Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving text from "Word"  (Read 11780 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Moving text from "Word"
« on: October 23, 2003, 01:29:36 AM »

Dear Mark: When I have a longer post to write, I usually compose it in Microsoft Word.  I find the spellchecker handy, and it lets me know in advance just how long a post I'm submitting.  A simple cut and paste works fine for moving the text to the message section.

However, and you knew a however had to be coming, there's a problem with any apostrophies or quotation marks I include in the text.  For some reason, they're converted to a seven character code.  I've had the good sense to preview these posts first, which allows me to edit them back to apostrophies and quotation marks, but it's a hassle to do this each time.

So, Mark, do you have any idea why this is happening, and do you have any suggestions as to how to circumvent it happening in the future.  I would be quite uncomfortable trying to write without contractions, which require an apostrophy, as writing without contractions would make me sound like Data from ST:TNG.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MrMarkBakalor

Re:Moving text from "Word"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 10:00:51 AM »

Yes. Microsoft Word uses special characters inncluding apostrophes and quotes. These cause problems in many email programs, html, etc. I believe there may be a setting within Word that turns off the special character setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up