Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KING RICHARD AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE SQUARE TABLE  (Read 8976 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KING RICHARD AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE SQUARE TABLE
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were square, and now it is time for you to post until the square cows come home - they're currently listening to some film MOOsic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KING RICHARD AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE SQUARE TABLE
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: BIRR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »

Here are the first two Kritzerland releases of 2012.  I really feel there's no need to announce early here anymore, since all of three to four people are the only ones buying this stuff - so, it's easier to just order directly from the site.

Kritzerland presents its first two new limited edition soundtracks for 2012:

THE MOLLY MAGUIRES
Music Composed and Conducted by Henry Mancini

and

INVASION USA/TORMENTED
Music Composed and Conducted by Albert Glasser

The Molly Maguires was a big-budget drama from Paramount Pictures, with powerhouse stars, Sean Connery, Richard Harris, and Samantha Eggar, a terrific director, Martin Ritt (Hud, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and many others), and the screenwriter of Fail Safe and John Frankenheimer’s The Train, the great Walter Bernstein.  The film takes place in the Pennsylvania coal country in 1876 and is loosely based on the true story of a small band of Irish coal miners/terrorists called The Molly Maguires.

For the film, composer Henry Mancini composed one of his finest scores, filled with lush melodies and expert evocative themes.  Whether depicting an early morning at the mines (the astonishing opening cue), or the terrorist activities, or the blossoming love between Eggar and Harris, Mancini’s score is right up there with his greatest, including such masterpieces as Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Charade, Days of Wine and Roses, Hatari!, Two For The Road, and many others. 

The Molly Maguires was originally issued on LP, and made its CD debut on Bay Cities in the early 1990s.  For this new release, we had access to the original multi-track tapes stored in the Paramount vault.  We are thrilled to present the entire score as recorded by Mancini, newly mixed in superb sound, and which features several cues that were left off the original album.

When the tapes were pulled for The Molly Maguires, we were delighted to find that the tapes for Charles Strouse’s original score were there – after a disastrous preview, it was decided his score would be replaced.  Strouse, most well known for his Broadway musicals, had dabbled in film scoring with Bonnie and Clyde and The Night They Raided Minsky’s.  Strouse’s complete score is included on the CD. The music is very interesting, and it’s fascinating to hear Strouse’s completely opposite approach to the one Mancini would ultimately take.  There is some truly lovely music here.

The Molly Maguires is limited to 1500 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping. 

INVASION USA/TORMENTED

We’re pleased to present a deliriously wonderful double bill of Albert Glasser scores.  Invasion USA was made in 1952, when the Commie scare was in full bloom, the film is a nightmare (literally) vision of WHAT COULD HAPPEN HERE.   The film is indescribable in its weirdness and exists in a whole other movie universe.  It is a completely unique and classic B-movie, featuring a great B-movie cast, including Gerald Mohr, Peggie Castle, and Dan O’Herlihy.   The film also has the distinction of having both TV Lois Lanes in the same movie – Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill.  Even William Schallert makes a brief, uncredited appearance. 

Eight years later would come another wild, weird and wacky movie called Tormented, made by the wonderful Bert I. Gordon.  It was a story of death and jazz and love and a nasty female ghost come back to haunt and torment.  The cast included Richard Carlson, Juli Reding, Lugene Sanders, and the adorable Susan Gordon (Bert’s daughter).   Also making an appearance is Joe Turkel, who did several films for Gordon and who would ultimately give his most memorable performance as bartender Lloyd in the Stanley Kubrick film, The Shining. 

Naturally, the perfect person to score these films was Albert Glasser, and he delivered exactly what was expected of him and which no other composer could have delivered in quite the same way.  For Invasion USA he created a blaring, driving, crazy-quilt of a score, with screaming, dissonant brass.  One simply cannot imagine a more perfect score for the movie.  For Tormented, since the film’s leading man is a jazz pianist, Glasser naturally wrote a jazzy score – but this is not your normal jazz, this is TORMENTED jazz – jagged and crazy and somehow perfectly capturing the visuals of the film.

The two scores were mastered from Mr. Glasser’s personal tapes.  While there are occasional sound issues, our wonderful mastering engineer, James Nelson, has done Herculean work to make both scores sound as good as they’re ever going to.

