Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCH GOINGS ON  (Read 24153 times)

Ben

Re:SUCH GOINGS ON
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2004, 12:46:42 PM »

Ah, yes, DR Jay, you caught my fractured grammar. I want the strawberries, not the rabbits. I have never eaten rabbit although as a child in Windsor Canada (just across the river from Detroit) I ate frogs legs. My great grandmother lived in Windsor and we were visiting and went to a restaurant and they were on the menu. My father said the usual "they taste like Chicken" Haven't had them since so I don't really remember how they taste.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 12:47:43 PM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »

JRand---
MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF is finally getting released on CD later this summer.  It's not the LP but a new recording reaturing primarily the cast that did it at Mufti last fall and will have 20 minutes of music not on the LP.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »

Thanks WEL....wonderful news.  I think we have discussed this before.  It is a pleasant and surprisingly complex score with sweet music and lyrics that are perfect for the period!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2004, 01:13:22 PM »

Ben - I went to the University of Windsor (Theater School)

Re rabbits - Yes. Used to see them all the time in Boulder. And deer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2004, 01:20:26 PM »

WEL I will post again what Steven Endelman the musical supervisor of DE-LOVELY said...it made me shudder:

"...Endelman...was a fan of Porter's music, but he 'wasn't a Cole Prter zealot,' he says.  'I wasn't somebody who was going to say "Oh my God, we can't do that because it's going to be sacreligious to the written notes of Cole Porter." ' thus Endelman rearranged, for example, the usual rumba-like rhythm of 'Begin the Beguine' into a much slower, melancholy lament...."  

And more:

"The filmmakers went after a variety of recording artists to perform Porter's songs in the film, looking to attract as wide a demographic as possible."

In trying to please everybody, my guess is that they will please very few.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2004, 01:23:44 PM »

Has anyone a clue/clew/clough where TD has disappeared to?

He hasn't posted since night before last!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

Back from a lovely afternoon at the pool. Clouds mixed with hot sunshine, but the humidity was not high so it wasn't uncomfortable even when the sun was at its brightest. Supposed to rain for the next two days, so probably no more pool until Friday at the earliest and most probably not until next week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

DR Jrand quoted and wrote:

""The filmmakers went after a variety of recording artists to perform Porter's songs in the film, looking to attract as wide a demographic as possible."

In trying to please everybody, my guess is that they will please very few."

This is such stupid thinking. The people who would come to see a biography of Cole Porter want the music to be respected. Those who aren't Porter fans, or who don't know who he is, are not going to come in sufficient numbers to justify disappointing those who revere Porter. I know *I* have no intention of going to see it. I'll give it a whirl once it shows up on HBO/Showtime/Starz.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2004, 01:32:48 PM »

Back from a lovely afternoon at the pool. Clouds mixed with hot sunshine, but the humidity was not high so it wasn't uncomfortable even when the sun was at its brightest. Supposed to rain for the next two days, so probably no more pool until Friday at the earliest and most probably not until next week.

This weather forecast from Charlotte NC brought to you by the folks at the Naturalized Weather Epicenter.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2004, 01:32:49 PM »

For those who were fans of the HBO series OZ, actors from that show make up THE JURY tonight at 9 p.m. EDT on Fox.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2004, 01:34:40 PM »

Re: DE LOVELY... if the Soundtrack is any indication, see it as soon as it opens because it is not going to last.  While there are a couple of good tracks, on the whole the album is an insult to any Cole Porter fan.  I haven't seen it yet, but I understand one of the highlights is "Cole" and "Linda" walking out of a theatre showing Cary Grant in "Night and Day" and making fun of the way it portrayed them.  At least that film had Mary Martin singing "My Heart Belongs to Daddy".
"The numbers are staged with wit and style."
-- Kirk Honeycutt, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2004, 01:34:43 PM »

Until "Delovely" opens, I find it rather hard to sit in judgment of it.    

It might just work...every bit of it.

I loved "Wicked" and have read some rather discordant opinions on this forum about it....I have no doubt at all that "Delovely" will have attempted to honor Porter's legacy.

