Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOIR NOTES  (Read 15398 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NOIR NOTES
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:59:53 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you have your trenchcoats on, you're wearing a fedora and thinking about the phantom lady or the lady from shanghai or the black angel or the fallen angel, and now you are ready to post until the noir cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 12:00:24 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE NOIR NOTES
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:08:31 AM »

I'm going to find a photo of me in a trench coat, thigh high boots, holding a long cigarette holder - done for a feature on mystery writers. I look perfect for today's notes. The picture is centuries old - yes I'm a vampire. I'm going to find the photo right now and post it ASAp

Panni

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 12:16:59 AM »

Well, I can't find the magazine. Perhaps tomorrow. You'll have to take my word for it for now. Very mysterioso.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 12:45:56 AM »

SPIES IN THE NIGHT as recorded by The Manhattan Transfer
Music by Jay Graydon, Alan Paul, & David Foster
Lyrics by Alan Paul

Shadows looking through an open window
Footsteps following wherever you go
Undercover eyes
Search to find the key to alibis
Living in a hideaway
You can't hide
You can never get away
They'll find you
Be aware of strangers in the dark

Jealous lovers quarrel in suspicion
Passions justifying their positions
Vengeance on the rise
Now they're throwing daggers from their eyes
Maybe they can find a way
Past their pride
Live and let it die away
If not they'll
Lie a lot and fight a lot
But you beware
'Cause in the air they're

Spies in the night
They go wherever you are
You're in their sight
Watch out for spies in the cold, cold, restless night

Heartache like a burning, turning fever
Someone tells his girl that he will leave her
Ooo her ravaged eyes
Kiss goodbye the years of hidden lies

Photos taken on display he denies
But the cheating heart will pay
She says you lie a lot
And fight a lot
but it's in vain
You can't explain 'cause

Spies in the night
They go wherever you are
You're in their sight
Watch out for spies in the night

Sorry, now you will pay

(spoken:)
Cheryl: Hello
Alan: The winds are calm in the channel.
Cheryl: The boat will sail at midnight.
Alan: Listen very carefully to me. I don't have much time and I'm being watched.
Cheryl: You're being watched - By who?
Alan: I have your pictures.
Cheryl: Oh. Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me.
Alan: Do you have my money?
Cheryl: Yes. Of course I do.
Alan: Meet me in an hour. Position A. Code 3XZ. I'll...
Cheryl: Hello! Hello!! Hello!!!

(sung:)
Spies in the night
They go wherever you are
You're in their sight
Watch out for spies in the night
(repeat and fade)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:46:56 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 01:04:16 AM »

A Question for Ask BK (and anyone else) Day:

BK, you said in today's notes that the DVD of "The Set Up" that you watched last night has "sporadic commentary" by Wise and Scorsese.  The DVD to "What's Up, Doc?" has "scene specific" commentary that adds up to only about 10 minutes of Mrs. Brolin speaking.  How do you feel about these minimal amounts of commentary on DVDs?  Do you think they're cheating the fans (and those who want to know more about the movie) and should make more of an effort to fill the disc with knowledgeable information, or should the fans be grateful that these commentators say anything at all and just accept what they get?  I personally felt a little (only a little) cheated by how little Babs talked about on the "What's Up, Doc?" DVD.

How do the rest of you feel?  Should the audio commentary track be filled to the brim with information, or (unless it doesn't matter to you at all) does it really matter to you?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:04:43 AM »

And now, good night, all.

Jed

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:04:51 AM »

Man, I really do need to get Mecca for Moderns in my CD collection!  Thanks for that, George.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:06:11 AM »

Any time, Jed.  If you don't know about it, I got the lyrics from their fan website at www.tmtfanclub.com.  Go to the Discography link, click on an album title and there you are!

Danise

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 03:39:05 AM »

Morning all!

I'm so sorry to hear about your disapointment, Jose!  I hope something even better comes along to take it's place.

Thanks, for the good words about the root canal.  I'm glad it's over.  My mouth is still a little sore but otherwise it's much, much, much better.

It's hard to believe it's already been a month since I sent to NYC.  

I went to bed super early (as soon as I posted last night) and slept pretty well.  Had a funny dream about three o'clock that Mom came in, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Niecea (my nick name), I’m terribly sorry but you have to get up now.”  I jumped out of bed and went to Mom’s room but she was sound asleep.  The house was peaceful and quiet.  

