Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PUNDITS QUERY  (Read 21963 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE PUNDITS QUERY
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2004, 09:29:29 AM »

And for whatever reason or reasons... I like the new site.  I like the new features...

And where would we all be now without DR Jrand's "Allison Hayes Picture of the Week" and DR MBarnum's Current Bollywood Movie?  ;)

Oh, and those wonderful, "When I was walking outside this morning, I saw this...." pics.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2004, 09:30:14 AM »

...And one for Mothra!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2004, 09:33:16 AM »

As long as I've got a minute before we leave

And as long as one of our TOD is "context"

Consider this:

Knowing the context of the film The Polar Express, I'm looking forward to it.

Coming to it blind, Matt is not.

Neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong.  We have different vantage points.

Which, I hope, puts our discussion of "context" in...uh...context.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2004, 09:47:34 AM »

When I took Wonderdog to the park this morning, the usual Sunday group was there. As the dogs played we spent a good 15 minutes discussing FAHRENHEIT 9/11. Whatever your politics, regardless of how you feel about the movie or Moore, there are not too many films these days which would bring about this kind of intense and much needed conversation about the state of this country - where it was, where it is, where it should be. And I'd bet my vast fortune that discussions of his type are going on all around the nation today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2004, 10:53:15 AM »

Hmmm... I guess everyone is at the Hollywood Collector's Showcase today... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2004, 11:04:24 AM »

I'm at home, listening to Donald's "June Moon" radio show and printing the poster for "The Polar Express" from the website that S. Woody posted...because I can. ::) I probably will go see TPE in the theater, because I'm sure it's the kind of movie that I would rather see on a big movie theater screen than up close on DVD (for the first time, at least).  I've read the book and love it, but I don't own it (I did buy a copy for my niece).  I will, however, go see it with an open mind.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2004, 11:21:48 AM »

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

NEWS FLASH!!

I just saw this on the local news...

Unexpected and unexplained surprisingly large crowds in Tarnation today.

Film at 11:00...

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 11:22:54 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2004, 01:08:37 PM »

Hi all,

I just had my first Coca Cola C2.  Not bad but I can't get used to it.

I can't really drink Coke or any cola drink.  I've learned that people who are prone to having kidney stones should only drink clear drinks.  Water, Sprite, 7-Up, etc.   Which is strange because that's what I drink for the most part anyway.  

Gotta run.  It's buliding up to rain and I want to take the dogs for a walk.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2004, 01:16:46 PM »

Had an interesting afternoon at the movies in my den. First came the Betty Grable DOWN ARGENTINE WAY. The movie as shown on the Fox Movie Channel is in great shape with no age-related blemishes or artifacts noticeable.

Then, on one of the HBO channels, I finally caught up to BASIC. This movie absolutely infuriated me. It's a combination of RASHOMON, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, and its own switch-the-story-around variation of THE STING. Only in THE STING, when the final surprise was revealed, one felt invigorated to have been had, impressed with the ingenuity of the masquerade. At the end of BASIC, I felt outraged and betrayed by the scam, as if I had wasted the previous 90 minutes of my life. Talk about turning off an audience!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 01:19:45 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2004, 01:20:12 PM »

DRJOSE - well as I said in my review of KRITZER TIME - these are purloined memories.  The cultural references and personal feelings of Benjamin are the same ones I had....LOL.

On tv THIRTYSOMETHING used to speak about a lot of things that were happening in my life to me and my friends.

A movie....hmmmm....although it is strange to admit....BILLIE all about gender confusion touched me in a nice way....the struggle to be who you are no matter what was a great subtext of that movie....

DR DANISE you are all dressed up for the holiday and it's great!

WEL you should have an email from me today, and an envelope this week.

I just came back from my family reunion....oh my...well we all have them and we all know what they are like...so...I will just say OH MY.

And while we did get a clothing description of one star - with generous endowments - was everyone else naked?  What did Elke wear...what did Angela have on?  What did MR BK and Penny Peyser wear.  How do celebrities dress to meet the great unwashed?

What did Miss Beverly Garland, star & hotelier have on?  And did you ask her about Allison?

DR PANNI - I know that that movie, you know the one I mean, is provoking discussion - but I always remember the TWILIGHT ZONE discussions at school on Monday....especially after a particularly good episode.....certain ones of us were always agog and abuzz!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2004, 01:23:20 PM »

There was nearly a two hour gap between posts.
Not my idea of home fries.
I may have to post more doggerel
And this time, it'll be political...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2004, 01:25:55 PM »

I have board meeting today so I won't be in chat...which after last week is probably a blessing.  

Sorry to hear about TCB's computer problems....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yesterday the Children's Workshop presentation went just okay.  The young group (1st-4th grades) did THE TEMPEST.  They were enthusiastic, but under rehearsed.  The kids who knew their lines said them VERY quickly...and then there were lots of pauses while waiting for someone else to talk.    One girl (who I nicknamed Miss Oblivious) was the narrator.  She had her script but instead of following along, she looked around the audience and adjusted her hat....and then after several minutes she would try to figure out where she was in the script and then say a few lines.  It was painful....and I am not sure, but I think I heard Prospero introduce his brother as "The king of Nipples."

The older group (5th-7th Grades) did a really nice short version of Twelfth Night - which is hilarious on its own.  The costumes were fun, there was some nice music, including live flutes, and that play just makes me laugh...a very nice presentation...and they were having so much fun.  They all spoke very quickly....but it was possible to follow the story, even if you didn't know it....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2004, 01:26:35 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danise

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2004, 01:26:52 PM »

Didn't get out of the house fast enough.  Before I could finish putting my shoes on I heard the first rumble of thunder.  

