Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FATHER'S DAY  (Read 18186 times)

MBarnum

Re:FATHER'S DAY
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2004, 04:33:15 AM »

Wow, so many posts to read through from Saturday!

It is now 4:30 in the a.m. Just got home from my wild Saturday and I am beat! I wasn't  tired when I got home at first but now that I have sat down I am getting sleepy!

Panni, I am familiar with the word serviette as it was used a few times in the old Three Stooges shorts from the 1930s...but I can't recall anyone in the real world ever using the word.

Lovely new avatars of the DRs!

DR Robin, I agree that Momoko Kochi was a fantastic actress! I have always adored her, particularly in Gojira. She was good on The Mysterians as well and she pops up in one of the more recent Godzilla films...can't recall which one just now. She passed away a couple of years ago of, I think, stomach cancer.

JRand53, that was a cool picture of the Guy Haines Fan club and I remember those days well...golly we were a swell looking bunch back then!

OK, must get to bed. I am beat and spent. Who knows when I will awaken! But see you all in a few hours!

Robin

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2004, 05:09:09 AM »

My favorite Charles Laughton performance is barely contained in the movie Island of Lost Souls, based on HG Wells' novel The Island of Dr. Moreau.  It's also one of the best horror movies ever made.  

He's also great in Sign of the Cross.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2004, 05:52:09 AM »

Hmmm scented pillows are certainly an interesting idea...

A very happy Father's Day to those up above who merit the title, nomeclature, description blah blah
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2004, 06:50:30 AM »

Happy Father's day to all the HHW fathers.

Re: last night's Trading Spaces

Which episode were you guys watching?  The new 9pm episode had Edward and Frank.  And it was quite interesting because Edward's team changed his entire design.

What did the final rooms with Hildy look like?

And btw, I am a HUGE Hildy fan.  I think she'f fantastic.

Yes, she does a few that I am not crazy about (the records on the walls, the feathers, the cardboard furniture).  But when she's not being crazy, she is an amazing designer.  And I'd love to have her work on my house.

Besides Vern (who is gone) and Laurie, Hildy is my favorite!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2004, 07:24:14 AM »

I have just finished mowing the grass, and I'm burning up. I wanted to get it done before the temperature got too hellish hot, but even at 78, it was too hot to be outside doing YARD work. Ugh!

I lost my dad in 2000, but I did take some time this morning to meditate about him and remember some of the good times we had.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2004, 07:28:32 AM »

Absolutely adore Charles Laughton who could do more with the flicker of an eye than most actors do with their entire bodies AND voices. In addition to the movies already mentioned, I also like him in things like THE BIG CLOCK, IT STARTED WITH EVE, THE PARADINE CASE, HOBSON'S CHOICE (simply magnificent). He also reprised his Henry VIII in YOUNG BESS and stole the film from everyone else in his few scenes.

And need we mention his masterpiece of direction in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER?

The man was underappreciated during his lifetime. One of the most poignant things I read in one of the first biographies of him was that as he was dying and drifting in and out of consciousness, he was convinced he was nominated for an Oscar for ADVISE AND CONSCENT (he should have been). Going to your death thinking about an Oscar; obviously he craved acceptance of his peers more and more as he grew older.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2004, 07:35:55 AM »

In honor of Father's Day, I was going to watch the Spencer Tracy FATHER OF THE BRIDE but realized I don't have it on DVD yet. All I have is a videotape copied of TCM several years ago on a faulty VCR where the image jumps around and is unacceptable. I know what I'll be ordering today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2004, 08:45:51 AM »

Good Morning!  (again)

Well, it is absolutely effing gorgeous right now in Richmond, VA!  I just got back from brunch at Sidewalk - and with Edwina - and I'm just trying to decide what to do with my afternoon.  A walk is indeed in order, but it's just a question of where.  Maybe I'll finally explore the "ri-vah" today, or just take my good ole Carytown walk.  *If I go the Carytown route, I can also pick up some french pastries at Jean-Jacques for my afternoon snack. ;)  Or I could get in my car, head out west and go shopping!  Hmm...

-I do want to head up to school and get some practicing in today too... And, hopefully, find my missing music back on the piano.  But if they're not back... Hmm...  -And the walk up to school is a good mile too, so that'll help "even out" the big omelet I had at brunch.

DR Jennifer - Hildy did a "gumball inspired" room last night on the 10:00 show.  I thought it was a new episode; if it wasn't, it was new to me.  It was the one with the wrapping paper on the walls and the paint cans on the ceiling.  -Yes, that's what I said.  So...  My head is still a little cloudy right now, but I think Hildy was on both the 9:00 and 10:00 episodes last night.  ...Or maybe not...  In any case, it was the "gumball room".  *Oh, but the homeowners liked it.  -I'll have to check the website for any follow-up.  **OH!  Are you in a different time zone?  Could "my" 10:00 episode, been your 9:00 episode?  -Thus, the possible confusion.