I listened to some of the samples on the soundtrack at the Amazon listing and was pleasantly surprised.  Alanis Morrisette does a terrific "Let's Do It," Elvis Costello is respectable with "Let's Misbehave."  I'm not sure about Sheryl Crow's "Begin the Beguine," but it's all "context," isn't it....what's happening on the screen at the time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 01:41:22 PM by RLP »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2004, 01:44:45 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Not really much to add right now...

I've been spending the afternoon inside, when I really should be outside enjoying the weather...

Kinda bored, but that's OK...

Been catching up on stuff on the web...

Chatting...

-Oh, and waiting for my date to call me back to confirm for tonight...But since it's 4:40pm, and we had planned to meet at 5:00pm...  Hmm...  He's a doctor so something could have come up, but...

Ah, well...

-I also really miss my nieces and nephew - I was sooo looking forward to spending time with them this week.  Timing is everything.  But at least I have all their "treats" to keep me culinarily satisfied while they are away. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2004, 01:45:47 PM »

Hmm... My previous post really sounds "depressed".

I'm not.

Just having a nice and easy afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2004, 01:53:33 PM »

Oh RLP you are NO fun!

But I think MATTH has a valid point....those of us who want to see the film and know Porter's music really would prefer it be done as written....those who DON'T know the music will not be attracted to it because it's sung by someone they know...how do "they" know that young people wouldn't enjoy the music as it was originally presented?  They won't even give it a chance.

Personally I probably won't see it on the big screen, unless the Evil Kurt wants to go...I am not a Kevin Kline fan...but I will watch it on a pay service and maybe even buy the DVD.  

I am not sitting in judgment on the film itself (although Jay gave us a nice review of it a few weeks ago) - just of the attitude of those in charge of the MOST IMPORTANT part of any musical biopic...the MUSIC.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2004, 01:54:56 PM »

Looking forward to hearing about DRJOSE's date!  A doctor.....child....it's a dream come true.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2004, 01:59:41 PM »

My answer to both of your questions DRJENNIFER is yes.  We have a few rabbits living under a large fir tree in our yard...and now and then the little bunnies hop out looking around and then immediately hop back under the tree.  I am hoping the neighborhood cats don't spy them

I'm not sure if you live in a country area, but I don't think bunnies are common here.  I mean I live in a suburb of Montreal.  But it is very developed.  I don't know where the rabbit came from or where he lives (or eats).  It's just so bizarre every time I see it.

And yes....those tickets were for a raffle NOT the mailing/contact list.  We ask for people to sign up for the mailing list, but we don't make calls.  I know the Indiana Repertory Theatre does....they used to use their AUDITION lists to make calls.  Like someone who was never cast was going to spend money to see a show there.

And "don't call" would have been a good response.

It didn't all click until after I had hung up.  Otherwise I would have probably said something about them using the raffle tickets to get their mailing list.

At the very least I should have asked for my tickets to their next show (since they were calling my raffle ticket). :)

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2004, 02:01:58 PM »

Hey DR Jason, since you are around, what is tonight's menu?  And go into as much detail as you can!  I love hearing about these foods I never eat.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2004, 02:03:12 PM »

It Should Happen to You is being remade with Kate Hudson. Kate Hudson the '04 Judy Holiday...
Is there anything that's NOT going to be remade??

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2004, 02:03:40 PM »

Oh RLP you are NO fun!

But I think MATTH has a valid point....those of us who want to see the film and know Porter's music really would prefer it be done as written....those who DON'T know the music will not be attracted to it because it's sung by someone they know...how do "they" know that young people wouldn't enjoy the music as it was originally presented?  They won't even give it a chance.

Personally I probably won't see it on the big screen, unless the Evil Kurt wants to go...I am not a Kevin Kline fan...but I will watch it on a pay service and maybe even buy the DVD.  

I am not sitting in judgment on the film itself (although Jay gave us a nice review of it a few weeks ago) - just of the attitude of those in charge of the MOST IMPORTANT part of any musical biopic...the MUSIC.

