News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEW!  (Read 19855 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHEW!
« on: July 15, 2004, 11:59:45 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've had your fun, you've had your way with the notes, the notes have had their way with you, everyone is up to the minute, notes-wise, and now it is time to post and then post again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 12:01:14 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:WHEW!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 12:08:22 AM »

First Post Dance:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:17:24 AM »

I LOVE The Manhattan Transfer (and Cheryl Bentyne, who is a member)!!

Anyway, in addition to the Demo-Burger that I had last night, I also had a Jumbo Canadian Hot Dog, a Hot Fudge Sundae Brownie (with walnuts for 25˘ extra), a HUGE basket of fries with too much ketchup (or catsup, if you prefer...I now have three, that's right, THREE, ketchup stains on my shirt) and part of a mocha ice cream cake.  Yes, much food was had by all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:18:16 AM »

At the moment I listening to a compilation for Cameo/Parkway recordings I purchased from Canada.
Does anyone out there remember "Wild Thing" by Senator Bobby or Mellow Yellow by Senators Bobby and  McKinlay?

My most played Cd of this year would be Katie Melua "Call Off The Search". "The Closest Thing to Crazy" has been played so often. IMHO a far more enjoyable recording than those by the much lauded Nora Jones.
DVD: Most recent viewing would be The Mickey Mouse collection. I am amazed at the quality of these pieces of Art from the 1930's.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:19:32 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:26:33 AM »

My 1500th Post!!

As for the Topic of the Day:

In my DVD player:  "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour."  I watched this on Comedy Central a few months ago and couldn't stop laughing, especially when all four of the guys (Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy) are all on stage together.  HYSTERICAL...unless you don't like their kind of humor.  Which I didn't realize that I did.

In my CD player:  the audio portion of a high resolution audio-DVD (I made a CD-R) of Cheryl Bentyne's "Among Friends," with Emmy nominee Grant Geissman on guitar!  After that will be Cheryl's predecessor in The Manhattan Transfer, Laurel Massé and her very first recording, for the first time on CD, "Alone Together," which I got directly from Laurel herself (and she autographed every copy she sold)!

In my VCR:  a tape of last night's "The Graham Norton Effect."  After that (on the same tape) I'm going to tape "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy:  The British Version" on Saturday (I missed taping it the first time that it was on).

And on my Record Player (yes, vinyl):  "Songs of New York" (from Book-of-the-Month Records), which, if I remember correctly, has songs orchestrated by our very own Elmore!!

George

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »

Nighty-night!

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:30:10 AM »

Update: Now listening to Richard Maltby "Swinging Down The Lane"/"Hello Young Lovers".

Congratulations on your 1500 DR George.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:32:24 AM »

Cameo Parkway...DR TOMovOZ...ah yes.  I loved to hear Chubby Checker singing "Bobba Needle!"    ....do you hear her calling?  Whew!

Sounds as though What If is coming along well and everyone is having fun.  No meltdowns, no bloodletting.....continued good vibes!!!

CD PLAYER:  Guys Haines solo CD.

DVD PLAYER: Hercules In the Haunted World, a very strange film.

VHS:  DuBARRY WAS A LADY - I love Red and Lucy!!  And Cole Porter.

DRJAY - I keep forgetting to tell you, I really enjoyed your opinion of the opera singer and his recital as opposed to the review that was posted by another DR.  It seems as though the reviewer was not on the same WAVE LENGTH as the audience and performer.  Interesting.....

Yes DRtd - THE APPLE is coming.....hey hey hey BIM is on the way!!!

Thursday night DR's, yes I received applause on my egress...the most EVER!!!  This was our best audience.  Mr. Massoula also received exit applause.....but the biggest laugh EVER in this play was received by Mr Banks when he sat down and revealed that his tuxedo pants were not zipped up!  Yes....as they say in French....la mem chose!

Mr Massoula and I took the opportunity - during the curtain call - to get back the attention we need by finishing our bows with a glance at our zippers to make sure we weren't being struck with a Talon moment.  More laughs - a scream or two - and a legend was born!  I love live theatre.

FATHER OF THE BRIDE will be the talk of every convenience store checkout and garage sale in Putnam County tomorrow....not to mention the groups that meet at the post office!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 06:01:32 AM »

No media is accessible to us right now.

