Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE I'S HAVE IT  (Read 38254 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE I'S HAVE IT
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »

Listening to Liza.  No judging please.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »

That's Liza with a "z," not Lisa with an "s"?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »

That could be enjoyable.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »

That could be enjoyable.

All old Liza.  Quite enjoyable!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »

Back from a fun lunch and picking up one little package even though I know there will be a big amazon package - ONTRAC is the WORST.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »

And the October Kritzerland show is finally cast. And it's a wonderful group with a couple of new faces, which is always fun for us. Kevin Bailey, Juliana Hansen, Euan Morton (Tony nominee for Taboo), Joanne O'Brien, and Angel Reda (just played Elphaba on one of the Wicked tours), and our two guest stars, Kay Cole (the original Maggie from A Chorus Line) and Jason Graae (the original Cassie - oh, wait, he WANTED to be the original Cassie).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »

From DR Jennifer:
I learned some interesting things there about avid book readers. A bunch of them have no interest in ereaders (well they haven't tried them to know). But they were against getting/using them.

It's funny but before i got my kindle i didn't think i'd love it. And now i cannot even imagine not having it.

I miss the feel of holding a special book and I miss having favorite author's autograph a book.  I miss reading hardbacks and then keeping the ones I like on my bookshelf.

On the other hand, I do like reading an eBook. :)

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

From DR Mike:
I had very nice evening with my extended family bringing in the Jewish New Year

How very, very nice!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:47 PM »

I am looking at tablets.....but I am not converted....yet
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

And the October Kritzerland show is finally cast. And it's a wonderful group with a couple of new faces, which is always fun for us. Kevin Bailey, Juliana Hansen, Euan Morton (Tony nominee for Taboo), Joanne O'Brien, and Angel Reda (just played Elphaba on one of the Wicked tours), and our two guest stars, Kay Cole (the original Maggie from A Chorus Line) and Jason Graae (the original Cassie - oh, wait, he WANTED to be the original Cassie).

What composer/whatever are you highlighting in October?

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »

From Bruce:
No Jews ever invite me anywhere.

We have a few standing invites in L.A. for Passover but we never seem to work it out to be there then.  It was nice to have Chanukah with my aunt & family on Christmas night this last December. 

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »

BK would have loved my house this morning. The neighbor spent a good twenty minutes grinding his big diesel truck this morning trying to get it started. At 6:30 a.m.

:(

Jane

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »

I'm here after a long weekend.  Show is fine, sounds fine, people can hear fine.  It's was just fine.

I, personally, am not fine.  Think I'm fighting a cold and have a headache this morning.  Which I'm sure is from the Makers Mark over ice I had before bed.  It was a good thought at the time...

I hope you feel better.  I too am fighting a cold and can't afford to have one.  We have company coming this week, and best of all little Eli who isn't so little anymore.  I don't want to be kept away from her if I'm sick.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

TOD:

My first record player was one of this children's portables. It was white and it folded in half into a carrying case. LPs were larger than the case, so they hung over the edge when you played them. There was no long spindle in the middle, so you couldn't play a stack of 45s. Still, it had enough volume and a decent enough sound that you could enjoy it.

My first transistor was a cheapie giveaway at some department store opening. It had one of those one-ear earphones, and I played it forever. The big station in Louisville on the AM dial back then was WAKY and it drove my parents wacky when my sisters and I played it.

I did make a transistor radio for Cub Scouts. It was little more than soldering a few parts together and following the instructions. I didn't understand what any of it meant, and the kit was not helpful in that regard. But the radio worked. And that was way cool back then.

When I was a kid, I took apart a couple of radios...but wasn't able to put them back together. ::)

;)

;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »

Keith took this, slightly blurry, photo on Saturday.  The guys are currently wrapping up the prep on the steps before the cement truck arrives.  The wall on the left is finished. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I've been up...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

Good Evening!

...and I'm still up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »

So...

I short....

I woke up around 6:30am... Then decided that I really did not need to bike over to Cambridge to watch the sun come up over Boston... So, I went back to bed for another hour or so.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »

Once I had slept, I woke-woke up, packed my bags, took a shower, got dressed, checked out of my hotel, checked my bags and the bell stand, and then headed out to Boston Common to ride the Swan Boats...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »

Alas, it appears that yesterday was the last day for the Swan Boats for the season. They were all in "dry dock" as it were, taken apart and sitting in neat piles on the shore of the pond.

-But Julia Stiles was filming in the Common this morning. ::) *The background people were cracking me up. A few of them were trying to NOT receded into the background.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »

ONTRAC still hasn't delivered.  It's pretty sickening and I may call them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »

Here's what I posted on one of the Blu-ray forums.  It all stemmed from having seen The Faculty in 35mm the other night.  Its points I hope will be of interest:

Early on Mr. Harris made his point - and it's a good one to remember. In movie theaters, in earlier days, you had release prints that were generations away from the negative. That is what audiences saw. People now seem to think movies all used to look just like Blu-rays look now, but it's so not the case. Now you're usually getting an extraordinarily high-resolution scan off the camera negative or something close to it. These scans reveal things no filmmaker or camera person would have wanted you to see. They knew very well what would end up on screen in a release print generations away from that camera negative. They also knew what the projection throw and lenses would also do. We hear a lot these days, wow I can see the incredible textures on clothing, and the beard coming through on Cary Grant - you NEVER saw that stuff back in the day, because the projected image never had that kind of absolute pin-sharp clarity. So, no, I would have to now agree that audiences back then didn't see the wires of the Lion's tail. a) they weren't focusing on the part of the frame, and b) the inherent quality of the projected image of an IB Tech print from that era would not have given you the detail to see it.

This was all brought home to me last night in the most clear way possible. I went to a 35mm midnight showing here in LA of a little movie called The Faculty. As some here may or may not know, I had a little something to do with it. I hadn't seen it in 35mm since the premiere back in 1998. The only time I've really seen it since was when the Canadian Blu-ray came out - I'm told that transfer is close to the Echo Bridge transfer, which I'll have on Tuesday. It's got great clarity and sharpness. Guess what? The film as projected is nowhere near that clarity and sharpness. It looks like a release print looks like. Late in the film, one of the actresses has an extended nude scene (or semi-nude scene). In one shot, she's in shadows, and you can kind of see her top half but not really. In the projected film, the illusion is perfect. On the Blu-ray, with it's from the negative clarity? You can clearly see that the actress is wearing some sort of flesh covering - many of the Internet reviewers and posters said, "I don't remember that being visible in the theater" - and they didn't because it wasn't. You just don't see it on the release print, but you really see it on the Blu-ray. And there you have it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »

Then I headed off to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts...

Wow!

What a great facility. I had originally only planned to spend two hours in there - that's usually all the Art I can take at once - but ended up checking out the collection for almost three and a half hours.

Oh, and Monkey came along too. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »

ONTRAC still hasn't delivered.  It's pretty sickening and I may call them.

What the frell is ONTRAC?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »

After I left the museum, I hopped on the Green Line to the North End, bought some cannolis at Maria's Pastry Shop, then hopped back on the Green Line to my hotel to await my airport shuttle.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »

And now I'm at the airport. I purposely got here very early just so I could sit down and veg and check the interwebs for a while. JetBlue has yet to equip their planes with WiFi, which is a good thing. I want to sleep as much as possible during my flight, then, hopefully, fall back to sleep after checking into my hotel. I want to get to Pike Place Makret by 7:00am for donuts and coffee! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »

Oh....

One more...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up