Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A NUTSHELL  (Read 20389 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IN A NUTSHELL
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2004, 08:34:48 PM »

I was hoping Assassins would have stayed opend to September I had planned to see it.
I'm sorry you're going to miss it.  I was disappointed, der Brucer even more so than I, but I wish you could have made up your own mind about it rather than get the news secondhand.  After all, my tastes aren't always in synch with everyone else's, and you might have pointed out things that were done onstage that I missed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2004, 08:35:53 PM »

Well in Canada the Liberal party won a minority government. The first in 25 years. Better than the PC who drove the country into the ground. And that is all I will say about politics. One brief opinion.

Happy dance around my basement bedroom when the CBC announced that one.

*dance dance dance dance dance*

And that is all I will do about politics.  One brief happy dance :)

(oooh... and the candidate I worked for won!  yippers)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 08:36:25 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2004, 08:37:26 PM »

and that last dance can also incorporate a Page Six Dance as well :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2004, 08:45:52 PM »

Someone mentioned "The High and the Mighty" above.  Now that's a movie song that should have been somewhere on the AFI list.  My guess is that the John Wayne estate would not let them show a clip so they didn't include the song.  I still whistle it whenever I walk onto an airplane.
The High and the Mighty is included on the New York Times' "1000 best movies ever made" list.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2004, 08:51:58 PM »

I meant to mention how happy I am DR Jose got back his piano books, but PLEASE don't ever leave anything you prize there again. As honest as you hope people might be, temptation is great, and I've learned painful lessons in the past that other people just don't prize your own possessions very much.

Until the DVD of the Lansbury SWEENEY TODD came out a few months ago, I had been without it for over two years because I dutifully loaned it to a director I had worked for before (hard to say no to someone who might use you in a future production), and he promptly misplaced it.
Amen, sadly.  Der Brucer loaned out our copies of a few OCRs to a theater director, and we never saw them again.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2004, 09:00:04 PM »

Amen, sadly.  Der Brucer loaned out our copies of a few OCRs to a theater director, and we never saw them again.

I certainly learned a lesson from it. Now, if someone wants to borrow something, I make them a copy if it's copyable; if not, they have to watch it here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2004, 09:01:23 PM »

What makes the idea that the numbers were padded seem silly is that studios DO NOT PAD GROSSES....   Therefore, NOBODY is going to overinflate the grosses 'cause it means folks'll have to be paid more than the movie earned otherwise.
Huh?  Say WHAT?  

How quickly people forget.

The courts ordered Eddie Murphy to pay Art Buchwald a percentage of his earnings (19%) for the film Coming to America (1988) because Murphy didn't credit Buchwald with the idea for the film.  After that, there was a very public fiasco about the accounting on the film, where it was claimed that Murphy and the studio hadn't earned a dime on the film, dispite it's having earned millions at the box office.  It was subsequently discovered that these accounting practices were common throughout the film industry.

And there is no evidence that the accounting practices have changed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2004, 09:08:27 PM »

Re: the Assassins closing and the GOP convention.

They're not related.

Politicians are not theater goers, as a rule.  Not even the gay ones.  Der Brucer and I spent a week in NYC for a Log Cabin convention not too many years ago, and the only ones taking the opportunity to see any theater were der Brucer, myself, and one other couple.  We left a reception early because we had tix for a play, and got nothing but strange looks.

And anyone in town to protest the GOP convention isn't going to have the time to spend going to the theater, either.  They have other agendas to pursue.

Sports events are another story entirely.   I think it has to do with the uniforms.  :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2004, 09:11:47 PM »

There are lyrics and I think they are sung over the credits.  Regarding "Lara's Theme" and "Colonel Bogey", I think RIVER KWAI and DR. ZHIVAGO may have been considered British films.
No, they were both considered American productions.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2004, 09:21:17 PM »

Still catching up on today's posts.  We were off to see the grandlads again, since der Brucer forgot to deliver an important present yesterday (a GameBoy or something like that).  Two days in a row with that family is too much.

But I've got dinner to finish making.  Two days in a row with that family's cooking would have been hell, ideed!

