Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PUNDITS QUERY  (Read 21971 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PUNDITS QUERY
« on: June 27, 2004, 12:04:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the pundits have queried and now it's time to post and keep the home fries burning.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 12:01:50 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE PUNDITS QUERY
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 12:20:10 AM »

Good Morning!

-Shouldn't I be in bed by now?  Wasn't I planning on getting to bed early tonight so that I could get up early tomorrow?  Well, at least earlier... Ah, well...

BK - I hope today is a better and busier day for you and everyone else at the Collector's Showcase.  Yesterday seemed to be a slow day for a lot of people - I was talking with a friend who went to a big street festival which is usually packed, but not yesterday - and the weather was gorgeous!  So, who knows?  In any case, I'm sending out Good Attendance Vibes!

And since it's Free-For-All Day...

Has there even been a book you've read or a movie you've seen - or even a TV show - where you've said, "WOW! That could be me on the screen?"  "That was/is my life up there?!?!"

And just to continue on a thread that was brought up in yesterday's posts...

Is there a classic musical that you would like to see done as a "gay musical"?

And/or:

Is there a musical that you think could truly work if the gender of one member of the central romantic couple was changed?

And/or:

What song key titles and/or lyrics would have to be changed?  Or not changed?  -And feel free to provide some examples.

-OK - I wanna make brunch tomorrow/today during brunch hours, so...

Goodnight.

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 12:24:51 AM »

I'm pooped.  I'm cookied out.  I need to wussburger.

Sorry, 'nite all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

I was very (and most) errant and truant all day Saturday.  I helped my sister get some of her things out of my garage (I'm renting the house from her), then I went to a bar-be-q (lots of food was had by all), then I came home and worked a bit on cleaning up pops and things from a record that I had recorded onto my computer to make a CD out of it.  I then took a nap for about an hour, when my sister called and woke me up (I was not happy).  She needed to get more things out of my garage (no problem).

After that, I came home and finished cleaning up the album and burned it onto a CD.  It's a show that I'm sure no one has ever heard of...Founder's Capers, written by Samuel F. Babbit and Natalie M. Babbitt in 1961.  They were faculty at Vanderbilt University, and this Original Vanderbilt Faculty Club Production is comprised of faculty of the university.  It only has one piano as the accompaniment, but the score is quite delightful.  Not earth-shatteringly brilliant, but very enjoyable.  A woman that I work with knows (knew) one of the writers or performers and thought that I might enjoy it, and I did.  I also burned her a CD copy, which I don't think she will be expecting.  Anyway, that was my day today.  It's now approximately 1:50 a.m. on Sunday, and, just before I wrote this post, I finished reading ALL of Saturday's posts, of which none are mine.  I hope this makes up for it!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 01:52:03 AM »

As for "Fahrenheit 9/11," several of my co-workers are going to see it tonight (Sunday) and have invited me.  Another co-worker owes me a few dollars so she said that she would buy me a ticket and we would go with the group (we're also going to meet for dinner before the movie).  Anyway, the group of co-workers already going have already gotten their tickets and I don't know if the woman who's getting MY ticket has gotten it yet, or if she will get it first chance on Sunday, or if she'll wait till after we have dinner.  I may not actually get to see the movie...well, tonight, anyway.  But it's possible that she has gotten the tickets.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 01:54:40 AM »

So, it's possible that I won't be at chat tonight.  I hate to miss it, but I would really like to see "Fahrenheit 9/11."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 06:58:55 AM »

First, thanks to the 2 DRs who have contacted me about their "Submit KRITZER TIME for a Pulitzer" pledges of $10.00 each.  Reminder to others who pledged - contact me and I'll tell you where to send the money.  Only 2 more $10 contributions (plus mine) and we'll meet the goal.

I see that tomorrow will be Day 250 of the new notes format.  It's a shame that they were originally made password protected  to protect a former DR who has never used them and has requested that her name not even be mentioned at this here site.  I guess BK could have saved his pennies and not changed the site.

BK - Maybe the reason attendance is so low at the Collector's Show is that they seem to have one every other month and people don't want to go that often.  Cut them back to two or three a year and watch attendance rise.

The Broadway Channel on Music Choice is now playing a BK produced track - Liz Callaway doing "Standing on the Corner" from her Frank Loesser CD.  I just noticed that in typical BK fashion, "nickle Coke®" has been changed to "Diet Coke®".

