Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRUX OF THE MATTER  (Read 18260 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CRUX OF THE MATTER
« on: July 19, 2004, 12:02:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've divined their crux, both thin and thick, and now it is time for you to post until the crux of the cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 12:01:02 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE CRUX OF THE MATTER
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 12:16:10 AM »

I did a quick check.  I think the TC film you're thinking of is Da Prince Who Wuz a Theef...uh...The Prince Who Was a Thief.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:20:12 AM »

Farce: First one that came to mind (only saw it a couple of weeks back) is the wonderful "Noises Off".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:54:11 AM »

Pogue performing in his favourite farce.  A FLEA IN HER EAR.  Others: Noises Off.  Move Over, Mrs. Markham.  Films: Arsenic & Old Lace; One, Two, Three.  Boy Meets Girl.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 02:22:59 AM »

Woke up at 2 AM, so I thought I'd post now instead of morning because I'm having Internet troubles.
Farces - I gues NOISES OFF must be considered a modern favorite. Also, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM. Others I later.
Classic farce - TARTUFFE, A FLEA IN HER EAR. More later.
Would TO BE OR NOT TO BE be considered a farce? if yes, put it among my film faves. I'm too tired to pick a Marx Brothers film so you fill in the blank.
More tomorrow if it doesn't take me an hour to post.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 02:49:57 AM »

I would vote for "To Be Or Not To Be" as a farce. (the Mel Brooks Version) - the inspired by (promotion tool!) the film "Hitler Rap" was a #1 record here in OZ.  Great fun.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 04:51:50 AM »

Of course world politics would be a farce too if it were not for the tragedy wrought by the politicians.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 04:54:18 AM »

Not yet 10.00 pm here. We have just watched "Priscilla - Queen Of The Desert".. First viewing for quite a while. Really don't think it could have been made so successfully anywhere else. It certainly did not harm the actors. Delightful show.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 05:05:08 AM »

Good morning East Coast people. (Ben, Larry & Dan).
And Good night from OZ.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 05:05:43 AM »

Sorry! Missed you there Emily. Have a great day everyone.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 05:06:09 AM »

Can't get it right.

& Jason.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 05:09:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  Last night after "Six Feet Under" I wanted to post about it, but I realized I was spoiling it for the West Coast viewers.  I think last night, with its fag-bashing episode, it jumped the shark for me:  as soon as they dumped the corpse and Jake's psychopathic behavior was evident, the uptight David's actions from then on seemed totally out of character.  Since my memory of LA is nothing but traffic, I could never figure out why they seemed to be driving through an empty city.  Why David's smart character was so stupid to trust again and again such a sleazy liar, even if the sexual attraction was so high, boggles my mind.  Overall, everyone in the family last night seemed to be on a major self-pity poor-little-me-I'm-so-empty kick (Every damned one of them!) that I wanted to kick the television.  I hope Ruth files for divorce ASAP, that David gets his ass sued by the family of the body he dumped,  that Claire becomes a vegetable from chemicals in the photographic film, and Nate finally realizes his life is empty and gets on with it or follpows my advice and dies.  I was surprised to find Brenda's flakey mother the most together last night. End of rant.

Farces:  DR Panni, I love TARTUFFE, but I've never thought of it as a farce because it's got such a serious undercurrent, any more than I'd think of THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST as a farce.

So, I love Georges Feydeau a lot:  
  HOTEL PARADISO (Peter Glenville adaptation of L"HOTEL DU LIBRE ECHANGE)
  A FLEA IN HER EAR (John Mortimer adaptation of LA PUCE A L"OREILLE)
  THE LADY FROM MAXIM'S (John Mortimer's adaptation of LA DAME DE CHEZ MAXIM)
   Mortimer's adaptation of L'HOTEL is called A LITTLE HOTEL ON THE SIDE but I've always like Glenville's title and script
  THE KITTY (Eugene Labiche)
  LOOK AFTER LULU (Noel Coward's version of Feydeau's OCCUPE-TOI D'AMELIE
  CHARLEY'S AUNT (Brandon Thomas)
  Offenbach's LA VIE PARISIENNE belongs not in an opera house but on a stage full of singing comedians; Meilhac and Halevy wrote a farce for the libretto
  NOISES OFF (Frayn)
  LEND ME A TENOR (Ludwig)
  A lot of the early Kern libretti by Wodehouse and Bolton - OH, BOY! and OH, LADY! LADY! are farces
  A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM (I love this show, but as a former classics major, I admit the original Plautus comedies leave me a bit cold)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 05:14:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 05:23:02 AM »

How could I have forgotten ARSENIC AND OLD LACE,  the best farce of the 1940s? The movie ain't bad, either, but it does clean up things a bit.  I think Joe Orton's LOOT, for all its underlying savagery and anti-Catholicism, is a brilliant farce.  WHAT THE BUTLER SAW is equally funny, but I think Orton would have done some smart edfiting if he'd ever seen it on its feet.

