Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLLYWOOD  (Read 33659 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: HOLLYWOOD
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

Just got some sad news...

Friends of mine, Dave and Christine, found out that their beloved Adela has Hemangiosarcoma. It is cancer of the spleen in dogs.  It is a fatal diagnosis. I have been honored to meet the beautiful Adela  on several occasions. She is a 12-year old German Shepherd.

Here is an article about the type of cancer she has. Adela did have a tumor removed last week because she was unusually lethargic and did not want to play with her favorite ball.  With Adela, if you have her ball in hand, she is ready to play even if it is just rolling it on the floor. Sweet dog....

They could use  a few thoughts and prayers to get through this trying time.

VIBES OF COMFORT FOR YOUR ADELA, CHRISTINE, AND DAVE!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

Last night I wrote:
DR Jane (or any other DRs), I know you use your nook mostly now, but what did you used to do if your book's print was too small to comfortably read?

It's book 2 and i really want to read it. This is the only series i've ever had a problem with. Sometimes they fonts are a bit smaller but i've never seen anything like this. And it's making me crazy.

I ended up getting the first 3 chapters as a sample at amazon.com so i could read that part comfortably.

I really don't understand why anyone printing a book would do this.

I think I was unclear since DR George misunderstood.  This is an ACTUAL BOOK not an ebook.  I just got the sample 3 chapters on my kindle so i can read the first part easier.

And they didn't change the print from the first book. It was small there too.

If I read on my bed with my reading lamp right on the book it is bearable. But the print is still too small for it to be comfortable. I may end up using a magnifying glass for part of it. Just putting the magnifying glass right on the book makes the print big enough. I wish i had a ruler shaped magnifying glass because it's not practical to hold a mg while trying to read the whole book.

It is just so frustrating. Why did they make the print so small? I have never heard had a problem with any book before this series. I never find anything too small to read. But this is ridiculous!

Perhaps a pair of Cheater Glasses would help you with the book.

I tried it with a pair and it was completely blurry.

I read a lot and this book is significantly smaller than what i am used to.

I found a very large magnifying glass (circle). If i place it directly on the page it increases the font by 1 size, which makes it perfect for me read. It's just a pain to have to move it.

There are a number of different strengths of cheaters.  If you tried a pair that was too strong for you, it would certainly make everything blurry.  But if you found the correct strength, it would be the same as using the magnifying glass without having to move it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

Last night I wrote:
DR Jane (or any other DRs), I know you use your nook mostly now, but what did you used to do if your book's print was too small to comfortably read?

It's book 2 and i really want to read it. This is the only series i've ever had a problem with. Sometimes they fonts are a bit smaller but i've never seen anything like this. And it's making me crazy.

I ended up getting the first 3 chapters as a sample at amazon.com so i could read that part comfortably.

If I read on my bed with my reading lamp right on the book it is bearable. But the print is still too small for it to be comfortable. I may end up using a magnifying glass for part of it. Just putting the magnifying glass right on the book makes the print big enough. I wish i had a ruler shaped magnifying glass because it's not practical to hold a mg while trying to read the whole book.

I used to complain about books that had small print until it occurred to me that not all of the publishers had suddenly started reducing the size of the print, so there might be another reason.

;D

I was going to suggest DR Jennifer get her eyes checked ;)

Jane

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

Last night I wrote:

I think I was unclear since DR George misunderstood.  This is an ACTUAL BOOK not an ebook.  I just got the sample 3 chapters on my kindle so i can read the first part easier.

And they didn't change the print from the first book. It was small there too.

It is just so frustrating. Why did they make the print so small? I have never heard had a problem with any book before this series. I never find anything too small to read. But this is ridiculous!

Perhaps a pair of Cheater Glasses would help you with the book.

I tried it with a pair and it was completely blurry.

Reading glasses come in many different strengths and you have to find the correct one for your vision.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »

From DR George:
I take it that the font size isn't adjustable in the book...or do you not know if it's adjustable?  The font size for almost all the books for my Kindle can be adjusted.  You just have to find the settings.

Unfortunately I have had books on my Nook where the extremely small print could not be adjusted.  I'm pleased to say that hasn't happened in a good while.  I researched it and the problem wasn't my Nook.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »

DR Jennifer I have encountered books with ridiculously small print, more often in a large book where I can only guess that the publisher's want to reduce the total number of pages.  On the other hand I have seen this kind of small print in books with only two-three hundred pages.

I have one advantage over you.  I have always been so near sighted that where other's began needing reading glasses I began taking my glasses off to read.  Still that small print gives me eye strain.  Now with my shoulder holding a book up that close to my face for any length of time simply hurts.

