Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOOTING THE BREEZE  (Read 20857 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:SHOOTING THE BREEZE
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2004, 06:36:09 PM »

Code Adam is a great idea, however….   I’m thinking of when I first allowed my children to go off on their own, maybe a few stores down or something like that.  A lockdown at that moment could be very frightening.  What if I were in one of the larger stores that stayed locked down for awhile and my child was allowed out of the smaller store-what then? ???

Jane

« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2004, 06:40:27 PM »

Page six dance.

Emily

« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2004, 06:43:33 PM »

Woody... do you work at the Egg Board by any chance?  :)

I do enjoy eggs now and again.  

I especially like how eggs have developed their own line of specialized cookware or dishware like egg cups, egg poachers, egg coddlers, egg spoons, etc.

My favourite way to cook an egg (foolproof for people who like fried eggs easy over but don't want to risk breaking the yolk):

1) take a piece of plain white sandwich bread (brown'll work too... but don't ever try using "good" European style bread - too many large sized yeast holes) and place it flat on a hard surface

2) take a plain drinking glass with a smallish diameter and turn it upside down on top of the slice of bread - with the rim touching the bread

3) press down and twist the glass slightly so that you produce a slice of bread with a perfectly round hole in the middle

4) melt some butter in a small pan

5) place the bread in the heated butter for about thirty seconds

6) crack an egg into the hole in the middle of the bread

7) season with salt and/or pepper

8) cook for three minutes on medium heat, flip, and then continue to cook for thirty seconds

Guaranteed not to have your yolk break!!! And there's no need to have to time the making of toast with when your egg will be ready... the two come to the table at the exact same time! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2004, 07:05:22 PM »

Emily I haven’t had a fried egg in years but I’m tempted to try your method-and I don’t even like over easy. :D

Michael

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2004, 07:14:48 PM »

Quick hello from Montreal after a hell ride from Atlanta. I swear I will never fly in those commutter planes again. Noisy. No air conditooning. Hard seats etc etc. More tomorrow folks
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2004, 07:56:49 PM »

Charles Pogue, if all goes well, when do you expect HERCULES to air?  Will you be traveling to New Zealand?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2004, 08:30:41 PM »

I fell asleep! Was totally exhausted. Just woke up a little while ago. Going out to get some food before Gelson's or Trader Joe's closes.
Back later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »

SWW & DerBrucer, how were the cookies?
They contain eggs.

I burnt the last two pans a bit.  But the rest are fine.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2004, 08:49:15 PM »

Greetings everyone from Vermont!  More specifically, the Burlington airport, where I have been sitting for the last four hours.  My father's plane was supposed to arrive just shortly before mine did at 8...but I got here to find that his flight out of Chicago had been delayed...and delayed...first to 10 pm, then to 12, now to 1:30.  Ugh ugh.  The Burlington airport is not very big, and I believe I now know every inch of it.  And I found this pay-by-the-minute computer thingy...highway robbery at $0.25 a minute for a dial up speed connection.  But I put in $5 so i could check mail, check my bank account, check my cell phone stats, and of course check up on HHW.   I don't have time to read any of the posts, sadly, but I thought I'd drop a note to everyone so no one wonders when I disappear for the next week while I'm at the lake with no internet (to my knowledge)   So everyone have a wonderful rest of the week/weekend, and I shall see you all upon my return next Wednesday! That is, assuming I'm not still waiting here in Burlington... :O

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2004, 09:03:26 PM »

...It's like the Wagner opera debate several months ago; friends I respect like Wagner, but I think he's a self-indulgent Nazi who needed to learn the meanings of style and economy in his composition...
Wagner died in 1883, long before the Nazi movement came into being.  This would make him a Proto-Nazi, or maybe an Ur-Nazi, but not a Nazi.

(Although this is one case where I defy anyone to claim that to Ur- is human.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2004, 09:12:01 PM »

We've really been living it up here in Wichita. We went to a glass-blowing place, and now my uncle is looking for a drug store,....
So sorry to hear that he got a pane.

Someone had to say it.

::)

François de Paris

« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »

This I found at
http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/arts/musReich.htm

Richard Wagner (1818-1883) was Hitler's favorite composer. During World War I, it is reported, he carried Wagner's music from Tristanin his knapsack. Often Hitler had Wagner's music performed at party rallies and functions. Wagner's music was uncompromisingly serious, and intensely Teutonic. It was not only Wagner's music that 'struck a chord' with Hitler, but also his political views. Wagner wrote a violently antisemitic booklet in the 1850s called Das Judebthum in die Musik (Judaism in Music) insisting the Jews poisoned public taste in the arts. He founded the Bayreuth festival, which in the 1930s and 1940s was used by the Nazi party as a propaganda tool against the Jews.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2004, 09:18:33 PM »

Well, things are looking up for me.  No, I still have the same computer (the one with the terminal terminal), but I did find out that I have been cast as Blore in TEN LITTLE INDIANS, to open the Fall theater season.  The show opens September 10th.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2004, 09:23:12 PM »

This I found at
http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/arts/musReich.htm

Richard Wagner (1818-1883) was Hitler's favorite composer. During World War I, it is reported, he carried Wagner's music from Tristanin his knapsack. Often Hitler had Wagner's music performed at party rallies and functions. Wagner's music was uncompromisingly serious, and intensely Teutonic. It was not only Wagner's music that 'struck a chord' with Hitler, but also his political views. Wagner wrote a violently antisemitic booklet in the 1850s called Das Judebthum in die Musik (Judaism in Music) insisting the Jews poisoned public taste in the arts. He founded the Bayreuth festival, which in the 1930s and 1940s was used by the Nazi party as a propaganda tool against the Jews.
Ah, the old "guilt by association" trip.  