Tuesday night, the mother-in-law called from Kennedy Airport to say she was coming to visit.  Since then, she's been sprawled on our couch watching the DVD to Two Towers Lord of the Rings on an endless loop.  Her possessions are spread all over the living room.  So, we can't see a DVD, a VHS, listen to a CD, tape, or even watch TV, let alone sit on the couch.  DW Joy is substantially more upset about this than I am
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 06:07:58 AM »

CD - Julie Wilson sings Cole Porter and an Ethel Merman compilation

DVD - BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE (and all the extras) and the Angela MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE which I'm watching again instead of --- not in addition to --- seeing the Meryl Streep remake

VHS - The Lila Quartermaine funeral/Anna Lee tribute
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 06:31:57 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD/Car: And the World Goes Round
CD/Office:  Ripley/Skinner DUETS
DVD: Empty
VCR: Last night's Big Brother, which I didn't really need to tape since we were home in time to watch it.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 06:33:57 AM »

BTW (by thw way, in internet lingo):  DR D-i-T: I thought your story about Banjo and Truffles was lovely.  It has love and compassion oozing out of it all over the place: between you and Gord; between the two of you and your canines (but not molars); and finally, between Banjo and Truffles.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 06:48:58 AM »

What is a Canadian hot dog?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 06:58:25 AM »

Friday Media Check:

LP - LADY IN THE DARK (the Rise Stevens/Adolph Green studio recording)

I've just finished the chapter in DAZZLER that deals with LADY IN THE DARK and thought this would be an appropriate time to listen to it. I've got the Maria Friedman version on CD, but I thought this LP would hit the major music.

DVD - REMAINS OF THE DAY followed by either THE BIG STORE or MONKEY BUSINESS, in need of another Marx Bros. fix.

CD - THE HOLLYWOOD MUSICAL disc 3 which covers 1940-45. Starts with Deanna Durbin's "Waltzing in the Clouds" so of course I'm in heaven.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 07:01:11 AM »

DR George, let me know your opinions about the British version of QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY. It was nice for a change to see another interpretation of the show with five different personalities, and their subject is as charming and loving a man as could have been found. His camaraderie with the Brit Fab Five is palpable. Actually, the only irritating aspect of the show was his wife who laughed far too much into the camera. A nice change, but next week the American Fab Five take on a 60ish year old man which should be very fun and very different.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 07:03:49 AM »

I will agree with those who don't think SIX FEET UNDER this season quite measures up to previous seasons, but it's still so head and shoulders above most of what's out there that I don't care. I still hang on every move that Nate makes as he wavers uncertainly back into some kind of life for himself. David and Keith, who have always been the focus of my interest, have become the least interesting characters this year. Keith's storyline has been uninteresting, and David doesn't have a storyline (yet), the hot sex with the plumber notwithstanding.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 07:06:59 AM »

HBO was kind of smart scheduling their two more acclaimed drama series so they wouldn't have to face-off against one another at the Emmys. I think that's prevented either of them from winning in years past. I'm hoping THE SOPRANOS finally wins its long overdue Best Drama Series Emmy this year. The past season was really excellent.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 07:09:40 AM »

I saw the article about George Eads late last night and didn't come back here to post about it. I am disappointed that he'd think he could negotiate a raise (a) on a show where characters are far less important than procedures (b) without gaining the rest of the cast's efforts to join him.

The only reason the FRIENDS stars were able to negotiate so successfully was that all six banded together - without them there was no show.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2004, 07:13:15 AM »

I keep forgetting to watch Queer Eye! It seemed to be constantly in re-runs and I guess I lost interest. I must get back into it...what channel is the British version on?

Panni...George Eads fired! Who would fire George Eads? I would hire George Eads! I would never fire him!!

...of course I have never watched that show that he is on! LOL! But if he is ever on another show like his SAVANNAH then I am there!

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 07:14:28 AM »

What do you wanna bet it was his agent's idea!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2004, 07:42:18 AM »

Stuart,

Thanks so much for your nice comments.

There's even more to the story. We were now up to three dogs - Banjo, Truffles, and an Afghan Hound named Pooch. One day I came home from work to find this note: "Madame Bovary has been walked, but please feed her." Madame Bovary was a Borzoi and, I assumed correctly, another dog Gord had been visiting at the pet store.

But I made a decision. Three was enough - for the other dogs' sake, and for mine. I tried not to warm up to Madame B., and the next day at work I let it be known that we had a dog for sale. Gord had paid a walloping $300 for her (this was thirty years ago). He just couldn't bare to see this long-legged dog languish in a pet store without proper exercise. Fortunately, there was a pretentious salesman at the firm where I worked. I played up the snob appeal of owning a Borzoi, we negotiated for $150, and I gladly took a loss. I received regular updates on Madame Bovary, renamed Sasha, who seemed to enjoy her new home.