Considering how bad the storms have been the past couple of days, I don't want to chance getting caught out in one.  They come up very fast.

Thanks,  JRand!  I'm sorry the sparklers didn't turn out as nice as I wanted them to.  They look better on a bigger picture.

I can type.  Really I can.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 01:30:11 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2004, 01:27:23 PM »

I heard something on television last night that struck me....something that I hadn't realized before....when he shot Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth was only 26 years old!

Danise

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2004, 01:33:55 PM »

Yikes! Lightning strikes!  Gotta sign off--see ya's!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2004, 01:37:36 PM »

I heard something on television last night that struck me....something that I hadn't realized before....when he shot Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth was only 26 years old!

Lee Harvey Oswald was only 24 when he assassinated Kennedy.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2004, 01:41:31 PM »

Have to go and do a qucik errand. but must say, JR, that the "King of Nipples" gave me my laugh of the week.
Back soon to help fry some homes.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2004, 01:42:04 PM »

Will Kerry carry Kansas?
With balloting bonanzas?
He comes from Massachusetts where the gay and merry marry
But there ain't a lot of panzas
In Kansas.

Will Bush rope in Dakota?
Bamboozle-ing each voter?
He's caused them little trouble.  You would think they'd cheer for W
Of rubes they have their quota
In North and South Dakota

Didja see what Michael Moore did?
The right wing says it's sordid
You may think he's a ham or a
King for turning his camera
On all the things that war did
Is more Moore in store?
Ignore Al Gore

Along the Allegheny
Do people like Dick Cheney?
And each time I see Rumsfeld
It seems to me my bum's felled
By something getting swolen:
My colon.
Powell

The end

Panni

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2004, 01:42:58 PM »

...I'll just leave "qucik errand" as a conversation piece.  Definitions please..

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »

Qucik errand is an term that means an errand that should take five minutes, but instead takes five hours.

George

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »

Noel, ROTFLMAO!!

As for "Fahrenheit 9/11," several of my co-workers are going to see it tonight (Sunday) and have invited me.  Another co-worker owes me a few dollars so she said that she would buy me a ticket and we would go with the group (we're also going to meet for dinner before the movie).  Anyway, the group of co-workers already going have already gotten their tickets and I don't know if the woman who's getting MY ticket has gotten it yet, or if she will get it first chance on Sunday, or if she'll wait till after we have dinner.  I may not actually get to see the movie...well, tonight, anyway.  But it's possible that she has gotten the tickets.

Well, I just got a call from the woman who was supposed to buy my ticket for "Fahrenheit 9/11" for tonight, and it turns out that her kids and grandkids are coming over for dinner and she can't go.  At first she said that she'd leave the money for the ticket at another friend's house (who's not home right now) but I said that she could buy me lunch later in the week.  It'll be a lot easier that way.  I'll go to the movie theater right after I post this and see if the showing is sold out.  I've tried calling, but it's been busy each of the three times that I've called.  If I can't get a ticket, I'll join the gang for dinner at 5:30 and come home...maybe in time for chat.

As for my day tomorrow, I have been summoned for jury duty!  I've only had to call in once before, but I didn't have to go to the courthouse.  Tomorrow I actually do!  I told my supervisor that I have jury duty, but I didn't know until late Friday afternoon that I would actually have to report.  The courthouse is close to the movie theater, so when I go to see if I can get tickets to the movie, I'm going to swing by and check out where the parking area is.  I have no idea what to expect.  Has anyone ever had to actually serve on a jury??

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2004, 01:59:34 PM »

Has anyone ever had to actually serve on a jury??

I have, several times.  It's nothing like what you see on the television or in movies.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2004, 02:02:37 PM »

I have received the call a couple of times as well DRGEORGE, but I didn't have to serve either.   ;D

Off to my meeting.  :'(

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2004, 02:13:30 PM »

No, I've never actually served on a jury (except for playing Juror #4 in TWELVE ANGRY MEN). I was called for duty once quite a few years ago, but I wasn't drawn for the jury pool. I was told that even if I were drawn, the odds on their taking a school teacher are minimal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2004, 02:14:10 PM »

I've enjoyed it all three times I was called, the last being about a dozen years ago.

One was a medical malpractice suit.  A heart surgeon was accused of killing a patient by sawing open her chest bone too forcefully.  To be able to decide the case, we jurors needed to learn exactly how to perform open heart surgery the right way.  So now I know.  I like to put that down on my resumé under "special skills"

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »

Just got back from TWO BROTHERS. Not a bad film. Beautiful photography and the tigers, both young and adult, were a sight to behold. The film is a might slow and not as entertaining as, say, BORN FREE. I am glad I went to it (as I suppose were the other 5 people in the audience. LOL), but I wouldn't rush out to see it again.

Next week I will try to catch TERMINAL or NOTEBOOK. Both look pretty good.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2004, 02:32:48 PM »

Yes, I have served on a jury. My suggestion is this. When they question you, say:

For a criminal trial: He just looks guilty.
For a civil trial: I think juries today award too much money.

Either one ought to get you dismissed. Otherwise, expect to waste a lot of time downtown.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2004, 03:05:48 PM »

Well, the worst seems to be over.  What a storm!  Bear was (once again) a quivering mass at my feet.  I couldn't leave the room without him following me.  Brandi.  Ahh,  Brandi.  She lays by the door like nothing is happening.  

I served on Jury once last year.  It wasn't a big deal but I will say I got see what crack looks like.  I had never seen it before and don't really care to ever see it again.  I thought it was white but it was a smokey brown color.  

I'm afraid I am very drug dumb.  I don't know what you would do with it--grind it up and eat it?  Put it under your tongue and let it dissolve? Snort it?  Smoke it?  Drugs just don't make any sense to me.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up