News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPENT  (Read 23463 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPENT
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:59:50 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, having read the notes you are now spent, but not spent enough that you can't post until the spent cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 12:04:36 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SPENT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 12:21:25 AM »

TOD:

Of the current crop of action films (meaning, those released since I became an adult):

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Die Hard
Goldeneye

And, with a totally different sense of pacing, from a totally different generation:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn).

(Edited for spelling)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:22:59 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 12:27:54 AM »

Best action movies include the James Bond movies, Indiana Jones series and Matrix series, although I don't really understand that much about the action particularly with the burrowing machines etc.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

BEEKAY

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »

and I agree with DR S Woody White about the Die harder movies too

BEEKAY

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 12:30:42 AM »

I have really gone off Arnold Swartz... since he's become governor of California...is he really such a homophobic pig as he's portrayed?

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:33:10 AM »

The Matrix had me in a totally "No go zone". Didn't really follow the concept and far too much pace in the camera angles etc for me. Loved the Indiana Jones films.
For a fast action film that I enjoy - "Run Lola Run" was great.

I think the last Bond Movie I really enjoyed was "Never Say Never". Of course it had a Lani Hall theme song so I was bound to like it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 12:40:17 AM »

I can claim to have never seen an Arnie film! Don't think I have seen a Stallone film either.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:40:45 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

BEEKAY

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 12:42:35 AM »

not much on Stallone either

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 12:45:21 AM »

Looking forward to David Wenham movie on TV tomorrow night Beekay. Wenham was the only thing that was good about Van Helsing. A scene stealer.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 12:47:02 AM »

DR Jed must be waiting for young ladies from the East Coast to make an appearance!
James Thurber 1957

BEEKAY

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 12:51:22 AM »

think David Wenham is such a good actor...Not too hard on the eyes either. Loved him in ist series of Sea Change and also the movie he played a released prisoner...can't remember the title of that one...something about the Boys???

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 12:52:01 AM »

I'm not sure what an action film is anymore.  Can I say Gunga Din?  My favourite adventure film of all time is the one Woody mentioned Adventures of Robin Hood.

BK, what's the play you're directing?  Stop teasing us by withholding the title.  The Hudson Theatre is close by, guess I'll be there for your opening.  Is it already cast?  Is it musical?

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 12:57:09 AM »

Know the movie Beekay but can't remember the title - reviews were great (AFI awards I think) but I did not catch it.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 12:59:39 AM »

DR Jed must be waiting for young ladies from the East Coast to make an appearance!

No no!  I was merely taking my time catching up on yesterday's posts!

...while chatting with young ladies from the east coast...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 01:02:46 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 01:00:33 AM »

It was called "The Boys" Beekay. I guess his appearance in LOTR has now led him on to an international audience. He was also in "The Bank" with Anthony Lapaglia.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 01:01:48 AM »

Does your father approve Jed?
And do you have any good news to share. Remember emigration is still an option.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »

I'm sure my father is quite proud of his son's nefarious ways.  No news yet, but a promising lead that popped up today, so hopefully some news down the road.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2004, 01:08:10 AM »

Best of OZ vibes Jed.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2004, 02:02:19 AM »

I can't reveal the title for a few more days, for various reasons.  I can say it's a straight play, a three-hander, a serio-comedy by a current writer of both stage and screen.  It is cast - Tammy Minoff, and two young men whose names I will post in the next day or so.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004, 02:45:27 AM »

Actions film I have really enjoyed

The Matrix
Aliens
Termiantor 2
A Better Tomorrow
The Killer
Once a Thief

The last three are John Woo films made in Hong Kong and starring Chow Yun Fat
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2004, 02:46:18 AM »

Wasn;t Paycheck a remake of Total Recall but not down a a science fiction film?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 02:51:27 AM »

Like to add Hard Boiled another John Woo film with Chow Yun Fat. His unique style at the time (since ripped off) was unique. His films were well paced action thrillers and exciting to watch.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2004, 03:33:29 AM »

Well, DRs, it's 3:15 in the a.m. and I'm UP. Fell into bed at 11:30, exhausted and fell asleep quickly. ...And woke at 3, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed or whatever one is at 3.

