Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR THE BIRDS  (Read 47724 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FOR THE BIRDS
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

Celebrity sighting here at Jerry's Deli: Paul Michael glaser

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »

From DR Jennifer:
I liked it okay. I won it on goodreads. It probably would not have been something i would have chosen otherwise. Not really what i read. I do not think I would consider it YA or dystopian. But it has been a while since i read it. I am sure if you look on goodreads it would tell you what category they would put it in. Maybe fantasy.

I got it free from Nook Friday & agree it was ok.  Reading the descriptions for dystopian I wasn't sure if it was a fit.  Thanks for clarifying it for me. 

If you click on my goodreads account you can see what i wrote about it. I wrote a pretty detailed "review". I can't remember everything about the book. But i just saw in my review that there was something about the ending that i did not care for.

I found it and pretty much agreed.  I was ok with the ending though I had expected something different.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »

I don't know about the U.S. but in the U.K. today is a holiday. Holidays in Europe are lengthy and this one has been going on since Thursday afternoon.

What is the holiday?

Easter Monday?

Here the schools are off today and tomorrow for easter.

I don't know why spring break was so early here.  Of course because it was early the weather was lousy during the break & nice while everyone is back to school.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »

DR Jane, Wither is one of my most favorite dystopians. Loved it. I gave it 5/5. I can't say enough good things about it. I love love love the author Lauren DeStefano.

Before deciding on it I did check the rating you gave it.  I'll likely have time for it in about a month or two.  I have a number of books I've purchased that I want to read & am expecting 4 more from the library.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »

I hope the one in the Valley is tons better than the horrible one in Westwood.  It can't be if they get their bread from the same place. :P

