Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DOIN' THE TURKEY LURKEY  (Read 27583 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: DOIN' THE TURKEY LURKEY
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »

I have Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackery as an e-book on my Sony E-Reader

I have debated reading that for sometime, but I'm afraid that VANITY FAIR was enough Thackeray for me. I'm waiting for Amazon to send me ANNA KARENINA; I have misplaced my copy and I am determined to get through it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:41:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »

Morning.

Wow, finally it is butt cold.   Had to turn on the heat and have a glass of warm water.

It feels like December already, with Thanksgiving so early.

The neighbors have their lights up, I need to think of something simple to do outside this year.
Last year was green garlands and pincones.  This year I'm thinking gold and red.

:)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:19 AM »

!! 2 !!  !! 2 !!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:44 AM »

I read the comments yesterday about TAXI DRIVER. I saw it when it was first released in 1976 and thought it a tremendous, powerful film – one of the best ever portrayals of urban alienation. Before the film started, the Main Title music was played, in the manner of an Overture. At that time I wasn’t into film music - didn’t know who scored the film and knew nothing about Bernard Herrmann. On hearing the music in the auditorium as a prelude to the film I though it sounded awful! Fortunately my film music horizons expanded and I now love Herrmann’s music, including that score – which became one of the first soundtracks LPs I bought. 

Freidkin's remake of Wages of Fear called Sorcerror had an overture or as he put it mood setting music. It went on and on and people started to complain so it was cut short and they put the movie on. I think I saw one of the first showings that day. by the end of the first week it had been dropped.

Oh -- That's really interesting, too!  I went to SORCERER as soon as it opened, and this makes me want to think I heard that played in the theater, too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 05:36:25 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday, (Occasional)DR Robbie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 05:36:34 AM »

Off to work.

Mega vibes everyone.

Loved the conversation yesterday.

8)

And this place always goes back to being happy.

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »

Morning.

Had to turn on the heat and have a glass of warm water.

??

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »

Sorry, DR Sam, but that sounds icky-poo.    :)

Doug R

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »

DR Doug R, that's interesting about the title music being played as an overture.  And for this film, of all things.  Do you recall the theater doing that with other films then?

I also wonder how they did it -- play the LP?  Even that sounds odd now, but if I remember correctly, Stanley Kubrick sent out an LP to play from for BARRY LYNDON so I guess it wasn't unusual for the projection booth to include a turntable.

I don't recall any other examples. I assume they used the LP. This incidentally, was the London premiere at the Odeon, Haymarket. In fact, I went there again, a few weeks later, to see it again.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:19:40 AM »

Last night BK wrote (re: whether he might do some modern parodies):
I'd like to but the fact is there aren't many modern things that appeal to me, but the real problem is they're actually turning these dreadful movies into musicals - things that are just totally wrong as musicals.  At one point in season two we were thinking about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I even wrote a really fun opening number for it - we'll see if that one makes season three.

What about something like The Hunger Games. Even though it wasn't your cup of tea at least you did see the movie so you know the plotline.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »

Happy Tuesday, all.

Gosh, but time is flying!  I have this week and next and my work for 2012 is done.  Off for four weeks, another trip to South Carolina and back again to start a new year.

Yoiks!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »

DR Cillaliz, what did you think of last night's DWTS?

There were a few things about it that I did not care for.

I loved that first number that Shawn and Derek did. But I did not feel that it was right for them to do it as their encore knowing that the judges felt it broke the rules. That bugged me.

I loved their finale. But wonder if it was slightly unfair that they brought in the Women's Olympic gymnastics team to dance with them.

I didn't think that Val and Kelly's freestyle was good enough to win. And I am tore about Melissa and Tony's freestyle. I thought their encore was the best. But while the freestyle was good. IT just wasn't flashy enough for me. I liked the lifts. But I feel like certain things are expected of a winning freestyle. And Derek really knows how to choreograph winning routines.

I am curious who will win. I think Kelly is out of contention. I don't know if people will be angry with Shawn and Derek's first routine. And I don't know if people will think Melissa's freestyle was enough. I think it will be a close call.

Doug R

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »

I have Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackery as an e-book on my Sony E-Reader

I have debated reading that for sometime, but I'm afraid that VANITY FAIR was enough Thackeray for me. I'm waiting for Amazon to send me ANNA KARENINA; I have misplaced my copy and I am determined to get through it.

I've got Barry Lyndon on my Kindle as well but haven't read it yet. Having glanced through it, it seems as though a lot of the dialogue in the film is almost word for word as in the novel.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: FAINAIGUE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  LAZYBONES

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 06:43:01 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday, (Occasional)DR Robbie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy birthday, in immovable type, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

Good morning. It is a beautiful day in Arizona. Joshie is chasing the ball in the round track, and Rex is looking out the window. Sasha is looking at the wall. I intend to ketchup around here today.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »

Love Anna Karenina. Perhaps one of my top 10 novels of all time.

I want to like Thackeray, but, well, he seems to keep getting in the way of enjoying his work.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »

I started work on the minutes for the conference earlier this month. Unusually early for me. But when they are done, I have no more responsibilities there, as I have served the maximum amount of time on the board.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard has his second post-op appointment today to have his stitches removed.  We'll probably go to First Watch for lunch and then visit my mother to wish her a happy 94th birthday.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:03:19 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 07:04:41 AM »

DR Elmore, I've tried AK twice - once in college and again with Oprah.  I got further the second time, but have never finished it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 07:18:10 AM »

I have all these "classics" on my e-reader (including Anna and Vanity Fair and Barry Lyndon) waiting to be read and as I start some of them I realize why I never read or finished them in the first place. But at least the 660 books are not in the apartment so if I don't want them I can easily get rid of them.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 07:20:06 AM »

TOD:

That's a tough call, primarily because most of the people worth writing about have already been written about.

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

The fridge is stocked with water and I am having some breakfast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »

Tuesday.....

Well I would like to write a REAL biography of Frances Farmer.  I wrote an internet biography of Allison Hayes that still gets lots of views....it is linked on her IMDB page - and every article about her on the net since then has included information from my bio....sometimes word for word....so that's probably all the farther I will get on that.  She started a book shortly before her demise, but the manuscript was not among her mother's effects when she passed nine months later....so it's probably lost.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »

I am working on a play about Frances....so that's a start.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:29 AM »

Interesting discussion yesterday.

AND the Christmas Kritzerland show sounds marvy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »

DR TCB - I have never been in a production of SHE LOVES ME....I keep suggesting the show, but nobody seems to care.  At my age, Maracek is probably the only role there for me.  I always wanted to do it and have my friend Ernie play the role.....but since his passing, my enthusiasm has waned somewhat.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »

MR BK I think you should definitely go see LES MIZ on your birthday so that you can give us the naked unvarnished truth about the project.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »

MR BK I think you should definitely go see LES MIZ on your birthday so that you can give us the naked unvarnished truth about the project.

I'll drink to that! While I doubt it will be the world's greatest movie musical, I like the preview and I'm curious to see it. I may do that on Christmas Day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »

DR TCB - I have never been in a production of SHE LOVES ME....I keep suggesting the show, but nobody seems to care.  At my age, Maracek is probably the only role there for me.  I always wanted to do it and have my friend Ernie play the role.....but since his passing, my enthusiasm has waned somewhat.

You should do it, Jack! You'd be funny and charming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up