Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE I'S HAVE IT  (Read 38256 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE I'S HAVE IT
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:11:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had I's, and now it is time for you to post until the I cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE I'S HAVE IT
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUTHARK!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:17 AM »

Good morning, all.

My goodness, it's nice to be back and to have had a night's sleep without some fershlugginer mishegas (it's still the Jewish New Year, right?) to get up for.  The house feels great, and I am greatly enjoying a fresh pot of decent coffee (the Howe Caverns Motel did not excel in the decent coffee department) and relaxing over the daily notes until the cat boarding place is open and the kids can come home.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:38:17 AM »

Good morning, all! I have two intense days coming up today and tomorrow with meetings with The Man from Philadelphia. This afternoon the meeting is with New World Records and tomorrow morning, the meeting is about next year's budget and money. Two words I do not understand.

Before this afternoon's meeting, I've got a trip to the post office to ship a package to North Carolina and an invoice to Florida. Then I have to put the new duet for the Appalachian show into a different time signature, going from 3/4 to 4/4. I hope there's time to chill out before the meeting.

More coffee.

And a belated wish for a happy Rosh Hashana!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »

Hope all is going well for everyone. 

Hoping for a new year of change and renewal.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:00:40 AM »

DR JOHN G I finally watched UNITED 93 earlier this year - it was hard to watch, but I am glad I did.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:07 AM »

I still have that Nicholas Cage WTC movie - but I am not ready for that yet....even after 11 years.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »

Glad to hear that Season Two of BOX is moving right along!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

TOD:

Transistor Radio - Sears

Phonograph - a 4-speed single disk player that we got from the Spiegel catalog for my 11th birthday.....can't find a picture of one similar to it.....it did have on-off-volume and bass/treble knobs that turned INSIDE the case.  I loved being able to play my own records in my room....and buying my own records, too.

TV - first I bought myself was a 19" Panasonic color television set.  It lasted for a long time and had a very good picture on it, although tuning it was not always easy.....just remember, never adjust your color during a commercial!!!

VCR - Sylvania with a wired remote....I bought it in 1985 with some of the money I received from the first play I wrote that was produced at the Phoenix Theatre!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:45:40 AM »

And I am off for Toyland! I will check in from there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »

TOD:

Transistor Radio - don't know, but very likely Sears, as were most things my family bought then (early 1960s).  Whatever it was, I LOVED IT.

Record Player - as a child I had one of those kids' 78-rpm players.  The first "real" one I owned as a teen was a Sears (yes, Sears) portable stereo one (with removable speakers for better stereo spread), an advance going-away-to-college gift.  Liked it okay, but by then I'd already begun learning about the wonderful world of better components, and in my second year of school I bought my first Dual turntable (why yes, of course I can tell you which model it was:  the 1009) with Empire cartridge, a used Lafayette tube amp, and a pair of AR speakers.  LOVED all of that, and later I wished I'd kept that tube amp instead of giving it to my parents where it finally became trashed.

TV - the little 9" one (COLOR!--don't remember the brand) my roommate and I bought on a gas credit card mail-order deal in 1972 for that first apartment in Hollywood.  First color set for either of us, and we were thrilled with it.  Some years later, living in my own place, I graduated to a 13" Gold Star which I also thrilled to.

VCR - I'd used a 1979 RCA piano-key-style VHS owned by roommates.  I was thrilled with the new invention but not with the quality of the picture (and as a side note, I quickly learned that most people I knew didn't have that reservation -- they saw no difference between a VCR picture and a broadcast one!).  My own first one was a Toshiba Beta Hi-Fi bought in early 1983.  Much happier with this one, and THRILLED with the sound as played through the current stereo system.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »

Good morning, all.

Monday morning vibes to all.

Has anybody heard from Danise in the last few days?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:33 AM »

TOD:

My first VCR was a Betamax.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

I have set up the space for this afternoon's meeting and had some breakfast. Now, I'll get to work on this duet.

John G.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:58 AM »

TOD:

My first record player was one of this children's portables. It was white and it folded in half into a carrying case. LPs were larger than the case, so they hung over the edge when you played them. There was no long spindle in the middle, so you couldn't play a stack of 45s. Still, it had enough volume and a decent enough sound that you could enjoy it.

My first transistor was a cheapie giveaway at some department store opening. It had one of those one-ear earphones, and I played it forever. The big station in Louisville on the AM dial back then was WAKY and it drove my parents wacky when my sisters and I played it.

I did make a transistor radio for Cub Scouts. It was little more than soldering a few parts together and following the instructions. I didn't understand what any of it meant, and the kit was not helpful in that regard. But the radio worked. And that was way cool back then.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »

BK would have loved my house this morning. The neighbor spent a good twenty minutes grinding his big diesel truck this morning trying to get it started. At 6:30 a.m.

