Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOIR NOTES  (Read 15400 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE NOIR NOTES
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2004, 08:00:25 PM »

Movie scores:

DR Robin and I will have to agree, hopefully, to disagree about Jarre's "Witness."  It's one of the Jarre scores I feel actually complements the film rather than destroys it.  "Enemy Mine" is another, but I think his best was for the Ellen Burstyn film "Resurrection."

What, you may ask, about "Lawrence...", "Dr. Zhivago" and other Lean epics?  Well...let's just say there were other hands involved and I don't consider them purely "Jarre" scores.

I don't think Jerry Goldsmith has written a better score than "Basic Instinct."  There are others I like parts of better, but "Basic Instinct" is, IMO, a classic in its genre -- a truly great movie score!

John Williams has written many wonderful scores, and he has detractors who piss and moan about this one or that one, including me who can't stand "Hook."  BUT, I think his most glorious "modern" score was for "The Accidental Tourist" -- a monothematic beauty that shimmers, shines and totally meshes with that fine film.  An extraordinary film score.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

(Hey, Lady!)

Mahler!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:01:53 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2004, 08:09:14 PM »

Spent the evening "being a friend," and now I'm exhausted, but I had to check in and see what everyone else had been up to today. Hopefully, tomorrow will be sunnier for all concerned at my house and at HHW, too. Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2004, 08:12:39 PM »

OK, Dear Readers...with the exception of my toiletries, I am packed and ready to go on my week and half long excursion across this great land of ours. Well, across the great midwestern part of this land of ours. I have a car service picking me up at 9:30 and my flight to Chicago leaves LaGuardia at noon. Send your good "leave on time and have a safe flight" vibes all that you can.

Today at work I had my first training session for my new position as assistant to the Executive Assistant. That training mainly consisted of me typing up a letter from dictation. The regular E.A. had already typed it up, so it didn't matter if I accidently erased it or anything. The CEO just wanted to make sure I got used to the low murmuring growl of his voice on tape and he also wanted to know that I could type, spell and effectively make a letter. Well, I was scared to death. The CEO intimidates the hell out of me and I was really nervous because his mumbling is infamous and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to understand him, hence preventing me from getting through the letter. Not to mention he names various people (lawyers, producers, promoters) that I've never heard of, so I have to try to spell their names correctly and guess at some of their genders...

Long story short (too late, right?), I ended up typing up the letter with no problems. And I did it in thirty-five minutes. It took his regular assistant over an hour to do (it was four pages long, after all...), but me? Thirty-five minutes, baby. Everyone was shocked and pleasantly pleased and the only typos in the letter were a couple of the lawyer's names, which he double checks before they're sent out anyway. The nicest part of all of this is, once I actually start doing projects for him, I'll get an extra $10/hr. Woohoo!

Anyway, I should probably take my shower and head to bed...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2004, 08:12:44 PM »

DR Pogue:  Here is your exciting trivia question for the day:  can you name the connection between Out of the Past and another film we discussed recently, Toast of New York?

No fair's cheating by looking at IMDb.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:16:12 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2004, 08:25:47 PM »

All the best of vibes to you Jason. Best of wishes to DRs Kerry and MusicGuy. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2004, 08:29:42 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD TRAVEL VIBES, JASON![/move]

Jason

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2004, 08:34:32 PM »

This is the amazing recital hall that we're performing in this weekend...I can't wait.

Jason

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2004, 08:36:10 PM »

And this is the building in which that recital hall is housed. This building is part of a private residence just outside of Chicago. Apparently the homeowners are not only music lovers, but they're also apparently quite wealthy...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »

QUITE wealthy?  Rah-thur!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2004, 08:45:29 PM »

A late question for all DRs:

Does anyone out there have a good pasta salad recipe they'd like to share?

Thanks, in advance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2004, 08:46:27 PM »

BK, Mr. Weede has me in tears every time I listen to the recording.  I really like that show.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2004, 08:46:55 PM »

Break legs, Jason! And we want pictures!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2004, 08:49:06 PM »

JMK, don't have clue about the connection between OUT OF THE PAST & TOAST OF NEW YORK.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2004, 08:53:38 PM »

AND ONE FOR GUSTAV !!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2004, 09:00:17 PM »

Before I forget, DR Charles, Los Angeles does have a resident theater company that does classic plays, and just classic plays.  It's called A Noise Within, and it's located in Glendale.  They do classic plays in repetory, and every review I've come across has been quite good.

(End of message to DR CP, the rest of this is for everyone)

As for the complaint that theater in LA is disrupted by the film business, this does happen, unfortunately.  It is also over-publicized.  Most actors are not so likely to abandon a project they've committed time to, such as rehearsing a play, unless the time constraints make combining projects impossible.  Ditching a play for a film role makes its way into the actor's reputation, regarding their dedication, and the majority of actors are not so willing to risk their reputation for a walk-on.  It's something to which casting directors pay attention, and casting directors spend a great deal of their time attending plays.

Don't let anyone kid you into thinking acting in Los Angeles isn't as much a job as acting in NYC.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 09:02:38 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2004, 09:05:19 PM »

My alarm clock is set, and I must get myself to bed.  Tomorrow is another day, but a long one.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get der Brucer to pipe down.  Maybe.  If I'm lucky.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2004, 09:23:26 PM »

Mr. Rhodes Reason (brother of Rex)!

MBarnum, wasn't Mr. Reason the bus driver that was always flirting with the woman who ran the "Bus Stop"?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:02 PM »

Hahahaha....The Bad Penny is BACK!!!   8)

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2004, 09:59:51 PM »

Hahahaha....The Bad Penny is BACK!!!   8)

Welcome back, Jrand!

“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

Welcome back, Jr&!

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2004, 10:14:42 PM »

Did someone spend a penny? "Step up and play each machine seemed to say".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2004, 10:22:42 PM »

Unfortunately, Woody, it's not run-of-the-mill actors that ditch theatre for film so much as stars.  But anyone can give their two weeks notice...and do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2004, 10:39:59 PM »

Thanks PANNI & TCB!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2004, 10:47:24 PM »

Sorry folks, but this wussburger is off to bed.

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2004, 10:48:55 PM »

Pasta salad: My famous tuna pasta salad - easy and simple, but quite tasty and addictive - ask anyone who's been to one of my Christmas soirees.

Boil one pound of macaroni noodles.  Drain and put in a large serving bowl (I use a metal salad thing).  Add one can of tuna (in water - with the water drained out), mincing it as you add.  Add very finely minced red onion and then mix it.  Put in the fridge and let it get cold (a couple of hours does the trick).  Take out and add three or four large tablespoons of Best Foods mayo and mix thoroughly.  Put back in the fridge for at least another two hours.  Add salt and pepper to taste (I use lots of salt) and serve.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2004, 12:01:09 AM »

Not one single post for over an hour, despite there being several people perusing the board.  WUSSBURGERS!  Skammen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up