Panni

« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2004, 09:29:09 PM »

Congratulations, TCB! (Funny, you don't look Indian...)

SWW - "To Ur is human"...   I know it's not allowed here, but GROANNNNNNNN!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2004, 09:33:17 PM »

And if, by any chance, any of the DRs has seen something called the Eggstractor in a store, take my advice...

[size=20]Do not buy this piece of *u**ing **a*![/size]

You may have seen the ads on television.  The makers claim that it easily extracts hard-boiled eggs from their shells, with a simple downward push on a plastic accordion.

DO NOT BELIEVE IT!  

The eggs have to be extremely hard-boiled, almost to the hardness of a diamond.  They also have to be very cold, almost frozen.  And the "simple downward push" requires more strength than any Hercules could provide.  Anything other than the above conditions results in a crumbled mess.

We've had more of these babies returned to the store with complaints about their being a total rip-off.  We've even taken to warning customers away from purchasing the contraptions, just to avoid having another dissatisfied return.

(On the other hand, we could all pool our money and purchase one for DR Noel's MiL, in appreciation for her generous and loving stay with her daughter and his truly.

Or not.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 09:35:38 PM by S. Woody White »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2004, 09:44:16 PM »

Thank you, Panni.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2004, 09:54:08 PM »

Congratulations, TCB!  One of my favorites, that show is.  I definitely plan to see it!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

François de Paris

« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2004, 09:57:57 PM »

Congrats to TCB, who does not look Indian but... if one uses some "guilt of association", he might!

LOL!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2004, 10:02:16 PM »

So sorry to hear that he got a pane.

Someone had to say it.

::)

Ha ha ha.

My brother is watching Comedy Central and I don't get it. Is it just me?  ???
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

François de Paris

« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2004, 10:08:54 PM »

Sandra,

You're not the only one because I don't have a TV set so I don't get Comedy Central either....

--- I know... it's NOT funny!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2004, 10:23:05 PM »

Congratulations, TCB!  One of my favorites, that show is.  I definitely plan to see it!

You had better see it, or you are out of the will.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2004, 10:25:01 PM »

I'm back but must run off to a little production meeting.  The notes may go up just a bit late tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2004, 10:34:21 PM »

Good news from DRCharlesPogue about the Hercules mini series....but I am repeating myself.  I hope they have a good production designer to build a B I G closet for Hercules!

I am watching HELL'S ANGELS the Howard Hughes movie and it's pretty good....on TCM.  I have never seen it with all the tinted sequences and the 2-strip Technicolor party sequence.  James Whale did a nice job with Jean Harlow and she is doing a better acting job here than I have seen her do....particularly in PUBLIC ENEMY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2004, 10:35:46 PM »

Oh my....the destruction of the German dirigible was very prescient of the film of the actual Hindenburg disaster.  It is a bit creepy to see it!

Hmmmmmmm.....I wonder if NBC would object to a WWI aviation movie because it would have to show bi-planes?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2004, 10:35:59 PM »

Nytol.

Panni

« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2004, 10:37:14 PM »

Accidently found out that Penn and Teller (which I never watch) featured the recycling episode that bk did a few months ago. So I tuned in. And so there was an outage of Showtime in this area. It was an annoying kind of outage in that the picture would be fine -- and then it would flicker and disappear. I did catch a bit of bk as The Recycling Man and he was funny. Well, actually he was quite seriious. The situation was funny. But then he disappeared. Showtime is still on as I write this and now it's perfect. So I'm wondering if it was the transmission of that particular show that had a glitch. I mean the show itself. Whatever. It's been that kind of day.

Panni

« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2004, 10:50:28 PM »

I am SO out of it tonight. Perhaps my brains are fried from my writing blitz. I was crossing the street at Laurel and Ventura - a rather major intersection - and suddenly noticed that all these turning cars were heading at me -- because I was thinking about something and just stepped off the curb and crossed without looking at the light.  :P

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2004, 11:02:06 PM »

Congratulations TCB. (Quick selective reading has just been completed!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2004, 11:08:55 PM »

I am SO out of it tonight. Perhaps my brains are fried from my writing blitz. I was crossing the street at Laurel and Ventura - a rather major intersection - and suddenly noticed that all these turning cars were heading at me -- because I was thinking about something and just stepped off the curb and crossed without looking at the light.  :P

Quick word of advice... DON'T DO THAT!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up