Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF REST WITH NO REST  (Read 59501 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DAY OF REST WITH NO REST
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had no rest, and now it is time for you to post until the non-rested cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAY OF REST WITH NO REST
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHARISAIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »

And the new Kritzerland limited edition release is a great one.  It will be live at Kritzerland at six in the morning, but you know what to do if you want it before then.

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

THE RAT RACE

Music Composed and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

The Rat Race began life in 1949 as a Broadway play by Garson Kanin.  Eleven years later, Paramount Pictures brought The Rat Race to the screen, starring Debbie Reynolds as a down-on-her-luck model and dancer, and Tony Curtis as a new to New York aspiring musician.  The great supporting cast included Jack Oakie, Kay Medford, Norman Fell, and a very young Don Rickles.  As with the Broadway play, several notable musicians were also in the cast – reprising his Broadway role was Joe Bushkin, and Gerry Mulligan and Sam Butera also appeared.  The film was directed by Robert Mulligan (it was his second film, after Fear Strikes Out – also for Paramount), and the screenplay was by Kanin.   Curtis and Reynolds deliver star performances – it’s one of Reynolds’ best performances, and the large supporting cast is wonderful (especially Rickles, who is really effective as a sleazeball).  The photography of Robert Burks (at that time, Alfred Hitchcock’s regular cameraman) is stunning and Mulligan’s direction is terrific – he would, of course, go on to direct To Kill a Mockingbird just three years later.

As much of a leading character as those played by Curtis and Reynolds is the incredibly dynamic score by Elmer Bernstein.   Right from the get-go, his electric, jazzy, and spectacular theme grabs you and never lets go.  That theme recurs throughout the score – pulsing with the teeming life of the city, with wailing brass and insistent rhythms.  Some cues keep the big-band jazzy feeling, while others are mournful and tender, as the story requires.  It is, simply put, one of Bernstein’s best.  Nobody did this kind of score better than Elmer Bernstein – it’s just filled with memorable melodies and stunningly gorgeous music.  1960 was a great year for Bernstein, what with The Rat Race and then one of his all-time masterpieces, The Magnificent Seven.  The theme from The Rat Race enjoyed some popularity and radio play when it was recorded by cast member Sam Butera and the Witnesses. 

This is the world premiere release of The Rat Race original soundtrack recording.  There was an LP release of the Sam Butera version of the theme – an album called “Sam Butera and the Witnesses play the Music from The Rat Race,” but it was just the theme; the rest of the album was filled with standards.  The original tapes, housed in Paramount’s vaults, were in excellent condition and we present Bernstein’s score in its entirety in stereo.  In the bonus section we’ve included some mono source cues (all by Bernstein) and a couple of demos.

The Rat Race is limited to 1200 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the first week of November  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

MBarnum

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »

Dr JoseSPiano, glad you got to get together with JMK and had an opportunity to taste her cooking! It is yummy!

MBarnum

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:18 AM »

I am up way too late. Watched a 1972 Kannada language film that I thought was going to be a snake horror film (or Naag film)...since there was a snake on the front cover and part of the title had the word "naag"....well....alas, it was not a horror film, but a drama.

Still, it was quite good, but no happy ending in this film, that is for sure.

MBarnum

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:30 AM »

Then I watched a 1990 Hindi fantasy film titled HAATIMTAI, which is based on the Haatim Tai story.

Great fun with lots of fairies, demons, mad magicians, half man/half beasties, etc.

Danise

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:44:06 AM »

Morning all!  Happy Fall!   

I worked my butt off (not that you can tell) this weekend with fall chores.  The only thing I didn't get done was going the roof to sweep it off.  I'll do that this coming weekend.

I don't have much news.  Nothing on the house.  We are going to have another meeting at work today.  Not looking forward to it.

Sending vibes to all if you need them or not. 

Have a wonder filled day!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:03:26 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very well and I feel much better than I did yesterday.

The frst thng this morning I shall run to the post office and send out two packages by priority mail. After that, I will return here, shower and dress for today's readthru of the Appalachian piece, "Christmas Up the Holler." The cast is made up from those who did the reading in May 2011 and the Hilton Head performances; I'm really looking forward to seeng everyone ad catching up. Our juvenile lead, Ben, is standing by for Steve Kazee in ONCE, Julie Foldesi is in NEWSIES, and Leenya was in WAR HORSE. David Lutken is doing his Woody Guthrie show out of town, so his role is being played by an actor I don't know.