Movies:  DUCK SOUP
            A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
            THE FULLER BRUSH MAN
            THE PALEFACE
            THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 05:45:18 AM »

Good morning all!  Nice to see so many people on the board.  See what I miss when I have to go to work?  Have I ever mentioned that work is a four letter word?  Awww it's not that bad but does seem to take up a great deal of my time.   :)  I could be doing other things like talking with my friends at HHW.

I go for my pre op in about an hour which is why I am not at work.  This part is easy, I know.  Nothing to be scared of.  That will come later in the week.

Jane, I tried to send you an e-mail which came back.  It seems I still have to messed up version of your e-mail address in my Pocket PC.  If you would be so kind as to send me your address again, I promise to make sure it is correct in every place I keep my addresses.  

I am finding some things that are missing or missed.  I can't find that count down program that I downloaded.  I can't remember where I down loaded it from.  

I also miss the Word Perfect that came with the old machine.  I don't really like the spell check in Word.  Word Perfect gave you the spelling and the meaning of the word.  I'll have to try to replace it.

I like that chat is going to be an hour earily.  I don't know why it is going to be an hour early but I wish it could be so more often.  

TCB!  Good to see you posting! Good vibes to you~~~~~~~~~~  Look on the bright side--if I had my way, you would have a broken arm right now!  Me and my poor vision!  

Poor RLP , that's not to make little of your pain.  I wish I could make it go away for you.  Good healing vibes your way as well! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta go get ready for my appointment then it's off to work from there.  I hate that it's raining again.  I don't like to drive as it is and to downtown, too!  Ugh.  Take care of yourselfs and I'll see you all at chat tonight!  One hour early!  Oh, boy!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 05:57:08 AM »

Why is there an ad for ASSASSINS tickets on the first page of this here site when it closed yesterday?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 06:09:10 AM »

DR Elmore, you were E&T, I believe,  when Tomovoz made the request several weeks ago that we not discuss SIX FEET UNDER in detail since Australia doesn't get the newest season until months after we see it. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

I'm sure there's no harm done as he can see where you're going with your comments and simply skip over them. I skipped them since I haven't had a chance to see the show yet. The phone rang five minutes before the show began, and I wasn't near the DVR to start it up, so I recorded the midnight (HBO-West) version and have yet to watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 06:11:25 AM »

Favorite farce: NOISES OFF. Unquestionably.

I do like many of the others mentioned here: FORUM, ARSENIC, ONE_TWO_THREE (which I believe will be my DVD for today).

Does YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU count? Or THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. I don't think they're farces strictly speaking, but they're certainly wild and woolly (Monty Woolley, that is).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:15:15 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 06:14:14 AM »

I agree with you, DR td, about THE ENGLISH PATIENT. It's not a film for every taste (several of my friends found it as tedious to sit through as I found THE LAST EMPEROR), but I do find it very moving and beautifully filmed.  

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 07:48:03 AM »

I've mentioned this before here when we've talked about farce, but I'll repeat it. The Neil Simon farce RUMORS seem to be the play of his that gets the most productions around this area. I've actually never seen a production, just have read the script. Does anyone like RUMORS?

LEND ME A TENOR gets a lot of productions, too.

Does BLACK COMEDY qualify as a farce. I really thought it was hilarious.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 08:42:57 AM »

While I've never seen Six Feet Under, I did see the ad that mentions a character named Kimmel.  I believe the name for the character was suggested by Leslie Kritzer

Mike Bencivenga had a farce at Lightning Strikes, Single Bullet Theory a few years ago, and its quality convinced me to work on his next theatrical endeavor, a play made out of Shakespeare's sonnets, with an original plot and setting.

I've always loved ONE, TWO, THREE and would love the rights to make it into a musical.   The entire rivalry with the Soviets called The Cold War seems so blithe and innocent compared to the mess we're in today.

And yes, on Broadway, I loved NOISES OFF.  Tom Stoppard's TRAVESTIES is many things, including a travesty of a farce.  If that counts, it's my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 09:05:32 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 08:53:45 AM »

Was unfortunately E & T this weekend and am now catching up with the posts. Do you ever find that you just don't feel right unless you are caught up on all of the missed posts?

