Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELLY SHOES  (Read 17523 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SMELLY SHOES
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2004, 07:00:47 PM »

I'm hearing what you have to say, Jane. I just got back from grocery shopping. That's about all I have to say for you to hear.

Panni

« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2004, 07:01:27 PM »

And one for the turtle!

Panni

« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2004, 07:02:19 PM »

Now I'm going to eat something, so you're on your own again.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2004, 07:06:36 PM »

Well, here's today's laugh for those of you who may love both Brasilian music and Broadway musicals (and who doesn't?  ;D).  I was perusing the credits for Bebel Gilberto's new CD (she's the daughter of Joao Gilberto and second wife Miucha, who is Chico Buarque's sister--got that?)--and the synthesizer programming is by Alexis Smith.  Things that make me go "hmmmmm...."  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2004, 07:09:15 PM »

Speaking of documentaries, WHAT THE #$*! DO WE KNOW? (I have read it is a documentary but the description of the movie doesn’t sound as if it is one.) is at our local theater, but at the odd time of 3:30.  We prefer matinees so we haven’t gone.

SUPER-SIZE is now showing in town at a more reasonable time.  Hopefully we will catch it, especially since our son said we should see it.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2004, 07:19:16 PM »

JMK-overdue email on it's way.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2004, 07:22:26 PM »

Ann how does your head feel now?  Better I hope.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2004, 07:24:15 PM »

I have had a most boring but productive day. And my head feels better.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »

Tomovoz how was your Christmas in July?

Panni

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2004, 07:37:12 PM »

I went to the market and bought anything that seemed good, even if it made a bizarre meal. So I just had grilled vegetables and vegetarian sushi for supper.

My landlord hosed down the turtle and was pleased that he ate all the grapes and lettuce put out for him. He actually moves pretty fast (the turtle, that is).

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2004, 07:41:04 PM »

DR Jane, re: Along Came Polly.

It was cute, but not as good as 50 First Dates (with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore).  I found that movie to be funnier, and sadder, and much better.

I think Adam Sandler is hilarious.  Ben Stiller is funny, but he can sometimes be annoying.  And Jennifer Aniston is comedic and sweet, but not a fantastic actress in this movie.

And it was so short.  On my dvd player it said 1 hr 24, and I think that was with the previews.

But it was good for a few laughs.

I was thinking of taking out a few other movies.  One was the Neve Campbell ballet movie (something with Company in the title, is it In the Company?).  I also wanted to see the teen flick Chasing Liberty.  Big Fish.  Calendar Girls.  The Girl with the Pearl Earring.  And I know there are more new ones than that.

Panni

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2004, 07:43:55 PM »

As it's pet day, here's a photo I just took of Abie resting on my bed.

Danise

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2004, 07:46:43 PM »

Evening all!  What a day!  What a DAY!

It's been raining or near rain almost all of last night and today.  Top that off with the old HP finely making it's last gasp.  Yes, I woke up to a dead computer.  It's been tell me for over a year that the hard drive was ready to crash and this morning it crashed, rolled and burned.  Well, at least one of those things.   :)

So we all know what that means!  I had to get a new computer.  There was no way I was going to spend the money on getting the old one fixed.  I hated it to much.  

Between shopping for the new computer and doing all the other shopping I need to do, I have just only just had the time to set the new computer up and  give it the first "test" drive.   Of course the first place I had to go was here.  

Well, I made it.  And to prove it, I'm here.  

The print is horribly small.  I'l have to fix that but other than that, it's looking good!

I also found $16.00 today.  It was sittng by the van when I came out of Best Buy.  I had to buy a head cleaner for my video camera.  I should be able to hook the video camera up to the new computer and burn my own DVD's.  I can't wait to transfer some of my tapes over.  I have a couple that are on shakey ground.  I hate that about tapes.  When I make some DVD's I'll make 2 so I can put one back.

Well, I hate to post and run but I need to set the rest of this thing up.  It might take me a day or so to get everything back up to speed.  I need to get my PDA hooked up so I can sync my address book to the mail program.  

At least I now know I can get on the net and I can post.  Hoo and Ray!

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2004, 07:47:20 PM »

DR George, I got my SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT from Deep Discount during their 20% off sale, so I'm sorry they left you down on that. It had to have been a fluke. Hope you can eventually get a copy. It's WELL worth owning.

Watched S.W.A.T. in HBO-HD tonight. What a predictable, mundane action movie. Samuel Jackson and Colin Farrell, both very capable actors, wasting their time on such rubbish.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2004, 07:48:17 PM »

Boy, I'm so tired I keep dozing off.  Just had a meeting with our set designer, who's terrific, and we're on the same page and we'll have a simple, yet elegant black-box set that will do some interesting things.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2004, 07:50:43 PM »

Seems like a very quiet night all over the internet tonight. I guess I'll log off and head for bed. Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2004, 08:00:58 PM »

I should go to bed... But my favorite documentary film maker in terms of a body of work is the late Donald Brittain who did some extraordinary films for the National Film Board of Canada. I love documentaries, so I have a long list. I'll start with BEST BOY; DON'T LOOK BACK; WHEN WE WERE KINGS; KINDERTRANSPORT (INTO THE ARMS OF STRANGERS); JAZZ ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON. Okay, that's it for now. But there are lots of others I want to include... Tomorrow.

The NFBC did some extraordinary documentaries when the US was producing ones on the lines of Disney True Life Adventures.
There were some amazing documentaries I had the good fortune to see over the years. One I remember was Norman Jewison Filmaker. Made while he was  shooting Fiddler On the Roof. It gave me (at the time) an interesting look at filmmaking. There are many others I have seen and no longer remember their titles. They were informative, thought provoking and entertaining. Unfortunatly I don't think there is a place for the NFB style of filmmaking any more.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2004, 08:05:35 PM »

Oh my - well be sure to get the Capezio Dance Sneakers.  I have found them comfortable and non aromatic under all circumstances!

