Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE I'S HAVE IT  (Read 38253 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE I'S HAVE IT
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 09:11:21 AM »

Which finally brings us to...

PAGE TWO.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »

I loved those downtown department stores, too, DR ChasSmith.  In Detroit, where I grew up, it was J. L. Hudson, a beautiful store that was imploded in 1998  :'(

And DR JRand probably remembers the downtown Indianapolis L. S. Ayres store where my grandmother worked as a "marker" of high-end costume jewelry.  They'd lock her in a cage where she wrote the price of each piece in blue ballpoint on a small white tag.  She loved to have us visit and have lunch in the Ayres Tea Room.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »

The duet is arranged, scanned and sent to its various venues. I think I'll have a bit of lunch now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Barely eight hours, but that's at least better than six.  I would have probably slept another hour but the neighbor was outside with a friend, jabbering away loudly.  Then they went in his house - so it was very sweet of them to awaken me and then go do something else.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

I compiled a blog of some of my YouTubes from 2009-11 (with some wonderful collaborators) that I thought were fun on topics that seemed hot on the chat boards in those years.  THE YOUTUBE LINKS ARE AT MY BLOGSPOT AT

http://music-and-comedy.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-look-back-at-theater-spoofs-2009-2011.html

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:31:46 PM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

Of course I remember L.S. Ayres, and Wasson's, and Block's - all the big downtown stores.  We would go there now and then....

DR GINNY the Tea Room has been replicated at the Indiana Museum right down to the silverware and waitresses' uniforms...you can still have lunch or tea.....

http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-l-s-ayres-tea-room-at-indiana-state-museum

;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:02:03 AM by Jrand62 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »

Of course I remember L.S. Ayres, and Wasson's, and Block's - all the big downtown stores.  We would go there now and then....

DR GINNY the Tea Room has been replicated at the Indiana Museum right down to the silverware and waitresses' uniforms...you can still have lunch or tea.....

http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-l-s-ayres-tea-room-at-indiana-state-museum

;D
It was a huge treat getting to have lunch with the ladies at one of the tea rooms in Louisville, including L.S. Ayers at the Mall. I always had chicken salad on white toast. The Norstrom's here has a pretty good restaurant. The place at Nieman Marcus not so good.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

DR JRand, been there, done that, bought the cookbook!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »

I'm here after a long weekend.  Show is fine, sounds fine, people can hear fine.  It's was just fine.

I, personally, am not fine.  Think I'm fighting a cold and have a headache this morning.  Which I'm sure is from the Makers Mark over ice I had before bed.  It was a good thought at the time...

John G.

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

Would love to see the revival of "Einstein on the Beach." Glass can get bloated and repetitious at times, but I love this particular piece.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »

I'm here after a long weekend.  Show is fine, sounds fine, people can hear fine.  It's was just fine.

I, personally, am not fine.  Think I'm fighting a cold and have a headache this morning.  Which I'm sure is from the Makers Mark over ice I had before bed.  It was a good thought at the time...
Now, if you had had that Maker's Mark with tea, honey and lemon, you'd be on the road to recovery. That was mother's medicine when I was growing up.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »

Page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »

Two pages?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

I must be dreaming.  We simply can't be on page two.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »

TOD:

My first record player as a child was some plastic player that only played children's records and 45s...it was pink and blue.

I don't recall the brand, but  when I became a teenager I got a hi-fi record player one Christmas that could be carried like a suitcase (albeit square).  It was blue.  The stylus flipped so that one side  of it was for 33 1/3 r.p.m. records and the other side was for 78 r.p.m. records.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »

I must be dreaming.  We simply can't be on page two.

Yes, it's page 2 all right.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »

I don't know what it is about today, but today I love Paris.   

Why? Oh, Why, Do I Love Paris?

I've no idea really.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

Page two? Page 2? Page II?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »

Well, Ron Pullium, I happen to like New York.

I like the city air, I like to drink of of it.

The more I know New York, the more I think of it.

I like the site, the sound and even the stink of it.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »

I was sure the Man from Philadelphia would be here by now. It 2:40 and this meeting is in 20 minutes.

The one drawback is that the rooms above ours is getting a lot of construction. They were noisy all weekend with pounding and thudding. I thought it would be over today. No such luck.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »

I just took a five-minute nap.

Just wanted to let you all know.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »

~~~Feel Better Vibes for DR Matthew!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »

DR JOHN G I finally watched UNITED 93 earlier this year - it was hard to watch, but I am glad I did.

I bought it used for $1 back in April when a local Blockbuster was going out of business...I haven't watched it yet.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

TOD:

My first record player was one of this children's portables. It was white and it folded in half into a carrying case. LPs were larger than the case, so they hung over the edge when you played them. There was no long spindle in the middle, so you couldn't play a stack of 45s. Still, it had enough volume and a decent enough sound that you could enjoy it.

My first transistor was a cheapie giveaway at some department store opening. It had one of those one-ear earphones, and I played it forever. The big station in Louisville on the AM dial back then was WAKY and it drove my parents wacky when my sisters and I played it.

I did make a transistor radio for Cub Scouts. It was little more than soldering a few parts together and following the instructions. I didn't understand what any of it meant, and the kit was not helpful in that regard. But the radio worked. And that was way cool back then.

When I was a kid, I took apart a couple of radios...but wasn't able to put them back together. ::)

;)

John G.

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »

TOD:

My first record player was one of this children's portables. It was white and it folded in half into a carrying case. LPs were larger than the case, so they hung over the edge when you played them. There was no long spindle in the middle, so you couldn't play a stack of 45s. Still, it had enough volume and a decent enough sound that you could enjoy it.

My first transistor was a cheapie giveaway at some department store opening. It had one of those one-ear earphones, and I played it forever. The big station in Louisville on the AM dial back then was WAKY and it drove my parents wacky when my sisters and I played it.

I did make a transistor radio for Cub Scouts. It was little more than soldering a few parts together and following the instructions. I didn't understand what any of it meant, and the kit was not helpful in that regard. But the radio worked. And that was way cool back then.

When I was a kid, I took apart a couple of radios...but wasn't able to put them back together. ::)

;)
I took apart stuff, too. Then I let the parts sit there, like so much fish, as someone might sa
y. Somehow, Samantha from "Bewitched" never stopped by the twitch her nose and reassemble stuff.  :)
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »

Just saw this on Playbill.com:

THE SCREENING ROOM: We Love You, Miss Hannigan! Remembering Tony Winner Dorothy Loudon!!

Sept. 17, 2012, would have marked Tony Award winner Dorothy Loudon's 79th birthday. In celebration of the Broadway comic genius, we look back at Loudon's career with a handful of favorite performances.

John G.

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »

THE SCREENING ROOM: We Love You, Miss Hannigan! Remembering Tony Winner Dorothy Loudon!!

Sept. 17, 2012, would have marked Tony Award winner Dorothy Loudon's 79th birthday. In celebration of the Broadway comic genius, we look back at Loudon's career with a handful of favorite performances.
Thanks, George. I could watch that clip from "Ballroom" just about any time. I also loved the clip from the Gary Moore show of her singing with Dorothy Collins and Eileen Ferrell.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »

Thanks, George. I could watch that clip from "Ballroom" just about any time. I also loved the clip from the Gary Moore show of her singing with Dorothy Collins and Eileen Ferrell.

I have to wait until I get home to watch them.

John G.

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up