Back shortly.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »

Robin, at the time, if a writer made over a certain amount of money (and I did on Kull), you weren't allowed to take your name off it or use a pseudonym, I believe.  That may have changed recently.  

You fight for sole credit even when you hate the movie because it means more money for you on the back-end and with residuals and ancillary markets.  My theory is they deprived me of artistic satisfaction, they're not going to deprive me of financial satisfaction.  So I keep my name on even the things that embarrass me.  After all, whoever remembers the screenwriter.  And every film you get made in Hollywood, whether good or bad, gives you a few more years of viability.  Any film gives you three years; a good one or a successful one can give you about five to ten.

Finally saw it!  F9/11.  Let me say I think it is Moore's most even-handed film.  Very few of those moments, wonderfully audacious as they are, where you cringe with discomfort when he confronts people and embarrasses them...or rather let's them embarrass themselves.

No doubt the Bush claque will try to discredit, discount, and dispute the movie's facts.  But even if they could spin in such a way to throw two-thirds of this movie into doubt (and I don't believe for a moment that they can successfully do that), there is still one third that is indisputable and irrefutable and that no amount of spinning can spin away.  And that third is enough for any reasonably intelligent person not to vote for him again.

Most damning are the very words and images with which the Troika plus One of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Ashcroft hang themselves.  And why do all of these men have sneering, self-satisfied, smug, arrogant smirks on their faces?  I guess it's their contempt for the American public showing.  "We know you know we're bastards (except for the dumbasses that voted for us) and we don't care."

Most disturbing: the sociopaths we're nurturing in our armed forces.  Talking about the lewd and crude music they listen to as they gleefully charge to the slaughter, mocking a corpse with crass innuendo, and, long before the prison scandal, putting bags over prisoners' heads and posing with them as though they were trophies.

Most telling:  gum-snapping Britney Spears with her puerile political analysis typifying a vast part of Bush's constitutency and showing why such a numbskull got elected in the first place.

Funniest:  The end, where Bush can't remember the source of his quote or the quote.  When he has a written speech, he's inarticulate; when he talks off the cuff, he's incompetent.

I find the whole thing a more damning indictment against the mainstream media than even Bush.  Why have they been sleeping the last several years?  Why have they allowed cheap patroitism and flag brandishing to stand in their way, making them too timid to investigate newsworthy stories, ask the tough questions, and demand answers from these people?

I left the film feeling very sad and depressed.  And feeling violated.  We don't have a government.  We have a regime.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2004, 10:03:55 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Reading of our backup play went well, although one of our actors is not so happy because he would have so much less to do in it.  We're still hoping that our original choice (yes, This is Our Youth) will come through - we can wait another two or three days for a decision, but that's it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2004, 10:13:28 PM »

Dinner is done.  And I'll get back to the rest of the day's posts in a short while.

First, though, there was one development while at the grandlad's.

It seems that I have power!  I am one to be obeyed!

Unlike yesterday, which was a birthday party, today was a swimming lesson, with a qualified and trained instructor (who was quite good, and undercharges).  Again, we had a large group of youngsters to deal with, along with a group of mothers trying to control or at  least watch over their broods.

Der Brucer's daughter is a disaster at controling the kids, if anyone hasn't figured that out yet.  She is quick to anger, and the kids ignore her screaming.

Well, at one point, the older kids were having thier swimming lesson, the younger kids having gone first.  William, her younger son (and our younger grandlad) was insistant that he wanted to get back in the pool.  He had already been changed back out of his swimtrunks, but he wanted what he wanted, at a very high volume.  Der B's daughter shouted back no, and that that was that, and stomped back into the house.

No sooner had she done that, and William started pulling his pants down, trunks or no trunks.  I was seated about seven yards away, all the way across the deck, still listening and observing all of this.  Suddenly, to William's surprise, my voice came booming across the deck.

"WILLIAM, PULL YOUR PANTS BACK UP."

The pants were back up in a split second, as William's eyes got big as saucers.  He didn't know where that voice had come from, but he knew it was one to be obeyed.

(Der Brucer almost ruined the moment by chortling loudly from inside the house.  Almost, but not quite.)

