he directed a biopic I loved...Dirk Bogarde as Franz Lizst in SONG WITHOUT END!  

And would THE LION IN WINTER be classifed as bio - or historical?

Susan Hayward was terrific as Jane Frohman in WITH A SONG IN MY HEART and Eleanor Parker as Marjorie Lawrence in INTERRUPTED MELODY...both mentioned by other DR's.  Hayward was also heart-breaking as Lillian Roth in I'LL CRY TOMORROW.  

And Dorothy Malone as Diana Barrymore and Errol Flynn as father John in TOO MUCH, TOO SOON.  

And James Cagney as Lon Chaney Sr in MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES.

Whew!  Once you start, they all start flooding back.  

Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn in COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER with Beverly D'Angelo as Patsy Cline - and of course Jessica Lange as Patsy proper in SWEET DREAMS.

Oh....and George Hamilton as Hank Williams in YOUR CHEATIN' HEART.  And I also am looking forward to IT'S DE-LOVELY and BEYOND THE SEA!  My fingers are crossed!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2004, 12:10:39 PM »

I agree RLP - TAPESTRY stands alone among albums....  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2004, 12:12:26 PM »

Time for THE HUNGARIAN OF THE DAY!
[DRUM ROLL]
MICHAEL CURTIZ - (b. Manó Kertész Kaminer, 12/24,1898 Budapest, d. 4/10/1962, Hollywood)
One of der Brucer's favorite directors!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2004, 12:14:47 PM »

And of course, GYPSY!
No, Gypsy was directed by Mervin LeRoy, not Michael Curtiz.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2004, 12:16:28 PM »

I thought GYPSY was directed by Rosalind Russell....she says so in her book.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2004, 12:20:12 PM »

And the Country Bear Jamboree with Big Al singing Blood on the Saddle. Now gone, I believe.  Everything's all gotten a little slicker and bigger and emptier...just like the movies.
Yes, the Country Bear Jamboree was displaced by a Winnie the Pooh ride, or something.

Of course, the Country Bear Jamboree displaced the Indian Village, back in it's day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2004, 12:22:21 PM »

Well I would be remiss if I didn't mention a TV bio movie that I looked forward to....and then didn't like at all.  You know, if they say it in the movie....that's the way it happened for everyone who wasn't there, or doesn't care enough to check the facts (see, FRANCES)....but - A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES: THE ANNETTE FUNICELLO STORY was a mishmosh.

Annette herself narrates the story - I think the voiceover was taken from the audio version of her book.  She plays herself at her daughter Gina's wedding.

Linda Lavin is good as her mother Virginia...and Andrea Nemeth is okay as Annette, the younger...but Eva LaRue (Callahan) as the teen and older Annette is so vapid....   If Annette had had the charm and charisma LaRue displays she would never have enjoyed the success she did.  LaRue is nothing...no personality...nothing.

And for the last scene the real people suddenly step into their characters so we don't see LaRue or Lavin or the others, but the real Funicello family - even ex-husband Jack Gilardi (Gina's father) is on hand along with second husband Glen Holt.  

It is a disservice to Annette and her career and her fans who have supported her for years, and to whom she has always been grateful.  Sad...sad....sad....   :'(

Eva is NO Annette!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2004, 12:38:53 PM »

There is NO - I repeat NO - such thing as Dress Jeans!!!  If I hear one more person in Indiana talk about wearing his dress jeans to a funeral, wedding, or graduation...I SHALL SCREAM (a Lionel Bart reference)!  :o

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/nation/061004-6v.htm

LOL.  I wear jeans almost everywhere.  I can dress jeans up to make them acceptable for most occasions, but I assure you, never for a wedding or funeral, nor do I believe a graduation.  I can understand wearing them for a three hour graduation when you are sitting, on bleachers, outside and it’s a cold damp windy day.

Jason

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:23 PM »

"Call Me Anna" was a fun, if not completely accurate, biopic. Anything Patty Duke suits me fine. I know she wrote the book and everything, but for some reason--call me crazy (or even Anna)--I have this nagging feeling that it was maybe JUST a little bit tweaked. But, what do I know?

Pogue: In what part of Kentucky were you raised? I'm assuming the Northern KY/Cincinnati area...? And when did you leave said place? The only Coney Island I'm familiar with is the one in Brooklyn. And yes, whoever said that Nathan's hot dogs are the best reason to go there was completely correct. Oh, and the $5 side show. "Come look at the freaks...before they're antiques..."

S. Woody White: "Bathhouse Betty" is a great album, but it still doesn't quite compare to her earlier stuff. "The Rose" (the soundtrack, not the song) makes my throat hurt just listening to it, but DAMN! she had some soul. I prefer the old 40's-style numbers she's famous for..."Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," "Stuff Like That There" and "Miss Otis Regrets."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2004, 12:45:58 PM »

DerBrucer, to be fair to Keith, he was the one who told me to look it up before I posted his opinion. :)

DearReaderLaura, sometimes your walks look very dangerous and you are so brave to photograph them for us.

JRand thank you, I was trying to remember the name of I'LL CRY TOMORROW.

Bruce did you have fun today?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2004, 12:51:02 PM »

Sandra posted:TRUTH - The teacher was flat ass wrong!

I knew it!! Thank you for clearing this up, der Brucer. If only I had known you when I was in fourth grade.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up