Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ENERGIZED ME  (Read 16480 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE ENERGIZED ME
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2004, 08:51:33 AM »

Good morning. I'm sitting here in my walking clothes having just finishes writing the scenes that came to me while on my walk. Figured I'd better grab them while they were fresh in my mind. Sometimes I get these seemingly brilliant ideas which disappear into the ether if not immediately set down.
As for Shakespeare, many monologues that I love have been noted already. I can't really pick a favorite because there are SO many which are favorites. I used to do speeches from KING JOHN and DREAM in auditions. Shakespeare in Hungarian, BTW, is quite quite wonderful. Translated by great poets. Hungarian is a very musical language which lends itself so very well to poetry. A perfect match. I have all of Shakespeare's works in Hungarian (and English, of course.)
A probably apocryphal story: My cousin John Hirsch was a fabulous director of Shakespeare (and everything else). When he was doing his first Shakespearian production at Stratford in Canada he instructed the management to "Get me the best English translation."

Panni

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2004, 08:54:18 AM »

Jane - Did your package arrive?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2004, 08:58:57 AM »

I don't love Shakespeare, but do enjoy The Comedy of Errors, and bits and pieces of others, especially Mr. Olivier's Henry V.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2004, 09:02:23 AM »

Ha ha, how many times can you refresh Page One on message #29.  Oy sometimes I feel dumb. :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2004, 09:02:55 AM »

I concur with MattH that "Much Ado About Nothing" is a fine film, but I think Zeffirelli's "Taming of the Shrew" and "Romeo and Juliet" are better, not only as plays, but as films, too.

But that's what makes things interesting hereabouts.

Our differences.

So....does the "B" in "BK" stand for "bunny"?  (as in the Energizer Bunny?).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2004, 09:08:13 AM »

Let me be the first to congratulate our very own Mr. Grant Geissman on his Emmy nomination for Best TV theme from Two and a Half Men (written with two other folks).  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2004, 09:13:03 AM »

Will finish watching the Benny DVD today, and then I have THE REMAINS OF THE DAY on the docket. That may have to hold over until Friday Media Day, however. Also want to get SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT watched.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 09:15:03 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »

Having performed it in "The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged)," I will never stop loving "What a piece of work is man" from Hamlet. There's also a great mustache-twirling-type monologue in "Titus Andronicus" where Aaron goes on about If only high schools would have the guts to go through those plays (or show good productions of Tempest or Midsummer Night's Dream), dear Will would have a mob of teenage fans to this day.

There's an elementary school teacher in Stratford, Ontario, who not only introduces Shakespeare to students as young as seven years old, but also retells the stories (using many direct quotations). The children provide illustrations along with reactions to the characters.

Kenneth Branagh wrote the foreword to her "Hamlet for Kids":

"Having played the title role many times and directed the play on screen, I approached this volume with some trepidation ... [but] this book is a treat ... Here is a veracious thrill of that first excited, imaginative response to a great yarn ... I have only one complaint. Could they please let me read the next one before I make the film!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2004, 09:30:32 AM »

And we've passed another landmark - 55,000 postings.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2004, 09:36:04 AM »

Mawnin', all.

I have a particular love of the Otello of Verdi - it's so true to the original, and the music under Iago's early monologue about his hatred of the Moor - oh, my! In the (was it Zeffirelli?) film, Justino Diaz walking the streets at night, musing, was the best delivery of that speech I've ever heard or seen...

I do LOVE crazy old Queen Margaret's curse in Richard III. Some day, that's the part I want to play.

Love Cleopatra's Farewell, over the body of Antony. And, of course, the Speak the Speech speech spoken by Hamlet. Wow, so many...

Twelfth Night always makes me laugh; Lear always makes me cry.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2004, 09:39:51 AM »

And it would likely be worth the two-day drive down and another back north to attend a performance of the What If revue. I'm seriously considering it. Oy.
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2004, 09:50:01 AM »

Just read a review of the old Columbia film CASTLE KEEP, and once again, Columbia TriStar has elected to release a widescreen movie (in this case Panavision movie) in pan and scan only. The studio is racking up quite a little collection of full frame transfers of widescreen films.

I just don't understand their thinking. In every sales chart that I read on DVD, when a separate widescreen and full frame transfer is offered for sale, the widescreen version ALWAYS outsells the full frame and usually by a considerable margin. You see a lot more full frame versions of films in used bins, too. Weird AND infuriating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2004, 10:03:42 AM »

Where did you read the review?  Because, from what I now understand, the packaging that was shown on some website may have been in error and all this jumping to conclusions may be incorrect.  Robert Harris states that the Sony website CLEARLY states the DVD will be in widescreen.  Hence my admonition to ALWAYS wait until its released.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »

Okay, I've now seen the review by my pal Glenn Erickson - it would appear that whatever he reviewed is indeed pan and scan, but until the DVD is actually released we won't know for sure, as Mr. Erickson could have been sent an advance copy that was incorrect.  I've just learned to wait, because all too often what has been touted as full-fram or pan and scan has ended up being in its proper ratio.  They're still saying Gidget is going to be pan and scan but no one actually knows and again, the website says scope.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2004, 10:18:19 AM »

Jack Benny on television was funny.  Jack Benny on radio was funnier.  I'm glad I hasve cassettes of many of his classic episodes.  They are among the funniest radio shows ever.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2004, 10:52:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry for being sort of errant and truant... I'm just currently working on this new revue... Maybe you've heard of it... "What If?"  ;)

I've also been dealing with wireless internet connection issues and such... and such...