DR MBarnum - Remember, we want details... and pictures!!!  Especially of the "nakey beach".  Or feel free to post more random pics of your studly, hunky self.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2004, 08:50:28 AM »

Pillows florentine.  Brisket pillows.  Country Fried Steak pillows.  Meatloaf pillows.  

Does Jim Steinman know about the Meatloaf Pillows?

Hot patootie, bless my soul!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2004, 08:50:43 AM »

And since it's Free-for-All Day:

Does anyone have an aversion - or at least an uncomfortable reaction - to the word "moist"?

I'm only asking since I seem to be coming across people - mainly actor types - who really seem to not like that word no matter what the connotation, if any.  There was even an un-official moratorium on the word, "moist", during the Children of Eden rehearsals.

-Just wunderin'...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2004, 08:52:58 AM »

To Whom it May Concern:

I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I have had enough of crime
I will be the one who loves you
Until the end of time

If you are the desert, I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger - hunger for me
Whatever you ask for, that's what I'll be

So when you remember the ones who have lied
Who said that they cared
But then laughed as you cried
Beautiful darling, don't think of me

Because all I ever wanted
It's in your eyes baby, baby
And love can't lie, no...
(Greet me with the eyes of a child)
My love is always telling me so
(Heaven is a kiss and a smile)
Just hold on, hold on
I won't let you go, my baby

Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I have had enough of crime
So I am gonna love you
Until the end of time
I will be your father
I will be your preacher
I'll be your daddy
I will be the one who loves you
Until the end of time

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2004, 08:53:50 AM »

DR Jennifer - Hildy did a "gumball inspired" room last night on the 10:00 show.  I thought it was a new episode; if it wasn't, it was new to me.  It was the one with the wrapping paper on the walls and the paint cans on the ceiling.  -Yes, that's what I said.  So...  My head is still a little cloudy right now, but I think Hildy was on both the 9:00 and 10:00 episodes last night.  ...Or maybe not...  In any case, it was the "gumball room".  *Oh, but the homeowners liked it.  -I'll have to check the website for any follow-up.  **OH!  Are you in a different time zone?  Could "my" 10:00 episode, been your 9:00 episode?  -Thus, the possible confusion.

I am on the East Coast.  The 9pm episode is always the new one (and last night it was Edward and Frank, no Hildy).

The Hildy gumball room was a repeat, although I cannot rememeber exactly what it looked like.  I do however remember the paint cans on the ceiling. :)

Sometimes I wonder if Hildy just wants to be Hildy when she does those crazy rooms.  I mean everyone expects them.  So she probably gets some joy out of trying crazy new things.

Also, because she is occasionally crazy, whenever she does a great room, the home owners act shocked.  Even though if you think about it she probably does 5 great rooms for every crazy one! :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2004, 08:55:26 AM »

I worked for a company called WAMSUTTA. We manufactured Sheets,Pillowcases,Comforters etc.

At a Sales Meeting, we kiddingly commented on the fact that almost everything that was on the Menu in Restaurants were Stuffed with Crabmeat.

We decided to stuff our Comforters with Crabmeat.

The Reason...If the product didn't sell--We could eat our inventory.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2004, 08:57:01 AM »

Well we celebrated Father's Day already.  We had blueberry pancakes.  We ended up giving my dad some Arnold Palmer clothes.  He loves Arnold Palmer clothes (because everything has the appropriate pockets).  I wasn't sure if he was going to want to keep the stuff.  But he seemed happy.  So he got Arnold Palmer jean shorts and an Arnold Palmer jersey/shirt.

My favorite part was when he thanked my sister's hubby (who had never seen said clothes).  Hmmm, come to think of it my sis didn't see them either. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2004, 08:58:01 AM »

Sorry, no chat for me tonight. SIX FEET UNDER in high definition at 9.

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2004, 08:59:01 AM »

This one's for Panni and tomovoz:

Two kangaroo shooters, way out the back of Bourke. Their ute breaks down. They do the right thing – stay with it. But no one comes along. So they decide to walk out. The temperature is 40 plus C. After 2 days, they’re on their last drop of radiator water when they climb a rise and find, nailed to a tree, a sign saying MERCY, POPULATION 12. In the distance, a collection of ramshackle tin huts. They arrive. One hut is identified as a café. They enter. A lady appears, very proper. “Yis”, she says.

“Bring us a drink, luv. Make it long and quick.”

“We only serve one thing here.”

“What’s that?”

“Koala tea.”

“Well, bring it luv, only make it quick!”

She brings it, and she is not kidding. Pathetic little paws grip the edge of the billy and little furry ears poke through the murky surface. Well, kangaroo shooters are pretty tough but they’re not this tough. They look at each other and beg the woman to “take it away please, and strain it.”

“What?” she says, “The Koala Tea of Mercy is not strained.”

Michael

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2004, 09:00:58 AM »

Love Charles Laughton and only wish he'd been alive when I became friends with Elsa L.  Love him in Witness for the Prosecution, in which he delivers a brilliant performance.  He's one of the highlights of Spartacus, too.  