I really like the new duet fot Julie and Scott Moss, and I think the reading, which could be sloppy since they're getting several rounds of new material in the script and the score thrown at them, but I think our small audience, not expecting a finished performance, will enjoy it and we'll know where we stand on the content.  I'm sorry that you can't make it, DR ChasSmith, but this means you'll see a more polished version down the pike.

Tonight, I plan to chill out and do very little. Tomorrow it's back to the ROBERTA grind. I've got a score to finish for the copyists and I have to begin laying out a graph of who's in what numbers for a meeting with the producer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for DRs TCB & Danise and All! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:13:21 AM »

Larry -

My brother's family saw your co-worker Ben in ONCE and were raving about him.  Of course, they had initially felt that slight twinge of disappointment at not seeing Steve Kazee, but I will say they were VERY impressed with Ben.   

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »

Good morning, all.

Continued water vibes for TCB and house vibes for Danise.

Monday vibes for the rest of us.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:54 AM »

Vibes to TCB, and to Danise!

I saw the Paul Jabara show at the York.  Finding it a little easier to get around, o thanks for the good wishes the other day.

John G.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:36 AM »

TOD: This could probably change three or four times today, but the first who comes to mind would be Mahler.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:55 AM »

I like the new avatar, FJL.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »

This is pretty much what I put on castrecl, this is really not a jukebox, thouhg it looks like one when one looks at the song list - it's really a dramatic work that has to be told through this one man's songs.

Strange about "Last dance."  I was very very impressed with the book, which i thought was a quirky, five-actor off-Broadway take on a quirky life, celebtating - but not telling and hitting head-in - the life of the man who created the "red ribbon" for AIDS awareness and "It's Raining Men" and "Last dance" and so much else.

I suspect so as not to potentially violate people's privacy they have not done a GYPSY or FUNNY GIRL - so they have told a story built on Jabara's work's spirit, rather than a fiction based on his life - him being affectionately at times called the "court jester" of the Stigwood empire.  but because Jabara is not Fanny or Gypsy, they have gone "off-Bway" and quirky in manner of storyteling, and as such it works wonderfully in my opinion, but the intermission confuses, and I think it's there for temporary needs [npot meant to be there in the real show anyway] since the show picks up so clearly and I think taht will amke all the structural difference.  The tone shift between acts will feel like a gorgeous development. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:31:49 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »

Larry -

My brother's family saw your co-worker Ben in ONCE and were raving about him.  Of course, they had initially felt that slight twinge of disappointment at not seeing Steve Kazee, but I will say they were VERY impressed with Ben.   

Thanks, Fred! I hope to see Ben in the show one of these days. He's a really good guy!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:17:43 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:39:38 AM »

TOD:

Hmmm...I'm sorry to admit that I lack much curiosity about any of the "classic" classical composers beyond their work so I don't really have a desire to dine with any that come to mind.  But I wouldn't mind a meet and eat with Leonard Bernstein or Aaron Copland.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:41 AM »

Judi Densch has been burned and packaged and is ready to drop into a mailbox as soon as I can figure out postage.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »

Good morning, all.

This is a Monday -- right?  Oh yeah.

I am so sorry to miss DR ELMORE's reading today, and I do look forward to next opportunity!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »

CD ordered!

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »

I love guacamole. How could anyone not love it??

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »

Packages are posted, and I need to find some breakfast bfore I head out.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHARISAIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:   MY PRAYER

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:27 AM »

One more cup o' the joe, then I'm outta here for a while.

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:11 AM »

Oh, it's  Monday again already.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »

I'm up, everything is announced, and I'm going back to bed for a bit.

John G.

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »

I love guacamole. How could anyone not love it??
I'm with you. Anyone who doesn't  like it is fine with me, though, because it just means more for me.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

CD ordered....the cover photo is fantastic!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »

Nice pictures from DR MBARNUM of he and DR JOSE.....  Looks like a good time was had by all.

Laura

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 07:29:52 AM »

Good morning. I have no plans for today, so hopefully I can get some chores done around here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »

I started the day trying to find a LOST check.  It was not where I put it....or thought I put it.  After 90 minutes of frustration, and going through trash, and files, and every thing else....I looked in my bag.....and there it was, still in the envelope it came in....

I was sure I had taken it out of my bag and put it with another check I was planning to cash.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up