Most of my life I have been reading that Baby Boomer's "rule" the world and as we age the world will accommodate to our needs, more so than any previous generation.  If that is so why has the print on books become smaller‽‽

Jane

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »

These panda's are the cutest ones I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »

Back from about 3 hours at Middfest, where I turned in money and some unsold admission buttons and bought 5 tickets for the drawing for 2 roundtrip airfares and 4 nights in a Paris hotel.  Then I helped set up the Language and Literature Center, where I will spend the better part of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  I've been working closely on this with the young woman who now holds the public services librarian position at our local Miami University campus that brought me to Middletown 39 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »

Thank you to DRs George and Jane for the travel vibes for Richard.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »

The temperature dropped about 20 degrees while I was in the L&L center.  I had "French" food for dinner, but got cold sitting at the picnic table.  Came home to get warm.  I'm in for the night.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

Hello, all.

Last night I saw a production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  Yes, I've never seen it until last night.  It's a lovely little show.  Very funny, and the songs make more sense now that I've seen it, so the cast recording is fun to listen to!  I'll probably see it in November at another theatre company, so I'm excited to see it again.  Tonight, I'm seeing a production of Anything Goes which I'm also looking forward to. I love the show and a good friend of mine is playing Reno.

I'm trying to see as much theatre as possible.  However, I'm finding when I'm not working on a show, it's more fun to be at home and not have to be somewhere.

In the oven, there are turkey cutlets, which I floured, dipped in egg and coated with crushed corn flakes.  Hopefully, it will turn out well.

That's all I have.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »

DR Ginny I hope you win the trip to Paris!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

LOL!  They are indeed laugh out loud!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »

Back from about 3 hours at Middfest, where I turned in money and some unsold admission buttons and bought 5 tickets for the drawing for 2 roundtrip airfares and 4 nights in a Paris hotel.  Then I helped set up the Language and Literature Center, where I will spend the better part of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  I've been working closely on this with the young woman who now holds the public services librarian position at our local Miami University campus that brought me to Middletown 39 years ago.

So, Ginny, have given any thought on who you might want to take to Paris?
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

I know :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

I know :D

Pandas aren't meat-eaters, are they?
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »

DR Jennifer I have encountered books with ridiculously small print, more often in a large book where I can only guess that the publisher's want to reduce the total number of pages.  On the other hand I have seen this kind of small print in books with only two-three hundred pages.

I have one advantage over you.  I have always been so near sighted that where other's began needing reading glasses I began taking my glasses off to read.  Still that small print gives me eye strain.  Now with my shoulder holding a book up that close to my face for any length of time simply hurts.

Most of my life I have been reading that Baby Boomer's "rule" the world and as we age the world will accommodate to our needs, more so than any previous generation.  If that is so why has the print on books become smaller‽‽

I do wear glasses but only for driving/distances. I don't use glasses to read.

I actually have been reading the book with the small print without any help. I guess my eyes just got used to it. It was never that i couldn't see the print. It was just so small it felt very uncomfortable to read.

I counted the number of lines per pages and there are 35. And it is not a big book. Also it's only 300 pages. I checked with other books and i see some of 30 lines per page. I am guessing they wanted to try to have to print less pages. But to me it's ridiculous.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »

KevinH

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »

Just great!

George

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

From DR George:
I take it that the font size isn't adjustable in the book...or do you not know if it's adjustable?  The font size for almost all the books for my Kindle can be adjusted.  You just have to find the settings.

Unfortunately I have had books on my Nook where the extremely small print could not be adjusted.  I'm pleased to say that hasn't happened in a good while.  I researched it and the problem wasn't my Nook.

Yup...it's the way the document was created that determines if it's an available option.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

I do wear glasses but only for driving/distances. I don't use glasses to read.

I actually have been reading the book with the small print without any help. I guess my eyes just got used to it. It was never that i couldn't see the print. It was just so small it felt very uncomfortable to read.

I counted the number of lines per pages and there are 35. And it is not a big book. Also it's only 300 pages. I checked with other books and i see some of 30 lines per page. I am guessing they wanted to try to have to print less pages. But to me it's ridiculous.

It is ridiculous!

I find my eyes slowly adjust to the smaller print, still it is uncomfortable and annoying.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »

Jane

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »

Speaking of annoying.... I'm not happy how much work Keith has had to do during this landscaping job.  This is why we paid the landscaper.  Of course Keith is twice as unhappy as he is the one doing the work.

The guy should be here working with his crews.  Thank goodness they are good but Keith isn't the one who should be catching the mistakes.  The plant lady is also terrific and doing some of the landscaper's job.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »

;D

George

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »

And now for something completely different...Sam Champion Engaged, He and Longtime Partner Plan New Year's Wedding!

Congrats to Sam and Rubem! ;D

Jane

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

'night

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »

Hey, I was going to ask that!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

Long night. But I'm starting "Coriolanus." Loving Vanessa Redgrave, but what else is new?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Still, let's get off this page.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up