News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPENT  (Read 23639 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SPENT
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2004, 05:59:03 PM »

Great new avatar photos from Jason, DRJOSE, and MATTH.  Oh my we are celebrating the climb 60,000 posts with lively new photos.  And don't we all look great!

DRJOSE prepare the usual 3x5 card with a description of your books so that the "borrower" knows to bring them back, no questions asked.  

I went with some former co-workers to a small town of antique shops for browsing and eating.  Lots of the former, not so much of the latter.  Lovely weather here, warm but with a breeze.  The breeze and I were in great accord.  I bought, nothing!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2004, 06:00:03 PM »

Didn't Arnold tell the world that "Gay marriage should be between a man and a woman."?  

I don't think he's a homophobe, but like altogether too many of our elected officials, Democrat and Republican, he's not going to go out of his way to do us any favors.  
I don't know where you found that quote, Robin.  It smacks of something someone made up.

In California, it is currently against state law for two members of the same sex to marry.  This was put into the state constitution with Proposition 22.  As Governor of the state, Schwartzenegger is duty-bound to follow the laws of the state, which is why he said that marriage licences for same-sex couples issued in San Francisco were not legal.

However, as reported in the San Francisco Chronicle and in the Guardian, he is personally in support of gay marriage, and would back them if the voters in California support those marriages by changing the law.  He views this as being a states rights issue, and not one that should be determined by a national amendment.

It strikes me as odd, that Schwarzenegger is being targeted and labeled as a homophobe.  To my knowledge, he has not signed any anti-gay legislation.  He has not campaigned against gay rights, or against equal rights for any sector of society.  The question has to be asked: why is he being tarred with the homophobe label, when it doesn't apply?  Why is someone, or some group, putting this negative spin on him?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2004, 06:00:07 PM »

I wanted to bring up the movie Godzilla again, so I will.  

As I was watching this, it occurred to me that the young female lead, named Emiko and played by Momoko Kochi, was really the main character of the story.  She was a very lovely woman (and if I'm noticing it, I can only imagine the effect she has on straight guys!), with a wonderfully expressive face.  And she's terrific in the movie, as are all of the leading actors; only a bare hint of this survives into the American version.  

This really is one of the best SF movies of the fifties (and I adore fifties sci-fi movies!), but only in this version.  

Can't wait for the deeveedee.  

And La La Land Records, apparently, is releasing Akira Ifukube's original score.  Love that main title march!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

François de Paris

« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2004, 06:00:08 PM »

Good link François. Not sure what the conclusion is and I would assume it is written by an American.
Language changes even here - the words borrow and lend are often interchangeable. So many children say "Can I lend your pencil" when of course they mean "May I borrow your pencil".
Most common errors here - I think as a result of lazy pronunciation by Australians in general -are where "have" is replaced by "of" in the expressions "could have" and "would have" etc. Australians tend to say "could've" which to the listener is "could of". Fascinating. No! But it keeps the home fries burning.

There you are!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2004, 06:00:16 PM »

Page Six Dance!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2004, 06:02:01 PM »

Ah yes the original GOJIRA is a much better movie.  And the music IS great.  There is of course a CD of GODZILLA music available.

Robin

« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2004, 06:03:25 PM »

I don't know where you found that quote, Robin.  It smacks of something someone made up.

http://www.queerday.com/archives/002252.html

Nope.  He actually said it.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 06:04:09 PM by Robin »

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2004, 06:05:36 PM »

A Eurovison Song contest reference. Thank you JRand.
It was Eurovision that gave "River Dance" to the world. It was a less than 10 minute entertainment during the voting when the contest was held in Dublin.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2004, 06:16:04 PM »

As we enjoy a cigarette.
To some exquisite chansonette....
Two hands are sure to shyly meet beneath
A serviette
With cocktails for two.

Them Frinch songs is elegant, ain't they?

Robin

« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2004, 06:16:12 PM »

However, as reported in the San Francisco Chronicle and in the Guardian, he is personally in support of gay marriage, and would back them if the voters in California support those marriages by changing the law.  He views this as being a states rights issue, and not one that should be determined by a national amendment.

It strikes me as odd, that Schwarzenegger is being targeted and labeled as a homophobe.  To my knowledge, he has not signed any anti-gay legislation.  He has not campaigned against gay rights, or against equal rights for any sector of society.  The question has to be asked: why is he being tarred with the homophobe label, when it doesn't apply?  Why is someone, or some group, putting this negative spin on him?

For the record, I don't think Schwarzenegger is a homophobe.  

However, though he says he's personally for gay marriage, I doubt he's going to actually do anything to get any pro-gay marriage legislation across.  He's not going to sign any gay pride proclamations or march in any Pride Parades this year.  Like so many of our elected officials (Republican or Democrat!), he simply doesn't have the courage to stand up for GLBT folks.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2004, 06:16:47 PM »

And actually, DRTOM, although the show is longer, is still actually contains about 10 minutes of entertainment!

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2004, 06:19:29 PM »

Agreed JRand!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2004, 06:21:37 PM »

Question for BK!

Have you ever thought of writing books for children?
Dame Julie does it; you can do it too.... and Mr Tony Walton would do the illustrations!

How's that?!