Re yesterday's notes, FS Pogues mentioned AMBER'S and bk responded with
 "Amber's - wonderful place with great Broasted Potatoes.  Gone."
Well, I haven't thought about Amber's in a coon's age (whatever that is) - but in my other life, when we first moved to LA in 1989 and were living at the Oakwood while renovations were done on the huge and eventually much hated house we had purchased (a few doors down from the Jackson compound in Encino) - we ate a lot of Amber's delish fried chicken and those great broasted spuds. Yum. ...Well, that was a trip down Memory Lane (or Abee Lane) and I'm now almost tired enough to return to bed. ...But now I'm thinking of Xavier Cugat and dancing...

Panni

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 03:38:35 AM »

Okay - I have a question - do VAMPIRES bite on the upper thigh? This isn't just a random query. I woke a few days ago with two huge bites on the upper thigh. They didn't itch, but hurt like hell. Now they've become quite red with what look like ugly bite puncture marks in the middle. Hmmm... Come to think of it, I woke up very thirsty at 3 a.m., as mentioned above. Not for blood - but that may follow.

Panni

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2004, 03:58:25 AM »

Just one more comment and then to back to bed...

bk - I'm surprised that being a native of LA, you haven't seen out-of-car-vomiting before. I've always thought of it as a particularly LA phenomenon. People spend so much time in cars that it's bound to happen. In the other life I mentioned in one of the above posts, when driving DD to school early in the mornings, we used to go through routes on the backstreets going toward Mulholland. We'd regularly see people vomiting out of their cars after a hard night out. Rachel even used to identify "the vomit guy's street" and other disgusting places. Just thought I'd share.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 04:02:24 AM »

As I recall, FACE/OFF, directed by Mr. John Woo, was sort of weirdly fun. More action flicks later. To bed before it's time to get up.

Jason

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2004, 04:31:37 AM »

Well, Dear Readers, here it is--7 o'clock in the morning on a Saturday and I'm fully awake! I guess I fell asleep last night around 8:30 and I slept all the way through!Wow. Anyway, I'm gonna get my hair cut in a couple of hours, then it's off to the City to do some clothes shopping and I might even treat myself to a movie. Isn't that exciting? Isn't it just too too?

TCB: I had the exact same thing happen with my AOL account. I even had people IMing me asking me who the hell I was and why I was sending them emails (a few of them actually went through). I changed my password and then did a spyware/adware sweep and a virus check. It hasn't happened since then.

Robin

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2004, 04:59:52 AM »

Some of my favorite action movies:

I love Jackie Chan, especially his Hong Kong chop socky fests, like Police Story, Police Story 2 and Supercop: Police Story 3.  The two Project A flicks are great, too.  Oh, and Armour of God, Jackie's version of an Indiana Jones movie.

John Woo was also better in Hong Kong, before he Went Hollywood.  My favorite Woo flick is called Bullet in the Head.  Subtle, huh?

Both Woo and Chan did their best stuff in their homeland.  These movies are entertainingly non-American, it's almost disappointing to see them (and Chow Yun-Fat) in American-made films.

And I must confess...I think I was the only person on Earth that liked Arnold Schwarzenegger's Last Action Hero.  

Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2004, 05:01:08 AM »

Good morning all!

Well I need to get going, but first my comments on the notes.

I am not really a big action movie fan.  But I'm sure I'll come up with at least a few that I enjoyed.

I have heard of Paycheck.  It actually got a fair amount of press when it was released.  I hope to rent it on dvd soon.

I also want to see the chick flicks: 50 First Dates and Along Came Polly.

Has anybody seen either of those?

Robin

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2004, 05:02:27 AM »

Oh, and unless I'm mistaken:

The title of today's Daily Column just may be the shortest Daily Column title I can remember.  

Short 'n' sweet!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up