As for Shakespeare... Twelfth Night, Romeo & Juliet, and actually A Winter's Tale - just such an interesting play.

Well, I have my own work to get done today before tonight's rehearsal...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2004, 10:57:43 AM »

Congratulations to Mr. Geissman on his Emmy nom!

And congrats to Mr. bk and the gang on 55,000 posts!

Panni

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm going to be an Emmy  judge in the dramatic series and movie/mini-series categories. Should make for some interesting viewing.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2004, 11:03:33 AM »

JRand   You also reminded me to pop a CD into my computer while I am working.
Wonderful Jack Benny dinner story.

Bruce, it is watermelon season.  Eat lots of it and you will loose weight, if you don’t eat too much of anything else.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2004, 11:09:55 AM »

Bruce, it is watermelon season.  Eat lots of it and you will lose weight, if you don't eat too much of anything else.  

Just expect to get up several times during the night. They don't call it watermelon for nothing.

Here's a watermelon salad I serve this time of year. It may sound odd, but it gets good reviews:

Layer chunks of watermelon (seedless, or seeds removed), feta cheese, and sliced kalamata olives. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil leaves and drizzle with just a little extra virgin olive oil.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 11:10:28 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2004, 11:15:07 AM »

I just found this photo of Timothy Bottoms from the film "Johnny Got His Gun":

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2004, 11:29:57 AM »

I don't know any specific monologues, but my absolute favorite Shakespeare show is A Rock 'n' Roll Twelfth Night that was written by two brothers for Harlequin Productions, here in Olympia, WA! ;)

The classic Rock version of "Twelfth Night" was

The score's notes comment that the $500,000 paid for the screen rights was the highest ever paid (thru 1968) for an off-Broadway proptery. The back page also trumpets:

Look for National General's Screen Presentation of "Your Own Thing" scheduledd for Roadshow Enagagements in late 1970.

Gee, I wonder what happened?

Maybe it fell victim to "Paint Your Wagon's" fiasco of the following year (1969).

der Brucer (who thinks PYW gave birth to the immortal phrase, "What WERE they thinking!")

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2004, 11:32:43 AM »

JRand:

Is this a version of a US Senator addressing a colleague?

Michael

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2004, 11:34:47 AM »

There should be a recount!!! Bruce wasn't nominated for the Country Western Reality Show he did!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2004, 11:38:52 AM »

Emily from yesterday:

...I also have been known to say "valise" instead of "suitcase", "chip" instead of "fries" (don't ask me where that one came from) and "RAD(like "cad")-iator" instead of "RAID-iator" for "radiator".

Well, I said it "RAD" until I was in college. (As a Philly born-and-bred lad I lived in "Amurica", dead folks were found in "Sumateries", I drank lots of "warter", and both "prune" and "mine" were two syllable words.)

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2004, 11:43:02 AM »

Did you say gaz for gas?

Jane

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2004, 11:43:28 AM »

Hearts of the West

Now I’m in the mood to watch HEARTS OF THE WEST.

Panni, no but mail from and to California tends to be slow.  In fact mail sent on the same day to our children, at the time one living in Michigan and the other in San Francisco, always arrived in Michigan first.  I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2004, 11:56:11 AM »

You'd think that as an English major, I would give a flying fig (or at least a gliding fig) about Shakespeare. And I probably would, if I ever read any of it. I can fake my way through Hamlet like you wouldn't believe.

So, my favorite monologue:

LISTER: Have you ever read any of it?

RIMMER: I've seen "West Side Story." That's based on one of them.

LISTER: Yeah, but have you actually read any?

RIMMER: Not all the way through, no. I can quote some, though.

LISTER: Go on, then.

RIMMER: (Declaims grandly) "Now..." (Long pause.) That's all I can remember.

LISTER: Where's that from, then?

RIMMER: Richard III , you moron. The speech that he does at the beginning. (Declaims) "Now..." something something something. It's brilliant writing. It really is. Unforgettable.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2004, 11:56:41 AM »

Could be derBrucer - many politicians make a point of showing theirs!  LOL

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2004, 11:59:33 AM »

Heard on the radio in Indiana:

Now is your chance to see live on stage at the Tipton Theatre:

"Ca-ROW-sell" - one of Rodgers & Hammerstein's most famous musicals.

Tickets on sale now for "Ca-ROW-sell"

The announcer pronounced it to rhyme arousal!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up