Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: ENIGMA VARIATIONS  (Read 22372 times)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
Re:ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2004, 11:18:29 PM »

First of all I must start with my apologies. I have been lazy and have not been to the board for a few days. We have had jam packed rehearsals for Seussical, and I have been attempting to clean house and couldn't bring myself to sit down and read and post on the board. I'm terrible I know. I beg everyone's forgiveness and will try to be better about keeping up with the board.

I won't start anything other than thi for now, I will be up for awhile so I will get back into the groove with tomorrow lovely postings. (P.S. How close are we to the 50, 000 mark?)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2004, 11:20:57 PM »

Let's put it this way: If we were to have a fairly good day tomorrow we might just reach it by end of evening.  And then, watch out!  Friday will be a major bash around these here parts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Do you realize that if every guest posted twenty posts, we'd reach our new plateau by morning?

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2004, 11:24:29 PM »

I hope Seussical goes well Joey. It did not seem to find its audience in New York. We loved it and the deightful Cathy Rigby had "Star Quality". The Cat is just so important in bringing the audience "in" to the action and story.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2004, 11:25:01 PM »

Forgot to ask - how is the "tapping " going?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2004, 11:27:06 PM »

It was Last Remaining Seats night tonight here, Dear Readers.  Unusually, the screening was not at one of the movie palaces on Broadway in downtown Los Angeles but rather at the beautifully restored Alex Theatre in Glendale.

The feature film was Gold Diggers of 1935.  I haven't seen a Busby Berkeley film in eons, and I was reminded tonight of just how spectacular the musical numbers in these films are.  I was also reminded of how, during the non-musical scenes, I keep wishing those talky people on the screen would hurry up so we can get to the next musical number.  This picture climaxes with an over the top production on "Lullaby of Broadway."

It was a varied program tonight leading into Gold Diggers.  

First up was a 1933 Betty Boop short, Snow-White, clearly made before Walt and Company got a lock on the character.  

Then there was a fashion show featuring glamorous women's costumes from films made in the 'thirties as well as a few that were set in the 'thirties.  

Then, Miss Gloria Stuart (who plays one of the leads in Gold Diggers of 1935) made a personal appearance and was interviewed by somebody named Rudy Behlmer.  Miss Stuart remains sharp and witty and charming.  Best nugget from the chat:  When asked what it was like to work with Busby Berkeley, Miss Stuart, who does not appear in any of the big musical numbers in the film, revealed that she never met him.  While BB was busy directing those musical extravaganzas, someone with the title of "Dialogue Director" was the one who ran the "book" scenes in the movie.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2004, 11:29:48 PM »

DR Jay, I'm sorry we didn't run into you last night. I have become accustomed to seeing you when  I go to LA lately.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2004, 11:35:32 PM »

Well on the tapping front we learned what he wants us to do at the end. It is VERY intensive. Especially since I have never tapped. I was able to follow along and remember for the most part what we are supposed to do, but I just couldn't get it at the speed he was teaching it. (He was just giving an overview because he has to leave town for a week. We have people who know tap well in the cast who are going to lead the rest of us.) Not everyone is going to end up doing it I think because it is so intensive, but I really want to learn it and do it. I am not a dancer by any means (Darn my parents for taking me out of dance when I was 5) :) I did better than I expected tonight, but I am going an hour early to work on it with some of the good tappers in the cast to try to get it down. Our Cat is very good, but they changed the book and libretto for the tour. It worked better so that is what MTI uses. There is no Day for the Cat in the Hat anymore, and there are some other changes too, but now I am rambling.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2004, 11:37:31 PM »

Joey, I don't remember ..... what part are you playing in Seussical?

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2004, 11:42:49 PM »

Well I am an ensemble member in the show. I muffed up my audition but thems the breaks. I was happy to be cast at all as I haven't done any theatre in over a year. Anyway I am a Who, a cadet, a hunter, and a hunch. :-) It has been a lot of fun, but the rehearsals seem to be not very well organized. I have no worries because the talent in the cast is phenomenal. Seussical is a very ensemble dominant show, so I never really get much of a break off stage.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 11:44:04 PM by Joey »

Jay

« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2004, 11:43:17 PM »

I fear I shall be errant and truant for the next few days, Dear Readers.  I realize such behavior makes me deserving of a major bitch slapping, but the fact is I shall be out of town and will not have internet access.

I will miss being present for the achievement of 50,000 posts on the new site.  I will be absent, too, for Dear BK's crossing of the 5000 personal posts milestone.  Worse, I'll be MIA for the big partay celebrating these astounding events.

So (this a little premature, I know) congratulations to Dear BK for making this site possible, and to Dear BK again and all the wonderful Dear Readers who make this a very special place.  Thanks to www.haineshisway.com, I've learned a lot about a great many things, and made the acquaintance of oodles of interesting, witty, smart and talented people, many of whom I've had the opportunity to meet in person.

Again, thanks everyone, and congratulations.  I will check in upon my return next week.

Jay

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2004, 11:44:51 PM »

DR Jay, I'm sorry we didn't run into you last night. I have become accustomed to seeing you when  I go to LA lately.

Sorry to have missed you, too.  I was otherwise committed last night, else I would have joined you.  

Would have loved to have joined you and Dear Reader Sandra on Hollywood Boulevard today.  Now I have to go hunting for Jason's and Jose's stars!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2004, 11:45:56 PM »

Have a good trip, wherever you are going, DR Jay. We will miss you.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2004, 11:47:15 PM »

If Guy Haines appears at the Cinegrill, DR Jay, we will simply HAVE to go together to see him!!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2004, 11:48:59 PM »

DR Joey, I am very glad you have joined our little site, soon to be the most popular site on the internet. I really like having young folk post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2004, 11:53:32 PM »

Rudy Behlmer is a long-time film historian and can be heard on many DVD commentary tracks.  He's also a pal of our very own dear reader Pogue.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up