I hate it when that happens!  I walked around the house to assure myself that everything was alright then went back to bed.

But now I have to run to catch the bus!  Which beats having to DRIVE into work like I have for the past two days.

Talk to ya'll when I get home tonight.  I think I might be able to stay awake a little longer.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 03:48:13 AM »

My take on commentary tracks:

If they're not either informative or entertaining (ideally, they should be both), there's no reason for them.  

Jerry Goldsmith does excellent commentary/score tracks on the Planet of the Apes and Hollow Man discs.  Lalo Schifrin does a similar one on the deeveedee of Rush Hour.  Both of these guys are old pros, and the new film score composers should listen to these tracks with a great deal of attention.  But even for musically-inept folks like myself, there's a wealth of valuable information.  

There are two very entertaining commentaries on the Myra Breckinridge disc, and they're entertaining for completely different reasons.  Raquel Welch's track reveals her as a smart, sassy and very savvy person...which I certainly had no inkling of before I heard it.  Micheal Sarne's commentary track reveals that the director is borderline paranoid and probably delusional.  

William Shatner and his daughter Liz do a commentary track for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier that reveals nothing, except for long stretches of silence, and Liz prodding her father to remember things from time to time.  That commentary shouldn't have been included on the disc.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 04:40:13 AM »

DR Jose,

I just caught up on the notes and, naturally, agree that the way things were handled is inexcusable. Do you think the higherups in the organization are aware of what went on? Now that you've slept on it, you may want to write a short note to someone higher up in the organization. Of course, you know your customers best. But this kind of unseemly behavior is unacceptable.  

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 05:43:28 AM »

To all the DR's of HHW...A message from Tomovoz...the computer phone line has become defective and needs to be replaced. He hopes to be online to post within the next 24 hrs.

Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 06:34:49 AM »

I'm a BIG fan of film noir, but one famous film noir I've managed to miss all these years is OUT OF THE PAST. I'll rectify that situation one of these days.

I'm looking forward to those film noir classics on DVD. I've always loved THE SET-UP. When I was in college and took Personal and Community Health to get my teacher's license, we had to pick a sport and do a term paper on some aspect of it I chose boxing and did my paper on boxing films. I concentrated on the fight sequences themselves and had loads of praise for the fight scene in THE SET-UP. I'm sure Scorsese studied this and other 1940s fight films for his inspiration for those galvanizing ring sequences in RAGING BULL, but the ones in CHAMPION seemed more directly like RAGING BULL to me than the one in THE SET-UP.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 06:39:08 AM »

Generally, I'd rather listen to an insightful critic on a commentary track than someone connected with the film unless that person has a great felicity with words. Listening to Mel Brooks on a commentary track is as close to death as a person can come without actually dying. The commentary tracks on FRANKENSTEIN or THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES or THE WIZARD OF OZ laserdisc are much more interesting because the commentator has done research and is not just talking "off the cuff."

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 06:52:15 AM »

Last night DR Panni wrote:
Tonight is the season premiere of Nip/Tuck. An excellent show. Vanessa Redgrave will be guesting as the randy mother of series regular (and daughter) Joely Richardson. The whole first season is available on DVD.

Question.  We don't get the FX network here.  But CTV (a Canadian station) showed Nip/Tuck last year.  And tomorrow night they are showing the first episode of Season Two (where Christian hires a nanny).

Is this the same episode that you guys saw last night?
Or are we behind?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 06:55:36 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 07:03:13 AM »

DR Jose, I hope today is better for you.

DR Danise, hope your teeth feel better.

Re: German pancakes

Is there something I've eaten that is similar to them?    DR Panni's chant for them has made me curious.

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

BK question of the day (for BK or anyone who likes Godzilla)...

What are your 3 favorite Godzilla films?

Do you have any favorite actors/actresses from Godzilla films?

Are there any other Japanese sci-fi that you enjoy?

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 07:14:48 AM »

Avenue Q puppets of Regis & Kelly:

(this was very funny)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86937.html

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »

Speaking of GODZILLA, what was the consensus of opinion on that remake with Matthew Broderick of several years ago? A mess, right? But the DVD has terrific 5.1 sound.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 08:02:52 AM »

Periodically there has been some talk on here about film music underscoring and of late I've been paying particular attention to it and I'm not sure I really understand the difference between the good and the bad.  So, my question of the day is...what films do you  think are prime examples of good film underscoring and prime examples of the worst.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 08:08:36 AM »

Good Morning!