John G.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »

Glad to read that you enjoyed Memphis, MBarnum.

I saw the show at the movie theaters when they did a broadcast there, which was the version that eventually showed up on TV. That begs a question: I saw that it won an Emmy award the other night. Why would something made for movie theaters be eligible for a TV award?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »

BK would have loved my house this morning. The neighbor spent a good twenty minutes grinding his big diesel truck this morning trying to get it started. At 6:30 a.m.
Yikes. Did you have your moose gun handy?
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUTHARK!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  A - YOU'RE ADORABLE

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:11 AM »

My first transitor radio was an AMC, I believe, which was a Shillito's Department Store brand.  Shillito's was in Cincinnati, part of the Federated chain of stores, for which my father was an architect, so we got 20% off by shopping there.  I think I still have it in a memory box somewhere.  It's a little bigger than a deck of cards.  Has a leather case with a strap and a little pouch that snaps on the side of it to carry the ear phone.  I think it may still even work.   With the ear phone plugged in, I used to listen to Moon River, a show of organ music and poetry, every night before I went to bed.

My first record player I got for graduation.  Don't remember the brand, but I held onto it for many, many years because it had the capability of playing 78rpm.  It went to LA with me and I held onto it, even after it was replaced by later models.  In fact, I don't think I got rid of it until right before I moved back here.  It was stored in my garage until it finally went to the Goodwill.

My first TV was a small b&w that I bought with money I earned during the summer between freshman and sophomore years of college.  Again, I think it was a Shillito's brand.  It cost me $68, as I recall.  I bought it so I could watch old movies in my dorm room instead of trekking to the University Med Center to watch them in the lobby there (all the dorm TVs were usually tuned to the Tonight Show with a crowd watching.  I could hardly say:  "Hey, guys, let's watch Hope and Crosby in the Road to Morocco instead.")  Again, I held on to this TV a long time, until I replaced it with a colour one in LA.

First VCR was bought in LA.  I think it was a JVC. I bought it with my first film money from the Sherlock Holmes films.  Don't remember when I finally replaced it.

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  After I watched last night's episode of BROADWAY OR BUST, I channel-surfed for a while and then went to bed early.  This morning I'm catching up with some paperwork.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »

Good morning to all from Montreal
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »

TOD

First video player was a RCA Player. Huge thing compared to what can be gotten today if one wants to buy a video player.
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 07:57:21 AM »

DR JOHN G I finally watched UNITED 93 earlier this year - it was hard to watch, but I am glad I did.
I was ultimately glad I did, too.

And, yes, I still have the Nicholas Cage movie, which seems way too Hollywood in comparison.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »

My first transitor radio was an AMC, I believe, which was a Shillito's Department Store brand.  Shillito's was in Cincinnati, part of the Federated chain of stores, for which my father was an architect, so we got 20% off by shopping there.  I think I still have it in a memory box somewhere.  It's a little bigger than a deck of cards.  Has a leather case with a strap and a little pouch that snaps on the side of it to carry the ear phone.  I think it may still even work.   With the ear phone plugged in, I used to listen to Moon River, a show of organ music and poetry, every night before I went to bed.

Have some fond memories of shopping at Shillito's when I was younger.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »

TOD - My first transistor radio was a 12th birthday present from my parents in 1962.  About the same time my mother won a transistor radio from Reader's Digest.  Both had leatherette covers and ear phones.  I don't remember the brands.

With money from my first regular job (babysitting) in the summer of 1964 I bought an RCA portable stereo with detachable speakers that I used through high school, college, and grad school.  When I replaced it in 1974 with a Sony (whose speakers I'm still using), I gave the portable to a teacher friend whose special ed students wrote me a sweet thank-you note.

My first TV was also a Sony 12" black and white that I bought in 1974 or 1975, probably with an income tax refund.  I bought it at the newly-opened Middletown location of another now-extinct Cincinnati department store - McAlpin's.

Richard and I didn't buy a VCR when they first became available, but he'd borrow one from the school district when we wanted to watch a movie.  I'm pretty sure we had one of our own by the time Rob came along in 1985.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »

I had the leather case and pouch for the single ear phone.  That was THE thing to have, as a junior high or high school kid then, and THE radio station was WQAM in Miami -- "Tiger Radio".

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »

WKNR - "Keener" - was THE radio station in Detroit when I got my transistor.  It's one of the few things I can remember how to say in Spanish, because we had to introduce ourselves and tell our favorite radio station.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »

I never lived in Cincinnati, but through visits to my parents who moved there from Florida in 1970, I well remember Shillito's, McAlpin's, and Pogue's (hello - DR Charles Pogue??).  And above all, the original Lazarus from my childhood in Columbus.  I still love the traditional, original downtown department stores, those that are left.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up