Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGGIN' TATTOO  (Read 9077 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGGIN' TATTOO
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »

In other news, I am rocking out ;) to a fantastic Hugo Montenegro compilation appropriately titled Mr. Groovy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »

Close, DR Ron Pulliam, except that I did accidently watch part of a HOW THE WEST WAS WON when I was a kid.

Just so long as you didn't watch the whole film....LOL.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »

Discuss:

Taylor Swift is circling the role of Joni Mitchell in Sony Pictures and Di Bonaventura Pictures' adaptation of Sheila Weller's book "Girls Like Us," which would mark the pop star's first turn in a bigscreen drama.

Pic examines the careers of singers Mitchell, Carly Simon and Carole King. Swift does not have an official offer, but has been linked to the Mitchell role for several months as other actresses have auditioned to play Simon and King, including Alison Pill ("Midnight in Paris") for the latter singer.

"House" exec producer Katie Jacobs, who optioned the book several years ago, is directing from a script by John Sayles. Lorenzo di Bonaventura ("Transformers") is set to produce the Sony pic, which has not yet been greenlit, though it is tentatively skedded to start production later this year when the three leads' schedules allow for filming.

Swift, who's currently featured on "The Hunger Games" soundtrack, made her feature acting debut in ensemble rom-com "Valentine's Day," and recently voiced a role in Universal's "The Lorax." Before that, she appeared as herself in the 2009 Miley Cyrus vehicle "Hannah Montana: The Movie."

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

Some very good news for fans (like me!) of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:

http://carolburnettfan.com/news/CB_Release--4-18-12.pdf
Thank you. That's one to look for.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »

Jennifer, it's too complicated to tell.  They just make a silly plot device and it's kind of meaningless.  I think now an equal number of people have seen the extended version of the Swedish film - remember, this was originally made for television - the theatrical version came after and they felt they had to edit it down for that.  The extended is great and you should see it. 

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

DR JMK - I have read about 40% of Girls Like Us on my Kindle and, as much as I love the music of all 3 women, got very bored with the writing.  Maybe Mr. Sayles can bring some life into their stories.  As I read, I kept thinking, "This book needs a soundtrack," so the music should be great.  The book was a Kindle freebie, which leads me to believe it didn't sell very well...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Any book about that subject in that era that doesn't include Laura Nyro isn't worth reading.  :)

JMK

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

I've been on a tear with my Netflix and Amazon Instant Video streaming, trying to get my moolah's worth out of them.  I've been watching a ton of old British mystery shows.  My assessments:

Midsomer Mysteries:  good setups, blah denouements

Murdoch Mysteries:  too gimmicky

Sherlock:  have been liking it much better this time than when I watched parts of some episodes during their broadcast run

Foyle's War:  really like what I've watched so far, plus have a new favorite name to go along with Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch, namely:  Honeysuckle Weeks  ;)

John G.

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

I've been on a tear with my Netflix and Amazon Instant Video streaming, trying to get my moolah's worth out of them.  I've been watching a ton of old British mystery shows.  My assessments:

Midsomer Mysteries:  good setups, blah denouements

Murdoch Mysteries:  too gimmicky

Sherlock:  have been liking it much better this time than when I watched parts of some episodes during their broadcast run

Foyle's War:  really like what I've watched so far, plus have a new favorite name to go along with Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch, namely:  Honeysuckle Weeks  ;)

Ms. Weeks is a wonder. And somehow her name suits her.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Jennifer, it's too complicated to tell.  They just make a silly plot device and it's kind of meaningless.  I think now an equal number of people have seen the extended version of the Swedish film - remember, this was originally made for television - the theatrical version came after and they felt they had to edit it down for that.  The extended is great and you should see it. 

Is it on the regular dvd? My library has it. But truthfully i found the Swedish version a bit too graphic for my tastes. Although i could always fast forward thru the graphic parts just to see what is new.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

Thank you DR Cilla.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »

Mom came home fromrehab yesterday  thank you all for your vibes and prayers

Wonderful news!

Jane

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »

Vibes fro Sherlock and family - I am so very sorry to hear thissad news Jane

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »

Thanks DR John G.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

Thanks DR Danise & everyone who sent vibes in general.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

I still have not seen the US movie since my library did not get it yet (hopefully they will get it).

It's hard to keep all the endings in check. But I found this interesting comparison. And it sounds like the US movie is more like the book. There was a key element that was left out of the Swedish movie that bugged the crap out of me (re: erika and mikael). It sounds like they included it in the US movie.

http://prodigalfilmstudent.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/differences-between-americanswedish-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

I think you will like the story more as this does follow the book more closely.  I don't know that you will prefer this version though.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »

More vibes for SHERLOCK. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you.  We took him up to the snow today.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

Jane

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

re: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

I still have not seen the US movie since my library did not get it yet (hopefully they will get it).

It's hard to keep all the endings in check. But I found this interesting comparison. And it sounds like the US movie is more like the book. There was a key element that was left out of the Swedish movie that bugged the crap out of me (re: erika and mikael). It sounds like they included it in the US movie.

http://prodigalfilmstudent.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/differences-between-americanswedish-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

You haven't seen the extended Swedish or you would know that the ending with Erika and Mikael is there.  The big change involves Vanger's daughter - that most certainly is NOT in the book.  Also, 90% of the things on that website that the guy feels are better in the US because they're not included in the Swedish, ARE included in the extended version of the Swedish film.  I'm going to watch that again soon.

I never had an option to rent the extended Swedish version. 

Jane

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

I've read the book & watched two versions of the movie.  I think that is enough, at least for me it is.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

Is it on the regular dvd? My library has it. But truthfully i found the Swedish version a bit too graphic for my tastes. Although i could always fast forward thru the graphic parts just to see what is new.

The US version is less graphic.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

I a not sure why my library did no get the US version. Maybe the person ordering it does not know there was a US version made.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »

I a so hungry!

Danise

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

Hi all.  I saw myself on the AC show today.  He just mentioned helping me and showed a photo of me with the check.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »

I'm hoping for good news about DD Sherlock.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

John G.

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

I'm off soon to work at the Oyster Bake. Fiesta has started in San Antonio and it's party time for the next 12 days or so.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »

Back from an omelet to tide me over till dinner, which will be soft and light, and then I picked up some packages and an important envelope, did banking, bought some pantaloons, a new pair of swimming trunks and a new pair of shorts to jog in, as well as some light bulbs for the outside lights and some floss.  I'm all set now for any eventuality.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »

TOD

Today’s arrivals by post:
(all Blu-Ray)

Tremors
The Adventures of Tintin
The Muppets
MI –Ghost Protocol

der Brucer

On the night-stand to read:

Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter
Let Them Eat Stake - A Vampire Chef Mystery

Still awaiting invites to a reading group :)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »

hello, goodbye

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »

It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to work today.  A drive that usually takes 30 minutes or so.  There was an accident on the San Mateo Bridge, and traffic was backed up.  It was long, boring, and tiring.  Not something I ever wish to do again
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up