Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHERMAN BROTHERS  (Read 15407 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE SHERMAN BROTHERS
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

Successful surgery vibes to DR TCB! I'm very glad that the surgery has now been scheduled.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

I notice that DR TCB is also in good form today.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »

Good morning all.  Sorry I was so short last night but that first day back at work was a monster and I was tired.

Dear TCB I don't want to hear one negative word about your surgery!  No talk of dying because THAT is NOT going to happen.  You are going to sail though it and be so much better afterwards.  I won't entertain any other thoughts on that subject! You have to go into the surgery with a positive outlook.

I remember when I went in for my breast surgery I was trying to joke and said "I'll see you on the other side" to Themla.  My meaning was the other side of the surgery but the nurse took it to mean something else and asked me if I thought something bad was going to happen.  She really gave me the what for about it because she said your mind set can have an impact on how well you will recover. 

So positive vibes and thoughts your way!!!! :)

Thank you, Danise.  Trust me, I am very confident that the surgery will be a success.  I don't think God is quite through with me yet.

And neither are we!!

Ditto!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

TTFN.

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

Hmmm...I just finished listening to the ONCE cast recording on NPR and I have to admit that I am unmoved.  I guess that one needs to actually see the show to fully appreciate it.  Right now, to me, it's just a collection of songs.  I can't garner anything of what happens on stage from what I've listened to.

That's why I'm buying the physical CD...although, the downloadable (when purchased) MP3s from Amazon include a digital booklet!  I hope that that has more information about the plot and the show itself.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know what's it all about...Alfie.

;)

I really liked the movie.  You should rent it

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »

Evening all.  Feel better vibes to DR Jennifer.

I managed to watch some of the POTO from PBS.  Sorry folks but it seems to me that when they filmed it, they did the karaoke version.  I don't know what happens but it seems like when they film these events all of the passion is gone from the show.  The same for the last Le Miz.  I guess what I'm looking for is a certain "punch" to some lines and if I don't hear that it sounds flat to me.  More like they are singing by rote than anything else.

Heard from Angies List today.  They will be sending out the help requests on Monday to local contractors.  She said that it might take some time for them to get everything done but they will keep on trying.  That's all I can ask for.   :)

Are they going to build a room big enough for your washer and dryer?

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

When I visited the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, there was a large group of Japanese tourists, probably in their 20s, on the same boat going out to the memorial.  When we out there, they all started laughing and taking pictures of each other and having a great time.  I wasn't the only person that was offended by their actions, but they didn't appear to speak any English, so it seemed pointless to say anything to them.  So, when we got back from the memorial, I walked past them and said very loudly, "Remember Hiroshima."

I have no idea if they understood me, but it made me feel better.

I can understand how they might view Pearl Harbor differently than we do.  My guess was that their age had more to do with the laughter than anything. 

But it's also a lack of respect for others

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »

Bruce,

Do you plan to do any readings of the new book in the Los Angeles area?  I'd rather buyk it up at a reading and ask you to inscribe it on the spot.

Yes, as always, the first signing and reading will be at Mystery and Imagination in Glendale, sometime in April.

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »

I love the score to MARY POPPINS, but I think FEED THE BIRDS is my favorite.

Ditto.  It's been one of my favorite songs ever since I was a kid

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »

Good morning all.  Sorry I was so short last night but that first day back at work was a monster and I was tired.

Dear TCB I don't want to hear one negative word about your surgery!  No talk of dying because THAT is NOT going to happen.  You are going to sail though it and be so much better afterwards.  I won't entertain any other thoughts on that subject! You have to go into the surgery with a positive outlook.

I remember when I went in for my breast surgery I was trying to joke and said "I'll see you on the other side" to Themla.  My meaning was the other side of the surgery but the nurse took it to mean something else and asked me if I thought something bad was going to happen.  She really gave me the what for about it because she said your mind set can have an impact on how well you will recover. 

So positive vibes and thoughts your way!!!! :)

Thank you, Danise.  Trust me, I am very confident that the surgery will be a success.  I don't think God is quite through with me yet.

And neither are we!!

Oh oh!   ::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »

I notice that DR TCB is also in good form today.

Well, I am trying (very)!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2012, 06:19:08 PM »

When I visited the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, there was a large group of Japanese tourists, probably in their 20s, on the same boat going out to the memorial.  When we out there, they all started laughing and taking pictures of each other and having a great time.  I wasn't the only person that was offended by their actions, but they didn't appear to speak any English, so it seemed pointless to say anything to them.  So, when we got back from the memorial, I walked past them and said very loudly, "Remember Hiroshima."

I can understand how they might view Pearl Harbor differently than we do.  My guess was that their age had more to do with the laughter than anything. 