Invasion USA/Tormented is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

Both CDs will ship the second week of March – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »

good morn to all
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:42 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:19 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:11:44 AM »

BK, if you include all of the albums with your name on it, including the reissues -- even if you did no strenuous work on them, such as you did with "Promises" or "Sugar -- you won't have anyone say, "Why did you leave off 'Henry, Sweet Henry' or 'Prettybelle' when your name's on my copy?"
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:11:58 AM »

It's a Monday.  Most definitely.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:42:08 AM »

CD's ordered.

Hmmmmm.......a very nice TOD.

Of course PICNIC - even though the participants are a bit old to be doing the roles....so in addition to that:

Holden:

Sunset Boulevard
Network
Towering Inferno
Stalag 13

Novak
Boys Night Out
Strangers When We Meet

Russell
The Women
Gypsy
Mourning Becomes Electra
The Velvet Touch
His Girl Friday & just about everything else!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: BIRR!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SPINNING WHEEL

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept quite well, perhaps it's due to the fact that the temperature has dropped low enough that the heavy blankets on my bed are no longer oppressive but quite warm and soothing.

So, we learned this morning first thing that the battle between the record producer and me was in my favor: the conductor never received the sound files, as she had contnually claimed yesterday. Hopefully, that brouhaha is now over and I can return to the liner notes.

That will be my day. At least until 5pm, the time of the next conference call.

TOD:
Holden: Sunset Boulevard
Novak: Bell, Bok and Candle
Russell: Auntie Mame
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21:41 AM »

BK, if you include all of the albums with your name on it, including the reissues -- even if you did no strenuous work on them, such as you did with "Promises" or "Sugar -- you won't have anyone say, "Why did you leave off 'Henry, Sweet Henry' or 'Prettybelle' when your name's on my copy?"

JohnG, I'm still catching up - what day's discussion is this comment to BK an answer for?

John G.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »

JohnG, I'm still catching up - what day's discussion is this comment to BK an answer for?
His notes today.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »

TOD:

Novak:
Liebestraum
The Notorious Landlady
Vertigo
Picnic (for all three)

Holden:
Network
The Wild Bunch
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Sabrina
Born Yesterday

Russell:
The Women
His Girl Friday
My Sister Eileen

― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »

Hmmm. . .the flood of emails to my inbox has changed from

YOU can be a nurse

to

YOU can be a social worker

I am conflicted.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »

I am one of the chaperones taking all the Chinese kids to the coast today.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »

Announcement has been made.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 06:48:27 AM »

Well, one of the points of the book is that I take the producer credit very seriously - but I'll think on it, but it would add, oh, say about another 200 plus titles to the list.

Doug R

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »

TOD:

Fairly obvious choices I suppose:

William Holden:  

Sunset Boulevard
Stalag 17
Bridge on the River Kwai
Network

Kim Novak

Vertigo
Bell Book and Candle
Kiss me Stupid

Rosalind Russell

His Girl Friday
Auntie Mame
Gypsy

JMK

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 06:54:45 AM »

One of the last, if not the last, Paramount films Frances was announced for was a co-starring role with Rosalind Russell in "Take a Letter, Darling."  It's still possible to find stills from the film with the cast list including Frances in the caption.

JMK

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »

Speaking of Frances, there is a carbon page from her Max Factor contract on eBay for a rather hefty $850.  I believe I have the original which I got years ago for maybe $100.

FJL

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 07:11:06 AM »

His notes today.

Yikes!  I'd read yesterday's notes rather than today's.   Guess being sporadically Errant and Truant wreaks havoc on the mind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, it's Monday.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:19 AM »

Someone on All That Chat referred to Fort lauderdale as "Fort La-dee-da" which is clever, but is it accurate as a description or just clever wordplay, I wonder aloud.

Doug R

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »

I've been printing postage, packing and mailing my weekend's eBay sales. If I didn't sell some of my DVDs and CDs on eBay and Amazon I would be knee deep in them!

FJL

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:04 AM »

Something that I worked on a little bit yesterday, about the post office slowing down service but still having enough personnel to come up with ideas like Edith Piaf stamps.  (I know, I know, when people buy collector stamps and keep them rather than using them, it's almost all profit for the Postal Service but just for fun...)

EDITH PIAF "FOREVER STAMP" DANCE - a parody from Fred Landau and Jan Horvath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Z6iz4jPsw

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »

Here are the first two Kritzerland releases of 2012.  I really feel there's no need to announce early here anymore, since all of three to four people are the only ones buying this stuff - so, it's easier to just order directly from the site.