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2004, 06:22:30 PM »

Was that Spike Lee or Spike Jones. I always get them confused François.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2004, 06:30:33 PM »

Love the ads at the top of the page! I suppose it could have been Arnie movies instead.
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »

Was that Spike Lee or Spike Jones. I always get them confused François.

Or was it Spike Jones or Spike Jonze?

Robin

« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2004, 06:43:51 PM »

By the way, I'm so impressed with the un-Americanized Godzilla, I pulled out the BK-produced Monster Mania! CD and gave it a few spins in the car player today.  

There's a lotta great music in these Kaiju flicks...!

Jason

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2004, 06:44:31 PM »

I wonder how MBarnum's day was at the nakey beach...? I do hope he gives details.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2004, 07:01:51 PM »

Yes, I do have an idea for a children's book, and I'd already thought of Mr. Walton do illustrate.  But first, I have another novel to write - have been formulating the idea and taking scads of notes for the last few weeks.  I'll also have news pretty soon about my latest, the mystery novel.

All the original Godzilla soundtracks have been available in Japan (and easy to import) for years.  Footlight usually has them in stock.  I have every single one of them, and also Mothra and Rodan.  Also all the new ones from the eighties on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2004, 07:02:47 PM »

Bark Clackamore said we were to NEVER mention the ads.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2004, 07:04:55 PM »

I am watching THE QUIET MAN....referenced in Stone In His Pockets.  Such a fun movie....Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne were such a good movie pair!  And the Irish extras were terrific!  And the color!

What...what...what....does she whisper in his ear at the end of the movie?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2004, 07:12:17 PM »

Great new avatar photos from Jason, DRJOSE, and MATTH.  Oh my we are celebrating the climb 60,000 posts with lively new photos.  And don't we all look great!

DRJOSE prepare the usual 3x5 card with a description of your books so that the "borrower" knows to bring them back, no questions asked.  

DR Jrand - Thank you.  -But what do I do with that "usual 3x5" card?  I can tell you what I'd like to do with it, but this is a family site... :-X

Again, I'm hoping that someone in the studio just borrowed them for a while - maybe even to (ssshhh) copy them - or at least copy the performance notes.  Worst case scenario is that someone from outside of the studio took them, but since I also had a copy of the Franck Violin Sonata (also in Henle) and the collection of Stephen Hough's R&H Transcriptions (with the price tag of $34.00(!) still on it - ah, those imports), it "sounds" to me like another piano student may be baby-sitting them for me right now.  If they're not back by the end of next week, I'll check with the office and/or my teacher to see who's currently enrolled, and then start making some phone calls.  In the meantime, I have been wanting to pick out a Beethoven sonata, some Chopin, as well as relearn some of my favorite Debussy and Ravel.  Oh, and the scales too - and the arpeggios (which I do need to get back under my fingers).
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2004, 07:17:41 PM »

Nothing much to say, but I'll post anyway.  Hey, that rhymed!
Still feeling lousy, but not quite as lousy as before.
There is nothing whatsoever to watch on TV, so I decided to throw in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  Great movie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2004, 07:20:27 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from my walk...

Cookies: Those Archway Home Style cookies were still on sale so... Windmill Cookies and Frosty Lemon.

Ice Cream:  Got into Bev's before the post-movie rush from across the street came in.  Whew!  -The simple pleasures of Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.  A large scoop.  In a waffle cone.  All gone!

I got a little worried when I left the house... The skies were getting a little stormy looking.  However I couldn't really tell if the clouds were getting darker and/or if the sky was just getting darker as the sun was setting and the moon was rising.  The wind even picked up now and then.  Thankfully, no rain ever started falling from the skies.  However, I did walk a little faster than usual.  -And that's why I went ahead and got a large scoop and the waffle cone.  ;)

-I did have a few false alarms - I would feel some drops of water on my arm every now and then... I was just walking underneath someone's window A/C unit... Whew!

So, now I'm watching and taping (for DR Jason) "Trading Spaces"...  All I will say for now is: Gumballs!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2004, 07:29:02 PM »

Oh, I was thinking you could tape it to the door or the music holder....or put one on the bulletin board in the hall.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2004, 07:33:56 PM »

OMG Hilda Santo-Tomas should be fired from Trading Spaces and banned from decorating ANY room in anyone's house.  I cannot imagine after her horrible designs that ANYONE would call her to do anything!

She is out of control, an egomaniac, and completely untalented.

Heheheheh.  I love the internet!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2004, 07:38:25 PM »

OMG Hilda Santo-Tomas should be fired from Trading Spaces and banned from decorating ANY room in anyone's house.  I cannot imagine after her horrible designs that ANYONE would call her to do anything!

She is out of control, an egomaniac, and completely untalented.

Heheheheh.  I love the internet!

Of course, the "scary" thing about Hildy is that when she does a beautiful room - and she has done some truly beautiful room, imho - they really are beautiful.  -Did I really just use "beautiful" three times in that sentence.

However, tonight's room... I can't wait to see the finish project... And the homeowners' reactions.  Guaranteed to be an interesting "verdict". ;) :o
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2004, 08:00:47 PM »

The gumball room isn't the one with the cardboard furniture, is it? That was frightening.

Michael

« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2004, 08:12:02 PM »

BK recorded a song called Silverware on Unsung Musicals. I have yet to hear a song called Cutlery
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »

I ate some ice cream a little while ago and now can't stop shivering...Grrrrrrr (that's me shivering, not growling)...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up