Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TIME THAT GOT AWAY  (Read 9263 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE TIME THAT GOT AWAY
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »

DR JOSE how was the food?  Were there libations as well?  What was the most interesting conversation you had....AND of course what was the BEST auditioning costume you saw?

DR JRand - Last night's food was good. My grilled grouper entree was a tad overlooked, but the appetizers were very good. I was in a "fruity mood", so I had a strawberry margarita followed by a strawberry daiquiri.

Oh, and hotel's fire alarm went off during the middle of dinner last night. Apparently, someone had left a lit cigarette near one of the smoke detectors. Thankfully, we only had to stand outside for about five minute while the fire department checked things out. -That was exciting.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »

It's Tuesday already-- the week is flying by.

"And who's to say the week is out?  It's only Tuesday."

Which, at some point, was changed to:

"And who's to say the week is out?  It's only Friday."

Has it?

I've always wondered about the change from "crumpet" to "parsley". -Or is that vice versa?

As usual, I have absolutely no idea what you all are talking about.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »

DR Jane, I think everybody liked the pasta salad.

I know my sister loved it (she made me leave her the leftovers). I gave my mom some to try yesterday and she also liked it.

The guys ... well they ate it ... but didn't say anything. But i guess if they ate it then they probably liked it.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:30 AM »

I didn't have a chance to watch SMASH last night. But will watch it either today or tomorrow. Can't wait!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »

DR JOSE how was the food?  Were there libations as well?  What was the most interesting conversation you had....AND of course what was the BEST auditioning costume you saw?

As for some of the other food I enjoyed in Memphis over the past couple of days:

-The fried chicken at Gus's Fried Chicken.
-Homemade Soft Pretzels and Beer Cheese Fondue at Local Gastropub.
-Green Chile & Chorizo Mac'n'Cheese also at Local Gastropub.
-The donuts from Donald's Donuts that the conference provided us each morning at the theatre. The Chocolate Pudding-filled ones were my favorites.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »

Has it?

I've always wondered about the change from "crumpet" to "parsley". -Or is that vice versa?

Well, that's because you're a lesbian.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »

As far as conversations go, well... I would sit in on the Dance Call, and a couple of times I would check in with the choreographer to see who her favorites were, who were the best dancers. And then we'd critique the dance attire. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 07:56:27 AM »

As for "BEST auditioning costume", well... There were no real "costumes", but there were a couple of "fashion don'ts". Apparently, the "Jersey Shore" look is considered "appropriate audition attire" by some people.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:15:42 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »

Has it?

Sweeney Todd

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »

Oh no....a Snookie audition.....pretty scary.  DR JOSE thanks for the reports.

Is it true that sometimes the "favorite" of the choreographer is not the same as the "best dancer"?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:49 AM »

Vibes for DR SAM.

And thanks to DR AMY for the Kritzerland Vitello's at the Upstairs and the Downstairs Abbey report.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »

Re:  Carol Burnett Show.  At my site's biweekly staff meeting, the guys, most of whom I would guess are in their thirties, were discussing "Love Story," and I mentioned the great Burnett parody of it, where Carol, as Ali, asks for a three minute egg and Harvey, as Ryan, kind of looks at her with a "well, maybe not. . ." expression.  Crickets. . .  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »

Of course not every variety special was....well special.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJFj_YzFXw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL735F111C7CD36116

I want a coat rack the flies up to ceiling.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 08:19:46 AM »

Is it true that sometimes the "favorite" of the choreographer is not the same as the "best dancer"?

Sometimes, but not in this case. However, that "situation" usually applies to Directors. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »

OK... We'll be on the ground in about 15 minutes. Time to log off and power down.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJFj_YzFXw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL735F111C7CD36116

Apparently I didn't watch tv in the 80s either. And we had a tv then.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »

LOL......DR LAURA.....without the competition of cable and satellite, the networks could program just about anything.

LOL...DR JOSE.....yes, that is true....at ALL theaters.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

DR JRand - Last night's food was good. My grilled grouper entree was a tad overlooked, but the appetizers were very good. I was in a "fruity mood", so I had a strawberry margarita followed by a strawberry daiquiri.

The "grilled grouper was a tad overlooked"?  By whom?

You didn't miss it on your plate, did you?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

I try to overlook fish that is on my plate.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

Now that I have established, per se, that I am my usual light-hearted self, I must rant a bit over my incredulity at stupid things people write in forums online that otherwise belie the intelligence I always took them for having.

At FilmScoreMonthly Messageboard, someone has started a thread entitled, "Has any movie ever offended you?"

I was somewhat intrigued.  Has a movie ever offended me?   No, actually.  I've found "parts" of a movie offensive...a miscast actor, an obtrusive, jarring music score, an inane script or lackluster/lousy/lethargic directing.  But no movie, as a whole, has ever offended me.

And then I read replies.

O!  My Dear G!

One poster said that "Cocoon" was a highly offensive film.  Why?  Because he had taken his mother to see it at a time when his grandmother -- who was in her 80s and not expected to live much longer -- was very much on the minds of her family.   Yet, here is this film about seniors whose children were (gasp! How unbelievable!) "ignoring" their parents...so the parents hook up with aliens and blast off to another planet where they can live longer lives in good health with agile bodies and minds.   That, in essence, was VERY disturbing to mother and son and the movie just SUCKED because of it.

