Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE I'S HAVE IT  (Read 38357 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE I'S HAVE IT
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

PAGE FOUR!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »

Richard and I went to the Y about 3 this afternoon and just finished our omelet dinner.  Looking forward to the BONES season opener this evening!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »

Of course I remember L.S. Ayres, and Wasson's, and Block's - all the big downtown stores.  We would go there now and then....

DR GINNY the Tea Room has been replicated at the Indiana Museum right down to the silverware and waitresses' uniforms...you can still have lunch or tea.....

http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-l-s-ayres-tea-room-at-indiana-state-museum

;D

What about Caldor's?

In Richmond, I still miss the two classic chains: Thalheimer's and Miller & Rhoads. They each were famous for their tea rooms and their Santa's. Both chains eventually either closed and/or got bought out by Macy's. -Which is why most of the malls in Richmond have two Macy's in them. One of them is usually devoted to Women's clothing and The Cellar, while the other one is Men's and Electronics and Bedding.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

PAGE FOUR S.A.C. DANCE!!

Oh, no!  The plane is flying backwards!

(My copy just arrived and I'm listening to it!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »

Travel vibes to DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »

Listening to Liza.  No judging please.

What's to judge?

Now... If it was her Pet Shop Boys album, well... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »

~~~~~STAY COLD-FREE VIBES TO DR MATTHEW~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

~~~~~STAY COLD-FREE VIBES TO DR MATTHEW~~~~~

Thanks DR Jose.  Wouldn't want to miss you in SF over a darned cold!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Radio - It was a radio/cassette combo from Radio Shack. However, I also bought a free-standing(?) cassette player too.

Record Player - Some Panasonic system.

TV - I think it was either an Edison or Goldstar or whatever the house brand was at Montgomery Ward.

VCR - The top-loading JBL model with the big color buttons.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

And...

Time to head to me gate...

Thank You for the Travel Vibes!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »

DR JoseSPiano will soon be converging on the Pacific Northwest.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »

DR JOSE, SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES!

Jane

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

Every window in this house is filthy.  You can barely see the cement being poured.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

ONTRAC is a delivery service that amazon seems to favor right now - I'm sure they're fine, but whoever is doing the delivering to the mail place just likes to make that the final stop on his route - which is vastly annoying.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

DR JoseSPiano will soon be converging on the Pacific Northwest.

Wish I could go north but obviously too much is going on here. 

Jane

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »

After they pour the concrete they stomp on it for awhile and then smooth it out.  The top step is an example of each.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

I never lived in Cincinnati, but through visits to my parents who moved there from Florida in 1970, I well remember Shillito's, McAlpin's, and Pogue's (hello - DR Charles Pogue??).  And above all, the original Lazarus from my childhood in Columbus.  I still love the traditional, original downtown department stores, those that are left.

Unfortunately, if I was related to the department store Pogues, it wasn't close enough that I inherited any money from them.  Lazarus and Shillito's were both part of the Federated chain. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:48:35 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »

From DR Jennifer:
I learned some interesting things there about avid book readers. A bunch of them have no interest in ereaders (well they haven't tried them to know). But they were against getting/using them.

It's funny but before i got my kindle i didn't think i'd love it. And now i cannot even imagine not having it.

I miss the feel of holding a special book and I miss having favorite author's autograph a book.  I miss reading hardbacks and then keeping the ones I like on my bookshelf.

On the other hand, I do like reading an eBook. :)

Well you seem to read mostly on your nook. I personally still read more real books than ebooks. But i do read a fair amount of ebooks. And i don't expect the book bloggers to only read ebooks. But many of them seem to buy almost every book they read. I personally don't see the need for that. It seems slightly crazy. They do get some free books for review. But I prefer to do a combo of netgalley, library and winning books. Plus i've won a lot of amazon.com giftcards. So if there are any ebooks/mostly e-novellas that i want i just take them off my giftcard total.

