Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE 'COON'S AGE  (Read 28178 times)

Ben

Re:THE 'COON'S AGE
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:47 AM »

And we are here!

As they said on the Mary Tyler Moore episode of Chuckles Bites the Dust (or whatever it was called)

A Little Song
A Little Dance
A Little Seltzer
Down Your Pants
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:19:24 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:51 AM »

Given your religion, DR DIT, is this a euphemism?

Very funny. All I'm saying is that it was the twangy sound that drove 'em crazy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:31:25 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2004, 10:18:42 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about unhealthy obsession with B.O.  

Less than 115 posts to go in our countdown to 50,000 posts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2004, 10:24:57 AM »

Congrats to Dan the Man!  And high time, too!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)[/move]

(At this rate, we'll soon have enough Gods and Goddesses to create our own state!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2004, 10:26:09 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about unhealthy obsession with B.O.  
That's Box Office, not Body Odor.  One of the nice things about the Internet is that we don't have to smell each other if we don't want to.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2004, 10:28:19 AM »

(A Teenager on the Internet starts singing:)

Popular!
I saw a movie that's Pop-u-u-lar!
It was filled with that CGI,
I watched people die,
And the theater was full, you see,
But the one that made it Popular was me!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »

I'll be E&T a few hours as I'm headed to a friend's pool for some swimming and sunbathing. Back later this afternoon.
Sunbathing!  There's a silly word!  Why on earth does the Sun need to be given a bath?  Wouldn't that just cause a lot of steam?

In Space, No-One Can Year You Splash!

(One more to our goal!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2004, 10:34:56 AM »

Welcome to DTM as the newest HHW GOD!  

Lovely pictures DRLAURA....I am sure just a bit further down the block you would have found the stars of the rest of us.

Congratulations to Mr BK on accepting the directing gig.  Looking forward to discovering the title and details.  I think it takes awhile because someone has to find out if the title has been licensed by someone else within a certain mile radius.....and it can't be produced if it has.  And of course, once you have the license, no one else can produce it within a specified time period and geographical location.  Although, I have been tempted to send a map of Indiana to both Samuel French and MTI!

Yes, as has been written here at HHW - I think the obsession with box office numbers for movies and the stage allows anyone to join in on a conversation on a fascinating subject.  And the writer doesn't have to know anything about films, directors, or stars.  A lot of people would like to be part of the world of show business and never will, but this way they can add their opinion and feel part of a bigger, more important, and glamorous community than they do in real life.  And if a little joy is brung into their humdrum lives, then all that hard work ain't been in vain for nuthin'!

And actually I think it all adds $$$ to the producing companies, because I think (I think) they get a bigger percentage of the gross during the first weeks of the run...and a bigger percentage goes to the theatre owner as the run continues.

As I child, I liked to read MAD magazine....and no one else ever got it!  What me worry?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2004, 10:41:43 AM »

Unfortunately, this box office fixation has taken on a life of its own. Look at the ads: "The Number One Comedy in the Nation!" (Meaning that two comedies came out this week and this one beat out the other one.) - People actually look at this idiocy and believe it. -- And make movie-going decisions according to it. ...Which leads to a whole other fixation in this country (and Canada) - Ranking things. There are now a slew of programs and lists that rank everything from Sexiest Movie Couple to 100 Best Movies. Who makes these decisions anyway? And why should we care? But people actually do listen. Even people with knowledge and love of movies and books. Blechh!
End of rant. Back to work so I can be one of the Top Ten
Screenwriters in Studio City.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2004, 10:44:19 AM »

There's something about the box-office numbers mania that reminds me of the game played by baseball fans, where they make up teams of existing players and determine how well the different teams would play against each other by how well the players do in real games.  Of course, the sports game is just for fun.  

Even in far off Romania my son plays this game, as he has for years, with his friends.  Isn't the internet wonderful?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2004, 10:48:26 AM »

Before I get back to work... On the other topic... One of the weird things I did as a child was to play with this one tiny doll (maybe 4 inches) I had which was made entirely of some kind of rubbery material - including her pigtails. I would slather Nivea Cream all over her, then wipe it off. That was it. I found this endlessly fascinating. The doll now sits on my desk. (I no longer slather her in anything.)

Jane

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2004, 10:51:02 AM »

Bruce was the play the news I thought I would miss?  I hope the rights come through without a problem and the play is a success.

Rachel looks lovely as usual.  

DearReaderLaura, and Sandra-fun pictures.  Where do you stay when in L.A.?

Jay, thank you for all your good wishes.

Oh, Joey we are just happy when you join us, you don’t need to apologize when you are absent-just be sure not to stay away too long.

Bruce, I think I will miss the celebration.  Have fun without me.

Congratulations Dan-the-Man.  Funny GI Joe story!  

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2004, 10:52:56 AM »

Two hours and still no email.

Isn't hotmail divine!

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2004, 10:54:43 AM »

DR Panni: That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of!  Why on earth were you slathering her with Nivea Cream? :)

Jason

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2004, 10:55:54 AM »

Good day all. It's a hot, sticky, gross day in New York and it's nearly as warm in the office as it is outside. Yuck.

Regarding the licensing process: I don't know from what company you're obtaining the rights for your play, BK, but this is how it works at MTI.

Step 1: Apply for the rights to the production. At MTI it takes anywhere from 7-10 days to process applications, though it rarely takes that long. At other licensing houses such as Tams-Witmark and Samuel French, it could take two to three weeks. Don't ask me why. Why does it take 7-10 days, you ask? Well, MTI deals with nearly 50,000 customers in the United States alone, and we handle nearly 5,000 phone calls, emails and loose applications in the mail daily with a staff of only 10 licensing representatives. They're fast, but they're also swamped with work.

