Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVY LIFTING  (Read 21637 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:HEAVY LIFTING
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »

Does anyone still wear a hat?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »

Two British musicals by Howard Goodall that I really like (based on the recordings, only) are The Hired Man and Days of Hope.  I remember reading that The Hired Man actually played on (or maybe off) Broadway for a very short time, but I don't think that Days of Hope has at all.  They are both historical pieces.

The Hired Man is based on a book by Melvyn Bragg, who also wrote the book of the musical, which in turn is based on his grandfather's actual life.  It's quite interesting and, I think, a very good score.  I think both are, actually.

According to the liner notes, "Days of Hope tells the simple story of a fisherman's family leaving their home in Valencia at the end of the Spanish Civil War [in 1939].  The scenes are juxtaposed with songs inspiried by, and reflecting on, the arguments and passions of that war."  Neither of these are what you would call "musical comedies."  They are both quite dramatic.

Another show that's cute (but not a great score...not bad, but not great) is ...e meno male che c’e' Maria (literally, it's "...and little evil that is Maria").  It's an Italian musical based on the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire."  It has several cute songs (don't ask me to name them, everything's in Italian).  However I don't think that if anyone is going to make a musical version of the show in the states that they would just translate this.  I'm sure that they would start all over.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 09:31:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 09:29:48 AM »

Of course, now I have to listen to all three of these at work!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 09:34:24 AM »

Well, I will have to join Jason and Matt (Did I miss anyone else?) in not being able to contribute to the Topic of the Day.  I am afraid I am not familiar with any foreign musicals, at least, not ones that haven’t, also, played the States.

Jason, your phone call really doesn’t surprise me, nor does Matt’s ex.  I was sitting around with three actors not long ago, all of whom do mostly musical theater.  At one point, I said I thought that the score of TITANIC was one of the best in years.  One of my friends rolled her eyes and said, “Oh God, I can’t stand that Celine Dion song.”  I said, “No, not the movie, the musical.”  And at the exact same time, all three of them looked at me and said (almost in unison), “They made a musical out of the movie, TITANIC???”    
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 09:37:19 AM »

Does anyone still wear a hat?

Yes. Particularly if it's a long, exhausting, sunny day, and one is balding.

Panni

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2004, 09:38:04 AM »

I was tired when I posted my "foreign" fave musical selection this morning and got the title wrong. It's "If I Ever Fall in Love Again" (Wildeblood & Greenwell) from THE CROOKED MILE.
If you want to read about this "lost musical" which is considered by some to be a masterpiece, go to
http://www.musical-theatre.net/html/crookedmile/mile1.html

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2004, 09:55:05 AM »

They made a musical out of the movie, TITANIC???”    

They did a remake of A Night to Remember?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2004, 10:08:05 AM »

My goodness, what a slow morning here at haineshisway.com.  What is this, Flag Day or something?  Well, let's wave our flags right here at haineshisway.com, shall we?

George

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2004, 10:15:47 AM »

I was tired when I posted my "foreign" fave musical selection this morning and got the title wrong. It's "If I Ever Fall in Love Again" (Wildeblood & Greenwell) from THE CROOKED MILE.
If you want to read about this "lost musical" which is considered by some to be a masterpiece, go to
http://www.musical-theatre.net/html/crookedmile/mile1.html

Sarah Brightman recorded "If I Ever Fall in Love Again" on her CD, "The Songs That Got Away."  It's quite good, IMHO ("In My Humble Opinion," in Internet lingo).

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2004, 10:17:58 AM »

BK, I have a question for you.

When you have copies of photos made for the Ray Court's show how do you go about it? Where does one go to have a multitude of photos made up and what is the cost usually?

George

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2004, 10:19:44 AM »

My goodness, what a slow morning here at haineshisway.com.  What is this, Flag Day or something?  Well, let's wave our flags right here at haineshisway.com, shall we?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I actually got up early today.  Of course, early for me is any time before Noon, so... 10:00, not too bad.  Unfortunately, it seems I got up on the proverbial wrong side of the bed.  I'm just not feeling "right".  Grouchy, in fact.  And I hardly ever feel grouchy.  (*Anyone remember Oscar the Grouch teaching "you" how to say "grouchy" in sign language?)  Maybe I need a nap...   :-\

In any case...

I'm afraid I can't really contribute to today's discussion... However, there are some foreign musicals that I'm familiar with, but they are ones that probably shouldn't be seen this side of the Pond.  Shows like Notre Dame de Paris, Whistle Down the Wind (yes, it ran briefly at the National Theatre in DC (and I sat in a rehearsal, but...), The Beautiful Game, The Witches of Eastwick, Matador, Blondel (actually, this one has interested me), etc.

DR MattH - thanks again for the DVD advice - I wonder if Panni's problem is being caused by the same "issues".  I'll check out the various connections, and see if there's a way I can connect my DVD player directly into my TV, AND still be able to get cable reception.  Aye, there's the rub!

OK... I'll be back later...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:24:58 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2004, 10:23:20 AM »

A sampling of calls I've had:

HER: I'd like to speak to my representative, please.
ME: What state are you calling from?
HER: Oh, I'm not calling from a state. I'm calling from a Junior High School.

Another example...this one I just had from Los Angeles:

HER: I'm trying to get a copy of the LITTLE SHOP script. I want to do a scene from it in an acting class.
ME: I'm sorry. We don't lend out libretti to acting students. If you're interested in doing book scenes from the show and not the musical numbers, may I suggest calling the Drama Bookshop. They sell the libretto there.
SHE: What do you mean, book scenes? I just want to do...you know...the words...not the songs.

