Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A REALLY BIG SHEW  (Read 11530 times)

Ben

Re: A REALLY BIG SHEW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

For those who might be interested, I'll be on Beverley's World of Music on BBC Radio Wales this afternoon. The show airs live from 4pm to 6pm NY time (adjust accordingly based on your location). I have a review of Anything Goes (which I liked). You can listen live

BBC Radio Wales

or wait until the show is on iPlayer for the next 7 days (sometime after 6pm NY time)

Beverley's World of Music

I don't know where I am in the show but I usually appear sometime around the half-hour mark (don't take that as gospel)

Ben

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »

I have already cut WAY WAY back on attention to politics. It's too dirty and messy and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of feeling like my head will explode so the solution is to stop listening.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »

I think that DR BEN and DR CILLA LIZ are reflecting the current general opinion....and we aren't even at the conventions yet!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »

I have a board meeting today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »

All alone on a Sunday.

Danise

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »

I often wish I had a skill with a musical instrument.  I can't play piano or guitar now because of the arthritis in my hands.  I guess I'll just have to whistle. :)

I gave on politics a long time ago.  You think your doing a good thing voting for someone who will do something and then nothing happens. 

I was just sitting here thinking--has it really been a week since I was so excited to be flying out to NYC?  It just seems so strange to be so excited about something and now it's all over.  Do I really have to go back to work tomorrow?  Sigh.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after a good night's sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »

Of course I produced the Kuhn CD (she only has one) - I didn't like most of the arrangements then, but she did, and a couple of them were fine.  Her performances of the songs are terrific, but it's not an album I've ever loved and I really don't understand the lack of strings until the very end of the album.  I can see exactly why I sequenced it the way I did, but it baffles me.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »

Finally had an opportunity to see a brief segment of DR Danise's appearance on the Anderson Cooper Show.I had hoped it would be on Demand, but it wasn't. So I saw the wonderful things that the show did for Danise.

My questions is did Danise have to take the washer and dryer back with her on the airplane? :-0
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

Found out yesterday that there is another little evening of Jule Styne happening three days before our show - and that one is using the person we were hoping would be our guest star.  I haven't exactly been silent about our next show, and maybe it's just coincidence.  The other show takes place in a private home, but there is such a limited audience for these things that I'm now thinking of changing ours to something else - which is a BIG pain in the ass to do at this point since I cast this show around this composer.  I shall ponder whilst I jog.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

DR Jane re: ebook prices and if they drop.

I definitely don't think that the price of a new book would drop for a while. But if there is a book you want I would say just keep checking. Because I think sometimes the prices change for a very short time.

Yes, I believe it is called a sale.   ;D
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »

DR Jane re: ebook prices and if they drop.

I definitely don't think that the price of a new book would drop for a while. But if there is a book you want I would say just keep checking. Because I think sometimes the prices change for a very short time.

Since the older books were priced higher I was concerned the price would go up after it was released.  I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of days.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/digital-books-a-booming-business-at-sioux-city-libraries/article_485b88be-d6c1-551d-961d-d5634dbc20cc.html

DR Jane thought you may find this interesting. It talks about the digital books from our library and how publishers are cutting off libraries from buying books.

Thanks.  I don't really understand the reasoning behind this & the wait for an eBook can be longer than a hardcover.  I think the publishers believe they can sell more eBooks by limiting the supply to the libraries.  In my case they are correct.  I don't feel as bad now that I can purchase most books from my local store through google eBooks.  I can't pre-order them though which prompted my questions concerning the lower price on the book I want. 

Jane

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

I have decided I don't like anyone in any party running for office so I'm no longer going to pay attention to politics.  I've voted for what was in my mind the lesser of two evils too many elections in a row.  Not sure I'll even vote in November

I know how you feel :(

Jane

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Michael S link=topic=316

My questions is did Danise have to take the washer and dryer back with her on the airplane? :-0
[/quote

Pull up DR Danise's most recent post & you can read all about that. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

Back from the four-mile jog and have figured out a different way to go for the next show that would still enable me to use some Jule Styne songs without it being a Styne evening - I may just do it - Bob Merrill.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

I agree with CillzLiz, Ben and Danise on the political stuff. It's too much sound and fury signifying nothing. Though that lack of significance says way too much. It's all depressing.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »

Back from the four-mile jog and have figured out a different way to go for the next show that would still enable me to use some Jule Styne songs without it being a Styne evening - I may just do it - Bob Merrill.
Love Bob Merrill idea. Even his flops, and he had quite a few, had some great songs in them. Though you could also do Comden and Green to get to Styne.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/digital-books-a-booming-business-at-sioux-city-libraries/article_485b88be-d6c1-551d-961d-d5634dbc20cc.html

DR Jane thought you may find this interesting. It talks about the digital books from our library and how publishers are cutting off libraries from buying books.

Thanks.  I don't really understand the reasoning behind this & the wait for an eBook can be longer than a hardcover.  I think the publishers believe they can sell more eBooks by limiting the supply to the libraries.  In my case they are correct.  I don't feel as bad now that I can purchase most books from my local store through google eBooks.  I can't pre-order them though which prompted my questions concerning the lower price on the book I want. 

When I first purchased my Kindle, I actually read all the stuff that came with it.  I believe, at the time, Amazon said that the Kindle price was always set by the publisher.  Don't know if it still true.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »

Merrill it is - have officially made the switch.  Now, I don't know about you, but let me just say - PAGE TWO???

John G.

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »

If you need any off the beaten path Merrill, I've got "Hannah" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" I can share.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »

Just tried cleaning out a closet -- I'm not a horder, truly. But I think that despite the fact that I put away an entire box for Goodwill and I threw away a great amount of stuff, it looks messier than before. And that could describe too much of this house. Spring cleaning will be extensive this year. 
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

To those who might listen to Beverley's World of Music later on the iPlayer, my segment appears at about 1 hour and 20 minutes into the program. She has an interview with a Welsh musician and that segues into my review of Anything Goes.

See the link at the top of this page (Page 2) for access to BWoM at BBC Radio Wales

Laura

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

I have decided I don't like anyone in any party running for office so I'm no longer going to pay attention to politics.  I've voted for what was in my mind the lesser of two evils too many elections in a row.  Not sure I'll even vote in November

I feel like I've voted for the lesser of two evils all my voting life.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

Oh, Laura, your quotes always make me laugh!!!

Ben

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »

That refers to cowboys and Denny's, by the way.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »

Channel 21 just broadcast this heartbreaking documentary about Marie Antoinette. I have no urge to ever see the Norma Shearer film again and I've never seen the Coppola attempt. I feel this and the wonderful Antonia Fraser biography do the dead woman justice.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »

Sunday evening greetings!  Richard and I got home from Lima quite early today, but I had to have a nap because I'd been awake since about 3:30am.  Much better now...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

Watching "The Gingerbread Man" this afternoon. Forgot how tense this movie was.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up