I'm off to NJ to see Karen Ziemba as Miss Adelaide in GUYS AND KAREN at Papermill.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 07:08:17 AM »

Now if instead of "THE PUNDITS QUERY" it were "THE QUEER PUNDIT" I could post for hours!

der Brucer (maybe François is correct and I should be a musical)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 07:08:30 AM »

Good morning all.  Yesterday at 3pm it started raining.  So it looked like the local Canada Day performance and fireworks might be cancelled.  But when I went over at 5:30pm they said it would happen rain or shine.

Well by 6:30pm it had stopped raining. And by 7:30pm it was actually quite nice.  And it stayed nice for the rest of the night.

So that was a surprise.

The performances/band and dancers and singers were just okay.  But the fireworks were really nice.  And it was so funny hearing the kids saying, "ooh wow" whenever special different would go off.  I love fireworks!

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 07:10:49 AM »

Oh and yesterday was dvd player gone mad day.  I rented the dvd of 50 First Dates, but when I tried to play it my dvd player would not work.  So dvd player is going to the doctor.  So I brought the dvd back and they were really nice.  They gave me a credit to take it out again.  And gave me Paycheck for free (video).  I'm 3/4 through it and I actually quite like it.  More when I finish it.

Oh and TomFromOz said:

We have compulsory voting here in OZ.

Can you explain please, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:11:57 AM by Jennifer »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 07:12:53 AM »

Good morning. Apologies for my E&T status last night. Don't know what happened. I watched a taped episode of SIX FEET UNDER WITH my DD (who leaves today)... and then suddenly got so tired I could barely stand up. I lay down for a 10 minute nap and that was it. Tried to get up, but couldn't. Not even to POST! Yikes! But now it's morning, I'm rested and all is well.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 07:22:50 AM »

DR MBarnum, about THE DESPERATE HOURS, I find the Dewey Martin character the really poignant story of the film. You can see that he's envious of the lifestyle these people enjoy. He doesn't hate them for it; he wants to be a part of it. The yearning in his eyes is devastating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 07:24:57 AM »

Haven't quite decided what today's DVD delights will be. I will probably continue watching GONE WITH THE WIND that I started last night as I ate my afternoon meal, but after that, I'll find something else to enjoy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 07:28:26 AM »

Yesterday BK noted:

Yes, the Gojira story sadly reflects the time we live in.  Kids cannot just understand movies have context.

And the same is true of TV.

Watching films like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951), or "When Worlds Collide (1951)  it's difficult to keep in mind how advanced the special effects were for their time; things weren't too much better with "Forbidden Planet" (1956) or "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959) and early TV entries like "Star Trek" (1965) and "Lost In Space" (1965) have a tough time passing the giggle test today - but those of us who saw these entries at the time they were made were captured by the experience.

The laughable (by today's standards) special effects of 1933's "King Kong" do not keep it from being a great film.

der Brucer (expecting The Scarlet Street gang to chime in with better examples - and I'm sure BK will reminisce about the "Metropolis" of his wasted youth)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 07:47:56 AM »

No one ever giggles at the special effects on Classic Star Trek.  (We're all too busy giggling at William Shatner's acting!   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 07:53:10 AM »

...And since it's Free-For-All Day...

Has there even been a book you've read or a movie you've seen - or even a TV show - where you've said, "WOW! That could be me on the screen?"  "That was/is my life up there?!?!"
Uh...no.

Oh, there have been moments when I've found myself caught in what a character was saying and totally agreed.  But no one has yet captured the real "me" on film.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 07:59:49 AM »

It's a generational thing. I giggle at much of what passes today for entertainment at the movies. Honestly, watching the endless previews of coming attractions before HARRY POTTER yesterday, I didn't see a single film that would really bounce me out of my house to buy a movie ticket. Lots of teen comedy stuff featuring actors without a hint of charisma or interest to me and a lousy looking computer animated Christmas film with Tom Hanks - THE POLAR EXPRESS.

