Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE!  (Read 20152 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: SURPRISE!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »

Bruce, nice surprise party and cake! :)

Jane

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

Why did I think your birthday was December 8th?

Because it is.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

I always wanted a surprise birthday party, it never happened and now I don't really care.  My sweet 16th party, which almost didn't happen, was special.  The year Keith surprised me with a trip to Williamsburg, just the two of us, was extra nice.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »

I don't know if there are any Ethel Merman fans or Annie Get Your Guns fans, but here is a scene from the 1966 TV version of the show. I had read that this show was considered "lost". So I found it a real treat to see it.

http://youtu.be/rhOTMf84gFo

Pretty cool, Mike!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

BK, there was an article on PSYCHO in the ArtsBeat blog in the Times.  I hope it's Ok that I put a link to your Outside the Box episode on PSYCHO there in the Comments Box.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/maybe-a-bathroom-with-a-nice-shower/
You have to scroll down to under the article for the Comments.

Very funny, Fred!

George

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »

;)

Jane

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »

I'm off to Medford to do a medical test I don't want to do.  Better safe than sorry.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

TOD - when I was in college my birthday was always during the study days preceding fall semester final exams.  My sophomore year (1969, 19th birthday), I was studying away in my dorm room and one of my friends who lived down the hall knocked on my door and invited me to her room "to see a knitting project she'd been working on."  The room was packed with friends who yelled SURPRISE! and it was a great study break.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

More TOD - DR Elmore was the next one to surprise me in 1975 at the first company meeting for our upcoming YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN, which he was directing and in which I'd been cast as Lucy.  At the end of his remarks he invited me up front with him and I thought I was in trouble or something.  Here came the other Lucy with a blazing cake and they presented me with Snoopy autograph hound signed by the cast & crew.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »

I'm up - and have been for quite a while.  Been shooting off emails, dealing with stage managers, planning Liturgy, etc.  Funny how time flies by when you're sitting at your computer.

On that note, (a ALW D-flat) has anyone here made an mp3 of the movie version of "Scrooge" with Alfred Finney that they might want to share?  If not, well,then that's ok.  One of these days, I'll sit down with the DVD and rip a soundtrack recording, but for now, I'm being lazy and just really want to hear it. 

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

Even more TOD - last birthday surprise I had was 12 years ago.  We were having a family gathering here for what I thought was an early Christmas celebration with my sister's family.  Turned out to be a 50th birthday party for me, complete with a cake with one of my toddler photos on it (ala BK's book cover).  I saved that part and took it to work and my friends said it was kind of creepy to be eating my face.

George

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

I'm off to Medford to do a medical test I don't want to do.  Better safe than sorry.

~~~Medical Test Vibes for Jane!!~~~

George

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

I'm up - and have been for quite a while.  Been shooting off emails, dealing with stage managers, planning Liturgy, etc.  Funny how time flies by when you're sitting at your computer.

On that note, (a ALW D-flat) has anyone here made an mp3 of the movie version of "Scrooge" with Alfred Finney that they might want to share?  If not, well,then that's ok.  One of these days, I'll sit down with the DVD and rip a soundtrack recording, but for now, I'm being lazy and just really want to hear it. 

Matthew, I'm pretty sure that I did this.  I can check when I get home tonight...hopefully, I'll remember.

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »

TOD:

While I love other people's surprise birthdays, I'm NOT a birthday party type at all when it comes to my own, far preferring a (planned) quiet dinner at home or someplace nice with just a small group of close friends.  That having been said, there were a few times when some group or other surprised me with something and it was of course perfectly enjoyable.

I might be forgetting something over the years, but one of the most memorable times was when I piano-conducted a small local production of RUNAWAYS.  It just happened that my birthday coincided with our closing night, and the kids wanted to use the cast party to have a surprise birthday thing for me.  They were such a great bunch, and that night was really sweet, enjoyable, and more memorable than many an event.

George

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Topic of the Day:

My most memorable birthday was my 21st birthday.  I was going to Western Washington University and my suite-mates wanted to throw me a disco/kegger birthday.  I had several Donna Summer albums and we decided that that would be the music that would be playing.  They supplied the money and I actually bought the keg ON my 21st birthday.  We made invitations and photocopied them and gave them to a lot of people that I didn't even know.  I put that gifts weren't required, but keychains were preferred.  I got quite a few and only one was a duplicate.  I don't drink but I choked down the one beer that they made me drink.  I didn't even get a buzz, but it was a fun night! ;D

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »

Off to the University of Dayton to help evaluate student presentations in my friend's grantwriting class - bye for now!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »

Oh, before I leave - DR TCB, I laughed out loud when you suggested we buy Lauren a sports team!  Now, why didn't I think of that?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

I am home from City Center, and I have no plans at all for the evening. I like it that way.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

I haven't seen a James Bond film in a theater for years, so I'm going out to catch SKYFALL before it leaves the local faux-IMAX screen.

By the way, has anyone noticed it's winter out there?  In temperature, I mean.  (And I don't want it to be winter in any other way.  Not now, please.)

Jane

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »

~~~Medical Test Vibes for Jane!!~~~

Thanks.  I survived as I knew I would.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

I haven't seen a James Bond film in a theater for years, so I'm going out to catch SKYFALL before it leaves the local faux-IMAX screen.

It should be a good movie to see there.

George

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »

Here's a topic of discussion...the 2013 Grammy nominations have been announced and the best Best Musical Theater Album nominations are:

Follies [PS Classics]

The Gershwins' Porgy And Bess [PS Classics]

Newsies [Ghostlight Records/Razor & Tie]

Nice Work If You Can Get It [Shout! Factory]

Once: A New Musical [Masterworks]

Any surprises?  Any snubs??  Discuss.

George

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

HERE is an article on Playbill.com.

George

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »

Well, it's a little early, but I'm off to the theater.  It's the beginning of our second weekend.

Have a good rest of the evening, all!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

what a wonderful surprise Bruce
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

Great surprise and great cake, BK. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »

I think it's a neat watch Vixmom....heck, your clients give you expensive watches and wallets, mine give me tamales and walleyes

Michael

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

Here's a topic of discussion...the 2013 Grammy nominations have been announced and the best Best Musical Theater Album nominations are:

Follies [PS Classics]

The Gershwins' Porgy And Bess [PS Classics]

Newsies [Ghostlight Records/Razor & Tie]

Nice Work If You Can Get It [Shout! Factory]

Once: A New Musical [Masterworks]

Any surprises?  Any snubs??  Discuss.

how about The People In The Picture.
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

I think I may make some of the walleye this weekend.  My client caught them a couple weeks ago, filleted them, froze them and brought them to me before his sentencing.  Luckily I got him probation!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up