Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IT IS DECREED AND WRITTEN IN STONE  (Read 46485 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: IT IS DECREED AND WRITTEN IN STONE
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

Page Three
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »

Another vote here against TITANIC.  After the initial tease of the opening number (which led me to believe that it was going to be a great show), I sat bored to tears throughout.  Each number seemed endless and went no where (though I did like the one song sung by the Astors.)  I know the show and score has its fans but I'm definately not one of them. 

The Astors or Mr. and Mrs Straus?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »

Had a surprise visit from David Wechter and we went and had lunch at the Kansas City Barbecue - great, as always.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

Still talking about Titanic - I guess I should give it a listen today.

Doug R

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »

Back home after a meal of lasagne, with salad and garlic bread and a few drinks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »

Great quote from J.K. Rawling on her new book, "The Casual Vacancy." Glad I have my request in already at the library:

I was conscious when I started writing The Casual Vacancy of what I wanted it to be. I did want it to be like a Trollope or a Dickens or Mrs. Gaskell in the sense that I'm taking a small community, literally a parochial community, and trying to analyze it and anatomize it in the way that they did. I really like those 19th-century novels. That's the kind of thing I love reading.

I'm trying to decide if i want to read this or not.

I will wait for the reviews, beginning with DR John G.  The quote made me more interested than I had been.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »

I see the dvd of the HUNGER GAMES. And actually liked it a lot more than I did in the theatre.

Sometimes the second time around you can relax and enjoy it more.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »

Glad you're feeling better, DR Jane.

Thanks.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »

Great quote from J.K. Rawling on her new book, "The Casual Vacancy." Glad I have my request in already at the library:

I was conscious when I started writing The Casual Vacancy of what I wanted it to be. I did want it to be like a Trollope or a Dickens or Mrs. Gaskell in the sense that I'm taking a small community, literally a parochial community, and trying to analyze it and anatomize it in the way that they did. I really like those 19th-century novels. That's the kind of thing I love reading.

I'm trying to decide if i want to read this or not.

I will wait for the reviews, beginning with DR John G.  The quote made me more interested than I had been.
I'm down for the audio and I'm 48th on the list. It may be a while.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 02:29:28 PM »

Back home after a meal of lasagne, with salad and garlic bread and a few drinks.
Did you bring any to share with us?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

Tuesday evening greetings!  My sister and I had another genealogy day today and then we went shopping.  We brought sandwiches back to the hotel for our supper and we're in for the evening to watch the season openers for the NCIS franchise.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

I need to have a genealogy day or three.  I got into it several years back and have amassed quite a bit on the branches of the family I'm most interested in, but I've let it slide this past year. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »

I could use some food, too.  I like what everybody else is having.  Barbecue, lasagna, drinks...

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »

My sister is the genealogist in the family.  I just tag along and admire her work.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »

ChasSmith,

I am playing catchup on some genealogy things also... My lines are primarily German, Irish and NOrwegian
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

Good day one and all!

Vibes to one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:27 PM »

Genealogy is a journey that can be challenging and rewarding

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

And, according to my sister, never-ending...

Jane

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

My sister is the genealogist in the family.  I just tag along and admire her work.

That is also my role next to Keith.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

Tell her it is a piece of cake compared to Jewish genealogy. 

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »

TOD:
61*...  It is an excellent movie. I really enjoyed it. Roger Maris has  connections to Fargo, ND. There is a small museum at West Acres that has his uniforms, etc. The local cancer hospital was named in honor of Roger Maris who died of Cancer. They have a huge fundraiser each year called 61 for 61

Erin Brockovich
King and I
Miracle Worker
Gandhi
NIcholas and Alexandra
Young Victoria
Victoria and Alberta (TV)
Son of the Morningstar (TV) a curious story about Custer
Playing for Time (TV)
Inherit the Wind
King's Speech
The Queen
September Dawn... it is about the Mountains Meadow massacre near Cedar City, UTah in the 1850s of a wagon train bound for southern California. They were massacred by Mormons and Paiute indian allies. EVery one over 5 years old were killed and the children were taken and farmed out.

The next movie is heartbreaking to watch yet, the story needs to be told
Centennial.... THe episode detailing a massacre of an Indian village is based on the Sand Creek Massacre in Colorado of Arapaho and Cheyenne women and children, in addition to old men. The Cheyenne-Arapaho village was unarmed. In the book and the episode details were drawn from army accounts and trial transcripts of the trial against Chivington, who was the commander of the Colorado militia.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:54:11 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

That is true... Wonder if she has any tips for breaking through the brick wall i have on my mother's side...

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

That is true... Wonder if she has any tips for breaking through the brick wall i have on my mother's side...

She says she'd have to know the nature of the brick wall...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »

The interesting thing about September Dawn, it is a visually stunning movie. However there is almost no mention of it American history books. I have a Mormon friend who was shocked i knew about it.

Child Bride of Short Creek was about the raid in the 1950s of a polygamist community in northern Arizona. Short Creek was renamed Colorado City... Diane Lane and Helen Hunt were in this movie. Conrad Bain played one of the polygamist males who took Helen Hunt as a wife. Her character was 15. This was a tv movie...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

Apparently my 3xggrandfather was sent west on an orphan train... I have a letter I have been trying the crack the clues and see if I can get a lead on the names but I always end up with a goose egg

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »

Tell her it is a piece of cake compared to Jewish genealogy. 

Not sure about one of my lines but I suspect there may be some Jewish connections back in the 1600s

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »

That is true...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

Here is a website talking about Mountain Meadows

http://mountainmeadowsmassacre.com/ 

Here is a wikipedia article on the flim.. It wasnt a financial success but it did draw interesting parallels to 9-11 and revisionist history. This movie did not play well and it was highly criticized despite the fact it got information out that this massacre did happen based on religious ideas and perceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Dawn
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:09:46 PM by DakotaCelt »

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »

Apparently my 3xggrandfather was sent west on an orphan train... I have a letter I have been trying the crack the clues and see if I can get a lead on the names but I always end up with a goose egg

Nancy says she remembers an article in Family Tree magazine about orphan trains.  Maybe you could find it on their website?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »

Per the Sand Creek Massacre...

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/resources/archives/four/sandcrk.htm

Interestingly, Michener drew from these documents to create the massacre at Rattlesnake Cliffs

and a couple of more sites on the massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up