Do tell us more about you and Elsa L.
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2004, 09:02:04 AM »

. .and since there IS NO GROANING on HHW:

There is a traditional sport in Ireland, called "Cliff Shoving". It involves a small local rodent called a rarie (which is similar to a lemming) being pushed off a cliff.
The aim of the game is to see who can get the poor animal to go over the edge with the least amount of effort.
Of course, these days people aren't so keen on blood sports, and the animal rights people wouldn't like it either, so it's changed from a cliff into a small shallow pit that the rodents are pushed into.
This in turn has made it much easier to get the animals to jump, to the point where, with a properly trained rarie, it takes barely a touch to get it into the pit.
The sport is mostly based only in Ireland, but they do get the occasional overseas competitor. Recently, they had a fellow come all the way from Australia to take part.
During a break, he mentioned that he'd had a eighteen hour journey to get there.
"But I guess I always knew it would be a long flight," he said. "After all, it's a long way to tip a rarie."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2004, 09:04:13 AM »

As for food-scented pillows...  Well, I guess it could just be the next "natural" step in the whole aroma-therapy arena.  They already have candles scented like cakes, pies and cookies... why not full entrees?  -And Neiman-Marcus has had that full Thanksgiving Dinner in popcorn(!) for a couple of years now - turkey with gravy, stuffing (or dressing if you prefer), cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie flavored popcorn(s)!
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2004, 09:08:34 AM »

oi vey what a weekend. Cleaning the apartment. Putting in three new closets. buying the wood for the new bookshelves. throwing lots of stuff into the recycling bins. And its not over yet. This week coming will see the building of those bookcases, staining them and then filling them up with books, cds and what nots. Still to come buying that new desk and Bit by bit putting it together
Piece by piece, only way to make a new desk.

Thanks for letting me vent
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2004, 09:10:25 AM »

And for the Dog Lovers, or "and one for Mahler:"

SIR LANCELOT: A horse! A horse! I must have a horse! King Arthur is in dire trouble!
INNKEEPER: Oh, valiant knight, I must apologize. That old dog sleeping by the fireplace is the only animal I possess.
SIR LANCELOT: Very well then, innkeeper I will take him!
INNKEEPER: No, sir, I couldn't allow it. I wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this!

http://petcare.umn.edu/Fun&Games/DogJokes.htm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 09:10:53 AM by td »

Michael

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2004, 09:10:39 AM »

On the plus side I am reading Jewish Thighs On Broadway. I'm really enjoying it. Not what I expected, but thats why. I think the parents in this novel must be related to Benjamin Kritzer's. Full report when I am finished.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2004, 09:11:33 AM »

And for the Dog Lovers, or "and one for Mahler:"

SIR LANCELOT: A horse! A horse! I must have a horse! King Arthur is in dire trouble!
INNKEEPER: Oh, valiant knight, I must apologize. That old dog sleeping by the fireplace is the only animal I possess.
SIR LANCELOT: Very well then, innkeeper I will take him!
INNKEEPER: No, sir, I couldn't allow it. I wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this!

http://petcare.umn.edu/Fun&Games/DogJokes.htm

Are we allowed to groan?
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2004, 09:11:34 AM »

Seeing purple:  The Color Purple Musical on its way to a debut in Atlanta.

You have to register, but it's a very interesting article.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/arts/content/arts/0604/20purple.html?urac=n&urvf=10877471346758.10740167456192E-5
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 09:13:03 AM by Jennifer »

Michael

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2004, 09:12:36 AM »

and talking of groaning

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2004, 09:14:09 AM »

My favorite groaner

Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2004, 09:17:24 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/20/movies/20PURD.html

NY Times: Cole Porter's Two Biopics? They're Night and Day

Re: Kevin Kline in De-Lovely, I found this passage very interesting:

To preserve Mr. Kline's ability to act such emotional songs, instead of just sing them, Mr. Winkler let him record them live on the set, instead of lip-synching to a prerecorded track, which is standard practice in movie musicals. The result is an unusual intimacy, in which a filmgoer feels more like an eavesdropper, and the usual postmodern Hollywood worry about whether audiences will accept characters bursting into song evaporates.

"When we did the movie of `Pirates of Penzance,' I was driven fairly mad," Mr. Kline recalled. "I said: `How can you act when you're having to lip-sync, and how can we prerecord it when we don't know exactly how it'll be performed? What if I'm hanging upside down?' They said that's how film musicals have always been done, and I said, `Well, it's wrong!' "

I've always wondered why every movie musical wasn't done this way.  

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2004, 09:18:28 AM »

Someone else's favorite groaner:

td

• td
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2004, 09:19:13 AM »

Watch out for camels, THEY SPIT!

Michael

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2004, 09:19:36 AM »

Has anyone ever read David Gerrold's sci-fi novel The Man Who Folded Himself?
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up