Later, one of the other swimming students, a troublemaker named Jake, had finished his part of the older kid's lesson, and had decided that he wanted to play in the pool with an inflatable boat.  This was in spite of the fact that some of the students were still in class.  Jake's mother told him no, to not put the boat in the pool.  He didn't stop moving towards the water with the boat.  Der Brucer told him sternly not to put the boat in the pool.  Jake still kept carrying the boat to the water.  

"JAKE, PUT THE BOAT BACK."

Jake froze.  Then he put the boat back where he had found it, without even looking for where the voice had come from.

I am not G*d.  But it's nice to know I can sound like him when I want to.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2004, 10:17:53 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Reading of our backup play went well, although one of our actors is not so happy because he would have so much less to do in it.  We're still hoping that our original choice (yes, This is Our Youth) will come through - we can wait another two or three days for a decision, but that's it.
This Is Our Youth?  What kind of sucky title is that?

We need a new title.  Parents Are From Venus, Youth Are From Mars.

Youth Fly Over the Cuckoo's Nest...Constantly.

The Days of Youth and Roses.

All's Quiet on the Youth Front ... no, totally unbelievable, have to try something else...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »

Well, the rumor has it that Disney didn't wanna release the movie because:

a.) Disneyland is in Florida, and:
b.) Dubya's brudda, Jeb Bush, is the Governor of Florida, and therefore:
c.) If Disney got Jeb miffed, some perks the Governor has been giving the Disney Corporation just might evaporate (if you know what I mean, and I think you do).  

I dunno how much truth (if any!) is behind this; frankly, it seems a bit dubious to moi...after all, the Disney people are a big draw down to Florida, and one would think that messing with The Mouse wouldn't be the wisest course of action.  
No, it's Walt Disney World that is in Florida.  And Jeb would not be in a position to put the Disney corp down, given how many jobs Disney generates in the Orlando area.  There would be too many votes at stake, and one film wouldn't be worth it.

(OK, so this is basically what someone else wrote earlier.  Big deal.  Great minds think alike, or something like that.  Maybe grating ones.  Whatever.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 10:45:13 PM by S. Woody White »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2004, 10:24:37 PM »

Phoenix Theatre did a production of THIS IS OUR YOUTH almost 2 years ago, I think.  

I suppose it might give the wrong impression if it were retitled:  FLAMING YOUTH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2004, 10:24:56 PM »

Frankly, I'm just pleased as punch that White Chicks didn't open at number one.  Instead, it opened at number two, which seems incredibly appropriate.
This may surprise some people, but I readily agree!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Fairfax, VA!  After getting some more cleaning done around the apartment, I ended up leaving Richmond right before 10:00.  It was a beautiful night for a drive - upper 60s - and, thankfully, I checked the traffic reports on the radio just in time to take the detour around the road paving project on 95 tonight.  I got off at the last possible exit before the road work began and the traffic was already backed up to the exit - which was still eight(!) miles from where the construction started.

So, now I'm back at my parents' house enjoying the high-speed and wireless cable modem!  Unfortunately, my brother and his family headed down to Myrtle Beach this afternoon, so I won't be getting any quality time with the nieces and nephews this time round.  But since I have a date tomorrow night, and the Wolf Trap Gala on Wednesday, it's OK. ;)

RE: This Is Our Youth - I like the play, but there are better plays out there.  And as a bunch of theatre companies have found out, TIOY only works and plays to a specific audience.  For myself, it almost seems too specific at times to have a "universal" appeal, identification.  Lobby Hero is good too, but suffers from the same fault, imho.

OK - Since I have the high speed connection, I'm off to check out some film trailers and sound clips and download some software updates.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2004, 10:49:23 PM »

On of those nights that got away from me -- hence no posting. I'm back -- not that I was away.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2004, 11:06:31 PM »

Tomorrow evening I'm dining with an old friend at a new establishment called Minibar... "Small plates, big vibe." Tasty tapas. Nothing over $14.  "...on the border of Hollywood and Studio City, so it has that laid-back Valley vibe with a splash of LA cool."
It's either going to be totally vomit-on-the-floor-inducing or fun.
Will, of course, report.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up