Kritzerland presents its first two new limited edition soundtracks for 2012:

THE MOLLY MAGUIRES
Music Composed and Conducted by Henry Mancini

and

INVASION USA/TORMENTED
Music Composed and Conducted by Albert Glasser

The Molly Maguires was a big-budget drama from Paramount Pictures, with powerhouse stars, Sean Connery, Richard Harris, and Samantha Eggar, a terrific director, Martin Ritt (Hud, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and many others), and the screenwriter of Fail Safe and John Frankenheimer’s The Train, the great Walter Bernstein.  The film takes place in the Pennsylvania coal country in 1876 and is loosely based on the true story of a small band of Irish coal miners/terrorists called The Molly Maguires.

For the film, composer Henry Mancini composed one of his finest scores, filled with lush melodies and expert evocative themes.  Whether depicting an early morning at the mines (the astonishing opening cue), or the terrorist activities, or the blossoming love between Eggar and Harris, Mancini’s score is right up there with his greatest, including such masterpieces as Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Charade, Days of Wine and Roses, Hatari!, Two For The Road, and many others. 

The Molly Maguires was originally issued on LP, and made its CD debut on Bay Cities in the early 1990s.  For this new release, we had access to the original multi-track tapes stored in the Paramount vault.  We are thrilled to present the entire score as recorded by Mancini, newly mixed in superb sound, and which features several cues that were left off the original album.

When the tapes were pulled for The Molly Maguires, we were delighted to find that the tapes for Charles Strouse’s original score were there – after a disastrous preview, it was decided his score would be replaced.  Strouse, most well known for his Broadway musicals, had dabbled in film scoring with Bonnie and Clyde and The Night They Raided Minsky’s.  Strouse’s complete score is included on the CD. The music is very interesting, and it’s fascinating to hear Strouse’s completely opposite approach to the one Mancini would ultimately take.  There is some truly lovely music here.

The Molly Maguires is limited to 1500 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping. 

INVASION USA/TORMENTED

We’re pleased to present a deliriously wonderful double bill of Albert Glasser scores.  Invasion USA was made in 1952, when the Commie scare was in full bloom, the film is a nightmare (literally) vision of WHAT COULD HAPPEN HERE.   The film is indescribable in its weirdness and exists in a whole other movie universe.  It is a completely unique and classic B-movie, featuring a great B-movie cast, including Gerald Mohr, Peggie Castle, and Dan O’Herlihy.   The film also has the distinction of having both TV Lois Lanes in the same movie – Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill.  Even William Schallert makes a brief, uncredited appearance. 

Eight years later would come another wild, weird and wacky movie called Tormented, made by the wonderful Bert I. Gordon.  It was a story of death and jazz and love and a nasty female ghost come back to haunt and torment.  The cast included Richard Carlson, Juli Reding, Lugene Sanders, and the adorable Susan Gordon (Bert’s daughter).   Also making an appearance is Joe Turkel, who did several films for Gordon and who would ultimately give his most memorable performance as bartender Lloyd in the Stanley Kubrick film, The Shining. 

Naturally, the perfect person to score these films was Albert Glasser, and he delivered exactly what was expected of him and which no other composer could have delivered in quite the same way.  For Invasion USA he created a blaring, driving, crazy-quilt of a score, with screaming, dissonant brass.  One simply cannot imagine a more perfect score for the movie.  For Tormented, since the film’s leading man is a jazz pianist, Glasser naturally wrote a jazzy score – but this is not your normal jazz, this is TORMENTED jazz – jagged and crazy and somehow perfectly capturing the visuals of the film.

The two scores were mastered from Mr. Glasser’s personal tapes.  While there are occasional sound issues, our wonderful mastering engineer, James Nelson, has done Herculean work to make both scores sound as good as they’re ever going to.

Invasion USA/Tormented is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

Both CDs will ship the second week of March – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Interesting:

1. My publicity client, Art Lund, had a major role in THE MOLLY MAGUIRES.  I visited him on the set several times.

2. My friend and client, Dan O'Herlihy, was one of the stars of INVASION U.S.A.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »

TOD:

William Holden

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
SUNSET BLVD.
THE WILD BUNCH
BORN YESTERDAY
SABRINA