The one movie I would watch on cable or DVD was the sequel to THE PRINCESS DIARIES, and that's because Julie Andrews still exudes more class, charisma, and joy than any ten young performers.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 08:14:29 AM »

Seated are the composers Wright and Forrest. (not sure who is who)

Left to right

Nick Redman, George Lee Andrews, Willie Burke, Marcy DeGonge, Walter Willison, Judy Kaye, David Green, Len Cariou, the late Steve Barton, Bruce Kimmel, Seth Rudetsky, Albin Knopka

Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 08:22:22 AM »

Re: Australia's mandatory voting system:

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa060100a.htm
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 08:22:42 AM »

Der Brucer and I were talking in the car yesterday.  He was thinking about how much fun it would be to open a small movie theater and show old serials and such for a buck or two.  Here in Rehoboth, he thought, it would be an interesting attraction, to bring people in for an hour or so, to entertain them when they want a break or when the weather isn't perfect.  But then he had to stop.  "None of the old serials were made in color, were they?" he asked.  Well, no, by the time color became all-pervasive, the serials were no longer being made.  But the conventional wisdom these days is that young people won't (or can't) sit still for a film shot in black and white.  

And conventional wisdom might be right.  I'd rather think that the "conventional wisdom" came from a pitch to sell the public on colorized versions of the old classics, but I could be wrong.

I can remember watching the old movies, like the Abbot and Costello films, or the old horror flicks (sometimes one and the same), every Saturday afternoon.  They were shown in black and white, and I thought nothing was strange.  The old films aren't shown on commercial television any more.  They're passe, I guess.  But damn, they were fun.  And that fun is missing these days.

Instead, we get films like Pleasantville, where the gimmick is the special effect of turning a black and white world into color.  Black and white is viewed as unrealistic, bizarre, constricted.  Color is viewed as being liberated, fulfilling.  But, if everything must be in color, isn't that just as restrictive as a world that is nothing but black and white?

(Yep, this is another "context" post.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 08:35:27 AM »

...watching the endless previews of coming attractions before HARRY POTTER yesterday...a lousy looking computer animated Christmas film with Tom Hanks - THE POLAR EXPRESS.
The Polar Express is based on a book by Chris Van Allsburg, who also wrote the book Jumanji, the basis of another well-known film.  Van Allsburg does his own illustrations, and the animation style of The Polar Express accurately imitates his illustrative style.

(Of course, part of the success of the film will have to come from how well the screenwriters have expanded the original story.  Van Allsburg is not heavy on plot in his books.  His original Jumanji was simply about two children playing the game, with all the animals invading their house as they played, drawing on the metaphor of playing a game/using one's imagination.  The film of Jumanji dispensed with the metaphor entirely, becoming a charmless work in the process.  If the writers of The Polar Express have done their work well, the charm of Val Allsburg's work will be apparent not only in the animation, but in the script as well.  Personally, my hopes are good for this one.)

LINK
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 08:50:43 AM by S. Woody White »

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 08:41:53 AM »

The Polar Express is based on a book by Chris Van Allsburg, who also wrote the book Jumanji, the basis of another well-known film.  Van Allsburg does his own illustrations, and the animation style of The Polar Express accurately imitates his illustrative style.

(Of course, part of the success of the film will have to come from how well the screenwriters have expanded the original story.  Van Allsburg is not heavy on plot in his books.  His original Jumanji was simply about two children playing the game, with all the animals invading their house as they played, drawing on the metaphor of playing a game/using one's imagination.  The film of Jumanji dispensed with the metaphor entirely, becoming a charmless work in the process.  If the writers of The Polar Express have done their work well, the charm of Val Allsburg's work will be apparent not only in the animation, but in the script as well.  Personally, my hopes are good for this one.)

I have to say the movie looked thoroughly uninteresting to me, and I'm always game for an animated movie.

The preview started with a close-up of a kid's face, and I thought when I saw it how far we've advanced from the human characters in TOY STORY (that spoiled what I thought was otherwise a perfect movie), but the long and medium shots looked awful. And the story looked really silly. Maybe kids will like it. Who's to predict what catches on. All I can say is that it interested me not at all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 08:42:13 AM »

Left to right

Nick Redman, George Lee Andrews, Willie Burke, Marcy DeGonge, Walter Willison, Judy Kaye, David Green, Len Cariou, the late Steve Barton, Bruce Kimmel, Seth Rudetsky, Albin Knopka

Nope.  Albin is on the left, and Nick, with his then flowing mane of hair, is on the right.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »

Never mind the pundits
Goldie Hawn's a fun ditz
And her daughter's one ditz
I'd like to know
Sailing on the Hudson
Never mind the crud.  Sun-
ny days will come not snow.