George

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2004, 07:55:36 AM »

I keep forgetting to watch Queer Eye! It seemed to be constantly in re-runs and I guess I lost interest. I must get back into it...what channel is the British version on?

It's on Bravo.  As part of the regular (American) "Queer Eye" season, they just showed an episode of the British version.

George

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2004, 07:57:28 AM »

What is a Canadian hot dog?

I don't know if they are truly "Canadian" or if it's just a marketing ploy, but they're very good.  It's definitely not your average kind of hot dog.  I think they're supposed to be pure beef.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 07:59:36 AM by George »

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2004, 07:59:52 AM »

The VARIETY article mentioned that George and Jorja Fox (also fired) were both making about $100,000 an episode for the show, and had been given a nominal raise for this season (their contracts had two more years to go and they were both fired for breach of contract). Fox was allegedly surprised there was a problem, seemingly having no knowledge of what her agent was doing in trying to negotiate a higher salary. I find that hard to believe.

Obviously, CBS was not about to get drawn into another show-salary war like what happened last year on EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2004, 08:11:40 AM »

My 1500th Post!!

And on my Record Player (yes, vinyl):  "Songs of New York" (from Book-of-the-Month Records), which, if I remember correctly, has songs orchestrated by our very own Elmore!!

DRGeorge, congrats on the 1500!  You are your own frenzy.

"Songs of New York!" My first recording.  McGlinn assigned all the period and vaudeville songs to me because he'd just heard some work I'd done on Friml's THE FIREFLY in concert (songs but not original 1912 orchestrations were in the MacDonald-Eddy film version) and thought I only did operetta, so it was a blast to do the big band "Don't monkey with Broadway" for Joe Papp.  I'm still fond of that recording, and I wonder why I never see copies of it in any form - audiocassette, vinyl, or CD - anywhere.

TOD:  I'm vegetating this week before my work load resumes on Monday, so I'm vague today.  I have noidea what I'm listening to yet, or what to watch.  I can tell you what I did yesterday:

CD:  Kritzer Time, Guy Haines' album, Mendelssohn Scottish Symphony
DVD:  Tuck Everlasting, not bad but not nearly so good as the amazing book

Today I have to find my SEENEY TODD vocal score in the rubble, DRJose!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 08:15:58 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2004, 08:31:52 AM »

Ah DR George I was wondering if Canadian hot dogs were something like Canadian bacon.  Does anyone know why it is called that?  It drives me crazy cause it's not bacon, it's ham!  And I've never heard that term here.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2004, 08:32:25 AM »

It's definitely not your average kind of hot dog.  I think they're supposed to be pure beef.

Average hot dogs ARE pure beef.....if you're kosher.  Try a Hebrew National, and you'll have a taste of what is to me a real hot dog.  (Not that I keep strictly kosher, but I don't eat pork.  Or shellfish.  Or meat and dairy together.)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 08:46:33 AM »

Friday Media Check:

LP - LADY IN THE DARK (the Rise Stevens/Adolph Green studio recording)

I've just finished the chapter in DAZZLER that deals with LADY IN THE DARK and thought this would be an appropriate time to listen to it. I've got the Maria Friedman version on CD, but I thought this LP would hit the major music.

DVD - REMAINS OF THE DAY followed by either THE BIG STORE or MONKEY BUSINESS, in need of another Marx Bros. fix.

The Risë Stevens/Aldolp Green recording is availbale on CD together with extra material - Danny Kaye singing six numbers from the show including "Jenny" and "My Ship".

Now then DRs - can you connect the LP (Lady in the Dark) with the DVD (Marx Brothers) in the requisite six degrees or less?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 08:50:06 AM »

Well, Moss Hart wrote the libretto for LADY IN THE DARK, and he was married to Kitty Carlisle who co-starred in A NIGHT AT THE OPERA.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 08:55:57 AM »

But I made a decision. Three was enough - for the other dogs' sake, and for mine.

I tried that line once, and failed miserably. I believe an exact quote would have been "No way am I driving across country with 5 dogs in the car!". (And you were only dealing with 1 more - I had Blond twin adolescents with which to contend.)

Though I would have thought that adding two more to the family would be unfair to the three we had, it turns out that they are all the happier with the added playmates.  (And the blonds have learned to share "qualiity time" with me laying on the bed and gazing out of the window at the squirrels and birds cavorting in yard.)

der "always a sucker for puppy" Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up