Well, now I am caught up and current.

Had a wild and wooley weekend. Was supposed to go up to Vancouver and go swimming at my buddy Terry's place, but unfortunately he had a heart attack early Saturday morning, so rather then swimming we (my friend Mark and I) went to the hospital and visited. It was a mild heart attack and all should be well with that, but x-rays showed something not right in his lungs, which doesn't sound good at all. It was all quite a shock to me...Terry is younger then I am! He is a smoker, but jeez...you would think these things would happen a little later in life! Anyway, am hoping for the best as far as the cat-scan results go.

On a brighter note, after we visited Terry, his boyfriend, Terry's ex-wife and Terry's 3 kids, Mark and I went out to dinner in Portland (The Virginia Cafe). I had a delicious avacodo and swiss cheese hamburger. I would guess that JMK knows the Virginia Cafe and can verify that they have the most wonderful hamburgers!!

After dinner we decided to Scandels for a couple of drinks, then went to Boxxes where we met a very nice guy named Carl who we hung out with the rest of the evening. He is here on business from Colorado, and has a startling resemblance to Steve Reeves crossed with Tim McGraw ;D ...and he is one heck of a nice guy! I am pleased to say that Carl and I got along splendidly and much fun was had.

Sunday the three of us (Mark, Carl, and myself) headed out to Sauvie Island for fun in the sun and water. I got burnt to a crisp and my face, chest, and back are as red as a fire-truck! I need to heed DR Jane's advice and remember to take the sun-screen...but you know, it always seems to start out cloudy and then WHAM! the sun comes out of nowhere!

The river (I think it is the Columbia) was wonderfully warm and we spent a good amount of time in the water.

I am exhausted now and really did not want to come to work today!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 09:03:46 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 08:56:51 AM »

And to catch up on this weekends posts:

JANE, that picture of Abie was adorable!

Panni, that is so cool about the turtle. What a wonderful creature...who knew you could find something like that in the concrete jungle.

Ann, I thought Shy was a cutie. I am so glad you posted a pic!

JMK, your new dog as beautiful! What a nice addition to the family!!

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 09:16:57 AM »

Is chat still on for tonight?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »

As per notes, yes, chat is on for five.  I, too, love A Flea in Her Ear, especially the divoon Gower Champion production in 1969 - originally at ACT, then on Broadway at the ANTA (now the Virginia).

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2004, 09:38:56 AM »

Good morning. I will not post much today. Have to concentrate on work and am having Internet probs. Will log on more often after my writing is done for the day.

MBarnum - Abie lives at my house, not Jane's, but I'm sure he'd like her, too!

Larry - I respectfully disagree with some of what you said. I thought the episode was very powerful. I do agree that some of the characters are getting a little boring this season. But what you refer to as the "fag-bashing" story (that's not how I saw it) was, I thought, an incredibly powerful one-act play, rather than simply a story line.

As for TO BE OR NOT TO BE, I was talking about the Benny-Lombard version.

Danise - I don't know what procedure you're having done, but no procedure is pleasant... So I send you GOOD VIBES....

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2004, 10:09:10 AM »

LOL! Oh, I did write Jane didn't I! Woopsy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 10:09:11 AM »

Here is the crux of the matter: Where in tarnation IS everyone?  Just spent a half-hour answering the many questions of our befuddled publicist.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2004, 10:18:53 AM »

Penny I hope your head is better today.  It sounds as if your body might be a bit sore.

JRand even as a child I use to visit the old people in our neighborhood to listen to their stories.  Since most of my visits to the nursing center have been with Echo or on field trips (which they sadly don’t take anymore) I’m often working more than talking.  I have thought I might like to read once I can’t take Echo anymore.  I too have met some very interesting people, including authors and people in the arts.  Unfortunately most of them can’t tell me their stories anymore.  I have one very interesting gentleman I visit I adore.  He can’t hear anymore making conversation almost impossible.  I decided I’m going to start taking a pad and pen to write notes to him.  What really tears me apart are the people my age or younger.

Danise I sent you email.

MBarnum, you beat me to the punch mentioning sun-screen.  :D
GOOD HEALING VIBES TO YOUR FRIEND!

Jane

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 10:21:10 AM »

Bruce are you regretting keeping the publicist?  Everything else seems to be coming along nicely now.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2004, 10:23:38 AM »

Most of my favorite farces have already been mentioned.  I will think about it and post more later.  I keep thinking of screwball comedies such as WHAT’S UP DOC, but those don’t count.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up