Another poster hates, Hates, HATES "Sleepless in Seattle" because it simplisitcally and unrealistically (gosh! Imagine that of a movie!) reduced a man's personal, tragic loss of his wife into a tale in which everyone is forced to believe that he can find TRUE LOVE with another woman, no matter how deep his grief is.

I swear!  People take personal baggage into a movie theater hoping the movie will be escapist fare...and then find themselves wrestling with their personal demons and taking, personally, the movie's premise as though it were a personal affront to them.

Add to that another poster who is always negative, Negative, NEGATIVE about any and everything out there that supports and issues things he dearly loves -- classic films on DVD or Blu-ray and classic film scores on CD.  Here is a guy who professes to love movies and and movie music and then goes out of his way to nitpick and/or revile the efforts of those who, by going out on a financial limb because they, too, love these things, make the products possible.

NOTHING is ever good enough.  The man is highly irritating, and he's been like this for years.  No, he's not that Steven person who blackens the day of every theater lover.  No, this one is named Joe, and he suffered some brain damage in 2001 when he was struck by a car while he was out walking in L.A.   That's awful, of course.  But his life is now posting to the internet.  He has long ago forgotten the difference between reality and fantasy and spins some ridiculous lies based on other folks' personal experiences or his own imaginings.  He spews these fantasies out in various forums and draws quite an audience of folks who "think" he knows what he's talking about.  He's a smart guy, and he does know a lot about films, film making and film scoring.  BUT, he inserts himself into some of the stories he tells about other people's experiences, thereby passing them off as first-hand personal accounts.  He's also a very bitter man because he's persona non grata at most Hollywood studios where, in the 1980s, he worked producting laserdiscs of films such as "1776", "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes", "Oliver", "Counterfeit Traitor", etc.  He also walked out with DAT tapes of film music which "mysteriously" ended up being bootlegged by European CD labels.

At any rate, this Joe person posted a nasty little item on a thread about the UK Blu-ray of "Cleopatra" saying he sure hopes the label Twilight Time doesn't have anything to do with the film's U.S. release "because" they don't have good artwork on their DVDs and they offer no extras or booklets.

Joe completely ignores the fact that, without Twilight Time, none of the titles he has bought would have been available on any other label.  No, truth is completely inconvenient for him.

Rant over.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:00:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »

Off to NYPL in my "Merry Wives" search. I've got about half of my rewrites finished so that makes the afternoon easier to deal with.

I loved "The Garry Moore Show," "Carol Burnett," and I have only vague Andy Williams memories. I also like Perry Como's show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

A nice jolt, Jrand!

Ah, as with Frank Langella, Barry Bostwick is such a good actor that I'd forgotten that he was once a sex symbol.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »

SMASH debuts on Monday night

Proposition 8 decision today

What a week, and it's only Tuesday

FJL

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »

I loved "The Hudson Brothers" variety show for the time it was on and am always surprised that people don't know Kate Hudson's father from that TV show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »

I forgot about The Hudson Brothers.  I mostly remember them from a Saturday morning show....not the animated one....that was pretty funny!

And DR FJL....how about those splits from Mr Bostwick!!!

I watched SMASH online last week....and it was okay.  I might watch it for a few weeks and see how it goes.  It features a major irritant of mine, but there are some things that might overcome that for me.  And the music is okay.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »

DR ELMORE the Dream-O-Matic 6000 cannot fathom why you have connected Ms LuPone and Ms Barrymore in your dreams....although it could indeed be you are puzzled by the success of both ladies in careers outside their usual categories....and feel that you yourself should be more recognized for things you do that you are not known for.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And Greetings from Delta Flight 1260 from MEM to LGA!

I'm having trouble keeping up with your schedule, belated SAFE TRAVEL VIBES!

Jane

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »

Okay, I'm a day late in posting, but Mark and I attended Kritzerland show #18, and it was wonderful of course. Bruce helped us get a better table right up front, which we soooo appreciate! Anyway, Mark and I love Michelle Nicastro's CDs, so it's really great to hear those songs life. The Dressing Song is one of our favorites, and Melody Hollis did it splendidly. Again, how does she learn all those words?! And how does she sing them so fast? What an amazing brain she has. Anyway, other highlights of the show included hearing how Bruce and Alet Taylor first met, getting to hear Bruce sing once again, and hearing Mr. Sherman sing a lost song from Mary Poppins. It was a delightful little song called "Chimpanzoo", but there was no mic stand attached to the piano, so the accompaniest had to lean over and hold the mic for him. Mr. Sherman's comment was something like, "this is the nicest mic stand I've ever used." Very funny. Also, always charming is the way Bruce can never figure out how to say Kritzerland at Sterling's Upstairs at Vitellos. He always mixes up the order of the words which gets some giggles, but we forgive him because "he's old". The only disappointment was that our waiter never told us what the specials were. I knew nothing of the pasta with chicken and pink sauce until Bruce told us about it. Now I know to always ask what the specials are. Live and learn.

I always enjoy reading your reports of the shows.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »

DR Jane, I think everybody liked the pasta salad.

I know my sister loved it (she made me leave her the leftovers). I gave my mom some to try yesterday and she also liked it.

The guys ... well they ate it ... but didn't say anything. But i guess if they ate it then they probably liked it.

I gather you will be making this recipe again.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »

Thank you DR's Jrand & Doug.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up