Panni

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2004, 10:25:42 AM »

Two programming notes for tonight:

TCM is running back to back Dr. Kildare movies - three from 1939 & 1940.
And TRIO is showing HEAVEN'S GATE, followed by Final Cut: The Making of Heaven's Gate and Flop 101: Lessons from the Biz.  I read somewhere that Flop 101 is really interesting and gives an even handed view of Heaven's Gate and its effect on the industry.

George

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2004, 10:26:38 AM »

Oh, Jose, I love The Witches of Eastwick and Blondel!

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »

Hello to our newest goddess DR Ann!

DR Jose, I LOVE Notre Dame De Paris.

George

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2004, 10:30:38 AM »

That's pretty funny, Jennifer!  We posted one second apart and both loved shows that Jose mentioned!

Jason

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »

Anyone remember Oscar the Grouch teaching "you" how to say "grouchy" in sign language?

No, but I know the sign language I use when I actually am grouchy! :-X

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2004, 10:31:47 AM »

DR Jason: Those stories are hilarious.  I wonder how you can answer those questions without laughing.

George

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »

Two programming notes for tonight:

TCM is running back to back Dr. Kildare movies - three from 1939 & 1940.
And TRIO is showing HEAVEN'S GATE, followed by Final Cut: The Making of Heaven's Gate and Flop 101: Lessons from the Biz.  I read somewhere that Flop 101 is really interesting and gives an even handed view of Heaven's Gate and its effect on the industry.

I've never seen "Heaven's Gate" but every time someone mentions it, I always think that it's "Heaven Can Wait" and I have to remind myself that no, it's not that movie.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2004, 10:35:02 AM »

Went to see Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish last night.  It was interesting.  But it's hard to watch the show when you're reading subtitles!

It was quite good.  And when we got there I found out that Tevye was played by my sister's old boss.  And an old friend of my mom, was playing Yente.  And an actress who I had loved as Evita a number of years ago was playing Tseitel (sp?).

It was quite an ambitious undertaking.  And I didn't like it as much as I did when Theodore Bikel did it here a few years ago.  But it was still quite enjoyable.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2004, 10:35:11 AM »

And one final note before I bury myself in writing for a few hours... This is the kind of item - from Liz Smith's column of all places - that makes me wish Somerset Maugham were alive to write the novel:

His friends in America are a bit astonished to learn that their old pal Nigel Dempster, Great Britain's most famous gossip columnist, has turned for solace to the Catholic Church during the long illness that appears destined to take his life.
  A onetime habitue of high social life, Nigel has converted, giving away his goods to the poor and gathered into the bosom of the Mother Church in every way.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2004, 10:37:42 AM »

Does anyone have a good site for free ecards?  I usually use usagreetings, or yahoo greetings (although so many of theirs are now not free it's frustrating).

It's my best guy's birthday today (and even though I'm the ecard freak - i love to get them) I would like to find something new to send.

Thanks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2004, 10:39:29 AM »

Ann![/size]
Congratulations on your goddess – ship (oh, almost a TITANIC reference).
[/size] [/color] [/b]  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 11:41:57 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2004, 10:40:07 AM »

Re: Six Feet Under.

We don't get HBO, so it's frustrating.  We usually get them played here a year or two later.  But I hate that.  I started watching a couple from the first season when they showed them here.  But I never kept up with it.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2004, 10:40:45 AM »

Does anyone have a good site for free ecards?  I usually use usagreetings, or yahoo greetings (although so many of theirs are now not free it's frustrating).

It's my best guy's birthday today (and even though I'm the ecard freak - i love to get them) I would like to find something new to send.

Thanks.

If you want to say it with frogs, try:

http://www.froggyville.com/card.html

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2004, 10:40:50 AM »

It's basically a buck a photo with a minumum of twenty-five, I think - at least where I'll be doing it IF I can find the photos.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2004, 10:53:09 AM »

Unapologetically e & t this weekend--I took up an invite by a friend to spend the weekend at his place at the Jersey shore.  I decided to have a relatively media-free time, so I didn't take the laptop nor did we watch the TV at all.  The only thing that played was the radio.  It was very relaxing.

TOD:  I think the only song that I can think of that I like from an un-USA-produced musical would be "And" from the aforementioned Billy.

DR Jason, why didn't you try to sell Poop: The Musical to the dweeb on the phone?

DR Jose, you can go to Radio Shack and buy an A/B switch to hook up both your DVD and VCR players into.  THat might solve the interferance issue.

DR Panni, have you ever scanned though a book called You Can Heal You Life by Loiuse Hay?  While she does support the idea that an individual's personal issues can manifest themselves into a disease (and she gets very exact with this), she does offer some interesting ideas on the mind/body connection.

The Flicks candy discussed yesterday sounds an awful lot like those Pringles-like chocolates that were recently put out by Hersheys or Nestles.

Congrats to DR Ann on achieving Godhood.  My turn will be comin up shortly.  And I have a very long list of those I shall make grovel with my God-like powers.  Yes, they shall pay!  Oh, how they shall pay! (We do get God-like powers, don't we?)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2004, 11:04:50 AM »

Congratulations to Goddess ANN!

MB - My first rehearsal is tonight since I don't come onstage until the second act, and I am learning them right now!

Hmmmmmmmmm....Foreign musicals?  I like a lot of the songs in the early Cliff Richard movie musicals....

I like the score to THE FIX, a musical about American politics, especially "Child's Play"and "Mistress of Deception."

I also really like MARTIN GUERRE  by Boubil & Schonberg.  My favorite songs there (although I like the whole score) are:  "Martin Guerre", "Tell Me to Go", and "Land of the Fathers."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »

Sad and shocking news....Robert Lees, screenwriter of A/C MEET FRANKENSTEIN was murdered yesterday...  :'(

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3415530/detail.html
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up