Documentaries...well....   ;D

A couple of Pennebaker films to begin with:

COMPANY: THE MAKING OF THE CAST ALBUM - the DVD with commentary.

MOON OVER BROADWAY - the DVD with commentary.

KINDERTRANSPORT - mentioned by DR PANNI, I believe.

THE MAKING OF 'A NIGHT TO REMEMBER' - on the ANTR DVD, producer William MacQuitty and author Walter Lord are interviewed extensively.

I will some others to the other DR's.

Company was the first and best of its kind. All the others since have been nothing been 60 minute commercials. They rarely show the flaws, egos and bad moments.

Moon Over Broadway. I thought it was terrible how they treated Carol Burnett and I wonder if she knew how the writer and the director really felt about here. It was interesting to see how a mediocre playwright and director worked to get a cast to opening night on Broadway with a cast that was too good for the material. People who thought James Kirkwood memoir on Legends with Channing and Martin was farfetched would enjoy this film because it still happens!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2004, 08:07:20 PM »

Abie is too cute there.  Keep up the turtle stories, I’m enjoying them.  Your landlords sound like very nice people.

Thanks Jennifer.  Now I will know what to expect when I get around to watching it.

Danise a new computer is always nice-and you can burn DVD’s.  That is great.

Keith is waiting for me.  Goodnight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2004, 08:14:39 PM »

Good Evening!

-Just taking a break from my work today...

So far, so good.  And I'm actually further along than I thought I would be at this time.  I basically just have one and a half songs to finish transcribing, and then it's just a bunch of "little things".

I ended up sleeping in today - unexpectedly.  I guess the week caught up with me.  But even with my late start, I seem to be on track.

Well, I need to get some dinner... Hmm.. Maybe another walk down to The House of Pies is in order... Hmmm...

Well, I'll check back in later...

Laters...

Oh, DR SWW - Thanks for the "Good Eats" reminder.  -Thankfully, I have TiVo here! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2004, 08:18:44 PM »

I've been part of two documentaries. One that was eventually released by National Film Board of Canada and one by the Canadian Broadcasting Coproration. The NFB film I was lead actor and narrator for Hypothalamus: The Anatomy of Desire. I played a doctor who talks about the Hypothalamus gland determining ones sexuality. The director ran out of money and went to the film board for financing they agreed to help him out but he had to scrap all the "fictiona" portions of the film as it was too close in style to another documentary they did on Lesbian Pulp Fiction Novels. (Which is a lot of fun BTW) So my only lead in the film was cut out.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »

Michael Shayne - A few of of Don Brittain's outstanding docus:
Volcano: An Inquiry into the Life and Death of Malcolm Lowry (narrated by Richard Burton);  Buster Keaton Rides Again; Memorandum; Paperland.

And this from the Internet:
Donald Brittain is well-known for his National Film Board documentaries, all of them shown on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). In the 1980s Donald Brittain directed his first dramatic film, Running Man, an early exploration of homosexuality, in the CBC's topical anthology For the Record.
(Written by guess who?)

Michael

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2004, 08:20:53 PM »

The CBC documentary used clips from the a play I wrote and directed. At the end I found out that I was acknowledge as the writer of those segments. The Writers Guild of Canada went to bat for me and got a written promise that all the other showings will credit me and my partner as writers and creators of the play that was shown in the documentary.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2004, 08:22:43 PM »

Volcano: An Inquiry into the Life and Death of Malcolm Lowry (narrated by Richard Burton);  Buster Keaton Rides Again; Memorandum; Paperland.

Donald Brittain is well-known for his National Film Board documentaries, all of them shown on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). In the 1980s Donald Brittain directed his first dramatic film, Running Man, an early exploration of homosexuality, in the CBC's topical anthology For the Record.
(Written by guess who?)

An interesting companion piece to the Buster Keaton documentary is the Railroader which was the short film he was doing for the  NFB while the documentary was being filmed
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2004, 08:23:56 PM »

"I played a doctor who talks about the Hypothalamus gland determining ones sexuality."
...Ben Casey?

Michael

« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »

(Written by guess who?)
\

The Running Man that was the Arnold Schwartenager sci fi film right? ;D

Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2004, 08:25:08 PM »

I saw the Keaton NFB film years ago. Really good, as I recall.

Panni

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2004, 08:28:02 PM »

\

The Running Man that was the Arnold Schwartenager sci fi film right? ;D

You'd be surprised how many people think it is! Especially because the posters and many of the ads said THE Running Man, when I kept telling them there was no "THE"...  
You should have seen the hate mail for the film. I still have some of the letters. We were condemned in Parliament.

Michael

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2004, 08:34:13 PM »

You'd be surprised how many people think it is! Especially because the posters and many of the ads said THE Running Man, when I kept telling them there was no "THE"...  
You should have seen the hate mail for the film. I still have some of the letters. We were condemned in Parliament.

The X BTW was the Arnold film poster of THE Running Man that didn't show up.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2004, 08:37:45 PM »

The 198l season opened .... followed, as did Running Man, which starred Charles Shamata in Anna Sandor's story of a middle-aged man discovering his own homosexuality, which was the first dramatic film directed by documentarian Donald Brittain.

I remember seeing this on TV. I had remember seeing Chuck Shamata in play at the Lennoxville Theater Festival. I enjoyed his work and he proved to be a wonderful actor with this part
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 08:52:01 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up