I find it highly amusing that folks think there is only one way to present a song.

Cole Porter never seemed to mind that different artists performed his work at different tempi.  If he didn't mind, who the heck are "we" to mind?

And until the film is released and the use of the music is deemed wrong somehow, it's totally premature to make such judgments.

We get this type of thing every once in a while on this forum, and I find it disheartening because I think most of us generally love the music.   Is it so terribly wrong to wait and see?  Nothing I've reac that was "quoted" seems at all foreboding or horrid.  Yet the reactions seem knee-jerk and totally skidmark anal.

It may well be horrendous.  My point is, no one here KNOWS that to be true.  Stephen Endelman is an experienced composer/conductor.  It's probable that Porter experts were consulted, as well.

Think back to the orchestral scoring for "Evil Under the Sun" -- all Porter, all instrumental, some of it at different tempi from that which the songs were originally performed on Broadway or in movies (or both).  And it worked beautifully.

What's FUN about trashing something before it's even released?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:11:20 PM by RLP »

Emily

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2004, 02:09:16 PM »

I have never seen a bunny that wasn't a pet.

I feel so out of the fluffy-tailed-rodent loop :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2004, 02:10:58 PM »

Looking forward to hearing about DRJOSE's date!  A doctor.....child....it's a dream come true.

Well, since we were supposed to meet at 5:00...  And it's past 5:00 now... Hmm...  Hope springs eternal...

*And, DR JRand53 - It actually took me a few reads to get the inflection in "A doctor....child....it's a dream come true." ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »

Yes, RLP, but these are specific songs that are supposed to be presented at  the time they were written by Porter at a specific time.  I am not trashing it, I am dismayed at the liberties they are taking, when they NEED NOT be to present the story they are claiming to present.

Porter probably wouldn't mind, that's true, but even Peter Bogdanavich was fairly faithful to notes and arrangements in his AT LONG LAST LOVE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2004, 02:12:18 PM »

LOL...DRJOSE....is he meeting you at your house du jour?

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2004, 02:18:28 PM »

DR RLP, we've had this discussion before, the last time about TROY. I am NOT passing judgment on a film to say that I have no interest in seeing it. From the number of articles I read about the making of films and then reviews from a number of different sources, this is how *I* decide what will get my entertainment dollar and what won't. That's what reviews and making-of features prior to a movie's release are for. Otherwise, all we have is advertising which we KNOW is going to tell us the movie is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

No thanks. I'll trust my own instincts, and I know you'll trust yours.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2004, 02:19:46 PM »

Yes, RLP, but these are specific songs that are supposed to be presented at  the time they were written by Porter at a specific time.  I am not trashing it, I am dismayed at the liberties they are taking, when they NEED NOT be to present the story they are claiming to present.

Porter probably wouldn't mind, that's true, but even Peter Bogdanavich was fairly faithful to notes and arrangements in his AT LONG LAST LOVE.

Hmmmm....faithful the way "Star!" was faithful to the Lawrence catalog?  

And kept ticketbuyers away in droves?

Again...unless someone has seen the film and knows that the music is being presented inappropriately -- something I believe is being perpetrated as conjecture at this point -- such commentary seems like one of those reviews written by a critic who never saw the play.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2004, 02:22:35 PM »

DR RLP wrote:  "... knows that the music is being presented inappropriately -- something I believe is being perpetrated as conjecture at this point -- such commentary seems like one of those reviews written by a critic who never saw the play."

Reviews have been out for DE-LOVELY for a month and a half. It's already been seen at Cannes, and many critics have already filed opinions.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2004, 02:24:38 PM »

And?

I've seen not one mention of a review or anything from anyone has seen the film.

I've seen not one reference to any "making of" feature or contents.

I've seen pronouncements and conjecture and dismissal.

But nothing to back it up.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:27:28 PM by RLP »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »

I just wrote something....and decided not to post it.

It doesn't matter....no one ever wins these discussions.  The back and forth is fruitless.

I do not concede, but I will move on.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2004, 02:27:54 PM »

;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up