Please ignore the poo-bahs
Blowing on their tubas
Don't become a blue Bos-
tonian
It's not Back Bay
To be that way

So do not be stunned it's
Weede and Art Lund.  It's
Something that the pundits
Knew so long ago
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 08:47:43 AM »

I see that tomorrow will be Day 250 of the new notes format.  It's a shame that they were originally made password protected  to protect a former DR who has never used them and has requested that her name not even be mentioned at this here site.  I guess BK could have saved his pennies and not changed the site.

BK - Maybe the reason attendance is so low at the Collector's Show is that they seem to have one every other month and people don't want to go that often.  Cut them back to two or three a year and watch attendance rise.

The Broadway Channel on Music Choice is now playing a BK produced track - Liz Callaway doing "Standing on the Corner" from her Frank Loesser CD.  I just noticed that in typical BK fashion, "nickle Coke®" has been changed to "Diet Coke®".

Yes, it is funny, isn't it?  I originally went to this type of board at the behest of the above-alluded to dear reader, who assured me that's all it would take for said dear reader to feel safe so said dear reader could post whenever said dear reader felt like it.  It was done to protect said dear reader from someone who was causing said dear reader lots of problems, both on and off the site.  As soon as I spent my pennies and did this AS A FAVOR for said dear reader, said dear reader disappeared from the site forever, and decided it was better to be in contact with the person who was causing those problems than me or this site.  Choices.  Whatever works, say I.  But I have no problems with the board as it is and like its features, which for me outweigh any negatives.  Also, it DOES keep certain Uncouth Interlopers away.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »

How about at a musical?

The "Opening Doors" sequence in the second act of Merrily We Roll Along was worth the wait for its uncanny accuracy in depicting my life.  I saw it with John Rubinstein and Chip Zien.  Combine the two and you get . . . me.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 08:55:40 AM »

We must be off, for the older grandlad's birthday party.  E and T we are, tra-la.

(And this will bring us one post closer to getting out of cinerama.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2004, 08:56:46 AM »

When I first heard about this movie being made, I was quite puzzled.  I still am.  I'm just worried about how the story - which is told in a relatively few sentences - will be expanded for the big screen.  Let's just say if the expected running time is over 90 minutes - well, even over 75 or 80 - I will be very wary of going to the theatre to see it.  But as we know, and as they say, Anything is possible.

I bought a copy of the book for myself a few years ago just to see what all the "fuss" (but a good "fuss") and reviews were about.  It really is a beautiful book.  And every time I get to the end, I'm still caught slightly off guard.

I won't spoil it for you, but it is one of those books that you can read while standing or sitting in the bookstore for just a few minutes.  Now, if you were to closely examine the illustrations, then that would take a little bit more time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2004, 09:17:05 AM »

How about at a musical?

The "Opening Doors" sequence in the second act of Merrily We Roll Along was worth the wait for its uncanny accuracy in depicting my life.  I saw it with John Rubinstein and Chip Zien.  Combine the two and you get . . . me.

OH!  Sorry for my omission... Of course you can pick a musical or a musical sequence from a musical!

Musicals-wise, after living some more "life", I finally got the meaning of "Finishing the Hat" from Sunday In the Park with George.  I had always liked the song, and I've always liked the show - both acts! - but the whole metaphor, the real metaphor of that song didn't really speak to me until two summers ago.  I still am caught off guard when I remember how I found myself crying in the middle of the first act while sitting in the Kennedy Center Opera House.  It all, for better or worse, finally made sense to me.

Movies-wise, "Madame Sousatzka" with Shirley MacLaine as an eccentric piano teacher had more than a few "close to home" moments in it for me.  The whole "problem" of how to end that teacher-student relationship - when it really has become almost a familial relationship - is something I - and countless other music students - can identify with.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2004, 09:24:46 AM »

From DR Michael Shayne

Left to right

From BK
Nope.  Albin is on the left, and Nick, with his then flowing mane of hair, is on the right.

Thank you both for the captions and clarifications.  Great pic!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up