Yes, I suppose that is part of it.  But before you even go to the memorial you have to watch that film that talks about how many people died, especially on the Arizona.  I would think that they would notice how solemn everyone else was at the memorial.  It is a matter of respect for the place and the people who died.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »

The plot of Once, the movie and Once the Broadway musical are basically the same. There are some tweaks to make it more theatrical and a couple of minor plot points are changed, NO SPOILER, for example, the girlfriend has gone to New York, not London. I haven't ruined anything by mentioning this, it's not worth a spoiler alert. There are also two new songs in the show that are not in the movie and I think one or two songs from the movie have been dropped altogether.

The songs really do need the movie or the show for their full emotional intensity IMHO. Having seen both I can say the songs work better than if I didn't know either.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

DR Matthew isn't the only one who went to the dentist today. And I, too, am very pleased with my new dentist. Not only do I like him, I like all the staff. It makes such a difference! My previous dentist had an assistant who seemed to think she was a drill sergeant. Like me, the new dentist had mercury toxicity and is now very knowledgeable about it. Everything in the practice is considered from the standpoint of biocompatibility. Perhaps not important to some, but necessary for the likes of me.

I'm glad you found the perfect dentist & staff!!

Jane

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »

Yes, I suppose that is part of it.  But before you even go to the memorial you have to watch that film that talks about how many people died, especially on the Arizona.  I would think that they would notice how solemn everyone else was at the memorial.  It is a matter of respect for the place and the people who died.

Then I can't say it was just shallow young people having fun in spite of the situation.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

Hmmm...I just finished listening to the ONCE cast recording on NPR and I have to admit that I am unmoved.  I guess that one needs to actually see the show to fully appreciate it.  Right now, to me, it's just a collection of songs.  I can't garner anything of what happens on stage from what I've listened to.

That's why I'm buying the physical CD...although, the downloadable (when purchased) MP3s from Amazon include a digital booklet!  I hope that that has more information about the plot and the show itself.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know what's it all about...Alfie.

;)

I really liked the movie.  You should rent it

Thanks.  I'll check Netflix when I get home. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »

Just learned that one of my favorite actresses passed away on Sunday.

Joan Taylor, star of EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS, 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH and TVs The Rifleman...plus lots of westerns...she was among my first "favorite actresses" when I was a little kid.

:'(

Mike, did you know that she was a twin...and that she and her sister probably died within hours of each other??

Very strange and sad.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

Well, I had every intention of going to an Irish whisky tasting tonight, but instead I came home and made key lime pie. Go figure.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »

Joan Taylor, star of EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS, 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH and TVs The Rifleman...plus lots of westerns...she was among my first "favorite actresses" when I was a little kid.

Mike, did you know that she was a twin...and that she and her sister probably died within hours of each other??

:(

Jane

« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »

'night

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

From what I understand the movie is different, but maybe if you rent it the songs will make more sense

I think I might have actually bought the DVD when it came out but I never got around to watching it.  I'll have to dig it out for viewing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

Very strange and sad.

Probably died?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

George

« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »

Very strange and sad.

SPOO!!  Mike's favorite actress was Joan Taylor, but I just realized that the article was for Joan Miller.  Not the same person.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, everyone. :-[

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »

So does that mean they really died or only probably died :)

George

« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »

And on that note (B-natural), I'm off to Red Robin for a free Rookie Magic® Shake (with my coupon).

Until later!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »

DR Matthew isn't the only one who went to the dentist today. And I, too, am very pleased with my new dentist. Not only do I like him, I like all the staff. It makes such a difference! My previous dentist had an assistant who seemed to think she was a drill sergeant. Like me, the new dentist had mercury toxicity and is now very knowledgeable about it. Everything in the practice is considered from the standpoint of biocompatibility. Perhaps not important to some, but necessary for the likes of me.

The dentists's assistant was a drill seargent! LOL What did you expect at the dentist?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »

Night, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

:(

George, I'm really confused.  Why do you think this is Joan Taylor?  Joan's obit says she was married and died in Santa Monica.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »

Joan Taylor, a regular on 1960s TV series The Rifleman who oversaw Hawaii Five-O following the death of her husband, series creator Leonard Freeman, died Sunday of natural causes in Santa Monica. She was 82.

Taylor played general store owner Milly Scott opposite Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford on ABC's The Rifleman for two years before leaving acting to raise a family.
Earlier, she had appeared in dozens of other TV shows, including Wagon Train, Mike Hammer, Peter Gunn, My Three Sons and 77 Sunset Strip, and in such films as The Savage (1952), War Paint (1953), Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) and 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957).
Born Rose Marie Emma in Geneva, Ill., Taylor met writer-producer Freeman in the early 1950s when both were working on a production of Here Comes Mr. Jordan at the Pasadena Playhouse, and they were married in 1953.
After Freeman’s death in January 1974 following heart surgery, Taylor managed Leonard Freeman Productions and the business of Hawaii Five-O, which ran from 1968-80 on CBS and in syndication for years afterward. CBS brought back a remake in 2010.
Taylor also co-wrote the 1997 comedy film Fools Rush In starring Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek and penned an episode of the ABC drama Family in 1979.
She also was married to TV producer-director Walter E. Grauman.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up