Sleep did it's magic.  I'm feeling much better and more level-headed this morning - of course, I'm still a little drowsy, so maybe it's just because I'm not fully awake yet. ;)

Thanks again for all of your kind words last night and this morning. They really did their own special magic too. :)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my day.  Frankly, I'm already feeling "over" the whole mess from last night, and I may just let a sleeping dog lie.  However, something tells me I'll be getting some sort of follow up lately anyway - I think, I hope(?).  The first sentence of the two-sentence e-mail I got last was: "I'll be using Person A and Person B."  The second sentence was "What's your phone number again?"  -Of course, my phone number has appeared at the bottom of all the e-mails I've sent to him in my signature line, and it was also in all my phone messages to his office.  Ah, well...

Truth be told, I'd really like to read him the riot act right now.  Just get all of "it" out of my system.  We shall see.

In other news...

Question for Ask BK Day:

Is there any current talk show, daytime or evening, that you'd like to appear as a guest?  I guess what I'm really asking is: Is there any current talk show host that you really like?

And if there is no current talkshow host you like, which former talkshow host did you like, and still like?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 08:13:48 AM »

POO!

Staying at home today, I am.  Sickie-poo!  Have been up more than I slept since about 3 a.m.  

Ask BK:   Do you have any idea what happened at "that" site?  You're absolutely correct -- it's the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time.  Interesting how most of the stock that keeps them afloat was produced by.....

As for noir, the only noir I have here is pinot noir.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:21:29 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 08:22:51 AM »

RLP - good health vibes crossing the border.

And yes, about "that" site: it's not only ugly, but virtually unreadable. That kind of a combination takes work.

Emily

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 08:23:32 AM »

Hello all!

I've nothing really to add... or ask BK.

I'm just trying to make sure I post once a day otherwise I fall off the wagon and feel guilty :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 08:24:21 AM »

oh... and "THAT" site really is awfully ugly.

Who uses frames anymore?  blech blech vomit
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 08:35:24 AM »

DR MattH, I saw the Matthew Broderick Godzilla. I didn't think it was bad, it just wasn't a Godzilla movie to me. It didn't look like Godzilla and the monsters background was totally different then the Godzilla I know.

So, I found it to be a reasonably enjoyable film, but I consider it just a monster that happens to have the same name as Godzilla.

And it did co-star that guy from Melrose Place who I have always liked as an actor.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 08:37:13 AM »

Well, I guess I am just out of the loop because I simply have not the foggiest clue as to what website you all have been thinking is the ugliest in the world.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 08:47:50 AM »

A Question for Ask BK (and anyone else) Day:

BK, you said in today's notes that the DVD of "The Set Up" that you watched last night has "sporadic commentary" by Wise and Scorsese.  The DVD to "What's Up, Doc?" has "scene specific" commentary that adds up to only about 10 minutes of Mrs. Brolin speaking.  How do you feel about these minimal amounts of commentary on DVDs?  Do you think they're cheating the fans (and those who want to know more about the movie) and should make more of an effort to fill the disc with knowledgeable information, or should the fans be grateful that these commentators say anything at all and just accept what they get?  I personally felt a little (only a little) cheated by how little Babs talked about on the "What's Up, Doc?" DVD.

I don't see the point of ten minutes of commentary.  When I said sporadic in terms of The Set Up, it's one of those commentaries that has huge gaps of silence in it.  Mr. Wise and Mr. Scorsese were recorded separately.  I don't find many of these commentaries that interesting, but the sporadic ones are infuriating, especially if one has just watched the film straight through without it.

Panni

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 08:48:12 AM »

Jennifer - Yes, that's the show.

RLP - Good health vibes to you.

Jose - Have to do a few errands, but I have a thought or two later about responding or not to rude behanviour.

Re the photo I mentioned late last night. It's not in the house, which means it's in a box in the garage, which means I won't find it until I move, which means - "Never Mind..." (said in the Emily Litella mode.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 08:52:41 AM »

BK question of the day (for BK or anyone who likes Godzilla)...

What are your 3 favorite Godzilla films?

Do you have any favorite actors/actresses from Godzilla films?

Are there any other Japanese sci-fi that you enjoy?

I like most Japanese sci-fi - Mothra, Rodan, The H Man, all that stuff.  Favorite Godzillas: Gojira, Godzilla vs. Mothra (the original and the nineties remake), and Godzilla vs. Biollante.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up