Once the application has been processed, you will either be granted a production contract or your application will be refused. Application refusals are based on several factors, some of which include moritoriums on certain shows (i.e. LES MIZ, THE PRODUCERS or MILLIE, which still have first-class [Broadway productions or national tours] running), the proximity of other productions of the same show in your area (MTI uses a 150-mile radius), past relationships with MTI and/or moritoriums placed by the authors. If you're accepted, you'll receive a production contract in the mail. The time the contract is in the mail is also figured into the 7-10 day processing time.

Step 2: Fill out the production contract with all necessary information including where and when the production will take place, how many performances and how much tickets will cost. Read and sign any riders that may be included in the contract package and return one copy of the contract and/or rider(s) to MTI and include your $400 security deposit for the materials, as well as the royalty payment and rental fee for any additional materials. Two months before your opening night, your materials will arrive to the specified address and you can begin rehearsals.

Now, in your situation, there might be a problem. Technically the producer(s) of the show should have applied for rights quite a while ago to allow for processing and shipping, whether it be a play or a musical that you're working on. It sounds to me like you've already started rehearsing the show, which will likely raise a red flag for the licensing house--they'll be curious how you've started rehearsals without having "official" materials. I don't know how that will affect your rights request application, if at all. I also don't know if and/or how the time crunch will affect their decision, either. I know that several companies have been denied the rights to a production because of time constraints and/or because they'd already started production rehearsals without having secured the rights to the show. There again, for larger-scaled productions, we certainly have been known to do rush work.

And then there are the illegal productions. We've issued 'Cease and Desists' for illegal productions, as well, threatening fines of anywhere from $10,000 to $35,000 per copyright infringement (meaning per performance without a license). It's always fun for us to get calls from people reporting illegal or horribly altered productions of our shows. An all-white production of AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' or the movie version of ANNIE as opposed to what we actually license are big no-no's. Switching the order of songs or scenes or gender-bending roles isn't permitted, either. Well, that's not exactly true...you can have a girl playing a boy as long as the character in the show is still a boy. Sally can play Bobby in COMPANY as long as she plays Bobby as a man. You can't make Bobby into "Bobbi," the lesbian who sleeps around and finds out that what she's been missing all her life is true love. Ya can't do that. Anyway, you get the point...

And that, my friends, is a short lesson in theatrical licensing.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2004, 10:56:49 AM »

DR Jane, I just wanted to say bye, and have a wonderful trip.  What is the date of your return? (so we know when to look for you).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2004, 10:57:40 AM »

No, Jane, not the news.  The news will come soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2004, 10:58:33 AM »

Countdown to 50,000 posts - only about ninety-seven to go.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2004, 11:00:31 AM »

Thank you DR Jason, that was EXTREMELY interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2004, 11:01:49 AM »

Watched an interesting motion picture on DVD last night. I had gone down to Best Buy to pick up the new release of High School Confidential. Well, they didn't have it but they did have a newly released double feature DVD of Return of the Giant Monsters (a Gamera movie) and The Magic Serpent (I wonder what the box office on those two were?).

Anyhow, The Magic Serpent is the film that I watched last night and it is a Japanese giant moster pic from 1966 that I have never seen before. It was a lot of fun! It was a samurai film, with flying samurai (in sort of a Crouching Tiger kind of way) with giant monsters sprinkled here and there. A giant dragon (with Godzilla's roar), a giant horned frog, a giant bird, and briefly, a giant spider. Made by Toei who I sort of think of as a Toho wanna be when it came to monster movies. I had heard of this movie but had never seen it. Now I have.

Oh, and the lead samurai was quite a hottie I might add!

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2004, 11:02:21 AM »

Ninety-seven is nothing.  There are 12 users currently on the board.  We only each need 8 posts.

Hmmm, I could do that in a matter of minutes. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2004, 11:05:08 AM »

BK, which post exactly is the one? (i'm assuming it must be somewhere around #174 today).

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2004, 11:06:39 AM »

Anybody have any good Father's Day gift ideas?

Usually I just go with Arnold Palmer shirts (since they have pockets which apparently are a must).

My dad would never think to buy new clothes for himself.  Go figure.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2004, 11:12:22 AM »

DRJENNIFER almost any man - whether he admits it or not - could use a new wallet!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 11:12:41 AM by JRand53 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2004, 11:13:17 AM »

Before I get back to work... On the other topic... One of the weird things I did as a child was to play with this one tiny doll (maybe 4 inches) I had which was made entirely of some kind of rubbery material - including her pigtails. I would slather Nivea Cream all over her, then wipe it off. That was it. I found this endlessly fascinating. The doll now sits on my desk. (I no longer slather her in anything.)
But I'm certain she stays perpetually young, because you took care of her so well.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2004, 11:14:23 AM »

Jennifer I hope your email arrives soon and isn’t lost.

I think slathering the doll with Cream could make perfect sense.  Children emulate.  I suspect Panni you watched your mother or someone else use the cream.   Or the action itself may have just felt good, like finger painting.  To me it sounds funny, but not weird.

I’m trying to think of strange things I did.  I do recall in high school I convinced a guy I was a witch and had “powers”.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2004, 11:15:25 AM »

Jennifer - note the difference:   ;D

Duct tape special:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2004, 11:16:03 AM »

New and improved gift from loving daughter:   ;D

Jane

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2004, 11:16:46 AM »

No, Jane, not the news.  The news will come soon.

Then email me so I have the news when I return home.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2004, 11:16:57 AM »

I think slathering the doll with Cream could make perfect sense. To me it sounds funny, but not weird.

To me it sounds weird.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 11:17:24 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up