Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROOTS OF BK  (Read 8812 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE ROOTS OF BK
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2012, 06:24:51 PM »

Page Five!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

And there is a new musical coming to Broadway based on Daphne du Maurier's REBECCA.  Ahh, maybe not.
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »

Time for me to say goodnight!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

One word of caution for Kindle owners.  Last week, I was looking fo another murder mystery.  I was in the Kindle Store in Amazon and I pulled up a book by M.C. Beaton that I was thinking at buying.  Before I hit the BUY button, I took a look at the other titles that others had purchased when purchasing this title.  I read up on the other titles, but decided to buy just the first one I had been about to buy.  I got back to that title, hit buy, and Amazon send my e-mail account a receipt.  The next night, I went to start the new book, but it wasn't there.  I turned the Wireless back on and  lefft on over night, but still no book.  Well, apparently when I decided to look at those other titles, Amazon took me out of the Kindle Store and put me in the regular book store.  And since the paperback version was the same price as the Kindle, I never noticed the dfference.  I tried to cancel my order but was told that it was too late, even after I complained about the mistake.  It was only $7.00, but it annoyed me that Amazon didn't take me back to the Kindle Store I had been shopping before.  So, now I have a paperback version that I don't want.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:52:56 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »

Time for me to say goodnight!

Good night, Kevin!  You working people sure go to bed early.  LOL!   ;D
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »

Okay, I was kidding.  It is also my time to clean up and get ready for bed.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

DR Jose, I used to love Fresh Step Cat litter, until they did the new formula.  I have to say that the perfume scent is really over powering.  The cats smell like it the house smells like it.  Frankly, it would cover anything.  It makes me want to gag

Were you responding to something that Jose had posted?
yes, I think it was DR Jose who posted yesterday about a law suit involving Fresh Step

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »

...And then I hightailed it on out of here back to Stella's to have lunch with Liz and Gary. Liz and Gary are former professors at VCU - they retired last year. Liz is a costume designer and Gary is a director, and they're both like second parents to me. It was great catching up with them. And Liz was soooo happy to find that Stella was back in the kitchen making her Brunswick Stew. If things were going crazy in the costume shop at school, Liz would walk the block and a half to Stella's original location, order a bowl of soup, and start to feel human again.

*And they were not out of the galaktabouriko today! HUZZAH!
Say whatever you want. Just don't horde it all the way Dan the Man did with the poundcake.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »

I have been watching some of the YouTube clips from Mandy and Patti Together (or whatever it is called).  Surpisingly, it is Mandy who I am finding irritating, rather than Patti.  There are also some clips included under the Patti and Mandy umbrella that are not from their show together.  One is my all-time favorite clip from the TV series LIFE GOES ON, where Patti sings "The Wind Beneath My Wings" to Chris Burke, who played her son.
I remember that scene very well from the show. I loved it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Well, I'm caught up.

Saw the doctor, who looked at the CAT scan and was not happy with what he saw. He wants to cut out the unknown mass. There's a great likelihood it is cancerous, he said. But it's all small and caught early and will likely be removed without any problem. I will be out of work for two weeks, which is not great because, as a contractor, I don't get paid when I don't work.

― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »

Oh, no, John G.! But I'm glad it can be taken care of when it is early.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »

DR John G, sorry the medical report wasn't better, but we'll be praying for a good outcome.  Remember, HHW is a great place to convalesce!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »

Thank you, Ginny and Laura and all. Great family to have.

And with that: Night, all
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »

John, sorry to hear about this, better days are ahead.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

DR Vixmom--you have a PM!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

DR John G, Oy!  But yes, thank gawd it's been found early and it can be taken care of!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »

DR Vixmom--you have a PM!

thank you and thank you!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »

Oh Lord, I do not ever want another evening like I've just had.  Towards the end of our rehearsals, which went very well, I came back to the computer to check on e-mails.  On my computer screen was a message: You must shut down your computer now.  Hold the button down, then press the button again to restart."  It was written in several languages.  That was frightening, but I did as asked.  Then it got really frightening.  I powered it off, waited a few seconds, then pushed the button to start it up again.  And the computer began to emit three beeps over and over again and would not start.  I tried several times and kept getting the beeping.  I unplugged the computer, plugged it back in and the same thing.  Visions of losing everything began dancing in my head, even though I knew it would all be backed up on the Time Machine.   Of course, this happened at exactly 6:01 so the Apple Care people were gone.  I called the Apple Store immediately and got some guy on the phone.  I explained the problem - he didn't seem to care and said I'd have to make an appointment at the Genius Bar.  I told him to do so.