Someone actually had an ebook giveaway last week where they were giving away 10 ebooks for each winner in like 6 different genres. I won the YA category. I was pretty happy about that. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »

Went out for chinese food for my niece's birthday. Yummy. So was so happy all day. She just loves her birthday. And she decided she wanted to take pictures with my camera. So i need to see what she did. I did notice a few of myself that i need to delete (as i don't want to see them again).

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »

Feel better vibes for DRs Jane and Matthew. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »

From DR Jennifer:
I learned some interesting things there about avid book readers. A bunch of them have no interest in ereaders (well they haven't tried them to know). But they were against getting/using them.

It's funny but before i got my kindle i didn't think i'd love it. And now i cannot even imagine not having it.

I miss the feel of holding a special book and I miss having favorite author's autograph a book.  I miss reading hardbacks and then keeping the ones I like on my bookshelf.

Well you seem to read mostly on your nook. I personally still read more real books than ebooks. But i do read a fair amount of ebooks. And i don't expect the book bloggers to only read ebooks. But many of them seem to buy almost every book they read. I personally don't see the need for that. It seems slightly crazy. They do get some free books for review. But I prefer to do a combo of netgalley, library and winning books. Plus i've won a lot of amazon.com giftcards. So if there are any ebooks/mostly e-novellas that i want i just take them off my giftcard total.

Someone actually had an ebook giveaway last week where they were giving away 10 ebooks for each winner in like 6 different genres. I won the YA category. I was pretty happy about that. :)
There was a time I almost always purchased books.  Or, after reading a book from the library that I loved I went out and got the hard copy to keep.  It was when I realized I simply can't keep them all, plus there are other ways to spend my money if I'm not keeping the books.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »

From DR Jennifer:

Oh, congrats on winning the book.

If I could read books comfortably I expect I would still do so.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »

Went out for chinese food for my niece's birthday. Yummy. So was so happy all day. She just loves her birthday. And she decided she wanted to take pictures with my camera. So i need to see what she did. I did notice a few of myself that i need to delete (as i don't want to see them again).

LOL

Jane

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

Feel better vibes for DRs Jane and Matthew. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

And I am home! The meeting ended at 6:30 or so and we all went to Eataly for dinner. I am exhausted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »

[There was a time I almost always purchased books.  Or, after reading a book from the library that I loved I went out and got the hard copy to keep.  It was when I realized I simply can't keep them all, plus there are other ways to spend my money if I'm not keeping the books.

But how many books did you buy a year? These people are probably buying like 100-200 books a year.

George

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

[There was a time I almost always purchased books.  Or, after reading a book from the library that I loved I went out and got the hard copy to keep.  It was when I realized I simply can't keep them all, plus there are other ways to spend my money if I'm not keeping the books.

But how many books did you buy a year? These people are probably buying like 100-200 books a year.

:o Really??  Are they actually reading 100-200 books a year??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »

Well, if I read at least a book a week, and always had a stack of books to read.....  I also purchased new & used hardcover & paperbacks.  Using the library depended on the library where I lived.  In Massachusetts & Michigan I used the library on a regular basis.  In New Jersey Keith worked for a publishing company that published tons of fiction, popular non-fiction & children's books.  I basically read what he gave me to read.    In Pennsylvania, California & Connecticut I only read what I purchased or borrowed.

It was living here that I realized I'm mostly purchasing paperbacks these days & began using the library to reduce the expense & collection.  I've gotten rid of loads of paperbacks I don't want.  I've kept most of the hard cover books even if I'm not a fan of it.  At some point we will move & I will have to reduce the books by at least half.

It is funny that the stack of to be read books is mostly on my Nook now.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »

We used to spend hours and hours in book stores, rarely passing one without going in.  While I don't spend the same amount of time in them anymore I do experience the same emotions when I pick up a beautiful book.  I often walk around the house browsing my books.

George

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

Well, since we're so close...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up