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

No word yet on the hospital releasing Mom to rehab.  It may be that they will keep her there for a few days more because they increased her thyroid meds dosage and because they are so taken by her wit.

~~~Additional Vibes for Dan (the Man)'s Mom!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

From DR George:
The frosting was vanilla and the cupcakes turned out to be just vanilla, also.

I've never had vegan vanilla cupcakes.  I would like to have had one. :)

Jane, I could get the recipe from my sister and send that to you. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »

From DR Jennifer:
I liked it okay. I won it on goodreads. It probably would not have been something i would have chosen otherwise. Not really what i read. I do not think I would consider it YA or dystopian. But it has been a while since i read it. I am sure if you look on goodreads it would tell you what category they would put it in. Maybe fantasy.

I got it free from Nook Friday & agree it was ok.  Reading the descriptions for dystopian I wasn't sure if it was a fit.  Thanks for clarifying it for me. 

If you click on my goodreads account you can see what i wrote about it. I wrote a pretty detailed "review". I can't remember everything about the book. But i just saw in my review that there was something about the ending that i did not care for.

I found it and pretty much agreed.  I was ok with the ending though I had expected something different.

I only vaguely remember the ending since it's been 1-2 years since i read the book.

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

DR Jane, Wither is one of my most favorite dystopians. Loved it. I gave it 5/5. I can't say enough good things about it. I love love love the author Lauren DeStefano.

Before deciding on it I did check the rating you gave it.  I'll likely have time for it in about a month or two.  I have a number of books I've purchased that I want to read & am expecting 4 more from the library.

Just because i loved it doesn't mean you necessarily will. But a lot of YA lovers seem to love it.

However there was another dystopia i mentioned on the list. Shatter ME. this was probably the most publicized dystopia last year (other than Divergent). It was so well praised that i think i might have been expecting more. So who knows. So many people loved that book and thought it was the best thing they'd ever read (Shatter me). You just never know. Different things appeal to different people.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

From DR George:
The frosting was vanilla and the cupcakes turned out to be just vanilla, also.

I've never had vegan vanilla cupcakes.  I would like to have had one. :)

Jane, I could get the recipe from my sister and send that to you. :)

Sure, thanks.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

Just because i loved it doesn't mean you necessarily will. But a lot of YA lovers seem to love it.

However there was another dystopia i mentioned on the list. Shatter ME. this was probably the most publicized dystopia last year (other than Divergent). It was so well praised that i think i might have been expecting more. So who knows. So many people loved that book and thought it was the best thing they'd ever read (Shatter me). You just never know. Different things appeal to different people.

The plot of "Wither" appealed to me where the others really didn't so I figure it will be a good one for me to read.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

I've finished my ROBERTA notes for Act One, which will hopefully put things on track. My absence from the restoration - because of DEAREST ENEMY, Toyland closing down, a new office, an auction, and other things - is nt making things easy for my colleagues.

Now I've got to look over some of Joshie's new scores for DEAREST ENEMY before I jump to THE ONLY GIRL, which has one of Herbert's most beautiful songs, "When You're Away." This is the second conductor I've worked for - john McGlinn was the first - with no music theory training and no ability to proofread and know a good note from a bad. Drives me mad. Leasrn your craft.
If they don't know their craft or music theory, how do (and why do) they become conductors?

Ego and control, I suspect.
Reminds me of that Fellini movie, "Orchestra Rehearsal," where the musicians rebel against a dictator conductor. Not one of his best, but the idea was intriguing.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »

Im at the aeroport waiting for my flight back to the USA.
Safe home.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »

Being English my mother loved nursery rhymes & had fun teaching them to me.  I don't think any of them scared me.  I like the ones that had games to go with them beginning with the one most of us play first, "Pat a Cake Pat a Cake"

I found this link that explains the origins of the various nursery rhymes....http://www.rhymes.org.uk/

John G.

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

Thanks, Elmore, for mentioning the Library of Congress recordings site. I've found plenty of works to go with my papers. They may be scratchy and weak on the sound, but that just adds to the charm.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

I hate organizing!!!

Off to finish cleaning out one messy drawer full of papers.  Keith, who is working outside, said he would change jobs with me.  The drawer would be easy for him, he would simply trash everything in it, at least all of the papers.

Laura

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »

Somehow I don't feel comfortable being asked to send our SS numbers, signatures, DOBs and all that other personal stuff over the innerwebs. Just doesn't seem very secure to me.

I don't mind doing the e-filing that is included in Turbo Tax because of the encryption involved.  I would be more hesitant to use the state tax websites where you plunk your info into web forms because I don't know how protected they are.

I have been well-trained by my son to never click on a link in an email unless I know the friend actually sent it, not to open any forwarded email, and to never send my SS number or credit card number through an email.

Why never open forwarded email?  (seriously wondering)

Most of them are trash. I used to get a ton from a few people from church until I told them I never open them so please don't send them. I hurt some feelings, I suppose.

If I get something from someone I know well -- like The Monarch Scientist or something from my DH, I will open that. Just not the chain things and inspirational things.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

DP Eric and his homemade Bunny "peep" and homemade chocolate egg as part of the dessert buffet at yesterdays Easter lunch/dinner at the 4S's.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »

That is one big bunny Peep in a large chocolate egg. :D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

Weren't we with him a few months ago in Chicago?

You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

Somehow I don't feel comfortable being asked to send our SS numbers, signatures, DOBs and all that other personal stuff over the innerwebs. Just doesn't seem very secure to me.

I don't mind doing the e-filing that is included in Turbo Tax because of the encryption involved.  I would be more hesitant to use the state tax websites where you plunk your info into web forms because I don't know how protected they are.

I have been well-trained by my son to never click on a link in an email unless I know the friend actually sent it, not to open any forwarded email, and to never send my SS number or credit card number through an email.

Why never open forwarded email?  (seriously wondering)

Most of them are trash. I used to get a ton from a few people from church until I told them I never open them so please don't send them. I hurt some feelings, I suppose.

I used to tell people the same thing.  Now I have given up.  At least they leave comments so I know it isn't spam.  Forwarded messages are usually very slopping with nothing cleaned up & everyone's name & address also forwarded.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »

Weren't we with him a few months ago in Chicago?

I'm going to Chicago next month.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

This is the first time I have read about the dogs of the Titanic:
http://news.yahoo.com/dogs-titanic-untold-story-163100569.html

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

Nice picture DR MATTHEW.

Travel vibes for DR MIKE

Continued vibes for DR TCB.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

I'm a little surprised that Guy Haines hasn't been asked to sing on any of elmore's albums - not that he could afford him :)

BK, at some point, when I know I've got the right role for Guy, he'll get a call. I suspect he'd turn down the paltry pay, but I'm not the financial side of things. I've got nothing for him in DEAREST ENEMY, since he's neither Irish nor British. I could have used Rollo!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:52:36 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

Well, the office is falling into place. Thamks for the vibes and keep 'em coming. i hope to have good news by the end of the week.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »

I just received four, count 'em FOUR CDs today!  Fortunately, I actually ordered them, so it's a good thing.  Anyway, I just received from Dresscircle.co.uk, the new Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton, and from Amazon, the BK produced Cinderella: Songs from the Classic Fairy Tale.  (This is a replacement for my original stolen copy.)

I also received two CDs not produced by BK but have connections to him and us...

You Can't Put Ketchup on the Moon: Broadway Flops & Roadkills, 1925-1955

and

Life's a Funny Present: More Broadway Flops & Roadkills, 1919-1955

What's the connection?  They both were mixed by Vincent Cirili/Cirilli (strangely, it's spelled differently on each CD) and both have some arrangements by our very own Elmore! :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:55:36 PM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

I got this message from DR TCB on Facebook:
I am still waiting to go to rehab. Insurance company doesn't want to spend bucks on the old people. We shall see

Doug R

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

I don't know about the U.S. but in the U.K. today is a holiday. Holidays in Europe are lengthy and this one has been going on since Thursday afternoon.

What is the holiday?

Easter Monday. I believe it's a public holiday in most countries.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

Well, the office is falling into place. Thamks for the vibes and keep 'em coming. i hope to have good news by the end of the week.

CONTINUED OFFICE VIBES AND GOOD NEWS BY THE END OF THE WEEK VIBES!!!

I've been reading a lot about you in a certain book. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up