He told me there were none until tomorrow.  I told him this was an emergency and to get me a supervisor.  I got some woman who also didn't seem to care.  I said the computer was barely two weeks old and I was not having this.  She finally put a tech on who knew something.  I explained what had happened.  He asked if I'd installed extra memory, and I said yes, they'd installed extra memory.  He said he suspected that chip had jostled loose and was the culprit.  I told him it was really an emergency and that I had documents I had to work on.  He told me to come in and that they'd put me in the emergency line but that it might be a two-hour wait.

I went to the store, lugged that heavy machine up there and a nice person had me put it down, got me a stool, and let the guy know I was there.  The nice person came back and said my guy was busy with someone but would get to me as soon as he could.  Then the fellow who'd sold me the computer saw me - I told him what had happened and he said he'd talk to the guy who was going to help me.  Whatever he did worked, and ten minutes later my guy came out and took the computer in the back.  Ten minutes later he waved me to the counter and said it was exactly what he thought and that everything was fine.  He'd re-seated the chip, and then he fired up the computer and all my documents and stuff came right up.  He then shut it back down but it kept asking him if we wanted to save things that had already been saved.  To be on the safe side I had him click "save."

I lugged the thing back to my car and came home, hooked it back up, and powered it on.  None of the documents opened as they automatically should so I launched Word and then suddenly everything appeared but there were double copies of things with the wrong file names, and I suspect that whatever it was asking us to save did that.  I closed the ones that had the wrong file names and checked out the correct ones, which seemed to be fine save for one tiny little formatting thing that may have been wrong in the first place.  I fixed that.  Talk about something destroying one's concentration and focus.  I tried writing and did write a page, but I think I need to take a break for an hour and then think about doing another couple of pages after I've calmed down and my head is back where it should be.

vixmom

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »

JOhn G

VIBES for a quick and painless recovery from your procedure -  I am glad it is early stage

Youar einmy prayers!

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »

TCB  I think January is perfect time to retire weatherwise - rather to than having to defrost frozen car  in the dark of the morning ,you can roll over and snuggle under the comforter

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »

well it was a long day witha longer day ahead of me tomorroe

night all!

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »

BK was it me what guessed in my email?

FJL

« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

John G - Sending health vibes to you from all of us.

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »

HEALTH VIBES TO JOHN G ~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »

Whew! BK, what a scary thing to go through.  Glad it had a happy ending. I'm in the middle of a big appeal brief at work.  I've had bad headaches and felt awful all week. I think some of it was stress.  That's why I continued my trial for next week and decided to take a deep breath and take my time with the brief.  It has to be in the mail on Monday morning.  I have a lot of the nit picky crap done that always confuses me, statements of the case, statements of the facts finding every single fact in the transcript of the trial etc.  So tomorrow it should flow a lot better.  I was going to work tonight, but decided there is no sense in killing myself and left the whole thing at the office. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

I watched Grey's Anatomy and practiced my flute and played a little piano.   Whoosh!  It's really out of tune again, so I'll call the tuner tomorrow and see if she can come back.  I didn't have it tuned that long ago, but it hadn't been tuned in years, so I expected it would need it again fairly quickly.

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »

TCB : Our local community college's life long learning program is going to have "The Last Dinner on the Titanic"  at the Renaissance Mansion in Omaha on April 12. They are serving the same meal that was served to the first class passengers on the night the ship sank 100 years ago.  It's a Thursday, but I'm thinking about doing it.  It's a couple days early,for the actual centennial of the sinking, but would be a fun way to commemorate it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »

Is it morbid to commemorate the sinking of a ship in a fun way?   

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »

It was 68 degrees here today.  People are very worried about the tulips. they need the frozen ground to ....well whatever it is they do in the frozen ground...go dormant, that's it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up